As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars X-Wing] Wave 7 and New Core in stores! PA Vassal League Season 3 now forming!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @crimsoncoyote is correctness.

I always build my opponents' squads in the builder, because just because I have my stuff near to hand is no guarantee I'll have theirs - if I even own it at all.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, I picked up a couple of the FFG Starfield mats to use for Armada, and they are apparently not consistent in color. One of them is a very neutral black, and the other is a blue-black. Kiiind of obnoxious when I spent $80 on the pair. I mean, its not the end of the world, but I kept noticing it during my games today!

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I can't commit to league do to my erratic work schedule, but if I have a free weekend evening I would still be very much down for some one off games!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, I picked up a couple of the FFG Starfield mats to use for Armada, and they are apparently not consistent in color. One of them is a very neutral black, and the other is a blue-black. Kiiind of obnoxious when I spent $80 on the pair. I mean, its not the end of the world, but I kept noticing it during my games today!

I would write FFG customer support and ask about it.
    Chances are good they'll sort you out right.

• Options
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »

I would write FFG customer support and ask about it.
    Chances are good they'll sort you out right.

I did. We'll see what happens, but I'm not super hopeful, since it's not actually defective and they'll probably say color variations are unavoidable.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    So how hard is using Vassal? I know next to nothing about it, but playing X-Wing with awesome PA folks sounds like a solid plan to me.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    It's not hard but there are a lot of windows that can clutter up small screens. But people here so far have been very nice in explaining things to me. I can play now without asking a thousand questions. Plus, the game moves your ships for you with a macro thingy when you right click and go through the menu, so you don't need to break out the rulers every time.

• Options
    It's not hard but there are a lot of windows that can clutter up small screens. But people here so far have been very nice in explaining things to me. I can play now without asking a thousand questions. Plus, the game moves your ships for you with a macro thingy when you right click and go through the menu, so you don't need to break out the rulers every time.

Well, small screen isn't an issue...

So screw it, sign me up. I need all the X-Wing practice I can get!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Sweet fancy Moses this game is a black hole of money.

Can anyone vouch for the various gaming mats (mostly from Gale Force 9)?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    The GF9 mats are okay, but I much prefer the mats by HCD or the official FFG mats. They're like a giant mousepad, and you don't need to worry about them curling or flattening.

The HCD ones are also only $30, whereas the GF9 and FFG ones are $40.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I have a GripMat that I did the kickstarter for and have no complaints, but getting a 3'x3' Gripmat and carrying bag is probably a bit pricier than the FFG-offered mats, and I haven't seen those in person yet so I can't attest to quality differences.

• Options
    The FFG ones are definitely nice.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    This is the one I was thinking of, http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/40214/s/hcd96680/.

It's not quite as flashy at the GF9 BM002, but I can't find that for sale anywhere that didn't require international shipping.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    This is the one I was thinking of, http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/40214/s/hcd96680/.

It's not quite as flashy at the GF9 BM002, but I can't find that for sale anywhere that didn't require international shipping.
    That's the one I have and it's pretty nice

• Options
    The Applied Perspective mats are by far the nicest play surface I've used.
    GripMats are supposed to be pretty nice too.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I have a GripMat that I did the kickstarter for and have no complaints, but getting a 3'x3' Gripmat and carrying bag is probably a bit pricier than the FFG-offered mats, and I haven't seen those in person yet so I can't attest to quality differences.

Still waiting for my GripMat to arrive.

grumble, grumble

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Assuming we can work around time zone differences (I'm GMT+1) I'm game @crimsoncoyote

Now, to decide on a list… Rebel scum or the noble defenders of stability and order? Decisions, decisions.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Got the chance to play a game of X-wing with a friend this weekend.

I let him chose Rebels since they are easier to play. He went with a falcon and 2 X-wing (red quadron). I went with the lambda shuttle since I never had the chance to play it before and 2 Tie Interceptor.

Had load of fun until both the falcon and lambda shuttle where face to face and for like 3 turns, they couldn't clear themselves of each other. Lambda speed being an issue, my shuttle was stressed and speed 3 was going to get me into an asteroid while the falcon could clear me but would bring him to a position on the next move that would lead him to leave the battle area.

I guess it requires some getting used to with large ship. I ended up going for speed and ram the asteroid and got damage for it. Then I had no choice but to go through it again and got damaged again. After this the lambda had only 1 hull point left and was easily killed.

