As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pinny Arcade - Pinny Pal Community thread

• Options
    InsaneloonInsaneloon Jefferson City, MissouriRegistered User regular
    Having a larger limited run for this pin worked for purposes of growing the customer base; Dreamwriter, miker525, and VegaObscura are a local representation of this. If you look at how much the hobby as grown over each PAX this year, I'm excited to see where things go next year. We really are at the ground floor of this hobby. In a year or two a limited run of 2000 will sell out in minutes.

In the meanwhile though, it depends on how much demand they want to create. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next big limited pin run be 500, and orders limited to one per transaction.

• Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    Insaneloon wrote: »
    Having a larger limited run for this pin worked for purposes of growing the customer base; Dreamwriter, miker525, and VegaObscura are a local representation of this. If you look at how much the hobby as grown over each PAX this year, I'm excited to see where things go next year. We really are at the ground floor of this hobby. In a year or two a limited run of 2000 will sell out in minutes.

In the meanwhile though, it depends on how much demand they want to create. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next big limited pin run be 500, and orders limited to one per transaction.

I definitely agree. I love that this pin run obviously brought in new collectors, and I hope that every pin set brings in more.

• Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    They are still learning the pin business. They tried 1000 for Hannah, it sold out too quickly. 2000 for this, too slow. Maybe next time, 1500 would work better.

I don't think that anything less then a 24 hour sellout should be considered failure.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    These will sell out, its just a matter of how fast they'll sell out. The pin community is growing, but PAX is really the big time for people to collect and whatnot, I never hear people talk Disney pins for example outside of when they're going to Florida.

• Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Imsorad wrote: »
    They are still learning the pin business. They tried 1000 for Hannah, it sold out too quickly. 2000 for this, too slow. Maybe next time, 1500 would work better.

I don't think that anything less then a 24 hour sellout should be considered failure.

I'm shocked they weren't all gone in 15 minutes, but I definitely agree. I would really prefer that all future limited edition pins have a reasonable amount of time for users to pick one up (i.e. don't have to wake up in the middle of the night, panic if on vacation, etc).

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    timebeingtimebeing Registered User regular
    I'm not completely shocked. Hanna was the first post Prime limited one, but since then we have seen lots of pins come out with more to come. I think a lot of the enthusiast are slowing down, and even some of the hard cores are moving to enthusiast level. I'm for sure slowing down. I did get 2 of the 15th so i can have trade stock for next year prime, but i doubt I'll pick up Halloween or Xmas.

I do hope with each Pax more people are pulled into collecting. but i think a little of the post Prime Craze was people suddenly seeing how much sets, and AUS/EAST/Kickstarter (do recall that was a $150 pin) started selling for. I'm not sure if 15th or Hanna will ever get to those levels even with only 1000 or 2000 of them out there.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    00Fayt00 wrote: »
    Jake Capps wrote: »
    I think they really need to scale back on the numbers being produced. It seems like most pins were made in groups of 1K. This is probably the biggest batch outside of CTS & Zombie Tycho. I can understand because it's the 15th anniversary, and this gives fans that are not Pinny Pals the ability to join in the fun. There should be Limited pins in batches of 300 or 500 at the most. Maybe very limited pins only given to PA employes for how long they have been at the company or Childs Play auction pins limited to 1 or 2. If every Pinny Pal that wants a pin has an equal chance of getting one it throws off the whole economy.

I was just having this discussion with someone yesterday. I too agree that for at least the next year or so they shouldn't do 'limited pin' runs over 1K. It just makes them feel LESS limited when they don't sell out and are sitting there. Once the fan base grows some more of course this can change.

I am glad that everyone was able to get one that wanted one...but it seems that 1000 was about the cap of the immediate demand for the pin as after that the only tweets that went out are that 'it looks like the pins will be there until tomorrow'.

Well Mike just tweeted that they have 31 left. So 2000 seems about right.

Now, I'd like to point out why 300 or 500 runs would suck. Hands up if you missed out on a PAX ticket and really wanted to go?

The whole point of a Limited run isn't to screw over fans by making them fight it out for a Pin, Black-Friday-Tickle-Me-Elmo style. If you are a collector at the point they release the Limited Pins you should have a chance to get one.

Hanna selling out in 15 minutes wasn't a Good Thing. There were people on here who couldn't get one, despite getting prepped. Luckily those who had spares have been good about trades. But wanting the Limited Pins to be rarer straight away, it seems a little short sighted. If you get one, then you have a thing that few other people have. Yay? I mean, that is going to happen naturally as Pinny Arcade grows. To force that condition at the expense of other current collectors...I don't like it. And the flip side, what if you miss out on the 300/500 Limited Edition run? Isn't that a way to create bad blood between collectors? "I was waiting for the Drop and they all sold out, look at these people who got extra and want loads in return for trade."

