As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pinny Arcade - Pinny Pal Community thread

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    bleh. "condition not met: [blank]" should have guess my work pc wouldn't be able to handle the sale

edit: working now... gues it wasn't up just yet

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    It was saying that for me because I didn't have enough money on my card.

I was only going to get one, but since I had to move some money over...

• Options
    grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    Hmmm I was getting the condition not met error as well, I thought it was because I had quantity "2" so I switched to 1 and got through.

But now it looks like I can get another one but not interested in another postage cost :/ Oh well, at least I got one for the collection.

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • Options
    Weird, I guess that's why I did not see the error (only had 1 in my cart to begin with).

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    And all of a sudden, the reservations I had with the valentines day pin vanished as i clicked the purchase button. NEEEEEEEEEEEEW PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Weird, I guess that's why I did not see the error (only had 1 in my cart to begin with).

I only had one to start with when I got it.

• Options
    NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    Almost missed this release, good thing i came to check for new posts =D Thanks!

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Wow, without them using the words limited edition it seems like almost nobody gives a shit about this pin release... the traffic for Hanna was outrageous, as well as the 15th anniversary one (though that lasted for about a full day in the store).

• Options
    Wow, without them using the words limited edition it seems like almost nobody gives a shit about this pin release... the traffic for Hanna was outrageous, as well as the 15th anniversary one (though that lasted for about a full day in the store).

I'm starting to think more things like the KI pins need to exist, as just collecting store pins is losing its lustre, for me anyway.

I think PAX pins should also be made a bit harder to acquire, so that perhaps it's virtually impossible to get the whole lot in one PAX but maybe with a bigger promotion on being able to get 2 of the same pin and then you have to trade your way to a full collection. Maybe even take it as far as pins are only acquirable on days 1/2 and then day 3 is an all out trade bonanza.

I'm not sure how people still feel about "always needing to able to reach 100%" but it looks like it's doing more long term damage than the short term satisfaction of getting the pins.

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    ----
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm not sure I'd still be into it if I couldn't get 100%. This is me personally but I seem to lose interest in collections if I miss something, and I've collected ALOT over the years.

Regarding valentines pin, gabe has mentioned and seems to be hinting that this pin could be reused next year.

Ayefkay on
    My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular

I think a lot of people are waiting for the KI Pins so they can save on shipping. Once they drop, we should see a lot of movement. Myself I got two now, because there was some other stuff I wanted to bundle with them.

• Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    I could see this staying in stock longer, just because this one may only really apply to the pin collectors.

Hanna was a tie-in with the fantastic "The Tithe" storyline, and quite a few people might have picked it up based on that, regardless of any interest in Pinny Arcade. The 10th Anniversary pin would have been an even bigger deal, a special piece of memorabilia for PA fans. The Valentine's Day pin doesn't have the same sort of value to non-pin collectors as the other two would.

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd still be into it if I couldn't get 100%. This is me personally but I seem to lose interest in collections if I miss something, and I've collected ALOT over the years.

I knew I was out of trying to get every pin when they released twelve of them for a single game company all at once. And that was a good thing, because now I can just focus on 3rd party ones I actually would like to have.

And if they ever release too many of the standard ones.. at some point I can put some back into the trading pool I guess.

• Options
    Wow, without them using the words limited edition it seems like almost nobody gives a shit about this pin release...

And "limited edition" may be irrelevant anyway since there is potential for reusing the design next year. It's just limited in terms of 2014 (if one considers that criteria important).

Anyway, I agree. Not much excitement for this one.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    Received my shipment notice about an hour ago. Four hours from order to shipment, that's pretty great! Well done, fulfillment team.

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    Same here, getting faster all the time

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm skipping the Valentine's pin. Honestly, it feels really uninspired and I don't think it should cost the same as the Anniversary pin. I realize the large size of the pin attributes to the cost, but I don't understand the thought process that led them to charging the same for this one as one that was both more limited (no chance of reproduction) and more in demand. I'm sure others feel the same as I do.

