As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pinny Arcade - Pinny Pal Community thread

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    And what do people mean 'harder to acquire'? Lining up to a booth (which already takes a considerable amount of time) and playing whatever game, and then getting a pin kills two birds with one stone. Having tasks to do to earn pins would mean less time spent attending panels, lining up for booths etc.

The behemoth booth at Prime sounded ok though, spin the wheel to get a pin, not sure how frequently people were able to obtain all 8 from it, but I heard there was a trading table nearby as well.

Hidden Path was a Spin the Wheel game, and you got one play for each time you played the demo. I spent so many times playing Defense Grid 2 (awesome) so that I got enough Jin and Juggernaut Pins.
    Jake Capps wrote: »
    I think I remember a FAQ where Mike stated that the pin drops for EAST, and AUS would be similar to PRIME. As a Pinny Pal this has me a little worried. Does anyone else have a plan of attack? It's one thing to get pins for yourself let alone 3 sets. I'm hoping trading tables will be a thing at EAST. I see other groups planning after hours meet ups. I'm sure we are more than capable to figure out the logistics for that. It might be easier to build sets if more of us work together. I was also thinking of putting together a printed cheat sheet when they release images of PAX pins. It's gonna be hell keeping track of all this. I like pins but I'm not spending my entire PAX doing nothing but looking for pins.

I'm hoping that as a community we can organise a little more this time, as well as set up Pin Pals for everyone. One thing I want to do is have a pre-PAX meetup so that we can talk and get to know each other face to face. It will help when/if we run into each other on the convention floor to be able to recognise each other and say "oh hey, you need [Pin], right? I just saw [Person] go that way!"

The cheat sheet is something I suggested to Mike at Prime. A backing card like the Pins come on, but bigger and with the names/silhouettes of the Pins on it. Or maybe just a reference guide in the PAX Guidebook?
    siren wrote: »
    I am a bit worried about collecting PAX East pins this year. I am going to Aus, so I am hoping to either trade a bunch of my extras from PAX Prime this year or rares like my extra Hanna and 15 year pins for some East2014 pins. Then us PAX Prime2013 & Prime2014 Pins to get some awesome stuff at Aus2014 in October.

I will try and have some extra Pins from East and Prime when I arrive at Aus this year, so that those sans Pin Pals will still get a chance to trade.

• Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Unrelated, did you find out anything about shipping our KI packs to Australia?

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    VersuserikVersuserik (E) Versuserik Maui HawaiiRegistered User regular
    Howdy friends! I've been absent for sometime as my laptop shit the bed. Just got an iPad so I'm back! Looks like I'm going to East unexpectedly and I am super stoked about pin trading. I thought I was gunna have to wait until Prime to get my hands on the new batch of pins. I'm kinda freaking out!

PAX PRIME 2015 Status:
    [♦ ] 4 Day Passes
    [♦ ] Hotel
    [ ] Plane Tickets
    [♦]Working my ass off to pay for all this shit.
  • Options
    Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    I'm hoping that as a community we can organise a little more this time, as well as set up Pin Pals for everyone. One thing I want to do is have a pre-PAX meetup so that we can talk and get to know each other face to face. It will help when/if we run into each other on the convention floor to be able to recognise each other and say "oh hey, you need [Pin], right? I just saw [Person] go that way!"

^ This right here.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Options
    Unrelated, did you find out anything about shipping our KI packs to Australia?

I'll send a PM on Skype. The gist is that you should be safe.

As an offer to anyone else in Aus, I'm shipping a box soon and there is room for a few more Pins. Anyone who wants the Sabrewulf/Combo Breaker or even Valentines Pins shipped here locally and then sent on to Aus is welcome to hop in. It should bring the costs down for everyone, which leaves more money for Pins :D

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So is it a thing that people that aren't going to a pax can asked a trusted member here (or at least a member you decide to trust) to grab them a set of expo exclusive pins (sending the money to buy them of course), or is that verboten?

I'd rather get them for $30 now than $150 on ebay later.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • Options
    It more or less started before Prime last year. Members of the community formed groups of 3. One attending each PAX (East, Prime and Aus) Each member is tasked with collecting pins from the pax show they are attending for the other two members that wont be attending your pax, and they will do the same. That way all 3 of you will get pins from all 3 shows. Youre going to need to find or form a group if you want to take part in what we have called the 'Pin Pal Program'

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    I hope thats clear, its getting late for me and im starting to fall asleep on my desk...

