As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pinny Arcade - Pinny Pal Community thread

1394042444570

Posts

  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Just a thought, but imagine a playset of Thornwatch characters: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/985647565/playsets-the-future-of-social-storytelling I'm already looking forward to this for a D&D game across the oceans. Thornwatch game? I'll give that a try.

    InsaneloonAyefkayKamelon
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    that looks amazing, dont play dnd nearly as much as id like to, something like this is a great idea, hope it works out

    My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

    8fuuo_RK.png
  • ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm not so jazzed about the idea of getting Thornwatch pins as part of a Kickstarter. I'm not that interested in the game, and buying pins as it is is enough of a squeeze on my funds.

  • grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    http://community.pinnypals.com/archives/202

    or head over to pinnypals.com :D

    Beta launched!

    Be nice :) Feedback welcome, please let me know lots of things. In case you don't get to the bottom the blog post, I'm about to take off for a few weeks, so hopefully nothing breaks but if it does, I can't really fix it till I get back. Otherwise go nuts :P

    Oh also I couldn't salvage the prior accounts, sorry I thought I could but alas, I know who registered though, so if your names goes missing, we can fix that up so you get what you original signed up with but I don't think it'll really be a problem :)

    grgemonkey on
    https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
    KamelonInsaneloonVaanroseArithon32CowpuppyJake CappsreneguagescrattatatAyefkayLadymoose
  • darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    grgemonkey wrote: »
    http://community.pinnypals.com/archives/202

    or head over to pinnypals.com :D

    Beta launched!

    Be nice :) Feedback welcome, please let me know lots of things. In case you don't get to the bottom the blog post, I'm about to take off for a few weeks, so hopefully nothing breaks but if it does, I can't really fix it till I get back. Otherwise go nuts :P

    Oh also I couldn't salvage the prior accounts, sorry I thought I could but alas, I know who registered though, so if your names goes missing, we can fix that up so you get what you original signed up with but I don't think it'll really be a problem :)

    Thank you for this. I still have to get my print out ready. This will be much easier to print with my binders.
    Halloween also shipped.

    http://www.pinnypals.com/?tab=pals&username=darkinfero

    My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Really awesome job with the site grgemonkey!

    this is probably not to do with your end, but i havent been able to connect to the irc channel from the site, it just hangs on connecting forever

    oh hang on, you are missing behemoth 'star' pin from the list .......worst site ever, imo!

    Ayefkay on
    My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

    8fuuo_RK.png
    KamelonInsaneloon
  • grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Really awesome job with the site grgemonkey!

    this is probably not to do with your end, but i havent been able to connect to the irc channel from the site, it just hangs on connecting forever

    oh hang on, you are missing behemoth 'star' pin from the list .......worst site ever, imo!

    Thanks :D

    I'll look in to the chat room issue shortly!

    https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    Nice work!
    On the pins page i think you should be able to mark whole sets as having been collected (the blue icon) only red and green are avaliable.

    VaanroseKamelonsirmrej
  • ericleoneericleone Connecticut, USARegistered User regular
    The site looks great!
    Nice work
    http://www.pinnypals.com/?tab=pals&username=eric

  • grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    Nefily wrote: »
    Nice work!
    On the pins page i think you should be able to mark whole sets as having been collected (the blue icon) only red and green are avaliable.

    It was originally like that but I removed it because it got complicated! I know it makes it easier to mark your collection but you only really do this once (and to new pins), after that, the blue icon is really inactive. Technically "sets" is a rather loose term, everything is really in term of pins. Sets are just official groups of pins sold as one, you can argue there are a lot more sets, like the Behemoth set, or the Staff Heads set etc. It just gets messy :)

    However, if people are happy for it to be "dumb", as in, it will just accept whatever you mark without question, regardless if it might be a mistake (you only have 1 set but you mark the set and pins). Then I'm happy to put it back :)

    https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Nifty site. I started populating it with my pins.

    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Woo, the site is awesome! I love the search, too. Here's my profile: http://www.pinnypals.com/?tab=pals&username=Kamelon

    @grgemonkey I just realised that, too after using the search. It says that pins are available as sets or singles. So, if I've marked that a pin is available as a set on my page also marked it in the 'pins' area, does that show up as two copies? It kind of makes sense, as I have the pins and could be willing to split the set. Just checking that's how it works.

