As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN NEW ONE!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    OMG it's done. This took me forever:

zlCfzRHHv9QYlOZItE

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    OMG it's done. This took me forever:

zlCfzRHHv9QYlOZItE

Really nice! About as close as you can get to the original.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hey

Hey

Why the fuck is that game still a month away

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    No, the real way is to figure out which symbols work best for you with which control type, and alternate. For example, I can do the Hand, Whip, and Hammer symbols much better on the touch screen, but hard-edge shapes like Sword and Gun are better with the stick.

Hand - 360

Whip - half circle

Hammer - Forward, 360

Yeah, it all comes down to preference. You prefer it that way, nd I got no problems with the fact that you do.

• Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Haven't seen many people comment on it here or in the Splinter Cell thread, but Blacklist for the Wii U is really pretty great. I love the way the game utilizes the gamepad. It's pervasive enough that it really feels like it's adding something to the experience without being heavy-handed or cliché. It's neat to see a solid third-party game put out a Wii U version that makes a decent go at the controller rather than just slapping a map on there.

Did you get the eShop version? I usually pick up the disc versions but I hear the load times are egregious.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Rayman:
    We have got to the credits after 10 hours with only 350 of the 700 teensies. We didn't just plow through it, we did a couple of origins levels and played the football minigame a bunch. But if you want a platformed that will last you 10+ hours then this will be more than enough to keep you going. Still have almost all of the origins levels to do, an extra after-credits world. And a load of "invaded" levels which are extra difficult and give you 40 seconds to complete.
    Can confirm there is a lot of game here. Its incredibly fun, imaginative and well made. Buy it. Please buy it. I want another.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So Wii Party U is coming next month, with a Wii Motion + and a special gamepad stand. For $50.

wii_party_u_box_art.png?w=604&h=612

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Darmani wrote: »
    "X" may not completely replace titanfall or Destiny but it fulfills a similar niche.
    I'm really failing to see how X is in any way similar to Titanfall or Destiny. JRPGs and Shooters are in the same niche now?

I think getting a WiiU instead of a PS4 this Fall would be more satisfying in the short term, since as a new buyer, you'd not only have the holiday lineup to look forward to, but all the stuff that's come out since launch (Mario U, Luigi U, Pikmin, etc.). But I think in the long term, you're still gonna want that PS4.

Oh, I definitely agree with this. But I'm not 100% hyped on the PS4 yet anyway. It looks like the system to get between it and the Xbox One, but this generation our main console has been our Xbox 360. There are a lot of things I don't like about the PS3 experience and the PS4 looks good but I worry they might not solve the problems I have. It seems like at this point the prudent thing to do might be to wait at least 6-8 months to get one (or the other). Especially because I don't have as much video game time as I used to and I have a pretty big backlog of games I can play for the consoles I already own.

Meanwhile, like you say, the Wii U has had some time for games that have already been released and more coming out soon. And they just dropped the price. And my kids are way more interested in it than a PS4. Still, I was reading some articles about the Wii U last night and I do worry about its future prospects.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    We Party You

Nice

• Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Haven't seen many people comment on it here or in the Splinter Cell thread, but Blacklist for the Wii U is really pretty great. I love the way the game utilizes the gamepad. It's pervasive enough that it really feels like it's adding something to the experience without being heavy-handed or cliché. It's neat to see a solid third-party game put out a Wii U version that makes a decent go at the controller rather than just slapping a map on there.

Did you get the eShop version? I usually pick up the disc versions but I hear the load times are egregious.

I have the disc version and the load times are annoyingly long, about 45 seconds to a minute between missions. I'm not sure if the eshop version is any different though.

Restarting a checkpoint doesn't require loading however, so you can have a seemless playthrough. It seems to only have trouble when loading a new stage.

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah the load times are long, but since I tend to play a mission at a time it hasn't really bothered me. Coop has been awesome too.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
      Finally got the OK to pick up the WiiU when the price cut hits.

What game(s) play best only on the game pad only?

Before anyone answers, the intent is to also have party games available, play on the tv, etc..., but I also know I'll be limited to the gamepad most of the time. So, are there any games to avoid at first because they don't play as well? Or are there any that play really well that I should look at first?

I'm likely only going to get one or two games to start, so looking to find the right one to start with.