Add to this the fact that Hanna and the Anniversary pin haven't been trading as hotly as many anticipated (since most of us bought two of each anyway), I'd reckon a good number of people who bought two of those only bought one of these. The pin community hasn't grown that large yet, so without the double buyers, a pin won't sell as quickly.

Twitter: @vaanrose

My PINS

Verbosity is my charm point.
  • Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    grgemonkey wrote: »
    I think PAX pins should also be made a bit harder to acquire, so that perhaps it's virtually impossible to get the whole lot in one PAX but maybe with a bigger promotion on being able to get 2 of the same pin and then you have to trade your way to a full collection. Maybe even take it as far as pins are only acquirable on days 1/2 and then day 3 is an all out trade bonanza.

I'm not sure how people still feel about "always needing to able to reach 100%" but it looks like it's doing more long term damage than the short term satisfaction of getting the pins.

This is the 'slow season' A LARGE majority of us started collecting after Prime, when the first large batch of pins was released. Those pins won't be released next year there and so all the NEW collectors will be going crazy trying to make their collections complete. Yes, most of us have finished our collections, or as much as we want to....but the new collectors every year haven't. While it may seem like it's getting boring or something to you, it is better being on the ground floor then trying to get them all two years from now.

Vaanrose wrote: »
    Add to this the fact that Hanna and the Anniversary pin haven't been trading as hotly as many anticipated (since most of us bought two of each anyway), I'd reckon a good number of people who bought two of those only bought one of these. The pin community hasn't grown that large yet, so without the double buyers, a pin won't sell as quickly.

Again, WE all got an extra for trading. WE all have a Hanna and an Anniversary pin...but the collectors from here on out won't.

I think everyone is collecting the fact that we all were on the ground floor with collecting this first year. The forums have slowed down...a lot...in our little section here, but that is to be expected. A lot of the other parts of the forums aren't waiting for pins to drop and have a lot larger base of things that they talk about while we keep our discussions pin related. The busy times will always be during and right after PAX events, and in between the event(1-2 after each event) it will get slower here. Not that the interest isn't there to trade, we just were the lucky few to have gotten in on the pin trading early. Imaging coming into this at PAX Prime next year and getting super into pin trading, and having to try to get all of the 2012/2013 pins.

00Fayt00 on
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I can see the pins being almost intimidating to people in the future, tough to say though since we're just getting to the end of the first full year with them.

PAX East I'm really hoping is something great for pin trading, the people who bought the sets last year seeing the people who went to Prime and Aus with pins they don't have, I really hope that sparks some jealousy.

Not having a DLC pin is the only thing killing my collecting mood right now... maybe some day...

• Options
    Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    I too choose to show my disappoint in this months pin "release" by not buying it. The already established $15 as LE price point when other single pins like Troll Fart, and Chainsawsuit were $10. Hopefully we fair better with Easter but I'm sure we will get a "Gabe with bunny ears", and very edgy "Tycho with Easter basket" set.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Options
    Apology if I always seem like I'm negative. I enjoy the forums, and you guys(and gals) make Pin trading cool. I'm looking forward to the excitement of PAX to churn things up again.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Options
    El_FunkoEl_Funko Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I ordered two of the Valentine's day pin, even though I think the design is pretty mundane and the price is a bit questionable. Hopefully there's another influx of pinny arcade collectors later in the year who want to trade for it, but then again they might only have to wait till next year to pick it up for themselves.

I really liked the Acquisitions Inc set (especially the logo pin) so I'm willing to let a single lacklustre holiday pin go without complaining too much. Let's hope the next release(s) are extra cool.

• Options
    i agree with whoever said earlier. Its a bit slow for us now because we have all been here from the beginning. 2013 round of PAX's were the first shows where pins were introduced. Come 2014 and there will be plenty of new collectors who would be interested in trading for our 'older' pins.

Valentines pin was hit or miss for some people, but it certainly shouldn't be seen as a sign to come that our hobby and newly formed community are about to die.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Jake Capps wrote: »
    Apology if I always seem like I'm negative. I enjoy the forums, and you guys(and gals) make Pin trading cool. I'm looking forward to the excitement of PAX to churn things up again.

