As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CF Phalla Signup List

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    discrider wrote: »
    Assuran wrote: »
    You've had to work out Obi's puzzles by yourself?

Damn.

/slow clap that evolves into a standing O

???
    Isn't that the normal way of solving them?

Only you, man. Everyone else solves Most people solved them with a group.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I would have tried if I weren't Rocket! And I did get the greek fire one by myself just with more clues than I should have.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Portend's over with a village victory.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I'm still working through the last bits of balance with MrBlarney so I'll get a signup post going here in a day or two likely.

I'm sure people need time to decompress from Burnage's game anyways.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    I would have tried if I weren't Rocket! And I did get the greek fire one by myself just with more clues than I should have.

Pretty sure that's the only one I solved by myself as well. I *might* have gotten one of the clues from someone else... not sure.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    JPants wrote: »

Pretty sure that's the only one I solved by myself as well. I *might* have gotten one of the clues from someone else... not sure.

I recall getting a couple by myself and might've been able to do others if I had them just sort of laid in front of me instead of having to scavenge hints by PM, but still, those are work.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Groups are just there to help you get PMs with host clues in them.
    Then you solve them by yourself and post the answers in spoilers. Or on the inside of the forum's private boards.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I'm rethinking doing my Zelda game so close on the heels of Austin's Zelda game. I might run a simple meme-themed game and jump back in the queue again. "Dicks Out For Phallambe", I'm thinking.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Also of note is the PAXening is upon us this weekend, which I know several phallateers are attending, so maybe wait it out, neh?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Works for me.

I'll plan to put up a sign up on Monday.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Just make sure the signups last until Tuesday, I might be too hung over/exhausted to form coherent words on Monday.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    You just do whatever you want Austin P. Numbers! Don't let those PAX-holes try and get you down!

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    How many people are in line to run? Are we at the point where we can do two games at once again without blowing our minds?
    What say you?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    How many people are in line to run? Are we at the point where we can do two games at once again without blowing our minds?
    What say you?

Best bet: once the currently being-educated are situated again, and before they're buried in finals and such.

• Options
    We decided to toilet train our twins this weekend (and I forgot today was a holiday), so I'll post the sign ups first thing tomorrow morning.

• Options
    Legends of Phalla is now open for sign ups

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Is "private communication allowed" an important rule for phallas? If I tried to run a "no PMs/proboards/whatever" game, would the people revolt?

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I won't revolt. Can't speak for everyone. How would the mafia select their kills?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Pretty sure it's been done once before, but can't remember any details.

I don't there'd be revolts, but probably some skepticism

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I won't revolt. Can't speak for everyone. How would the mafia select their kills?

To clarify, "no private communication" would be a general rule, with some exceptions allowed by roles/powers. Mafia of course would still get to have a PM/proboard, because I have seen games where mafia were not allowed to communicate privately, and they were disasters.

Fry on
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    One of @ObiFett 's Star Wars games didn't allow for much private communication.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I think that was the Space Battle one.

That game was specifically me screwing around with communication standards. We had two separate threads and each player could only look at one, mafia didn't even have a proboard, no one could PM, etc.

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    ObiFett wrote: »

That game was specifically me screwing around with communication standards. We had two separate threads and each player could only look at one, mafia didn't even have a proboard, no one could PM, etc.

I really enjoyed that one, not least because I decided to roleplay as someone who used all the slang from the 90s X-Wing novels. I am under the impression others enjoyed that part less.

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »

I really enjoyed that one, not least because I decided to roleplay as someone who used all the slang from the 90s X-Wing novels. I am under the impression others enjoyed that part less.

On the contrary, I enjoyed it a lot.

The mechanics were interesting during that game, I just got mad cause we as the rebels were so close to winning but Malkor didn't make a move he was supposed to and we lost.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    I didn't really think about following both threads while being a reserve.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Hum, I guess I will sign up to run a game, then. The worst that can happen is it being a disaster, right?

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    Hum, I guess I will sign up to run a game, then. The worst that can happen is it being a disaster, right?