    Also, I have a feature suggestion: I clicked on the Available/Want/Collected icons up the top of the profile page. They were big and colourful, so I clicked them! Nothing happened. I realise now I had subconsciously expected them to filter my profile. So, if I clicked Want, it would filter the list of pins to show only the ones I've marked as "want". Anyway, if that's not already a planned feature, I think it could be cool in the future (especially once a lot more pins are released).

    Thanks for the hard work on this great resource.

    Kamelon on
    Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

    "Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    i think number of pins is irrelevant as you either have or don't have that pin to trade.

    same with marking entire sets as 'collection'. once you have marked all the pins in that set as collected then there isnt much of a need for it imo

    My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

    8fuuo_RK.png
  • DegraineDegraine Pinsomniac Victoria, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Could marking the pin sets apply the setting to all the individual pins (and marking all the individual pins that are part of a set identically apply it to the set entry) at the same time, perhaps?

    Either way, signed up, set my pins. Looks pretty nice so far.

  • Aussie BenAussie Ben AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Done and done. Nicely laid out (just like my pins!).

    Profile:

    http://www.pinnypals.com/?tab=pals&username=AussieBen

  • CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    The site looks awesome! I laughed a little bit when I tried to trade with myself and it asked me if I forgot my own username. :D

    Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

    There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
  • grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    Kamelon wrote: »
    Woo, the site is awesome! I love the search, too. Here's my profile: http://www.pinnypals.com/?tab=pals&username=Kamelon

    @grgemonkey I just realised that, too after using the search. It says that pins are available as sets or singles. So, if I've marked that a pin is available as a set on my page also marked it in the 'pins' area, does that show up as two copies? It kind of makes sense, as I have the pins and could be willing to split the set. Just checking that's how it works.

    Also, I have a feature suggestion: I clicked on the Available/Want/Collected icons up the top of the profile page. They were big and colourful, so I clicked them! Nothing happened. I realise now I had subconsciously expected them to filter my profile. So, if I clicked Want, it would filter the list of pins to show only the ones I've marked as "want". Anyway, if that's not already a planned feature, I think it could be cool in the future (especially once a lot more pins are released).

    Thanks for the hard work on this great resource.

    Good feature suggestion! It's on the list, I can see that being especially useful when the pin amount grows more and more, it can be a hectic spotting the "on" badges.

    https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • InsaneloonInsaneloon Jefferson City, MissouriRegistered User regular
    @grgemonkey Just wanted to also say that the site looks great, and to thank you for all the hard work you put into it.

    Arithon32Jake CappsKamelon
  • SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    Mine shipped yesterday. Also, Monaco pins would be cool.

    Kamelon
  • SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    I'm working through the PinnyPals site now, which looks great. Also great, selecting all pins and checking off "collected." Bless your little hearts, Brain Squirrels.

    Regarding the Thornwatch thing, has there been a suggestion that there will be some kind of Pinny Arcade pins as a part of the kickstarter?

  • VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    SerpicoBC wrote: »
    Regarding the Thornwatch thing, has there been a suggestion that there will be some kind of Pinny Arcade pins as a part of the kickstarter?

    There is no official word on a Kickstarter or a set of pins. It's all just wishful thinking.

    Twitter: @vaanrose

    My PINS

    Verbosity is my charm point.
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Vaanrose wrote: »
    SerpicoBC wrote: »
    Regarding the Thornwatch thing, has there been a suggestion that there will be some kind of Pinny Arcade pins as a part of the kickstarter?

    There is no official word on a Kickstarter or a set of pins. It's all just wishful thinking.

    The following is speculation and rambling from a diseased brain. Any resemblance to reality is purely coincidental

    Thornwatch is still in what could be called the "Friends and Family Alpha" testing stage. I'm guessing that PAX East and Prime will be the Beta test. Since Aus has moved to November and Mike wants the game finished by this time next year, it's possible that PAX Aus will be the first place to buy it.

