As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars X-Wing] Wave 7 and New Core in stores! PA Vassal League Season 3 now forming!

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Is there room in this tournament for a beginner? I've bought all the ships, mostly just to look at, since I've only played 2 games.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Is there room in this tournament for a beginner? I've bought all the ships, mostly just to look at, since I've only played 2 games.

I'm already in there, and all of my experience is playing friendly games with my neighbors / game buddies, so I can't imagine why not.

Come, sit at the bottom of all the brackets with me!

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Excellent!

!SIGNUP

• breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    oh man I may be in for this. gotta dive into vassal and see if I can handle this.

• RendRend Registered User regular

t63njf7bm83m.png
    By all means, there is more than enough room in my "vanguard" for novice pilots. I must warn you against making the grave and ultimately fatal decision of supporting Admiral Caiote in this battle though. My superior processing speed will make this battle more resemble a massacre.

Also realtalk I've only played a handful of games myself. I was banking on my roommate or girlfriend wanting to play with me but that didn't pan out. So we're in the same boat/ship!

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular

Absolutely. The idea is that we can get all kinds of people playing. It's just a "for fun" league really; everyone is welcome!

Part of the reason for running this is because I don't get to play in person too often as the other guy I was playing with gave up, and my wife can only take x-wing in small doses.
    oh man I may be in for this. gotta dive into vassal and see if I can handle this.
    It's not too bad once you get it running. Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    PMAvers wrote: »

I think we knew most of that already, but the cool parts for me are how they mention that, ferinstance, the Vic can be done up as a Vic or a Vic II.

Also, Keyan Farlander as unique B-Wing confirmed! :D

• Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    !Enlist
    @crimsoncoyote count me in please :) (assuming being in GMT won't be an issue organizing games)

Quick question - "You don't have to stick to the same squad each week" Does the same count for faction- or are we expected to stay on one side of the fence.

Khade97 wrote: »
    !Enlist
    @crimsoncoyote count me in please :) (assuming being in GMT won't be an issue organizing games)

Quick question - "You don't have to stick to the same squad each week" Does the same count for faction- or are we expected to stay on one side of the fence.

I don't think it's an issue if you switch faction. The only time you would be locked to anything is if we go through with the tournament at the end.
    --
    I'll add you to the list once I get to work

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I downloaded and installed Vassal following the guide you linked. Still pretty confused and my ask for some help.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Not a problem. If anyone wants some help, I should be available for a bit tonight. Just PM me and we can try to work out a time and get on Skype or something

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So will we see imperial vs imperial and such if each week is a surprise?

webguy20 wrote: »
    So will we see imperial vs imperial and such if each week is a surprise?

Yes. Occasionally admiral Caiote will be able to hijack an imperial squadron, and sometimes R3-ND will replace the wargame lasers used in X-Wing practice exercises with real ones. Let's see if they can tell the difference!

@mightyspacepope‌ you are a gentleman and a scholar <3

@Grunt's Ghosts@breton-brawler‌ @MNC Dover

Are you guys in? I'll add you to the list. If you're unsure, that's okay too, I'll check back with you later.
    -
    Other things:
    I am extending the "season" because we have a lot more players than I originally anticipated :^: (there won't be a hard end date)

I will probably post matchups on Friday so there's some time to work out when everyone can play their matches next week.

I won't be closing signups at all, just in case there are some stragglers; so everyone is always welcome to begin playing in the middle of the "season".

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I'd like to try this tournament out. I've yet to play but I've watched enough videos on YouTube to understand how.

• breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    @Grunt's Ghosts@breton-brawler‌ @MNC Dover

Are you guys in? I'll add you to the list. If you're unsure, that's okay too, I'll check back with you later.
    -
    Other things:
    I am extending the "season" because we have a lot more players than I originally anticipated :^: (there won't be a hard end date)

I will probably post matchups on Friday so there's some time to work out when everyone can play their matches next week.

I won't be closing signups at all, just in case there are some stragglers; so everyone is always welcome to begin playing in the middle of the "season".

I'm unsure. I want to get vassal up and running before I sign up in full.

I'd like to try this tournament out. I've yet to play but I've watched enough videos on YouTube to understand how.

I'm sure that won't be an issue. It's pretty easy to pick up and play. Though you will need your own copy of the cards as per FFG's conditions for online play of their games.
    "Grunt's Ghosts"‌ breton-brawler‌ "MNC Dover"‌

-
    Other things:

I'm unsure. I want to get vassal up and running before I sign up in full.