• Options
      mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
      I'll always recommend Monster Hunter, 3 Ultimate has a good pad only mode. Wonderful 101 is also brilliant and can be configured a few ways with pad mode.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    • Options
      carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
      Quical wrote: »
      Rayman:
      We have got to the credits after 10 hours with only 350 of the 700 teensies. We didn't just plow through it, we did a couple of origins levels and played the football minigame a bunch. But if you want a platformed that will last you 10+ hours then this will be more than enough to keep you going. Still have almost all of the origins levels to do, an extra after-credits world. And a load of "invaded" levels which are extra difficult and give you 40 seconds to complete.
      Can confirm there is a lot of game here. Its incredibly fun, imaginative and well made. Buy it. Please buy it. I want another.

Okay, I'm the complete opposite. The game is a TOTAL letdown for me.
      You might think that its cool that they added the Origins Levels on top of the package, what noone is telling you is, that is the MEAT of the game. Why do I say that? Well there are 5 new worlds right? 5 worlds, 10 levels each. Doesn't sound like a lot. But then it gets worse. There are a lot of gimmicky things in every world, music levels, boss fights etc. Fun? Sure. But it is also the main attraction. Every world has about 6 "real" levels and then HALF of those are actually murphy levels, which are a nice distraction as well, but just not what i want from my Rayman sequel. Essentially, I get 3 levels per world, that is 15 levels for the whole game. Fifteen new levels for the whole goddamn game. And on top of these 15 new levels hours and hours of side-things.
      I really loathe Legends at this point, because honestly, the new levels are just as brilliant as the old ones, its like they are mocking me. "Sure, we could make that stuff you want, look how easy it is! LOOOOOK".
      Now, I'm sure a lot of people will have a lot of fun with whats there, but for the love of god, if you are looking for a sequel to Rayman Origins do NOT pay the full price for this game. 30 dollars on steam sounds about right...

PSN | Steam
      ___
      NNID: carmofin
      3DS: 2852 6971 9745
      Throw me a PM if you add me
    • Options
      maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
      edited September 2013
      skeldare wrote: »
      So Wii Party U is coming next month, with a Wii Motion + and a special gamepad stand. For $50.

Sweet. I can cycle out one of my old White standard Wii Remotes with this set.

Though I dunno if I'm even going to pick it up. I had Wii Party and it didn't seem particularly fleshed out. The "World Map" and the "Climb the Mountain" board games were really boring.

maximumzero on
      FU7kFbw.png
      Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    • Options
      Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular

Though I dunno if I'm even going to pick it up. I had Wii Party and it didn't seem particularly fleshed out. The "World Map" board game and the "Climb the Mountain" board games were really boring.

I'm buying the hell out of that for the wiimote plus. Only one of four of my remotes is plus enabled, and the Zelda game in Nintendoland is a good incentive to have more.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
      Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
    • Options
      QuicalQuical Registered User regular
      carmofin wrote: »
      Rayman:

You might think that its cool that they added the Origins Levels on top of the package, what noone is telling you is, that is the MEAT of the game. Why do I say that? Well there are 5 new worlds right? 5 worlds, 10 levels each. Doesn't sound like a lot. But then it gets worse. There are a lot of gimmicky things in every world, music levels, boss fights etc. Fun? Sure. But it is also the main attraction. Every world has about 6 "real" levels and then HALF of those are actually murphy levels, which are a nice distraction as well, but just not what i want from my Rayman sequel. Essentially, I get 3 levels per world, that is 15 levels for the whole game. Fifteen new levels for the whole goddamn game. And on top of these 15 new levels hours and hours of side-things.
      I really loathe Legends at this point, because honestly, the new levels are just as brilliant as the old ones, its like they are mocking me. "Sure, we could make that stuff you want, look how easy it is! LOOOOOK".
      Now, I'm sure a lot of people will have a lot of fun with whats there, but for the love of god, if you are looking for a sequel to Rayman Origins do NOT pay the full price for this game. 30 dollars on steam sounds about right...

Are you playing on your own? Because the Murphy levels are GREAT FUN with a friend. I've really found this game to be really imaginative and really incredible. Boss battles? Brilliant.
      Music levels? Amazing.

I will say that if you are playing alone, I'm not sure I'd recommend it. My friend says the game interests him, but he wouldn't have anyone to play it with. So I told him he's probably best not to get it. I think I may say the same thing here as you may find yourselves in The same situation as carmofin. I would say play the demo in the same way that you would play the main game and see if that's what you would enjoy .

