As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Servers Up!, and surprisingly stable! 7 free days starting 9/4/13

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Up to 37 ACN. (Also: 35 WVR, 32 BTN)

Need more levels. MOARR.

Might finally break and grind some FATEs tomorrow.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    All of my toons are below Level 10 so this may change but so far I'm finding the Warriors to be a lot more fun than the Magic types. The casters are just too squishy.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    So, just a bit ago tanked the 32 instance with a full ghost group. Rocky start (holy shit I swear class switching is a thing I'm going to need to control. Man does that get me backwards on things sometimes), but man do I love having the PA guild around. Awesome to have supportive, not rage filled people who quit at first instance of trouble.
    Also had 4 drops from that place, which is the first time that's ever happened. It got to the point where I was feeling like a huge ass towards the end.

Lastly I have seen that turtle pet. I need to have it. NEED!
    Does anyone know where it can be found.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    So, just a bit ago tanked the 32 instance with a full ghost group. Rocky start (holy shit I swear class switching is a thing I'm going to need to control. Man does that get me backwards on things sometimes), but man do I love having the PA guild around. Awesome to have supportive, not rage filled people who quit at first instance of trouble.
    Also had 4 drops from that place, which is the first time that's ever happened. It got to the point where I was feeling like a huge ass towards the end.

Lastly I have seen that turtle pet. I need to have it. NEED!
    Does anyone know where it can be found.

Tiny Tortoise is a rare catch for lvl 50 Fisherman :(

I'm working very hard on trying to get it because like you said "I NEED to have it."

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    I have to level fishing?
    Another thing I have to level?
    FF14, what are you doing to me. I start a job Monday, I can't come home from that and start on another more fun and awesome job. I can't!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    So I've been playing on Sargantas for a bit.

Could someone invite Grodian Beinbrech to the FC?

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am several pages behind, but Sarg is accepting new characters right now.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Targeting minions: how do I do it? I've tried toggling multiple filtering options, and I set my normal filter(I have friends/enemies etc) to All, and I still can't. It'd be nice to heal carbuncles.

Doesn't it count as a party member?

I had hoped, but it doesn't seem to.

It is set to default as F9? One of the F keys for sure, but I don't remember which. You can totally rebind that crap.

I'm on ps3.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I wore my level 50 class chest for like five minutes

• Options
    DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Targeting minions: how do I do it? I've tried toggling multiple filtering options, and I set my normal filter(I have friends/enemies etc) to All, and I still can't. It'd be nice to heal carbuncles.

Doesn't it count as a party member?

I had hoped, but it doesn't seem to.

It is set to default as F9? One of the F keys for sure, but I don't remember which. You can totally rebind that crap.

I'm on ps3.

Ah, missed that part. Only thing I've come across is messing with filters, but as you have already tried that... no clue, sorry :(

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Well I can tell you one thing I don't like, and it just seems to have started in the 20's. Story quests that have you go around, back and forth between cities, just to talk to people. Or NPC's who suddenly forget the information they need to tell you, but hey you can run around and ask these four people. Oh wait I forgot another thing, go back to a place you've already been and ask this person.

This is one MMO trope I will be very, very happy to see die.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    This crap with the 'exploitable' fates in Northern Thanalan has got to stop, it's getting out of control. I play on Cactuar, and today I was told I would be black-listed by "all the top guilds" because I ended a fate people were XP grinding on. People have got to let their egos deflate a little bit, and realize not everyone is there to grind XP faster than anyone else. Anyone else have problems with this crap?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Quintessin wrote: »
    This crap with the 'exploitable' fates in Northern Thanalan has got to stop, it's getting out of control. I play on Cactuar, and today I was told I would be black-listed by "all the top guilds" because I ended a fate people were XP grinding on. People have got to let their egos deflate a little bit, and realize not everyone is there to grind XP faster than anyone else. Anyone else have problems with this crap?

I understand their annoyance, but damn that's overreacting.

I just want them to hurry and buff dungeon xp, to make it comparative to fate chains (Seriously, the Svara chain got me as much xp as doing Sunken Temple, except in a fraction of the time).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Yeah that one FATE in particular needs to be adjusted. It's a borderline exploit. I would imagine it will be retooled in patch 2.1 at least.

We had it pop and someone ended it "early" and the number of people that just about lost it was pretty absurd :(

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Paragon wrote: »
    From Reddit, for those lovely goldspammers:

I4G6thj.png

This is the most amazing thing ever. I love the icon, too.

• Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    brl4.jpg
    im4v.jpg

MINER!

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    About to hit level 20 arcanist. Haven't done any other classes other than Marauder till 3 or so. Unlocked all of them though (oh god, the inventory space)...

I want to get the Digital Collector's Edition before I start working on alt classes though, since the helm makes getting to 10 stupid easy.

Supposedly the first one I want to get is level 8 Conj, since that will get me protect, and wooooo boy, protect!

• Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    Are conjurers stupidly boring as balls the whole way through the game? I'm level 10 now and literally all I have done is press rock, sometimes aero. So bloody boring :(

Are white mages this boring too? I'm so sad i might have wasted all day on this class

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

My response to that would literally be- You and "all the top guilds" can go fuck yourselves with herpetic cheese graters.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I will admit getting 200k+ XP from that fate is kinda nice.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Which fate is that, anyway?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    hadoken wrote: »
    Are conjurers stupidly boring as balls the whole way through the game? I'm level 10 now and literally all I have done is press rock, sometimes aero. So bloody boring :(

Are white mages this boring too? I'm so sad i might have wasted all day on this class

Get lightning from THM.

But CNJ/WHM aren't the fastest soloers for sure. Stone 2 makes it better; but, get to 15, run dungeons, heal, enjoy instant queues, all that. Do the same in FATES and such.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Uh, wow, someone just pointed out to me that my Ruin is only doing like 25-30 damage a cast. Is that... normal? I put all my stat points into Int (offensive magic et all) and have been stacking the mage gear I get from quests. Did I do something wrong?

• Options
    edited September 2013
    KiTA wrote: »
    Uh, wow, someone just pointed out to me that my Ruin is only doing like 25-30 damage a cast. Is that... normal? I put all my stat points into Int (offensive magic et all) and have been stacking the mage gear I get from quests. Did I do something wrong?

Ruin is a low damage spell, it's just meant as something you spam in between refreshing your DoTs.

It's literally just a filler spell, not a main damage nuke like THM or CNJ get.

In general Arcanist and by extension Summoner are DoT DPS, you won't see big numbers on them until you get a few later spells comboed with Aetherflow.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular

No, that's just Ruin. It is an *extremely* shitty spell that gets at least mildly useful with Ruin 2 giving it blind and being insta. Later on you'll get Tri-disaster, which is equally horrible in terms of damage but is mostly just used for its AoE bind.

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    So I spent all day doing Brayflox's Longstop in search for the robe at the end.

I was unsuccessful.

But man did I run that instance a shitload of times. Actually had a pretty awesome experience where there were two people for whom 14 was their first MMO, but we made it through fine, and managed the last boss on our second attempt.

This is after a few days ago when I had to abandon a group after 8 wipes on that boss (none of whom were new) because I had to get to sleep for school.

I have explained those fights so many times now that I'm sure I'll be seeing them in my dreams.

PS if anyone wants to do longstop runs... I will be there, forever, pushing my boulder up the hill until I can look like not butts again. Apparently doing them with me is good luck, because the guildie I was doing them with today got about 4 pieces of gear, and I saw the tank chestpiece from the last boss there about 4 times, much to the delight of the tanks who took them.

Also had the worst tank (who died and then we finished the last boss with a DRG tanking) and best tank, so that was neat. I've now 3-manned every part of that dungeon twice. Argh.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    What is your character name ya bastard

...not that I'm gonna swap servers right now and add you but still.

• Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Which fate is that, anyway?

There are 2, sort of. In N Thanalan, theres the one just outside of I think the Ceruleum Plant that is a Gather Stones quest, with fast respawning packs of 4-5 mobs, and then another one over in the east to slay some mobs attacking a woman. You can kill mobs in the entry way and not progress the fate.

• Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    1236276_10200701423837678_596294300_n.jpg
    1236469_10200701423877679_894929853_n.jpg

what what?

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    hadoken wrote: »

Get lightning from THM.

But CNJ/WHM aren't the fastest soloers for sure. Stone 2 makes it better; but, get to 15, run dungeons, heal, enjoy instant queues, all that. Do the same in FATES and such.

It might be boring, but slow has NEVER been a problem for me.

But I usually fight to keep up with the best gear I possible can at all times. Cause every bit of damage I can get is precious.