Still my friend couldn't avoid the falcon from leaving the area so in the end it was his 2 x-wing red squadron against my lonely soontir Fel and As a good Imperial Ace, he came out on top!

Hope he liked it enough to ask to play some more.

One this this showed me is that now that Boba Fett can be played with The Scum faction (where he belongs in my mind), I have zero good large ship for the Imperial. I wonder if the VT-49 is actually good and warrant the high price.

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    Assuming we can work around time zone differences (I'm GMT+1) I'm game @crimsoncoyote

Now, to decide on a list… Rebel scum or the noble defenders of stability and order? Decisions, decisions.
    That's fine by me if it's good with you :)
    I think most players are state-side, so weekends might be the best time to get games in.

• Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    The Decimator is indeed an awesome ship. You can kit it out in a number of different way and still be very effective.

I love Determination on it, since you discard any pilot crits that you take. Seeing as how you have 0 Agility and 12 hull, you're taking a bunch of crits before you go down. I've had games where I've negated 6 crits that I was supposed to take.

• Options
    Guibs wrote: »

I let him chose Rebels since they are easier to play. He went with a falcon and 2 X-wing (red quadron). I went with the lambda shuttle since I never had the chance to play it before and 2 Tie Interceptor.

Had load of fun until both the falcon and lambda shuttle where face to face and for like 3 turns, they couldn't clear themselves of each other. Lambda speed being an issue, my shuttle was stressed and speed 3 was going to get me into an asteroid while the falcon could clear me but would bring him to a position on the next move that would lead him to leave the battle area.

I guess it requires some getting used to with large ship. I ended up going for speed and ram the asteroid and got damage for it. Then I had no choice but to go through it again and got damaged again. After this the lambda had only 1 hull point left and was easily killed.

Still my friend couldn't avoid the falcon from leaving the area so in the end it was his 2 x-wing red squadron against my lonely soontir Fel and As a good Imperial Ace, he came out on top!

One this this showed me is that now that Boba Fett can be played with The Scum faction (where he belongs in my mind), I have zero good large ship for the Imperial. I wonder if the VT-49 is actually good and warrant the high price.

Large ships definitely take some getting used to. All their maneuvers are equivalent to a small ship's maneuver speed+1. That is, 1 straight maneuver on a big ship is the same speed as a 2 straight on a small.

Next time you have a Lambda and Falcon collided with each other, it's not a terrible idea to stay in contact with him. You still clear your stress if you perform a green and end up collided again, so you still can't take actions, but you are at least no longer stressed and then can use a red maneuver if you have to get out of dodge. And as long as you are touching, you're not taking shots from his turret. Bonus points if you have a Tactical Jammer (modification that allows large ships to obstruct enemy attacks; comes with VT-49)

If you are directly facing each other (and not at an angle), it only takes a 2 speed straight to clear another large ship.

I am kinda curious... what size is your play area? I've had little issue with flying large ships out of the play area... except this one hilarious time (I think it was a league game... don't remember against who) where my Decimator was ion'd out (Ions are kind of the hard counter to the 0-Agility VT-49). The Falcon should have been able to use a 1 hard turn to get away from the edge. Also, on larger turns, your maneuver template is able to go outside the play area as long as your ship's base is fully inside after the performing the maneuver.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    This game is not really a black hole of money as I learned various hard lessons from wargamming
    Since I am only playing againist two people we limited our forces to what would fit on a card table
    SO basically two to 4 ships

• Options
    Once you get the ships you want, you are pretty good on buying stuff. Like I might get the Falcon for decoration and that's likely it for me. I'm not really wanting the Rebel ships as I'm so Sith it's evil.

• Options
    Once you get the ships you want, you are pretty good on buying stuff. Like I might get the Falcon for decoration and that's likely it for me. I'm not really wanting the Rebel ships as I'm so Sith it's evil.

Yeah, I still don't have the Falcon... or a TIE Defender... or Rebel Aces because, "meh, more B-Wings" (though at some point I'll break for the A-Wing loot!). And no IG-2000s, because if I get one I'll be damned if I don't get two, and dropping forty bucks for two ships all at once is something I can't bring myself to do when there's other, cheaper, more varied stuff I could get instead (or, you know, just not spend that money).

Heck, to avoid paying for the Falcon I managed to snag a second copy of VI and an Engine Upgrade card off ebay or a total of $3. Wish I'd thought of that before I sprung for a pair of Phantoms I may never use for Tactician cards... bleh.