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Pretty much. Is there an exchange of money, or are you just expected to be paid back in pins?

• Options
    I guess that depends on your group. Generally though its trading pins for pins. Possibly pay for shipping if need be.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Sony: Give them to everyone to feel good
    Wizards: Give them to everyone to feel good
    Hidden Path: Ruin lives

I know that most people didn't like the Hidden Path booth...but honestly they are the ones who got me to decide to actually start collecting pins on Sunday afternoon.

My friend and I both love TD's and so we probably played the Hidden Path demo 20-25 times against each other over the course of Prime. During that time, though I wasn't even collecting them, I was able to get probably 16-20 Jugg pins. So while some people complain about having to play the demo to spin the win and hopefully get a pin there are many other things to it.

1. If anyone would have ask me to trade my Jugg pin for something else, I would have. I had no interest in the pin till Sunday, just enjoyed playing.
    2. The longest I ever had to wait in the line was 10 min, and it takes 5 minutes for the demo. I stood in another like for 2 hours to play a demo...so this is actually quite minor to me, and doesn't take a lot of time.

Next time if you don't want to play tons of times, just camp the exit to the booth. I have a feeling that a ton of the people that went to the Hidden Path booth were like me and were playing for the game, and the joy of it, and not for the pin.

**Disclaimer...the game that you got the Jin pin from was a dud...so I can see the 'ugh, not again' aspect there. And TD's may not be your thing. Just don't like that everyone bashes on Hidden Path just because they did spinning wheel for playing a 5 minute demo. :/

00Fayt00 on
  • Options
    Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Pretty much. Is there an exchange of money, or are you just expected to be paid back in pins?

There will be no money exchanged for shipping or PAX pins in my group. Some pin sets you pay $30 some pins like Troll Fart you pay $10 for. We are not trading to one up each other. We all want complete sets. I assume some of the pins I mail out will be "valuable" but that's what you do when you are in a group. I think the biggest hurtle each group will have is what happens when a member is not very successful. I will try as hard as I can but if I send you 10 pins from my PAX are you expected to send me 15 pins from your PAX? I don't know. I expect to be out of pocket about $40 or $50 when it's all said, and done. That's still 100% cheaper than ebay but with ebay you don't make friends.

Jake Capps on
    X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I think I play a total of 50 times to get pins. I ended up giving some out to people.
    I think the hardest pin to get at Pax was the ncsoft, Magic and second son. The lines where crazy.
    Also finding strip search people that were willing to trade.

darkinfero on
    My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I probably should've played both games at the Hidden Path demo. It sounds like the one I didn't play was fun. I hated that Mincraft-but-with-magic clone and I was tired of playing it by the second time through. But I wound up playing it at least 7 times before they just straight up gave me a pin.

I still need an East partner. There are gonna be so many pins that I'm not really looking for someone to go and get me them all. I just want to get the core East 14 set.

I am curious what the general plan of attack is for those of you with partners. Some of the lines for Prime pins were ridiculous to go through once (the inFamous demo being the one that comes to mind), let alone twice. And I don't even know how I'd go about collecting random-drop ones like the Behemoth set without sinking a ton of money.

EDIT: @darkinferno I'm surprised to see that someone had trouble with the ncsoft pins. Maybe it's because I hit them first thing Friday morning, but I traded two of my Lookout pins for both of theirs without issue. Had them within ten minutes of the show.

Vaanrose on
    Twitter: @vaanrose

My PINS

Verbosity is my charm point.
  • Options
    cabbie98cabbie98 Registered User regular
    The most annoying thing about NC Soft was that the guys trading the pins were also announcing the game demo and they were definitely more focused on that. So you had to wait until they were done entertaining the crowds who were there just for the game.

WiiU: cabbie98
    3DS FC: 4382-1976-1645
    Pin Pals Digital Lanyard
  • Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    With East just around the corner, I think we're reaching the point where a lot more people are going to have their collections broken.

