As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Those of us who are about to [Job Thread] salute you, bro!

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    just got my mandatory flu shot. it's bullshit I ain't get no lollipop

Last after I got my flu shot and when home, I mentioned to my wife how my arm was sore because of the shot.

So she punched me there.

luckily, I no longer have a wife

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Got food poisoning last night (or something), then woke up with a stiff neck. Spent the whole day at work in a feverish haze. Just got a huge project dumped on me which is due in the middle of a holiday I didn't want to take (holidays are supposed to be fun, why are mine always shittily timed obligations?). Wow this wasn't supposed to end up as a whine I was just gonna say I was super spaced out today but managed to get a lot more modelling done than I expected.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Stiff neck? Get checked for meningitis?

• Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    I'm sorry if you lack the ability to math Mister Broker. There's no need to blow me up over email over rejecting your file. Why is everything going wrong on the day before my vacation?!

Goddamn Murphy's Law.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    There's nothing like your boss going "We're going to lose a customer over your mistake" to motivate you to work harder.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Twice this week I've spilled/sprayed lunch all over myself.
    What is wrong with me?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    schuss wrote: »

The though crossed my mind. But I think I just slept funny. If any of the other symptoms show up then I... Should probably not get on that plane tomorrow.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ah, okay, so the boss's ire is switching from me to the part-timer that may not have put in the ticket properly/ handed it off properly.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    My boss just called me a "wizard" for making something so fast. Right as he said it someone across the cubicle aisle quietly sung the idle thumbs "wizaaaaarrrrdddd"

Just made my week, mysterious cubicle guy/boss.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Talked with a nice sergeant visiting the department who informed me that they might be opening positions soon for Administrative Aide as an upgrade for all available Typist Clerks. You'll still have to apply though the website, but they want to hire as many Aides as they have Clerks, meaning we all have a good shot.

Pay difference is only two or three dollars more, but this is yet another available opportunity for me to climb up in addition to the new job posted today. And once more I'm making contacts within the building in the hopes of getting my name out there (in there? Whatever).

Just makes me continue to wonder why I should bother dropping what I have now when the alternative is more uncertain/affected by political climates, when I'm already settling in to my current position's atmosphere and seeing the rapidly available chances to rise up.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    How long would you guys expect it to take your supervisor to get back to you on a salary raise?

I met with my supervisor and his boss, made my arguments, gave my sources and said what I expected I should be getting, they said they'd look at what the company policy is, and get back to me.

That was two weeks ago.

I called my supervisor again last friday and he said they didn't get a chance to discuss it because of month end last week (which is justified, month end time comes around nobody in the accounting department gives a toss about anythign else), but I still haven't heard anything this week. Called my supervisor today and left a message asking but haven't heard anything else.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Cute girl told me she liked my snarky bathroom sign (it's literally right across the hall and people still ask me where it is) and then I became completely tongue-tied when she asked me a question about something.

Smooooth.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Woohoo, Canadian thanksgiving is this weekend so I get to spend a good chunk of my afternoon drinking wine and eating turkey and pumpkin pie while 'working'.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Where do you work. Also, I am like one of... two people in the office today.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »

The though crossed my mind. But I think I just slept funny. If any of the other symptoms show up then I... Should probably not get on that plane tomorrow.

I have no immune system left. If we make out you might kill me.

totally-worth-it-winnie-the-pooh.jpg

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I'm actually kinda irritated I'm not working this weekend. I was scheduled to work saturday sunday monday, but I'm on this month long training course so regular 8 hour weekdays until it's over.

I would have gotten time and a half for saturday and sunday, then double time for monday, PLUS 8 hours pay for the monday (stat holiday).

so 68 hours pay for 36 worked hours

but nooooooooo I have stupid training

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    my boss is working from home today. we were supposed to go over writing stuff. i'll just get a head start on next week's tasks, i suppose.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    The joys of today:

1. A broker blowing me up over email after rejecting his file for underdisclosing fees to the borrower. Afterwards he was proven wrong by me, our AE, my boss and the inside sales manager.

2. My boss randomly singing Lean Back by Fat Joe, pulling up the song on youtube, singing along with it and yelling out "THIS REMINDS ME OF MY DAYS BACK IN THE CLUB MAKIN' IT RAIN"

3. One of our accounting ladies walks into our office. My boss immediately shuts his door, picks up the phone and pretends he's on a conference call. I get an IM a minute later asking, "IS SHE GONE?".

4. Our second highest producing AE comes into the office. The underwriting manager, who's at my desk helping me, says "OH SHE'S HERE. I BETTER CLOSE MY DOOR."

