As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dieu et mon Dongs (Now just Paradox discussion)

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Or name them after the actor who played Oliver Wood in the Harry Potter movies, Sean Biggerstaff

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i fucking love this game, but my only real playthrough I made so many mistakes

So, doing about as well as the rulers at the time did, in other words?

(Half the fun of CK2 is watching the system unravel when someone screws something up..)

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I like multiplaying but Iunno how well CK2 does over the internet, I've had troubles with LAN.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    there are two finlands in my game

the christian finland
    and the muslim finland

ck2-tale-of-two-finlands~large.jpg

The muslim finland is the larger one

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the best thing about crusader kings is punny save file names

i nominate "basque in the spotlight"

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Started playing this yesterday, really wish my first person would die already because the next generation looks so much more interesting.

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Started playing this yesterday, really wish my first person would die already because the next generation looks so much more interesting.

Find a way to piss off your spymaster and you can usually measure your remaining lifespan in months

edited August 2013
    my final map (well, a few weeks short, but the real final looks the same)

ck2-roman-empire-final~large.jpg

Was gonna play EUIV now but apparently steam doesn't have enough cdkeys so it'll have to wait :<

End on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    but... won't your EUIV game be basically over right when you start?

edited August 2013
    EU involves the world at large, doesn't it?

well, yeah I guess I won't have as much competition as normal

End on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    EUIV has a bigger map, though, so you'll at least have some new faces to opress!

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    The emperor of the HRE had the bright idea to make me his spymaster

turns out it was super easy to kill him and even though everyone figured out it was me! (the plot even had no backers 161% chance to succeed) no one is really that upset that I murdered the previous king

such is life

icGJy2C.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I really wish I could find anything on how to mod CKII

not that I want to do anything to release generally, but just to mess about really

fuck gendered marketing
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    It's pretty easy from what I understand, unless you want to change the map.

Most of it is just changing files in notepad.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    It's pretty easy from what I understand, unless you want to change the map.

Most of it is just changing files in notepad.

I am given to understand that as well

But I can literally find nothing even remotely comprehensive to help

I'm just kind of going into files, saving copies, fucking with them and hoping nothing breaks

fuck gendered marketing
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Yeah I think it's just a text file edit.

I remember someone in the official forums saying they used it to slightly increase the rate of fabricating claims.

IKknkhU.gif
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    What are you looking to do? I've done a non-zero amount of modding experience in EU3 so I might be able to help.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    King Dunlaig of Ua Chennellaig has had an incredible reign; he clambered out on top of the Succession Wars in the first few years of his reign, (when he first received the "Scarred" trait after being wounded in battle) reunited the Kingdom of Ireland that his father had first brought together, and punished the Scots in multiple wars that have ended with the creation of the Kingdom of Wales. (he received the second grievous wound pushing the army of the King of Scotland himself into the sea from the Isle of Man) He has only one direct heir, but wishing to avoid a repeat of the long, bloody Secession Wars upon his "slow" son's probable ascension to the throne, managed to scrape just barely enough vassal opinion by to change the secession law to Elective Monarchy. My uncle, Prince Domnall, Duke of Ulster, Chancellor of Ireland, Earl of Tyrone and Uriel, High Seneschal to the Kingdom of Ireland, heir to the county of Tyrconnell, etc. etc. etc., now stands to inherit the throne and a sizable fortune upon what I assume is my imminent death given my extremely advanced age.

There have been a lot of upsets over the years; the English decided to take advantage of a weak moment and took back a single county in Wales with an army of 22k men, which was deeply troubling, so I married an English Countess who happens to be third in line for the throne behind her elder sister. (if the Pope comes 'round, tell him I married her because she's so much more pious than I and I hoped she would rub off on our children) I also accidentally declared war on Scotland while under truce so I lost a shit ton of piety and five diplomacy skill to the trucebreaker trait. I don't understand... any time you press a claim against a country, you can claim just it, declare peace, and then you have to wait ten fucking years before you can press another? Is there a way to escalate the war to include your other valid causus...es... belli so I wouldn't have had to wait ten years between taking a single province from the Scots? Can I at least press all my de jure claims at once?

Also, what is the plural form of "causus belli"?