Not a problem :)
    Maybe I can set up some pickup games this weekend to get people situated and familiar with Vassal.

yea that would be good. A few test games would be fun. I wonder if Vassal will work over Satellite internet, such as I have.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

I'm sure that won't be an issue. It's pretty easy to pick up and play. Though you will need your own copy of the cards as per FFG's conditions for online play of their games.

Then I can't play as I won't have a physical copy of the game before the first week. I don't get paid until Monday and without a LFG near me, online is the only way for me to get these things.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'd be interested in the league, but I'll need to see if I can get Vassal up and running first.

It will be a good excuse to keep buying ships with no local players.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Vassal is ... complex, but that's because it's basically a full gamestate emulator (without rules, of course), and so it has to have everything in place that you'd have to do during a normal game at the table.

But, once you get the hang of it, it's actually surprisingly well done.

Well, the modules I've used before, anyway. Haven't done a real match of X-Wing in it yet, just played around for a few minutes.

• mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    Wish I could take part, but I'll be following with interest! I barely have enough time to fit in games at my FLGS.

• IngramIngram there was only Rage Kage Registered User regular
    !Signup
    @crimsoncoyote
    I've played a few times on kitchen tables and look forward to my dice failing in digital.
    Central Time Zone here

jswidget.php?username=ingram_&numitems=9&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    It will be nice not bumping the pieces and having precise movement. I'm pretty tempted to get lead tape to stick to the bottom of the stands.

webguy20 wrote: »
    yea that would be good. A few test games would be fun. I wonder if Vassal will work over Satellite internet, such as I have.
    I don't see why it wouldn't. It's not particularly taxing. We'll definitely do some testing to make sure though.

Then I can't play as I won't have a physical copy of the game before the first week. I don't get paid until Monday and without a LFG near me, online is the only way for me to get these things.
    Understood. You're more than welcome to jump in as soon as you're able

-
    Definitely sounds like a good idea to get some games tested this weekend. I'll dedicate some time to it to see if we can work things out for everyone.

edited November 2014
    Of course, the module loads then the software freezes. Good ole' windows 8. Time to restart it in admin mode.

Edit 1:Alright got it running. Right on.

Edit 2: Holy hell there is a lot to parse to make this thing work. Damn.

webguy20 on
    edited November 2014
    Found these videos for getting going with Vassal. Only slightly out of date, but very helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMilwDMnNaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0rFl4PSJWw

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Good find on those videos. I've added them to the league post.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    This put a huge grin on my face;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n3u3OJ3uqw

edited November 2014
    Oh mah Gawd. On my lunch break my co-worker and I went to the game store, and were debating about which minis to get. I was thinking about a couple Z-95 headhunters to go with my X-wing. He was thinking about the imperial shuttle or the rebel aces pack.

The guy behind the counter announces that he has some used stuff if we want to take a look. We ended up walking out with a whole starter set, expansion TIE, TIE advanced and a slave 1 for $70 in brand new condition, all the tokens, and cards that had been sleeved. I took the slave 1 and the two starter TIEs, while my co-worker took the X-wing, expansion TIE and TIE advanced, and we split up the stuff from the starter pack as evenly as we good.

I can field a pretty decent imperial list now. I just need to scrounge up another TIE expansion for the cards it has, and I should be good to go.

webguy20 on
    @crimsoncoyote !signup

Hiiiiighway tooooo thaaaa danger zone!

So excited for the Vassal games! I've got 3 potential squads I'm thinking about running ...

I'd post them, but then you will all steal my nigh-priceless ideas and then where would I be? :D

Elvenshae wrote: »
    So excited for the Vassal games! I've got 3 potential squads I'm thinking about running ...

I'd post them, but then you will all steal my nigh-priceless ideas and then where would I be? :D

Going riiiiight intooooo thaaa DANGER ZONE

I'm decidedly on the fence concerning this PA tournament thing. I'd like to join and play, but this is kind of a bad time right now. Just got a new house and will be moving in/unpacking near the end of November. Then we roll into the holidays and I'm not sure I can make the schedule.

I'll keep it in mind though and see how things go.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    So, Vassal seems to be up and running on my laptop. I'll need to watch through some of those videos to see how this whole thing works.

I'm not sure I can swing a weekly time commitment, though.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    So, Vassal seems to be up and running on my laptop. I'll need to watch through some of those videos to see how this whole thing works.

I'm not sure I can swing a weekly time commitment, though.
    If you know which weeks you can do ahead of time, you can PM me and say "hey I'm in for this coming week", and I can try to set up an opponent. This way you wouldn't need to necessarily commit to every week, but can still drop in and play as time permits. This applies for anyone.

I'm not so concerned with absolutely everyone committing to every week for the "league" portion. If we end up doing some sort of tournament, that would be a different story since other matchups would depend on current games.