With that said I, uh, still have mostly everything else. Digging through some stuff I realized I did in fact once buy a pair of B-Wings (along with a TIE Interceptor) a couple months back and they're no where to be found. Brought them home, never opened them and... gremlins? But I thought I was cool on all the B-Wings I could ever actually want. But no, it wasn't a feverish dream: still have the text message I sent my brother after I bought them, the purchase is on my bank statement. Fuck if I know what I did with them, but I might as well have wiped my backside with some sorta weird $30 bill on that one...

And as awesome as the Falcon is, I... just don't have any real urge to fly it. Like, maybe if I could work a list around Lando that could be amusing, but... eh. I think I'd rather have another Firespray (for the fun of dual Mando Mercs!!!) before I actually bought a Falcon. TIE Defender? Why would I want that bizarre, tri-winged EU thingy when I have beautiful TIE Bombers and Interceptors I could use instead? Again, I would (and will) buy a second TIE Bomber before I get a TIE Defender. And possibly being a shame, since the Defender might actually give me a solid option to fly Jonus with. OR, I could just get two more awesome Lambda shuttles, through on some Manglers, and run three of those with Jonus for the good times.

... what were we talking about again? Sorry, I'm now distracted browsing ebay/the internet for good deals on X-Wing expansions.

• Options
    Also, the only reason I have a Decimator is because it was 50%, and I'll be damned if I pass that deal up. And hey, I'll probably use the beautiful thing at some point.

Also, the only reason I'm getting an Imperial Raider is because I only had to spend a whopping $30. Which... yeah, it's something I really want, as are the TIE/x1 cards it comes with (and Tarkin and Palpatine crew cards?! Please don't be huge ship only!!!!). But 70+ bucks is more than I can usually justify dropping for a single thing. I'll probably never get a Tantive IV, and the only reason I have a beautiful Rebel Transport is because my brother was a cool enough bro to make that my Christmas gift.

• Options
    I'm in a similar boat re: huge ships. I received the Tantive as a generous CF secret santa gift, but would have taken a bit more coercing for me to buy it for myself. I have gotten it to the table at least!

On the other hand... I am legitimately tempted to buy an Imperial Raider myself because that thing looks impressive and comes with even more reasons to field a TIE Advance

• Options

Large ships definitely take some getting used to. All their maneuvers are equivalent to a small ship's maneuver speed+1. That is, 1 straight maneuver on a big ship is the same speed as a 2 straight on a small.

Next time you have a Lambda and Falcon collided with each other, it's not a terrible idea to stay in contact with him. You still clear your stress if you perform a green and end up collided again, so you still can't take actions, but you are at least no longer stressed and then can use a red maneuver if you have to get out of dodge. And as long as you are touching, you're not taking shots from his turret. Bonus points if you have a Tactical Jammer (modification that allows large ships to obstruct enemy attacks; comes with VT-49)

If you are directly facing each other (and not at an angle), it only takes a 2 speed straight to clear another large ship.

I am kinda curious... what size is your play area? I've had little issue with flying large ships out of the play area... except this one hilarious time (I think it was a league game... don't remember against who) where my Decimator was ion'd out (Ions are kind of the hard counter to the 0-Agility VT-49). The Falcon should have been able to use a 1 hard turn to get away from the edge. Also, on larger turns, your maneuver template is able to go outside the play area as long as your ship's base is fully inside after the performing the maneuver.

Sorry for taking a while to get back.

We were playing on a 3x3 mat that I have. Load of asteroids though(6 of them). My friend was playing for the first time playing and it was maybe only my second time playing with large ships.

We,l I guess I should get a decimator then.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I really want to love the Decimator, but it's got a learning curve, that's for sure. Plus it's so expensive.

Once that huge Imperial ship is out, I can field it in Epic games, but I don't know if I'll use it much in 100 point matches.

• Options
    edited April 2015

Sorry for taking a while to get back.

We were playing on a 3x3 mat that I have. Load of asteroids though(6 of them). My friend was playing for the first time playing and it was maybe only my second time playing with large ships.

We,l I guess I should get a decimator then.

Yep, that's standard. So definitely a practice/experience thing! Also yes, yes, yes, get a Decimator :D
    You know. I am running this league thing... you'd get a bunch of practice in that way :winky:

Speaking of League things -
    If everyone participating hasn't noticed already, planned start date is this Monday. While we certainly have enough people to get the season off the ground, an even number would be great so we don't have to worry about scheduling Byes. It's definitely OK if someone starts late as well; games can always be made up!

