As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why don’t we treat laissez-faire capitalism like global warming?

2»

• Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    Its obvious by the extreme vehemence in his first reply that the OP only started thread to try to trap people (falsely trap) and then spew out a rant at the first person who disagreed.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    - Explain, with data, the link between unemployment and the top marginal tax rate?

America: 10% young unemployment rate
    Spain,Italy,Greece: 40% young unemployment rate

Youth unemployment (defined as 16-24 year-olds that are actively seeking employment) in the US is more like 16%, and it gets much worse if you remove college graduates from that group.

I'd also love to see your explanation for why black youth unemployment is 28% while all other ethnicities are in the 14-18% range.

Also, Spain and Greece are well over 50% in youth unemployment. Italy is at 40%. Their top marginal tax rates are 42, 42, and 45%, respectively, which isn't a major difference from the top US tax rate of 39.6%. Certainly not enough for your "logical" conclusion that these things are at all connected. It also doesn't work when you consider Germany's 7.5% youth unemployment rate in light of their 45% top marginal tax rate.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Whats different is other sciences you can contest a theory or question its evidence. But economics you can have two Nobel prize level economists look at the same exact numbers and come to totally different conclusions

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    It's also good to show we have mountains of data and hundreds of years of examples of Lasseiz Faire economics failing, to further drive home the point.

Wait a minute, I have it on good authority that economics tends to be a bunch of "perfect world" scenarios that are based on few facts. As such, how could anyone possibly remark intelligently on the efficacy or lack thereof of a basket of laissez faire policy?

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Rhah wrote: »
    Its obvious by the extreme vehemence in his first reply that the OP only started thread to try to trap people (falsely trap) and then spew out a rant at the first person who disagreed.

Well, then take the OP's intentions and turn them on their head:

Have a reasonable discussion.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Whats different is other sciences you can contest a theory or question its evidence. But economics you can have two Nobel prize level economists look at the same exact numbers and come to totally different conclusions

At least one of them is usually wrong, though :P

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    a5ehren wrote: »
    - Explain, with data, the link between unemployment and the top marginal tax rate?

America: 10% young unemployment rate
    Spain,Italy,Greece: 40% young unemployment rate

Youth unemployment (defined as 16-24 year-olds that are actively seeking employment) in the US is more like 16%, and it gets much worse if you remove college graduates from that group.

I'd also love to see your explanation for why black youth unemployment is 28% while all other ethnicities are in the 14-18% range.

Also, Spain and Greece are well over 50% in youth unemployment. Italy is at 40%. Their top marginal tax rates are 42, 42, and 45%, respectively, which isn't a major difference from the top US tax rate of 39.6%. Certainly not enough for your "logical" conclusion that these things are at all connected.

His point doesn't make any sense, Spain is flanked on either side the upper tax bracket scale by countries with lower unemployment rates

If taxes had a link to unemployment, The Netherlands would be a great depression style wasteland

override367 on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

I don't know, it could just be a mild aspie taking his first home-school econs course.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    the OP's arguments very much resemble how I acted when I was a libertarian

show up on forum, try to preach the gospel of my newfound religion, and heap scorn when they don't see the light

you know then I read some books and took a couple of econ courses and watched their wisdom (the wisdom behind the bush tax cuts) lead to a shitty stagnant economy (PRE collapse)

when libertarian economic thought was proven, empirically, to be false I had no choice but to realize maybe the whole ideology was flawed and that running a country without a strong federal government is about as possible as expecting a communist state to resemble anything other than dictatorship

edit: I mean seeing it fail myself led me to read books and take courses which showed me countless historical examples of it failing in the past 2 centuries in America

override367 on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    ronya wrote: »

I don't know, it could just be a mild aspie taking his first home-school econs course.

It's a copy-paste of a post that's at least a couple of years old.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options

It's a copy-paste of a post that's at least a couple of years old.

really?

so hes just trolling us

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    the OP's arguments very much resemble how I acted when I was a libertarian

show up on forum, try to preach the gospel of my newfound religion, and heap scorn when they don't see the light

To me, the more interesting thing is why people are so frequently so unaware of how that kind of approach is likely to be received, and/or that they don't care about whether people receive the message or not.

I used to go to extremely conservative Christian boards all the time, it was pretty easy to spot the atheists and whatnot who were just wasting their time with toilet paper accounts.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    This is also the account that made the Coming Golden Age of Libertarian Utopia Thread like a week ago, and hasn't posted anywhere since.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I mean I don't want it to sound like liberal economics are my religion

I'd support Paul Ryan tomorrow if his economic arguments had merit (or like, even took into account the fact that math exists), including his argument about switching medicare to vouchers. Like if there was compelling evidence that would work and save everyone money without leaving the elderly hanging I'd hop onboard, but there isn't

override367 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
  • Options
    I detect an evolution away from Mises, though.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular

There are other evolutions, too.