NNID: Quical
      STEAM: Quical
      Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
    • Options
      Raybies666 wrote: »

Though I dunno if I'm even going to pick it up. I had Wii Party and it didn't seem particularly fleshed out. The "World Map" board game and the "Climb the Mountain" board games were really boring.

I'm buying the hell out of that for the wiimote plus. Only one of four of my remotes is plus enabled, and the Zelda game in Nintendoland is a good incentive to have more.

As it is I have four Wii Remotes. A black Wii Remote Plus that shipped with Flingsmash a few years back, the gold Wii Remote Plus that shipped with Skyward Sword, a white Wii Remote that shipped with my original Wii purchase back in 2007 and a white Wii Remote that shipped with Wii Play back in 2007.

Then I've got two Wii Motion Plus attachments that shipped with Wii Sports Resort. (Best Buy was selling a special pack in 2009 that included two of the attachments instead of the standard package that only included one.) So all my remotes are Wii Motion Plus enabled in one way or another.

FU7kFbw.png
    • Options
      carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
      carmofin wrote: »
      Rayman:

Are you playing on your own? Because the Murphy levels are GREAT FUN with a friend. I've really found this game to be really imaginative and really incredible. Boss battles? Brilliant.
      Music levels? Amazing.

I will say that if you are playing alone, I'm not sure I'd recommend it. My friend says the game interests him, but he wouldn't have anyone to play it with. So I told him he's probably best not to get it. I think I may say the same thing here as you may find yourselves in The same situation as carmofin. I would say play the demo in the same way that you would play the main game and see if that's what you would enjoy .

Admittably, this might be the issue, yeah. If I could have played all the Murphy levels normally I would feel better about the game.

PSN | Steam
      ___
      NNID: carmofin
      3DS: 2852 6971 9745
      Throw me a PM if you add me
    • Options
      Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
      Picked up Wonerful 101 from the nintendo shop at PAX gunna play it now. SO EXCITED GUYS!!!

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
      3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
    • Options
      Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
      Raybies666 wrote: »

As it is I have four Wii Remotes. A black Wii Remote Plus that shipped with Flingsmash a few years back, the gold Wii Remote Plus that shipped with Skyward Sword, a white Wii Remote that shipped with my original Wii purchase back in 2007 and a white Wii Remote that shipped with Wii Play back in 2007.

Then I've got two Wii Motion Plus attachments that shipped with Wii Sports Resort. (Best Buy was selling a special pack in 2009 that included two of the attachments instead of the standard package that only included one.) So all my remotes are Wii Motion Plus enabled in one way or another.

I ended up not getting sports resort, noone to play it with, and I heard of flingsmash for the first time only a few days ago. The last Zelda coming with a remote was a nice bonus.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
      Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
    • Options
      So I pre-ordered and paid off Rayman Legends today because, hey, why not

My Wii U needs some use

• Options
      JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
      Might want to check you local Fred Meyer if you have one, mine has tossed Arkham City and ME3 into the $9 bin.

• Options
      b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
      JihadJesus wrote: »
      Might want to check you local Fred Meyer if you have one, mine has tossed Arkham City and ME3 into the $9 bin.

Damn. Wish those were in my area.

steam_sig.png
      3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
    • Options
      Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular

I wound up picking up BLOPS2, AC, and NintendoLand for $22 recently. There are some crazy deals for this system right now.

• Options
      b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular

I wound up picking up BLOPS2, AC, and NintendoLand for $22 recently. There are some crazy deals for this system right now.

Whoa...all 3 for just 22 bucks. Thats good enough to make me want them even if I didn't before. The best deal I've seen was ZombiiU for 19.99 at target. Where are all these deals at?

steam_sig.png
      3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
    • Options
      That reminds me that I saw a bunch of great deals for games on Amazon recently that I wanted to get Best Buy to price match but I've totally forgotten about it.

FU7kFbw.png
    • Options
      Interesting

Both the GameSpot and IGN reviews actually cite the Wii U version of Legends as being less-than-ideal for single-player due to Murphy stages

I think I might just end up Redboxing the thing then and maybe pick up Diablo III instead

• Options
      edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
      I'm not sure the versions on other systems sound that much better in that regard, really. It was obviously designed for co-op, so I can sort of see it being a sticking point in single player.

Then again, the stage I played in the demo wasn't really all that unintuitive at all, but later levels could be worse.