    As to Pins and Kickstarter it makes sense for them to link the two. Probably not a full set, but I wouldn't be surprised with a Kickstarter exclusive Thornwatch Pin. So far we have the Guard, Greenheart, Blade, Brierlock and Sage. They could do a 4-Set and one Kickstarter exclusive, or add more Classes and have the Thornwatch logo be the KS exclusive.

    Why would they bother doing a Kickstarter for it at all? Because it would reach a wider audience than if they just advertised it on PA. It would allow them to gauge reactions and enthusiasm before doing the first print run, and it would give them more flexibility than a simple pre-order would. Rewards levels could offer more for the higher tiers (future expansion for free, signed copy of Jerry's upcoming novel, Thornwatch Pin) and allow people to be tentative backers initially and increase the pledge as opposed to the standard "pay X, get game, thank you come again" of a pre-order.

    Tentative backers? There are a surprising proportion of people who back something at a lower level initially, and then increase their pledge as support ramps up. I have done it myself with Satellite Reign, Ninja Dice and most recently Playsets.

    Finally, why would they tie in Pins with this? Because I believe their long term goal with Pinny Arcade is to have it touch pretty much everything they do. And really, it works. PAX is awesome. PAX + Pins is more awesome. Daughters of Eyrewood comic was cool. Daughters + Hanna Pin is super cool. Thornwatch looks pretty sweet. You can guess where this is going.

    InsaneloonKamelon
  • DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    Love the PinnyPals site!

  • adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    The pin pal site looks awesome, great work on it!

    FYI, I think the Behemoth star pin is missing.

    ChMDm4Y.png
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    adambarg wrote: »
    The pin pal site looks awesome, great work on it!

    FYI, I think the Behemoth star pin is missing.

    The professional PR answer is that the Behemoth Star Pin is a live test of new Pin addition to the system.

    Although it is indeed more likely that grgemonkey just went Pin blind whilst adding them.

    Insaneloon
  • grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    Whooooops :D

    I actually removed that pin haha, I went crazy thinking it was the whale pin. The Star has been returned to its former glory :P

    https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    Think I've found a small site error. All of the pins with year variants are only displaying the users who have 2012 versions for trade. For example, Zombie Tycho currently has 6 available, but when you click on it you only see two users, both of whom are offering 2012 variants. All the other year variant pins do this, too.

    I'm not sure if I'm just missing an option to see the 2013 variants or not, though.

    Twitter: @vaanrose

    My PINS

    Verbosity is my charm point.
  • sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    Did anyone save a picture of the Behemoth gold fish/whale guy? I remember what he looked like, but I'd love a picture to show other people. I know it may never get made, but I still liked it.

  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    sirmrej wrote: »
    Did anyone save a picture of the Behemoth gold fish/whale guy? I remember what he looked like, but I'd love a picture to show other people. I know it may never get made, but I still liked it.

    It's still on the original post on the main site

    http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-KzKsSGn/0/O/i-KzKsSGn.jpg

    Edit: a bit of a big image, so I'll just leave it as a link.

    TheAggroCraig on
    ericleoneKamelon
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    FAQ will be going out in 7 days. Questions, Pin design requests you want added to the "Ideas folder", musings, ramblings and thoughts welcome.

  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Have been so into pins the past few months i cant remember whether these are new ideas or things we've already discussed in the thread, but ill just type away and you can put (or dont put) anything new for the FAQ :P

    I really like the idea of working for pins, especially since the announcement of the Killer Instinct pack where you can, if you decide to, play the game and be awarded pins for doing specific tasks in game or at PAX. Im not suggesting this be for every pin, but lets say theres just one pin, that upgrades and improves on its design every time you achieve a certain task, at a PAX, a community gaming event etc, A metagame element like this would be awesome imo.

    Similar to this, there could also be tiered lanyards that show what kind of a collector you are

    again, probably been said before, but it would be really cool to hear what gabe thinks about this

    My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

    8fuuo_RK.png
  • purevalpureval Registered User regular
    I would love to see a series of classic arcade game characters. Pac-man, Q*Bert, Space Invaders, etc. I know getting the rights might be difficult, but worth it.

