Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Shadowrun: Hong Kong Director's Cut Is Out Right Now

1919293949597»

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Has anyone played the mobile versions of these, and if so, does anyone know if UGC works with the mobile versions?

"The shore does not dream of you." - Blind poet Gallan.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I am pretty sure the UGC is not playable on mobile but I'm speaking from memory and could be wrong.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAAAAVE

Waypoint's "Waypoint 101" video game book club podcast is doing Dragonfall this month. (The idea with this podcast is that the staff all play through a game, and hopefully the community plays it too, and then they do a big podcast where they can talk freely about the entire game without having to spend time explaining it to the audience or each other.)

All of that conversation was great, but it still left me wanting something a little more... interactive. So many of my favorite cyberpunk experiences are about immersion, and I don't just mean in the "first person climbing and healing animations" sense. What I first loved about Blade Runner was the sense of place, whether in Decker's apartment, on the city streets, or in the abandoned building that JF Sebastian lives in. It's a big part of why the Hell's Kitchen level of the original Deus Ex is still so clear in my memory: that shitty bar; your brother's apartment complex; the crummy free clinic. So much of what I love about Ken MacLeod's The Star Fraction (one of my favorite cyberpunk stories) is the way he renders the feeling of being in different places--from the dorms of anarchist mercenary outfits, to the clean biolabs of corporate-sponsored universities, to the sacrosanct salesroom of the setting's Mormon Church Turned World's Super Store. (No, really, read The Star Fraction, it's great).

So, is it any surprise that I convinced the rest of the team to spend the rest of the summer playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall, a game that so elegantly creates feelings of place-ness?

A tactical RPG with "ruthless corporations bleed[ing] the world dry" set in "a stable anarchy known as the Flux State" that's put under threat by "the Great Dragon Feuerschwinge"? How the hell hadn't we already done an ep of Waypoint 101 about Dragonfall?

We'll be recording our episode of Waypoint 101 sometime in the back half of August, so you have some time. Those of us on staff are committing to putting 10 hours or so in the game, though I'm pretty excited to play through the whole thing, including the Directors Cut content that I never got around to before. Also: You don't need to go back to play the original Shadowrun Returns or any other Shadowrun game to play this. Just hop right in to Dragonfall.

I went over to their forums and submitted the little quick guide I've written up for newcomers, and

ANYWAY, this is pretty cool and I'm really excited to see a bunch of new people playing this game and curious what their reaction will be.

The Escape GoatWotanAnubisBigitycB557PMAvers38thDoeExtreaminatusElvenshae3clipseDr. ChaosNotoriusBENDizzy DMassenaArchsorcererIgpx407FleebBrodyNeadenBasilNightslyrcj iwakuraDracomicronEdith UpwardsStollsBloodsheednever dieRchanenAndy JoejakobaggerHyphyKezzyBurnageironsizide
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Great guide!

I really need to beat Dragonfall so I can move on to Hong Kong .

Ed: iPhone autocorrect originally changed that sentence to say “... so I can Niven to hong long.” I shoulda left it that way - sounds cyberpunky.

Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    38thDoeJacobkosh
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    You're famous now Jacobkosh.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    Elvenshae38thDoeDr. Chaos3clipseJacobkoshMoridin889BrodyEdith UpwardsStollsnever dieRchanenAndy JoejakobaggerHahnsoo1Burnageironsizide
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I'll never forgive Shadowrun for giving me an addiction to roleplaying as dwarves in fantasy games.

I want to play as the cool lizard men in Divinity OS 2 but I can't help but think back to just how damn awesome my vindicator minigun wielding dwarf Greasy was in Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

(Divinity would be a lot better series with miniguns)

Dr. Chaos on
    Ab3HW.png
    FF14: Buckle Landrunner
    Steam Profile
    3DS FC: 1246-9730-5556
    Elvenshaenever dieRchanenCanadianWolverine
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I was only vaguely aware of Waypoint before (as being I believe one of the video games spaces pretty firmly pro respect and thoughtfulness and anti 'us gamers' rage?), but namedropping the Star Fraction and Ken MacLeod is a good sign, because man I love that book. Maybe this is a good excuse for a replay, to hang out in the Flux State again and hoover up the last achievements. Still haven't done the perfect Aztech run for example.

Also, that's awesome Jake. Better than that time a HBS called you out by name on a stream or on par?

bgg / steam / goodreads / Bnet: Bygasto#2537
    glimmung
    jakobagger wrote: »
    I was only vaguely aware of Waypoint before (as being I believe one of the video games spaces pretty firmly pro respect and thoughtfulness and anti 'us gamers' rage?), but namedropping the Star Fraction and Ken MacLeod is a good sign, because man I love that book. Maybe this is a good excuse for a replay, to hang out in the Flux State again and hoover up the last achievements. Still haven't done the perfect Aztech run for example.

Also, that's awesome Jake. Better than that time a HBS called you out by name on a stream or on par?

I think that was probably the most awesome, because it's the actual guy who made the thing and because it meant he had been hanging out here reading us talk about the game.

jakobagger
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Forgetting to write out the word developer after HBS makes that sentence seem a lot more. . .internetty than intended.

bgg / steam / goodreads / Bnet: Bygasto#2537
    Jacobkosh
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    I still find it hilarious that the creators had no idea that Japan had made an SRPG based on the series.

9LlOwgn.png
    Well, good morning. Welcome to the new scenario. What should we do today?
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I wonder if they knew about the foot tall action figure skirmish game.

Bigity on
    76561198017303226.png