As for "throws off the whole economy", no it doesn't. Right now every collector is getting a Pin for their collection, and another to trade. "But who will they trade for if everyone already has one?" Future collectors. Check out the posts a little above this one, we have new people joining us every Pin issue. Already those Hanna Pins have potential tradees. Whilst something might not be rare now, it will get increasingly rare in the future. This happened with the DLC. Everyone who wanted one was able to get one by backing the Kickstarter. No limited run, if 10,000 people had backed that level we would have 10,000 DLC. But 300 were made, and that is because 300 people wanted one.

Now, a few more people want one. Rarity increase over time, It's Super Effective!

Childs Play Auction Pins limited to 1 or 2? First, are you trying to make brains explode? Second, if they wanted to raise more money they would make more Pins to auction. 1 Pin going for $1000 is not as good as 10 going for $200. Add zeroes to each side as you see fit, it still works.

TL;DR If you want your Limited Pins to be rare, just have patience. It happens eventually.

• Options
    Aussie BenAussie Ben AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Thank you, yes, this. Pins are cool, but trying to create scarcity like that would be horrible. The community stays cool as long as the people with in it do. We want more people to join in the fun, not alienate people! Seeing people who have no interest in pins trying to exploit people who like collecting them on eBay is bad enough already. =/

Keep pins fun, be friends, and don't be a jerk. xxoo

• Options
    Imsorad wrote: »

Especially on a Monday. There are some people who have to choose between Pins and Food until they get paid on the Friday. Obviously those who choose food have weak and inferior squirrels, but I don't blame them for it.

24 hours is about right for something like this. A big initial rush clears out over 1000 right now, and 2000 is done in a good time. So as this grows you are going to see the time go down until the number of Pins goes up again. It will be interesting to see if changing the release day, or the subject of the Pin makes a noticeable difference (will a Lookout Limited Pin beat an Automata one?).

• Options
    KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Wow, bidding on the Desert Bus Pinny Arcade lot is going on right now. They've just thrown in the 15th Anniversary pin, to sweeten the pig. Also Mike just texted them to say he'd throw in a Hanna pin too. Plus the original art for the Professor Pigglesworth pin.

Wow. It's already at $3000 and bidding is not slowing down.

Kamelon on
    Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

"Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
  • Options
    Kamelon wrote: »
    Wow, bidding on the Desert Bus Pinny Arcade lot is going on right now. They've just thrown in the 15th Anniversary pin, to sweeten the pig. Also Mike just texted them to say he'd throw in a Hanna pin too. Plus the original art for the Professor Pigglesworth pin.

Wow. It's already at $3000 and bidding is not slowing down.

They keep adding Pins! Elspeth just got added.

• Options
    KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Woah, it went for $5005! That's 42 pins and around $120 per pin (for charity :D). Record as their highest auction this year. Ha, and the bus crashed. And the chat crashed too?

rkcr was the generous and fortunate winner. Are they part of the forums already?

Kamelon on
    Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

"Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
  • Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    How many pins? ALL THE PINS!

• Options
    pvp_pandapvp_panda Registered User regular
    https://desertbus.org/live-auction/253

Winning bid at the bottom of page

• Options
    the_rock_forthe_rock_for Registered User new member
    Hey guys, this is rkcr. I apparently registered on this site a while ago. I have no clue what I was thinking when I registered this name.

Anyways, every year I donate money to CP. This year has been especially good to me so I wanted to donate more. I always say that I wish I could get something out of my donation but I'm so lazy that I usually just hand over some cash Dec. 31. So this was a lot of fun. :) Last year I got to do ümloud, that was also a blast.

I actually own zero pins so this will be a good starter set. Mainly the prize fits exactly with what I want for a charity auction - something that didn't take a ton of resources to make. I would feel bad if I won something that cost a lot of money that could've been donated directly. For example, I've always wanted to go to the formal dinner but I can't justify spending the money on airfare/hotels to Seattle when I could be putting that towards CP.

Anyways, I'm glad everyone seemed to have a good time and I know the money will be put to good use.

• Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Kamelon wrote: »
    Woah, it went for $5005! That's 42 pins and around $120 per pin (for charity :D). Record as their highest auction this year. Ha, and the bus crashed. And the chat crashed too?

rkcr was the generous and fortunate winner. Are they part of the forums already?

Woah, indeed....Thats a little over my price range haha.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    I was watching in the IRC with the back and forth, your final bid was a true smackdown.

For those who didn't see, there was a rivalry going on for quite a while, and it went from $3300 to rkcr bidding $5000, and then rkcr outbid himself for an extra $5 so they could unlock the "Over 5000" achievement. The chat just went crazy.

• Options
    pvp_pandapvp_panda Registered User regular
    15th Anniversary Pin is sold out!