I just wanted to share a few of the gems with you:

1) During the first Welsh Unification War, following from a de jure claim on one of the Counties of Deubarth, there was a small succession crisis in the Irish Empire, ("Gravity can be a harsh mistress") and this gem popped up:

gXMKtJl.jpg

Good luck with that, bro. I put this loser in jail because he dared fight for a man who refused to recognize how much better I am than he is. Unfortunately, this attitude makes Alan a sovereign citizen, and responsible for the safety of his person.

zwXAOfw.jpg

And then he complained about the conditions in his cell.

smh, Alan. smh. I had him thrown in the Oubliette. He died just before his 19th birthday, not that he had any idea what day it was.

2) In which the Queen of England (40) just absolutely has to get down on some of that hot, nasty, old Irishman:

KHCx93w.jpg

Ok, lady, whatever keeps you happy.

And finally, 3) europeanhistory.jpg:

esYQ7xB.jpg

• EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    End wrote: »
    my final map (well, a few weeks short, but the real final looks the same)

ck2-roman-empire-final~large.jpg

Was gonna play EUIV now but apparently steam doesn't have enough cdkeys so it'll have to wait :<

Just curious, what was your start date? I'm trying to do basically the same thing to import into EUIV.

On that note, holy shit this game has its hooks in me. Once I got the hang of the Byzantine Empire (also, on very easy because I'm a baby) I managed to hold it all together to mend the great schism, and then reform the Roman Empire proper. That's pretty much all the further I've gotten so far, but I plan on taking advantage of the imperial reconquest casus belli quite a bit as I push back into western Europe.

old gods

yeah, with imperial conquest you'll be able to expand fast

• EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    What's your policy on kingdoms End? I've been forming them whenever I can, but their de jure boundaries have been getting fucked up by inter-kingdom wars and them expanding on their own. That really only messes with my OCD, but is there a problem with this policy? I figure it's less direct vassals, and therefore less cats to herd.

In my Empire of Scandanavia game I destroyed every kingdom title because I was having problems with dukes(jarls, actually) who wanted to be kings.
    I have something like 110 vassals under me now which sounds like a nightmare to manage but they are all pretty happy and sort shit out between themselves without my input.
    Also every now and then a bunch of them band together and declare holy war on someone and conquer me a bunch of new territory.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Emporium wrote: »
    What's your policy on kingdoms End? I've been forming them whenever I can, but their de jure boundaries have been getting fucked up by inter-kingdom wars and them expanding on their own. That really only messes with my OCD, but is there a problem with this policy? I figure it's less direct vassals, and therefore less cats to herd.

Higher crown authority means your vassals can't fight each other and eventually that they can't wage war against anyone on their own.

All you need to keep your vassals from fighting each other is medium crown authority.

Of course that does mean that if they want to go to war with each other, and they very much do, they'll have to get you to lower the crown authority level, which is an issue they can raise on the battlefield as well as at court, so you'll need them to like you.
    premium wrote: »
    In my Empire of Scandanavia game I destroyed every kingdom title because I was having problems with dukes(jarls, actually) who wanted to be kings.
    I have something like 110 vassals under me now which sounds like a nightmare to manage but they are all pretty happy and sort shit out between themselves without my input.
    Also every now and then a bunch of them band together and declare holy war on someone and conquer me a bunch of new territory.

you're basically throwing away a huge amount of almost free (modest one-time cost in gold) prestige doing this, though

once you're an emperor, why not just add another layer of vassals under you? I don't have direct control of my counties now, why not let the most powerful members of my family control the lesser kingdoms and take my levies from them?

edited September 2013
    Emporium wrote: »

I always created them.

Weird borders can be convenient because it means you can raise the levies of many different kingdoms in more areas of the world.

Obvious downside is that while you have less people to keep happy, having an ambitious king under you can be a bit of a pain. I think usually it was worth it. I didn't start having really weird borders until I tried lowering my crown authority to limited to make vassals happier with a shit emperor (which didn't help, because I was also able to raise less levies).

If you look at my map (you can click to get the normal size), you'll notice that most vassals look like they are duke/county sized. That's actually just patchwork kingdoms to give you an idea how weird my internal borders got.

End on
    edited September 2013
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    premium wrote: »

you're basically throwing away a huge amount of almost free (modest one-time cost in gold) prestige doing this, though

once you're an emperor, why not just add another layer of vassals under you? I don't have direct control of my counties now, why not let the most powerful members of my family control the lesser kingdoms and take my levies from them?