You have to google specific bits to get a sort-of copy; they're smart enough to protect themselves if you try to google the whole thing.

This is fascinating to me, though.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    There are a lot of reasons why we don't treat Climate Change like Capitalism. The most obvious is the difference between a hard science and a soft science. No scientist, who isn't backed by an interested party, has examined the data for climate change and concluded that it's not happening.

In economics, this is not the case. As others have pointed out, two economists can look at the same data and walk away with different conclusions. Who is right?

Another major reason is that economists are interested parties. Whatever theories and ideas they support, they want those to be right.

While scientists are also interested parties, they don't have any particular agenda other than to observe the world and do their best to find out How Stuff Works. A scientist who does otherwise is a bad scientist, and is likely being paid lots of money to make their claims.

• Options
    SmarterThanYouSmarterThanYou Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

except that a Austrian would never say "the science of economics" since they don't believe that economics is a science but more a praxeology.

• Options
    Megaton HopeMegaton Hope Registered User regular
    There is no scientific basis for anything in economics. Mathematical equations and graphs are the trappings of science, not the content.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure we do treat economics like climate change. Which is to say, its a complex topic with a lot of interesting things going on it, which will be roundly ignored by anyone who doesn't understand it but feels they'll be somehow impacted by it (energy prices/taxes) leading to a startling number of people suddenly deciding that despite a lack of any formal training or interest beyond reading the morning paper, they know exactly what's going on and how it should be done.

In my experience this is also uniform regardless of profession outside of the ones under discussion: medical doctors are still not climatologists or economists, but depending how much money they have they know exactly what the truth is of both these things.

Although in the case of climatology, there's a stark rise in weasel words on it lately - arguing around the point, or blaming China - whereas in economics government debt is still definitely always bad and the cause of all problems that currently exist.

• Options
    There is no scientific basis for anything in economics. Mathematical equations and graphs are the trappings of science, not the content.

epidemiology uses much the same techniques, right down to the event studies

the reasons for non-reproducibility are the same: ethical concerns. But there you go

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Just because economics is difficult to study and desirable to manipulate does not make it less of a science.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    This new Bioshock thread is fucking lame.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    climate scientists have an economic incentive to manipulate data too

a reputable climate scientist applying for a job with Exxon will find himself no longer reputable but flush with cash

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    The distinction made by the OP between "leftism" and "libertarianism" is a false one, and an infuriating one to leftist libertarians like myself.

Libertarianism is traditionally a leftist political philosophy! Most people in any time or place aside from the US in the past few decades would either laugh or stare in confusion if you declared yourself to be a libertarian and a capitalist at the same time.

• Options
    Kaputa wrote: »
    The distinction made by the OP between "leftism" and "libertarianism" is a false one, and an infuriating one to leftist libertarians like myself.

Libertarianism is traditionally a leftist political philosophy! Most people in any time or place aside from the US in the past few decades would either laugh or stare in confusion if you declared yourself to be a libertarian and a capitalist at the same time.

at this point it is rather like arguing about hackers/crackers, I'm sorry to say

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »

at this point it is rather like arguing about hackers/crackers, I'm sorry to say

In talking about yourself I think it's better to stick to issues anyway. You're always going to run into problems when you find the need to try and assign yourself an identity out of the terms we have (especially when they're largely used derogatorily).

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    As someone who studied economics, I'm pretty in favor of government oversight/regulations, because there's a bunch of reasons (externalities, the tragedy of the commons, moral hazard (the banking industry being one of the more poignant examples)...) that companies' optimal strategies aren't actually the most optimal/efficient for society at large.

I am pro-Free Trade, but with the caveat that the biggest winners should be supporting the least, through welfare/retraining (and Free Trade is something of a red herring, far more jobs have been lost from the US due to technology than due to outsourcing).

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2013
    Oh, so this is just a copy-paste of some bullshit you've apparently been spamming across the internet for years.

Yeah, we don't need that shit here. Most of our trolls at least try to be interesting and creative. Your biggest failing, Mr. SmarterThanYou, isn't that you're an asshole, or that you can't write for shit, or that you don't know thing one about proper debate. Your biggest failing is that you are lazy. Begone, slacker.

If someone wants to start a new thread to discuss economic issues, that's cool, but this one reeks of low aspirations and I'm killing it with fire.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.