Obligatory poke at @TehSloth and @Stationary to join (and for ignoring me and being just the worst friends).
    They're actually p cool friends ;-)

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    BingarossoBingarosso Registered User regular
    I've honestly been very intimidated to start using Vassal. I'm glad to hear its legal. I'll check out those videos and hopefully they will help. There's a lot of initial set up, but it's probably totally worth it. The PA community is enough inspiration to make me really want to do it. Hopefully I can fly in the tournament. Don't want to commit until I feel comfortable.

LDN-text-with-logo1.png
  • Options
    Vassal's actually really, really easy, once you figure out what you're doing.

Before then, it seems impenetrable.

But, there's a reason for that - it's because the boardgames we're playing are actually pretty complex beasts with lots of fiddly bits, and it's hard to reduce all of that complexity to a streamlined UI. So, generally, Vassal creators don't even attempt it, and you end up with a very complex-looking tool.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Vassal's actually really, really easy, once you figure out what you're doing.

Before then, it seems impenetrable.

But, there's a reason for that - it's because the boardgames we're playing are actually pretty complex beasts with lots of fiddly bits, and it's hard to reduce all of that complexity to a streamlined UI. So, generally, Vassal creators don't even attempt it, and you end up with a very complex-looking tool.

Once you start learning some hotkeys for things, it's a lot easier. In fact, resolving movement is actually much faster, easier, and more precise!
    The videos are a few versions outdated, but not much has really changed for them, so they should still be plenty useful.

One of the most tedious bits is setting up your squad. I would recommend the Squad Building Templates for that, as well as learning how to use the log feature to bring your pre-made squad into the game proper.

• Options
    Yeah vassal seems intimidating. I wonder if a lot of time is required for the league play. Do we require to play "live" or we can just play our turn and come back later, next day, etc to play our next move like at boite de jeux?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Yeah vassal seems intimidating. I wonder if a lot of time is required for the league play. Do we require to play "live" or we can just play our turn and come back later, next day, etc to play our next move like at boite de jeux?
    You can save the game and come back, but it's usually preferred to play all at once.
    Honestly, it takes as long as the regular game for the most part.

If time is your concern, I would encourage you and your opponent to work out a time limit for the game and play it like the normal tourney rules (time starts after all ships are placed; if you run out of time, finish out the current turn before tallying points). Without a time limit, it can take a while if the dice are cold, but there's really nothing different from the physical game time-wise, except for maybe building your squad (building it before the match is a huge help). Just have to watch out for AP, and everyone needs to stay focused ;-)

Edit: If anyone wants to get on this weekend and get Vassal set up and play around with it a bit, I can probably find some time to help out. Just let me know

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Vassal games take me about twice as long as a tabletop game, to be honest.
    Three hours has been about the norm.

• Options

Yeah, I think they tend to run a little longer than tabletop games, but I think a bit of that is due to, "Uh, need to help the wife with the laundry" or "Man, we need a bio break" kind of stuff that doesn't usually happen when you're doing a face-to-face game.

Also, even with hotkeys, it's a bit challenging to do things as quickly in the Vassal engine as you can in real life (except for ship movement, which Vassal makes so much easier).

• Options
    My shortest game was 2 1/2 hour and my longest was 4 hours.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Yeah, I think they tend to run a little longer than tabletop games, but I think a bit of that is due to, "Uh, need to help the wife with the laundry" or "Man, we need a bio break" kind of stuff that doesn't usually happen when you're doing a face-to-face game.

Also, even with hotkeys, it's a bit challenging to do things as quickly in the Vassal engine as you can in real life (except for ship movement, which Vassal makes so much easier).

I agree with this. Though I would say I normally have 2 hour physical games on average. I haven't really had games take less than 1.5 hours.

Actually I think one of my fastest games was during the league last season.

• Options
    I came in third in a tournament! Okay, out of only eight, but hey... third! Got some snazzy Push the Limit (x2) and Han Solo cards for my efforts, along with a dice bag.

This is the squad I took the bold decision to go with (as I've never flown it before until today!), as they prepare to enter combat:

Spoilered for biggish:
    IMG_0115_zpswoog32tn.jpg

Etahn A'Baht: R2 Astromech, Push the Limit, Advanced Sensors
    Bandit Squadron Pilots x5

Lead, of course, by the man, the myth, the living legend that is the peerless Bandit Seven.