But yeah if you are bored go get THM to 6 or 8 or whatever it is and slot thunder. Then you can Thunder + Aero 3 dudes and kill all 3 at once cause you can heal so fuck that noise make it fun.

• Options
    Woo, level 10 Marauder, class quest done, blah blah blah, now off to go grind more until I'm 15.

... Why am I doing Marauder again? It doesn't exactly sync with Arcanist. =/

I should probably go get Thau and Conj up to 15 each, respectively, that will open up some hilarious stuff when I hit 30 Arcanist. I've never played a caster in a MMO, at least not seriously, so this is kinda a fun change of pace.

Anyone actually take Arcanist all the way up, btw? Summoner is supposedly the DPS Arcanist and Scholar is the Healing Arcanist -- does Scholar actually work as a main heal or am I wasting my time?

More importantly, when switching to Scholar will I be able to get a different set of attribute points, or do I need to use those as an Arcanist thinking forward to which one of the two I want to end up as?

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    You dont switch attribute points, I went 30 Intelligence points and I'm main healing everything I come across just fine still. Scholar is absolutely fine as a healer, and has great mana regen abilities so you're free to go a little overboard with the healing and still have a way to come back from it. Scholars are the bomb, too bad they look retarded in their AF gear. Luckily I already replaced my tunic with an AK one. <3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

Ruin is a low damage spell, it's just meant as something you spam in between refreshing your DoTs.

It's literally just a filler spell, not a main damage nuke like THM or CNJ get.

In general Arcanist and by extension Summoner are DoT DPS, you won't see big numbers on them until you get a few later spells comboed with Aetherflow.

Arcanists are essentially required to get Conjurer and Thaumaturge high enough to get Aero and Thunder. When you do, you can easily whip out Topaz Carbuncle, DoT up a thing, tab to the next target, DoT it up, and by the time the first thing was dead, the second was halfway done, and a third was already being ground down. It goes surprisingly fast. My rotation was Miasma > Thunder > Bio > Aero, unless I was in a tag-race with someone (hi, Banemites), in which case Aero comes out fitst.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    Arcanist talk reminds me, how do you guys reliably handle keeping your DoTs refreshed on bosses (FATE or dungeon), given the less-than-easy-to-see green tint on the debuff bar means they're probably going to get lost in the crowd?

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    It's usually not a problem in dungeons, but against FATE bosses, you just have to kind of learn how long it takes to do your rotation. Against some FATE bosses as an Arcanist, I'd just do the rotation I listed above, then two or three Ruins, and then do it again.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Arcanist talk reminds me, how do you guys reliably handle keeping your DoTs refreshed on bosses (FATE or dungeon), given the less-than-easy-to-see green tint on the debuff bar means they're probably going to get lost in the crowd?

You just learn the rotation or timing needed. If you're in a huge fate though, your dots are going to be wiped off immediately upon application. Against something like Behemoth/Svara/Odin theres absolutely no point to even apply dots, so you're stuck just spamming ruin and contributing almost nothing. Theres a 30 debuff limit, this includes blinds from flash, slows, dots from archers, all that shit. Arcanists are severely weakened in large group engagements.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    Quick question - are there caps on the amount of bonus points you can put into each stat? Just curious because otherwise isn't the entire changing class system a bit broken if you put your bonus points into different stats for that class?

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Maledict66 wrote: »
    Quick question - are there caps on the amount of bonus points you can put into each stat? Just curious because otherwise isn't the entire changing class system a bit broken if you put your bonus points into different stats for that class?

Each class has it's own bonus points tally. As a level 20 Arcanist, I have all my points into Int, which does not affect me at ALL (Read: I get no extra points and my previous choices do not affect my current stats) when I switch to Marauder, which has all my points in Vitality.

The only thing previous classes give you is a rather huge bonus to XP if you have a war/magic class ahead of your current level; a decided lack of quests to do; and cross-class skills.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Up to 37 ACN. (Also: 35 WVR, 32 BTN)

Need more levels. MOARR.

Might finally break and grind some FATEs tomorrow.

Not 37 ACN and say, 37 ACN and 15 Thau / Conj? This seems... odd?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    First genuine hacker/exploiter seen today. Idiot was teleporting directly onto the tops of mining nodes. You know, on top of unclimbable walls. Reported, and suggested through a shout that everyone should do the same and all I got was a "lulwhat?" Hyur.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.