• Options
      edited September 2013
      I didn't mind the Murphy levels last time I played (which was at a Best Buy kiosk about a week ago), though they definitely did slow down the pace of the gameplay

I handed the controller to a friend who had never played a Wii U before and was like "check this out" and the whole screen-to-screen transition thing basically put him in the attitude of "this is too much" and he walked away

I really wish Redbox was renting out the Wii U version

The versions of games they choose seems to be almost at random sometimes, some games they'll only get the PS3 version, yet Rayman and Diablo it's 360-only

EDIT: Eh fuck it, I'm just gonna go grab Legends right now

UnbreakableVow on
    • Options
      Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
      Sometimes I'm glad my nearly blind hatred for all things Rayman prevents me from having these sort of problems.

Man I do wish I had a Fred Meyers near me, those are PSP/Dreamcast level price drops.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    • Options
      Oh man

I spent earlier tonight playing Origins, and Legends is so much prettier

Rayman seems to move with more weight too, I'm really liking how this feels

And the soundtrack isn't completely annoying this time! Didgeridoos and kazoos got old after five minutes in Origins

• Options
      AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
      Having played both the 360 and WiiU version of Rayman Legends at various stores (this seems a popular store unit game), I think the 360 (probably PS3) are superior for SP to the WiiU version. I actually really like the addition of having to time murphy while platformimg to continue along, it adds another dimension and element of challenge to the levels that he appears in.

The WiiU version is the most fun to play with other people because of this though, but I thought the Murphy levels were utterly boring compared to the way the 360 handles them when playing by yourself.

So my recommendation: Multiplayer for the WiiU is better, but if you're going to play by yourself IMO the added challenge provided by having to time your use of murphy while still navigating the level makes them play much better.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    • Options
      KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
      One for the Australians:

http://www.lasoo.com.au/offer/nintendo-wii-consoles-0/nintendo-wii-u-32gb-black-bundle/4vsxk9jnn.html

That's $349 for what is usually $429 (Deluxe) + $39 (Zombi U)

• Options
      Aegeri wrote: »
      Having played both the 360 and WiiU version of Rayman Legends at various stores (this seems a popular store unit game), I think the 360 (probably PS3) are superior for SP to the WiiU version. I actually really like the addition of having to time murphy while platformimg to continue along, it adds another dimension and element of challenge to the levels that he appears in.

The WiiU version is the most fun to play with other people because of this though, but I thought the Murphy levels were utterly boring compared to the way the 360 handles them when playing by yourself.

So my recommendation: Multiplayer for the WiiU is better, but if you're going to play by yourself IMO the added challenge provided by having to time your use of murphy while still navigating the level makes them play much better.

This post is absolutely correct

I just did the Dungeon Dash stage in the first world and with the addition of having to press a Murphy button, it's basically demanding Super Meat Boy-levels of perfection, which is awesome

Although now I'm dead curious how the Wii U would handle that stage if you were doing it single-player, it seems too fast-paced to be going back to the Game Pad to move platforms with Murphy

There's a wall of fire like literally behind you

• Options
      AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
      edited September 2013
      You don't play as Rayman, you play as Murphy with an AI controlling Rayman.

It sounds every bit as sucky as it sounds.

Aegeri on
      The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    • Options
      ButtonsButtons Dolt SweedeelandRegistered User regular
      edited September 2013
      I think Rayman Legends is an average single player platformer, but a fantastic multi player one. I play it co-op with my wife and we get the same satisfaction from doing a Murphy level with one platforming and one swiping as from doing a hard NSMBU/NSLU using boost mode.

I just don't think Rayman Legends has been designed as a singleplayer game, not surprising with the Wii U being the lead platform.

Oh and it is super pretty! :)

Edit: Chronicles of Mystara just got dated for this week for NA and next for PALland. Woo!

Buttons on
    • Options
      KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
      Buttons wrote: »
      Edit: Chronicles of Mystara just got dated for this week for NA and next for PALland. Woo!

Excellent, though I expect i'll be swamped with W101, Rayman and Mystara all at once. Oh well, a good excuse to invite friends round for a co-op extravaganza!

• Options
      That's the thing, though

I think the 360 version is a great single player platformer

Maybe they'll update the Wii U version so you don't have to use the Game Pad

• Options
      Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
      Low standards of excellence maybe.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    This discussion has been closed.