As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Those of us who are about to [Job Thread] salute you, bro!

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Well, apple job got cored...

That makes no sense...

I got let go. My fault, unable to adjust from swing/grave to day shifts, felt asleep at station a couple of times.

But Intel has a position more in line with my schooling (working on actual computer stuff instead of following a troubleshooting manual) and I'm applying to that.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Took the foreign service officer test today. This was my second go; last year I missed it by not very much at all, but this year I feel like I did really well. At any rate, it felt a lot easier this time? And the essay topic was one I actually know quite a bit about! So fingers crossed I get to move on to the next step in the process.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    So, unemployment report. I've applied to god-knows-how-many jobs and haven't heard back on any. :\

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Just did the online tests for the bank job I applied to. Fucked up badly. What a retard.

• Options
    Dude, that sucks, but it is the bank and its test that is dumb, not you.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Guys, what if any are good online resources to learn excel? I'm looking to learn pretty much everything. Vlookup and pivot tables and all that stuff.

Honestly, use help and fuck around on spreadsheets. It's not rocket science.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    So, there's a chance one of the Patrol Supervisors thinks I'm in a religion that favours huge beards. She was on site last night for a random uniform check. When she got to the heading 'Clean Shaven Y/N', she looked askance at me and half mumbled "Well, they can't really say anything about that, anymore, since it's become a human rights issue."

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    msuitepyon wrote: »
    So, unemployment report. I've applied to god-knows-how-many jobs and haven't heard back on any. :\

Keep on working those numbers.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    So work kinda sucked today. One of the guys that transferred to New Orleans killed himself in a car accident early this morning. Basically the place was a basket case after the call came in. On top of being super busy. He was only 24, damn.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Yesterday I was at the Washington Monument. Rained all day, only ten people were spotted walking by.

I pretty much just collapsed asleep when I got home. At least today the rain let up and I got a few sales in the morning. Hopefully my shoes will get the chance to dry out before my next work day.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    This past week suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked

Massive sprint for a deadline at the end of the week, 10-12 hour days with a lot of work to do and constant revisions.

I was also sick on top of all of that.

ugh

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    So work kinda sucked today. One of the guys that transferred to New Orleans killed himself in a car accident early this morning. Basically the place was a basket case after the call came in. On top of being super busy. He was only 24, damn.

Jesus, dude. I'm sorry to hear that. How are you holding up?

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Shooting suspect ran from us tonight. We cancelled pursuit then they drove their stolen truck into someone's living room.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Shooting suspect ran from us tonight. We cancelled pursuit then they drove their stolen truck into someone's living room.

Jesus. Hope nobody got hurt in the house.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    It was empty at the time. Hell of a way to renovate.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    *Growls at non-helpful information on OSPF links*

This shouldn't be this complicated...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Does the O stand for Oracle by chance

'cause when I think of completely unhelpful documentation and other information I think of Oracle

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    No, but it might as well be.

It just annoys me because I've finally got all the hardware set up to do a redundant system.. and this Open Shortest Path First setup is working for the primary links.. but the secondary links are failing for reasons beyond my comprehension.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »

Jesus, dude. I'm sorry to hear that. How are you holding up?

I'm ok. Just sad. He was a good kid. Went to NOLA for more opportunity. Got a promotion to supervisor, full time. And then this. Such a waste.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

Does the O stand for Oracle by chance

'cause when I think of completely unhelpful documentation and other information I think of Oracle

'tis a routing protocol

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Welp, the guy who's supposed to relieve me is running late, it seems.

C'mon guy, I need to get home and feed the cat.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Welp, the guy who's supposed to relieve me is running late, it seems.

C'mon guy, I need to get home and feed the cat.

It's a good thing I didn't sign out yet, because dude missed his alarm, so I need to stick around till he gets in. Oh well, mo' money.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Today I'll go wooding with my cousin and dad for the second day in a row. Hopefully there'll be enough conversation that he doesn't feel the need to blare THE BLAZE on his radio. If he doesn't I'm going to pledge twenty extra dollars to NPR, with "More cool radio plays, less libertarianism please." as my comment.

Is the new Riddick any good?

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    RantBegin

Hey library staff member who was in charge of the minecraft club. When the kids put the laptops back in the cart MAKE SURE THEY ARE ACTUALLY OFF AND PLUGGED IN. This morning I spent 30 minutes taking everything out of the damn cart since the laptops were all put in upside down or backwards, half were still on and the other half were probably still on by the batteries were dead since they were unplugged. Also like half the cables had been pulled out and not even put back on the shelves in the cart so I had to basically rewire the damn thing.

Gahhhhhh. I am genuinely pissed off at the laziness of that staff member.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    what do you call a large number of computers?

A group, a farm, a lab, a fleet?

"We work to maintain the <SOMETHING> of computers in the University."

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Not servers? Lab is good.

Servers? Cluster or farm.

Every computer? I usually hear "All of the workstations" used.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    A murder of computers

• Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    I sometimes feel like murdering them, certainly.

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    this is going on a resume, and i somehow think using the word murder in any sense is probably not the best way to go - but i love it

and yeah, lab works i suppose!

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    A murder lab/cluster/farm of computers.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    PCs themselves are not referenced.

Either the logistical group that uses said computers is referenced (accounting group, HR division, etc), or simply the "(group) workstations"

e: I'm told the correct answer is "network" because this is 2013 and why would you have a group of computers not be on a network?

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I would use fleet in that case, as it's general enough to cover anything.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I like network. But, that's actually a different thing.

"We maintained a network of computers" insinuates you maintain the network itself, which is more net admin and such than the hardware itself. If I read that, I'd expect a person to be talking about the network itself, and not the hardware.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I like network. But, that's actually a different thing.

"We maintained a network of computers" insinuates you maintain the network itself, which is more net admin and such than the hardware itself. If I read that, I'd expect a person to be talking about the network itself, and not the hardware.

I think the "of computers" puts enough qualification on there that if you're more of a PC admin than a network admin, it works.

If I was talking about a network admin job I'd describe the network in terms of users and/or more equipment than just workstations.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, my interpretation of "network of computers" would be the computers themselves. Network alone would be the actual networking.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Ugh, my leaders want me to start essentially micromanaging my peers and I am not comfortable with this at all.

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    I've completely forgotten how to write a resume, unemployment is being a douchenozzle over the furlough being not technically unemployed, I'm fat as hell so a suit is gonna be expensive and look terrible, and I really liked my job but it's looking less and less likely the furlough will end in time for me to avoid being laid off

Today fucking sucks

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Ledneh wrote: »
    I've completely forgotten how to write a resume, unemployment is being a douchenozzle over the furlough being not technically unemployed, I'm fat as hell so a suit is gonna be expensive and look terrible, and I really liked my job but it's looking less and less likely the furlough will end in time for me to avoid being laid off

Today fucking sucks

Dude.

Laaaaame.

I'm sorry, man.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Ugh, my leaders want me to start essentially micromanaging my peers and I am not comfortable with this at all.

My boss is heading this way. I need to sit down and write some basic procedures before I'll feel comfortable doing this.

This discussion has been closed.