As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Recent" games for an arcade cab.

FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
I'm building an arcade cabinet shortly. It'll be a two player, six button style - and running a fairly old machine (Win XP, 2.9GZ Dual Core, 2GB RAM, Integrated Graphics).

Because of the emerging "indie" scene, I've become more aware of newer games in the old arcade style (Super Meat Boy etc.), and thought that there may well be some more recent games out there that aren't too taxing, system-wise. So, I was wondering whether anyone would have any recommendations, based on both the specs of the machine, and the joystick/button two player layout.

(Super Meat Boy seems to require Vista or later - so I'm a little bummed about that...)

What say you PA?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Hotline: Miami and Retro City Rampage?

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ooooh, good suggestions.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Braid, maybe?

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Hotline Miami requires at the bare minimum a second analog stick to aim, but a mouse is really ideal. I don't think it would work at all with an arcade layout.

I don't know about system requirements, but Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara was recently added to Steam, and I remember having a lot of fun with the original games. Also perhaps look into Fez. Apparently it's supposed to be a really good platformer, but I can't tell you anything about it. Single player only, I think.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    An arcade setup needs a shmup of some kind. Ergo, you want Jamestown.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Sequence.

Limbo.

DOOM.

Doom is not recent.

But, ...it's DOOM.
    doooooooooooooom.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Agreed.

DOOM

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    though it's only one player, the Rogue Legacy experience is enhanced with arcade controls. Likely that new Spelunky update would be good too.

there's also an 80's pastiche macho contra-like where you play as like every action movie star ever, I think it might be called Broforce or something like that

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
    Tempesr 2000 (Recent compared to Doom)
    Lumies

Also Limbo (as mentioned by RT800)

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks guys - I'll check these out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Aquaria

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Monaco.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    VVVVVV
    1000 Amps
    Audiosurf?
    Offspring Fling
    BIT.TRIP RUNNER

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It's not quite recent, but The Dungeons and Dragons arcade games were a blast, can get them playing easily with MAME, and they were recently re-released on consoles with updated graphics, am sure a PC port of some kind isn't far off.

And they are super fun, I lost many a pocket full of quarters and hours to them over the years. ( One arcade here still has Mystaria, and I still go blow 20$ there on it every once in a while)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It's not quite recent, but The Dungeons and Dragons arcade games were a blast, can get them playing easily with MAME, and they were recently re-released on consoles with updated graphics, am sure a PC port of some kind isn't far off.

And they are super fun, I lost many a pocket full of quarters and hours to them over the years. ( One arcade here still has Mystaria, and I still go blow 20$ there on it every once in a while)
    They've already been ported. Hell for all I know the PC version came before the console version.