    Arithon32Kamelon
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Have been so into pins the past few months i cant remember whether these are new ideas or things we've already discussed in the thread, but ill just type away and you can put (or dont put) anything new for the FAQ :P

    I really like the idea of working for pins, especially since the announcement of the Killer Instinct pack where you can, if you decide to, play the game and be awarded pins for doing specific tasks in game or at PAX. Im not suggesting this be for every pin, but lets say theres just one pin, that upgrades and improves on its design every time you achieve a certain task, at a PAX, a community gaming event etc, A metagame element like this would be awesome imo.

    again, probably been said before, but it would be really cool to hear what gabe thinks about this

    An evolving Pin? How would that work? You mean the design is enhanced, and the more work done the more enhancements it gets? What kind of design would be the start? What would be the end? How many intermediate stages would there be?

    What would be required to unlock each evolution? How do you gauge the amount of work to ensure that the difficulty isn't too high or too low?

    I have an idea of what you mean, and a few thoughts bubbling as to how to make this work. But if you (or anyone else) can elaborate a little it might help.
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Similar to this, there could also be tiered lanyards that show what kind of a collector you are

    I fully intend to use lanyards to show the kind of collector I am. Which is probably more towards the "crazed" end of the spectrum.

    PedroAsani on
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    pureval wrote: »
    I would love to see a series of classic arcade game characters. Pac-man, Q*Bert, Space Invaders, etc. I know getting the rights might be difficult, but worth it.

    Well I would love a Taito set, Bubble Bobble dragons are you kidding me? Problem is that I think all the IP is now owned by Square Enix.

    Aussie Ben
  • cabbie98cabbie98 Registered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Have been so into pins the past few months i cant remember whether these are new ideas or things we've already discussed in the thread, but ill just type away and you can put (or dont put) anything new for the FAQ :P

    I really like the idea of working for pins, especially since the announcement of the Killer Instinct pack where you can, if you decide to, play the game and be awarded pins for doing specific tasks in game or at PAX. Im not suggesting this be for every pin, but lets say theres just one pin, that upgrades and improves on its design every time you achieve a certain task, at a PAX, a community gaming event etc, A metagame element like this would be awesome imo.

    again, probably been said before, but it would be really cool to hear what gabe thinks about this

    An evolving Pin? How would that work? You mean the design is enhanced, and the more work done the more enhancements it gets? What kind of design would be the start? What would be the end? How many intermediate stages would there be?

    What would be required to unlock each evolution? How do you gauge the amount of work to ensure that the difficulty isn't too high or too low?

    I have an idea of what you mean, and a few thoughts bubbling as to how to make this work. But if you (or anyone else) can elaborate a little it might help.
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Similar to this, there could also be tiered lanyards that show what kind of a collector you are

    I fully intend to use lanyards to show the kind of collector I am. Which is probably more towards the "crazed" end of the spectrum.

    I imagine it to be smaller pieces that form a larger picture when they are all collected.

    The four quadrants of a circle with different designs on each is something I have seen done for other pin sets not related to penny arcade.

    WiiU: cabbie98
    3DS FC: 4382-1976-1645
    Pin Pals Digital Lanyard
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I imagined it to be a series of pins, starting at lvl 1 with a basic design, every time you complete a task or hit a milestone you get a new pin, slightly Improved in design like from bronze to silver to gold to platinum etc....then at the end of the year you'd have a whole line that will show how far you've gone to reach the end.

    My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

    8fuuo_RK.png
  • Aussie BenAussie Ben AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I know I was thinking of a set that when fully collected, it would form a larger whole. So let's say there's your fictional Smash Bros set - when you put all the character pieces together, it forms the shape of the Smash Bros logo.

  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    I imagined it to be a series of pins, starting at lvl 1 with a basic design, every time you complete a task or hit a milestone you get a new pin, slightly Improved in design like from bronze to silver to gold to platinum etc....then at the end of the year you'd have a whole line that will show how far you've gone to reach the end.

    And so what kind of milestones were you thinking of?

  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    that would be for them to design :P But I was thinking either at PAX, like a scavenger hunt (similar to the one that got you the chandra goggles from the WOTC Magic booth, or a community scheduled gaming event, play an online game during a week with another community member.

    again these are just my ramblings, actual specifics of each task or milestone can be figured out later either by us or PA

    My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

    8fuuo_RK.png
    Ladymoose
This discussion has been closed.