I think that we are in the calm before the storm that will be the PAX East Pin Drop. When they are announced I expect this place to light up.

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    grgemonkey wrote: »
    I think PAX pins should also be made a bit harder to acquire

Harder to acquire? They are discontinuing staff pins, those are now impossible to acquire! And even during PAX, what are the chances an average person would have run into every one of the staff members to get their pins? And the Gabe/Tycho staff pins are changing, you can't acquire the 2013 versions without trading either. People like me who didn't get into it until the Anniversary Pin have a long road to hoe to get a decent set, trading's gonna be tough.

Pin trading is about the long-term, not just one event.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    And what do people mean 'harder to acquire'? Lining up to a booth (which already takes a considerable amount of time) and playing whatever game, and then getting a pin kills two birds with one stone. Having tasks to do to earn pins would mean less time spent attending panels, lining up for booths etc.

The behemoth booth at Prime sounded ok though, spin the wheel to get a pin, not sure how frequently people were able to obtain all 8 from it, but i heard there was a trading table nearby as well.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Konig WolfKonig Wolf Registered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    And what do people mean 'harder to acquire'? Lining up to a booth (which already takes a considerable amount of time) and playing whatever game, and then getting a pin kills two birds with one stone. Having tasks to do to earn pins would mean less time spent attending panels, lining up for booths etc.

The behemoth booth at Prime sounded ok though, spin the wheel to get a pin, not sure how frequently people were able to obtain all 8 from it, but i heard there was a trading table nearby as well.

It was actually Hidden Path that had the spin wheel. They were the ones who had the Jinn and Juggernaut Pins. I played their games a few times, never got a Pin, just beta codes and posters, so I opted to trade to get those two.

Behemoth had a long line to get to the registers at first where you could exchange $5 for (I believe it was) 300 Yen to use in the Gashapon machines ($5 = 1 random Behemoth Pin). There was an issue that resulted in them not being able to accept credit cards for a while. They then allowed you to bring cash to a person standing behind the table or nearby and they would exchange money there. Machines would run out and have to be restocked every now and then.

Behemoth Pins were really popular, especially certain ones like Giraffey. I like there being a couple decent sized sets at PAX and several smaller ones. It makes it feel like there are a few large quests, and a few small side ones (the Staff Pins were like the main campaign and the DLC was the final showdown with the boss, or in this case Brian Sunter's girlfriend).

• Options
    SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    So I was absolutely slammed at work for the past few days with meetings and whatnot and I totally missed the drop of the Valentine's Day pin. Thankfully, it was still online today and I bought two. Thank goodness there wasn't the chaos of the Hanna pin.

• Options
    I think I remember a FAQ where Mike stated that the pin drops for EAST, and AUS would be similar to PRIME. As a Pinny Pal this has me a little worried. Does anyone else have a plan of attack? It's one thing to get pins for yourself let alone 3 sets. I'm hoping trading tables will be a thing at EAST. I see other groups planning after hours meet ups. I'm sure we are more than capable to figure out the logistics for that. It might be easier to build sets if more of us work together. I was also thinking of putting together a printed cheat sheet when they release images of PAX pins. It's gonna be hell keeping track of all this. I like pins but I'm not spending my entire PAX doing nothing but looking for pins.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

• Options
    sirensiren Registered User regular
    I am a bit worried about collecting PAX East pins this year. I am going to Aus, so I am hoping to either trade a bunch of my extras from PAX Prime this year or rares like my extra Hanna and 15 year pins for some East2014 pins. Then us PAX Prime2013 & Prime2014 Pins to get some awesome stuff at Aus2014 in October.

• Options
    NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    the pin trading at aus was really casual but lots of people got the set so im wondering if all those people might not be keeping up to date with the pin releases here and will just rock up to the next pax and be like woah u have so many cool pins! trade with me! hehe i hope anyway.

• Options
    I guess what I mean by harder to acquire is just pins not for sale, it gets increasingly less enjoyable just hitting add cart or handing over $X to a booth.