Game 1: Only loss of the day, turned out against the big winner of the day. He fly Rear Admiral Chiraneau and Soontir Fel with both decked to the nines. I made a poor opening move and he got behind me quickly, decimating my poor Bandits and Etahn Hawke. Tried to play the long game, hope for a mistake on his part at that point... and didn't do much beyond dinging his ships a few times. Time was eventually called with me failing to have made a kill and only a single ship of mine still alive: Bandit Seven.

Game 2: This one was a lot more fun in the end, but really frustrating starting out. Opponent fielded a Green Squadron Pilot, Corran Horn, and Luke Skywalker, GSP could PTL and both Horn and Luke could freakin' heal shields. Lost Bandit Thirty-Six early (eh, he was a dick anyways, always taking other peoples' lunches out of the fridge), and it quickly turned into a furball. He did a great job staying out of my arcs (even had a turn where all five of my surviving ships didn't have a shot!), Luke especially was never in arc, and I was forced to shoot at Corran Horn who would take a hit or two and have the shields back from R2-D2 in a couple turns. However, I slowly and carefully maneuvered my way into position to break free of the clusterfuck, timing it just right so my Bandits would converge on the circling A-Wing (who had just finished off Bandit Two, because Two's not a winner). Worked beautifully; one Bandit blocked the A-Wing to prevent it from PTLing into tank-mode, two more Bandits dropped range one shots on its head for the easy kill. Meanwhile, the quick break out left only Etahn in arcs with Corran and Luke, and they managed to plink a couple shields off and not much else. They gave chase to Etahn... lining Luke up right in front of the remaining three Headhunters. Luke's eyes were nearly blinded by the close ranger laser fire of Bandit Squadron, catching a brief glimpse of something emblazoned on the side of the ship that fired the final, fateful shots: the number seven. After this it became a game of cat and mouse with time running low and me in the lead by points, with Corran Horn hoping to finish Etahn A'Baht before the buzzer. Used PTL to turtle up as much as possible, let the bandits give chase on Horn and... yeah, Corran whiffed on his double attack and time ran out with him an inch away from death (argh, one more turn and I would've had him!) and Etahn no worse for wear. With that, I finally snapped a nine game losing streak I was on. I was legitimately shocked that I pulled this out, especially after feeling so impotent for over half the match, during which I achieved a whole lot of nothing.

Game 3: This was an interesting match-up: Dual IG-2000s. Came in fast looking to try and bring all my guns to bear on a single IG and melt it away, and had... limited... success at that. Did line up an IG and rip off its shields, but Bandit Twenty-Three was vaped in the process. Then, an outright fucking miracle happened. The wounded IG limped away and the fully healthy, 100% shields and 100% hull IG threw itself in my way, slapping into the side of Bandit Thirty-Six and denying him a shot. That left Etahn A'Baht and Bandits Two, Seven, and Seventeen with (mostly) close range shots on the undamaged IG-2000. Three bandits, one E-Wing, only focus tokens for modification... and we smoked that bitch. Etahn ripped through his shields almost immediately, exposing the hull to A'Baht's crit creating ways. Bandit Seventeen nailed a Direct Hit, finishing the IG in a single volley of firepower. Bandit Twenty-Three got blasted, but otherwise the game because a simple chase. At last A'Baht's ability generated a crit that went through, causing all hard turns on the IG-2000 to become red maneuvers... he had used Push the Limit that turn, meaning the slowly dying Aggressor was left with two hull, stress, and a very predictable next move. He was defenseless against the true might that is Bandit Seven.

So yeah, only three games but I went 2-1 and only lost to the guy who ended up getting first. I have to say, it's an amusing list if a bit exhausting to fly (six freaking dials!). I think flying mostly against shielded ships made things problematic, as Etahn's ability takes a while to come into use... and it did a few times, which is cool, but he was mostly useful just dodging blaster fire and letting the Bandits do most of the heavy lifting. I also got incredibly lucky by managing to dust an IG-2000 in a single round of shooting in the second game. Still, might dust this off again someday... for now I'm going to maybe fly some good ol' four ship lists.

And seriously, Bandit Seven's legend continues. Today he:
    Was the sole survivor
    Shot down Luke Skywalker
    Shot down an IG-2000

Dude is an absolute ace.