Just another wonderful day.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I might get to go on a business trip out of state. Exciting! I've never been on one before.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I might get to go on a business trip out of state. Exciting! I've never been on one before.
    The first one is fun. Once it's a regular thing it sucks and you just wish you were home.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    yea, my job position will never have regular business trips, so I'm lucky! An occasional one will be a nice break from the grind.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    2. My boss randomly singing Lean Back by Fat Joe, pulling up the song on youtube, singing along with it and yelling out "THIS REMINDS ME OF MY DAYS BACK IN THE CLUB MAKIN' IT RAIN"
    My boss has the tendency of walking into my office on Monday morning loudly singing random shit.

Mondays are the most annoying day around here.

mcp on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    And working 14-hour days because you have literally nothing else to do sucks too. At least when you're used to a cushy 8-hour white-collar government schedule.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Where do you work. Also, I am like one of... two people in the office today.

I work at a smallish tech company in Calgary.

Also I think the owner had not enough sleep and too much thanksgiving because he locked himself in his office for an hour presumably to crash on a couch and now he's back and telling everyone that we can go home if we want.

• Options
    mcp wrote: »
    My boss has the tendency of walking into my office on Monday morning loudly singing random shit.

Stay away on Wednesdays. Don't ask me what day it is.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Today I was able to share with my coworkers the greatest gift of the workday: Cake.

Because tomorrow is my birthday, one of the ladies I work with (the one who remembers my birthday only because it is so close to hers) decided that I MUST have cake, and thus had me ambushed at 8:30 in the morning with a massive three layer red velvet and strawberry behemoth, surrounded by red velvet cupcake supplicants. It was a beautiful cake. And looking into the envious eyes of those whose desks are near mine as my boss suggested my husband would enjoy it despite her hungry gaze, I did the only thing I could think of to do with a cake: I declared cake must me shared.

Despite decinding on it like vultures, a few coworkers said they felt a little bad that they were taking my cake away from me. It was only after insisting that I wanted to share it that they took their slices away to enjoy. And it was true, I derived far more enjoyment from seeing how happy everyone was to have a slice of cake that I would have eating the whole cake alone.

The cake was gone in under 30 minutes, and I got to brighten everyones morning. It is a good day.

If it hasn't been said already, it might be a nice return gesture to remember that person's birthday, and bring in something as well. Not necessarily a huge fancy cake, but something that can be shared too.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWBhP0EQ1lA

• Options
    minirhyder wrote: »

This is the thing I do. With the WOOPWOOP and everything.

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    i've got an interview at target on monday

does anyone got any advice?

i'm tired of going in for an interview and never hearing anything back

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    it is silent like the grave in here. empty game studios, man.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »

I share your pain.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Woop woop yet another amazing annual review 8-)

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    So I asked my boss to go into a little more detail about what Idiot Son said about me

Apparently I "don't respond quick enough to the needs of our salespeople"

When I asked if he could expand on that, my boss told me that IS said "Well, I don't want to name names"

Which means it's probably bullshit.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    No. I bet it means you don't respond quickly enough to the needs of IS.

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    Ahahah, yep, that's exactly what it means.

My old supervisor pulled a lot of that, actually.

Poooooor dan. Are you feeling better?

Does anyone here work with Brava! ?

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Guys, what if any are good online resources to learn excel? I'm looking to learn pretty much everything. Vlookup and pivot tables and all that stuff.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Guys, what if any are good online resources to learn excel? I'm looking to learn pretty much everything. Vlookup and pivot tables and all that stuff.

mully

• Options
    mully wrote: »
    Ahahah, yep, that's exactly what it means.

My old supervisor pulled a lot of that, actually.

Poooooor dan. Are you feeling better?

Does anyone here work with Brava! ?

I can't even think of a time when he needed me, aside from when he wanted me to install MapPoint on his workstation

Which I did

Then he wanted me to "do it like you did for that sales meeting"

Which means he wanted me to
    • Export customer data out of our ERP system, format it in Excel, then import it into MapPoint or create an ODBC link to MapPoint direct to our ERP system
    • Make the maps all pretty with charts and whatever
    • Print it out for him

Which I am not going to do because he's untrainable, and if I do it for him once, he'll want me to do it every single time.

• Options
    I helped out an end-user who contacted us over Facebook because one of our idiot customers shipped a product that was not designed to ship via UPS, via UPS.

So he the guy got it, the handle was all fucked up.

Was able to get detailed info, serial number, address, etc, then passed it all along to our warranty department. Our frames have a lifetime warranty, so he had a replacement handle out the following day.

Guy (and apparently his family) all posted on our FB about how 'this is the way customer service is supposed to work, thank you so much, etc'

8-)

I totally forgot that the point of this story was to illustrate that I'm not "just the computer guy" at my job, and I actually enjoy being able to help the people who use our equipment when I can.

• Options
    I'm so nervous about tomorrow. After months of theory and weeks of trying to push for a service window, I finally got one. Time to put in place the final piece for this redundant network.

... Oh, and about 5-6 other things that need doing that are also getting put into the service window. Including a sick VM host. And right before leaving for work I found a small piece of documentation that might imply the foundation of my plans won't work.

This discussion has been closed.