New collectors are precisely the reason we need diversity in pin collections, they don't have great odds at older pins, people with these pins are probably going to get most if not all future pins by themselves and have no need to trade their rarer old pins for new pins. Especially since it is essentially a charity case, you could just sell the older pins and buy 2-4x as many new pins with the same money, I know a lot of traders don't do this sort of thing but let's be realistic, it happens and will happen a lot. My solution is to just not trade my rarer pins...but you see where the problem is there :)

That is, unless of course, newer pins become harder to acquire :) This is the only way new collectors even have a chance outside of very high figures of money, they dedicate themselves to a pin many people can not reasonably acquire, then they can trade that for the rarer older stuff.

----
  • Options
    VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    I think putting a bit more challenge into certain pins could be fun, as long as they are actual challenges. Hidden Path's wheel-of-luck was a terrible decision and I think they realized that pretty quickly. Lots of pin collectors bogged down the lines going through again and again.

I must have gone through the line five or six times until the guy took pity on me and just gave me the Jin Pin without even spinning the wheel.

I think it would be interesting to see something like the Killer Instinct challenges get implemented at PAX, but I would be concerned at just how long lines for something like that would get, as surely plenty of people would go through multiple times.

Twitter: @vaanrose

My PINS

Verbosity is my charm point.
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    What I'd want them to do at a PAX is have like a Pinny Arcade checklist in the program guide or in the goodie bag that details what pins there are at that PAX and the ways to obtain them. Something along the lines of: Play our game at the demo station and unlock a specific cheevo to get a pin.

That way you have fun and invest time playing a game instead of it being by chance or pre-ordering a game only to come back the next day to cancel it.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    I got my Jin pin on my first try which was awesome, I didn't even realize there was a second pin at their booth until the end of the day Monday. I got there and they had 6 Juggernaut pins left when I started playing, and by the time I was done the last one was taken RIGHT before me. Thankfully some kind soul didn't give a damn about the pin and traded me for my shirt/poster (I think?) that I won, which was amazing.

I expect all of the Behemoth pins to be repeats at East, but with Little Guy as well of course.

Everything beyond that I expect to be new, which will be great for me to be able to show off on here because a lot less of you go to East as opposed to Prime :P

I'm kind of hoping that maybe some of us going to East can work together to get full sets too... I know I have to hunt down the entire staff this time because I traded all of mine away with the huge hopes of being able to get them again at East, so hopefully that will work itself out.

• Options
    Ah yes, pre ordering is another idea i didn't like hearing about. As much as i LOVED Rayman legends, if i was there i would just cancel it immediately after i got home.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    In all fairness I like how the different vendors have different method of doing pins. I'm sure it all depends on how big the companies are and how many they're willing to give away.

Sony: Give them to everyone to feel good
    Wizards: Give them to everyone to feel good
    Hidden Path: Ruin lives

For the record, at Prime, did they ever run out of the inFamous or Elspeth pins? I did both on... either Sunday or Monday and was curious if some people just didn't get one. I know Rayman ran out, but they had a certain amount saved for each day or something too.

• Options
    I think doing an activity at a booth is a good idea, but...and this might sound odd, but there should be little to no chance of actually losing. Nobody wants to line up for 20 minutes for nothing....Eg (was it hidden path or behemoth?) Pay $5 for a CHANCE at a pin, and you might get....a poster instead...is just BS imo....

Not that ive ever been to disney land, but from what ive heard, its pretty much line up and collect, and the only reasons nobody has a full set is A... disney pins have been around for years and B... disney land is freaking HUGE, impossible to get them all in one visit. More pins is what increases diversity and trading opportunities within the community, not harder to obtain.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Konig WolfKonig Wolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    As far as I know there has never been a Pin that you would pay money and not get a Pin. Behemoth was a guaranteed Pin for $5, it was just random which one of the 8 you would get.

The Jin and Juggernaut Pins were free, you just had to test either Windborne or Defense Grid 2 for a few minutes, and then spin the wheel, it was just a really low chance of getting the Pin.

Konig Wolf on
This discussion has been closed.