Sometimes disasters are educational!

• Options
    “You can't give her that! It's not safe!'
    IT'S A SWORD THEY'RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.
    'She's a child!'
    IT'S EDUCATIONAL.
    'What if she cuts herself?'
    THAT WILL BE AN IMPORTANT LESSON.”

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I knew as soon as I saw the CAPS it was Terry Pratchett.

My eyes are still tearing up when I think about the fact that he's gone from this world...

Speaking of tearing up, I've decided that after this string of battle phallas and not liking the fact that battling has very little to do with them, that I'm going to create a battle phalla that actually involves fighting! I kinda ran into a road block on my Mortal Kombat themed one (as in the file that I had everything written in was on my laptop which is dead. So instead, I've decided that I'm going to work on a World of WarCraft phalla based on the Legion expansion since it's perfect for a battle phalla. So expect that some day.

• Options
    Legend of Phalla has ended with a village win.

• Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    Looks like I'm next!! Sign ups should (hopefully) be up by tomorrow.

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    Or I may wait till Saturday. It depends what all I get done tonight.

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Hey, some of us have been dead for days here!
    In all seriousness, take your time.
    I'm thinking we might be getting back towards multiple games at once at some point.

It has been awhile since I've run something hasn't it.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Supernatural sign-ups are now OPEN!!! Come join the hunt!!
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/207054/supernatural-phalla-sign-ups#latest

• Options
    I'm building out an experimental Meta game, and I'm wondering if there's a common list of overall Phalla types?

Battle, Faction, Vanilla..... are there other major classification types?

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I'm building out an experimental Meta game, and I'm wondering if there's a common list of overall Phalla types?

I was wondering about a similar question recently.

I think there's an argument to be made for adding "game board" and "soft networking" as, if not genres, potential modifiers for the genres.

We really need a Dewey Decimal system for this shit.

• Options

Types?
    I'd say there are two types, faction and standard.

Standard - An uninformed majority tries to oust an infiltrating informed minority.

Faction - Sometimes there is a mafia, sometimes its just competing factions. Sometimes people start masoned together, sometimes they don't.

I'd say all games are one of those two types. Does your battle game have factions? Faction game. No? Standard game. Or maybe not a phalla at all.
    WACriminal wrote: »

I think there's an argument to be made for adding "game board" and "soft networking" as, if not genres, potential modifiers for the genres.

I'm not really sure what you mean by genre? Soft networking isn't really a genre, its just something people do for fun to either lose games or horribly unbalance them depending on who you end up talking to.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options

Types?
    I'd say there are two types, faction and standard.

Standard - An uninformed majority tries to oust an infiltrating informed minority.

Faction - Sometimes there is a mafia, sometimes its just competing factions. Sometimes people start masoned together, sometimes they don't.

I'd say all games are one of those two types. Does your battle game have factions? Faction game. No? Standard game. Or maybe not a phalla at all.
    WACriminal wrote: »

I'm not really sure what you mean by genre? Soft networking isn't really a genre, its just something people do for fun to either lose games or horribly unbalance them depending on who you end up talking to.

Well I think the definition of "genre" can be expanded or tightened as is most useful for different topics. With Phalla, I think it's more useful to expand it to include something besides "standard or faction". There's an argument to be made that all Phallas fall into those two categories, but then again all books fall into "fiction or non-fiction" and we don't consider those to be the only useful genre designations.

I think that there is a certain style of game which mechanically emphasizes the importance of soft-networking and people-reading, by making confirmable information hard to come by, or decentralized in nature. I feel that style of game deserves its own genre designation, and "soft-networking" seems like the best option to me.

As to my other example, I think it's a meaningful distinction to discuss games that use visual game boards (like Obi's X-Wing game) versus ones that don't. Sure, maybe X-Wing was a battle game, but it wasn't just a battle game.

Does that make more sense?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I fail to see what makes a game not a soft networking game. Except for maybe one that would not allow private communication. But that's an exception, not a genre.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    there are some that might encourage more soft networking, but those are usually faction games of some kind.