When I had kingdoms, all the duke level vassals in a kingdom that I had direct control over had a constant -20 opinion modifier because of the "Desires the kingdom of x"
    And I didn't want to give up Ireland to anyone because all of Wales, some of England, some of Denmark and a little bit of Sweden and Norway all previously de jure drifted to Ireland so whoever holds the Kingdom of Ireland would be really dangerous when succession time rolls around.
    So I just decided to blow up all the kingdoms and now everyone has been super happy for the last 2 generations.

Also prestige is a thing that I'm not really worried about, my current Emporer is ~50 and has over 35k prestige already.

e. I guess my prestige is even higher than that, 44k

premium on
    edited September 2013
    Scandinavia circa 1097 and its royal family
    scandanavia1097_zps52d31b63.jpg

premium on
    edited September 2013
    ostensibly (aside from less vassals to deal with) you also want kingdoms because it spreads your empire's de jure area (since I guess it's defined by kingdoms and kingdoms can't be absorbed if they aren't created)

but I don't think I ever lost any area in my empire except when the kingdom of Jerusalem spontaneously lost all its vassals. Came in helpful there because being a de jure part of my empire meant they very willingly accepted my vassalization offer, but that was about it. Strangely, the kingdom of Jerusalem lost all its vassals 3 or 4 times so eventually I gave up and stopped creating it.

After a while I stopped directly holding kingdoms after a botched attempt to hand off my primary kingdom off to my heir early (he died and his infant son inherited the kingdom, while my heir became my next oldest son).

End on
    ostensibly (aside from less vassals to deal with) you also want kingdoms because it spreads your empire's de jure area (since I guess it's defined by kingdoms and kingdoms can't be absorbed if they aren't created)

but I don't think I ever lost any area in my empire except when the kingdom of Jerusalem spontaneously lost all its vassals. Came in helpful there because being a de jure part of my empire meant they very willingly accepted my vassalization offer. Strangely, the kingdom of Jerusalem lost all its vassals 3 or 4 times so eventually I gave up and stopped creating it.

After a while I stopped holding kingdoms on my own after a botched attempt to hand off my primary kingdom off to my heir early (he died and his infant son inherited the kingdom, while my heir became my next oldest son).

I'm the only Norse nation so de jure isn't really important to me. If I want something I just declare holy war and take it.

Alternatively you could have transferred the vassalage of the constituent Dukes and Earls to the Kings themselves and made the vassals their problems, which is how I handled the Earls that weren't family members of mine. My family makes for ruthless Dukes apparently, it only took a year or two before they had imprisoned or slain any landholder who wasn't related to us.

realistically the only people who could have taken land I owned were aztecs and mongols

and yeah...holy war works against them too

"Hey Germany, Thor totally said I could have your territory in Bavaria. If you'd like to lodge a complaint here is a stack of 300k armed men who would love to talk to you about it."

do your norse get a bonus to supply when invading or something

the only times I've ever had stacks of 300+k were to fight mongols with stacks of 200k horsemen because anywhere else would quickly obliterate that army (and I held them in boats)

do your norse get a bonus to supply when invading or something

the only times I've ever had stacks of 300+k were to fight mongols with stacks of 200k horsemen because anywhere else would quickly obliterate that army (and I held them in boats)

No, Norse just get a 30% levy bonus.
    Germany can only field about 20k men right now(and less every time we fight) so the stack of 300k is just because it's fun to mega overkill those 20k men, then I split the group up and siege pretty much every county at once.

Attrition is only calculated monthly so if you watch the clock you can plan around it so you don't lose too many guys

well, I guess I'm also more used to fighting in the middle east

most of the counties have abysmally low supply even if you own it and they take a long time to traverse, so supply can cause a lot of damage to an army

Even if I lose a bunch of guys I'm not too worried about it, nobody can really oppose me at this point.
    The pope called a crusade on me a few years ago. It was over within a few months. Rome was getting the shit sacked out of it before a single enemy soldier crossed into my empire.

have you fought the mongols yet?

have you fought the mongols yet?

No it's only 1097
    Still have a couple generations to fuck up Europe before I think about them.