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Indeed 2000 seems like the perfect number in this case. These pins are limited, and while they may not seem super desirable now, wait a year more and they will become much more in demand. I suspect East, as the first PAX to have its sophmore year with Pins will bring a horde of changes to the Pinny economy (pinconomy?). Tons of pin collectors are only collecting in person at PAXen, and its up to us to advertise the community and get them here in the off season.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    the_rock_for, congratulations on your win! It was pretty incredible listening to the back and forth on my commute to work this afternoon, it was one of the most exciting auctions this year (second only to the NASA auction, and that was mainly because I got super excited when they switched on the first Space Brothers theme). I hope you'll use this as an awesome jumping off point and get into the Pinny Pal community!

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    I would really like to see PA do something with the con exclusive pins similar to what Hasbro does with their con exclusive releases. They hold back a few from the convention and then sell those and damaged items online for fans who were not there. That way we would at least have a chance of getting some of the sets. Personally, I would not care if I got a pin with a damaged card or missing back, as it will just be going into my display anyway. Any thoughts?

• Options
    pureval wrote: »
    I would really like to see PA do something with the con exclusive pins similar to what Hasbro does with their con exclusive releases. They hold back a few from the convention and then sell those and damaged items online for fans who were not there. That way we would at least have a chance of getting some of the sets. Personally, I would not care if I got a pin with a damaged card or missing back, as it will just be going into my display anyway. Any thoughts?

Well they will be in a way when they release the blind boxes.

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    Hey guys, this is rkcr. I apparently registered on this site a while ago. I have no clue what I was thinking when I registered this name.

Anyways, every year I donate money to CP. This year has been especially good to me so I wanted to donate more. I always say that I wish I could get something out of my donation but I'm so lazy that I usually just hand over some cash Dec. 31. So this was a lot of fun. :) Last year I got to do ümloud, that was also a blast.

I actually own zero pins so this will be a good starter set. Mainly the prize fits exactly with what I want for a charity auction - something that didn't take a ton of resources to make. I would feel bad if I won something that cost a lot of money that could've been donated directly. For example, I've always wanted to go to the formal dinner but I can't justify spending the money on airfare/hotels to Seattle when I could be putting that towards CP.

Anyways, I'm glad everyone seemed to have a good time and I know the money will be put to good use.
    Dude can I give you 2 pins from prime so I can help you out.
    I can give you chainsaw suit and a rayman pin.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular

Do we know if that's definitely happening?

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    Headhunter wrote: »

Yes they're coming though we don't know when. I think the last speculation that I saw was that they might be coming after East but ?.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    They could make a pin-fort outta all those pins we traded away...

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Out of curiosity, has anyone received their Killer Instinct Pin Ultimate Editions yet?

What do they look like? Thoughts? Photos? DETAILS!?!?!?

Ayefkay on
    My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Headhunter wrote: »

Blind boxes are slated for 2014. I'll be asking for more details in the next FAQ.
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, has anyone received their Killer Instinct Pin Ultimate Editions yet?

What do they look like? Thoughts? Photos? DETAILS!?!?!?

I believe they are going to be delivered on the 22nd. I'll get someone to take a few photos.

• Options
    adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    Yay, anniversary pins have arrived! Size comparison to Hanna:
    BAuGlTk.jpg

ChMDm4Y.png
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Mmmmm. Giganto pin.

Is the KI Pin Ultimate being delivered on Friday or is that when they ship? I feel like that is when they will ship. I have mine and a pin pal's copies coming whenever they are released.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Mmmmm. Giganto pin.

Is the KI Pin Ultimate being delivered on Friday or is that when they ship? I feel like that is when they will ship. I have mine and a pin pal's copies coming whenever they are released.

I just called MS and asked. The guy on the support line says they are most likely shipping Friday, with a delivery estimate of 3-7 business days depending where you are.

For those people in or around Seattle, it is often much quicker, with some people getting it the same day.

As far as he knows, the game code is going to be inside the box, and not accessible online. However, keep an eye on your email just in case, as it is possible they will mail the codes out so you can download the game on release day.

For everyone I have bought a copy, I will be sending codes out as soon as I have access to them. Since I am having the boxes delivered to Seattle it should be pretty quick.

• Options
    mayoukonekomayoukoneko Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    20131121_202751.jpg
    Thank you PA! This box arrived today for the AUS [E] Halloween order I placed earlier this month. So many shinies!

• Options
    Aussie BenAussie Ben AustraliaRegistered User regular
    That's...a lot of pins

• Options
    So in defiance of everything I posted earlier, I just received an email saying that 1 of the 4 copies had shipped. This is going to be interesting.

• Options
    Interesting indeed, keep us posted :)

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    I know I'm a day late to this conversation, but I think that a 2,000 pin run is vastly better than a 300 pin run or, heaven forbid, a 20 pin run. Being a completist should be hard but not impossible.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Interesting indeed, keep us posted :)

Edit: All 4 on the way.

PedroAsani on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Mine might ship today (if not tomorrow). Looks like they finally took out their money from my Paypal.

edit: Yup. Got an email saying they shipped.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    rndoomrndoom Registered User new member
    Wow! Mayoukoneko that's a lot of pins!!! :o !!!!

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    2 of my KI pins sets shipped

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
This discussion has been closed.