Just picking up a set of everything that was available at Prime (35 pins! Prime 2013 set, plus 12 staff pins, plus 19 third party pins) was tough. Trying to do that for yourself and two others is going to be a herculean task, not to mention a pretty brutal impact on your budget. With that in mind, let's theorize for a moment...

It has been said that we should expect similar numbers from East and Aus from here on out, but it's entirely possible (hopeful?!) that we'll see duplicates at each show. I believe it's already been confirmed that there isn't a new Staff set, so that already eliminates 12 pins to track down. Additionally, The Behemoth set was huge on it's own, with eight pins, this seems like the kind of thing we might see repeated at each event, in which case we'd be down by another eight pins. Three sets of fifteen pins seems much more doable, especially when you consider that four of the fifteen will be the standard, easily obtainable, PAX set.

On a related note... a few people have mentioned that they're hoping to see the missing ninth pin return to the Behemoth set. Given how many East and Aus pin collectors have already gone out of their way to pick up this set through other channels, if that last pin is added, it's going to trade like diamonds.

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    Yeah, them reusing older pins like the staff set or other 3rd party pins will make it alot easier for those who have been here since the very start.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    vid wrote: »
    With East just around the corner, I think we're reaching the point where a lot more people are going to have their collections broken.

Just picking up a set of everything that was available at Prime (35 pins! Prime 2013 set, plus 12 staff pins, plus 19 third party pins) was tough. Trying to do that for yourself and two others is going to be a herculean task, not to mention a pretty brutal impact on your budget. With that in mind, let's theorize for a moment...

It has been said that we should expect similar numbers from East and Aus from here on out, but it's entirely possible (hopeful?!) that we'll see duplicates at each show. I believe it's already been confirmed that there isn't a new Staff set, so that already eliminates 12 pins to track down. Additionally, The Behemoth set was huge on it's own, with eight pins, this seems like the kind of thing we might see repeated at each event, in which case we'd be down by another eight pins. Three sets of fifteen pins seems much more doable, especially when you consider that four of the fifteen will be the standard, easily obtainable, PAX set.

On a related note... a few people have mentioned that they're hoping to see the missing ninth pin return to the Behemoth set. Given how many East and Aus pin collectors have already gone out of their way to pick up this set through other channels, if that last pin is added, it's going to trade like diamonds.

Well I actually did that at Prime, and it wasn't nearly as bad as you make out. I still went to plenty of panels, played a bunch of games and had a great time. Being organised helps. But the Behemoth Pins were very quick to collect. Cranking 30 or so of the capsules out the machine took just a couple of minutes, getting them out of the capsules another minute or so, trading for the few you didn't get naturally maybe 5 minutes, and you meet people!

Staff Pins will hopefully be made easier by them having a trading time slot as they did at Benaroya Hall. My tip would be to stalk Jerry first, since he is a Ninja.

Sets from the Merch booth? Get there early and hope the line isn't long. I think that was probably the longest thing I queued for that wasn't a panel.

Really, getting the extra sets for your Pin Pals is no more work than getting your own. The one issue you might have is the "Trade 2 per person" limit. I'm going to talk to Mike again about it before East and see if we can't get it raised to 3 for Pin Pal groups. Most people were understanding once I explained it.

• Options
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    vid wrote: »

Well I actually did that at Prime, and it wasn't nearly as bad as you make out. I still went to plenty of panels, played a bunch of games and had a great time. Being organised helps. But the Behemoth Pins were very quick to collect. Cranking 30 or so of the capsules out the machine took just a couple of minutes, getting them out of the capsules another minute or so, trading for the few you didn't get naturally maybe 5 minutes, and you meet people!

Staff Pins will hopefully be made easier by them having a trading time slot as they did at Benaroya Hall. My tip would be to stalk Jerry first, since he is a Ninja.

Sets from the Merch booth? Get there early and hope the line isn't long. I think that was probably the longest thing I queued for that wasn't a panel.

Really, getting the extra sets for your Pin Pals is no more work than getting your own. The one issue you might have is the "Trade 2 per person" limit. I'm going to talk to Mike again about it before East and see if we can't get it raised to 3 for Pin Pal groups. Most people were understanding once I explained it.
    I hope they raise the limit. It will make it easier for pin pals. I plan to attack the merch first to get the east pins. Then I will go to each booth and get everything for my pin pals. Since I plan on going to East, Prime and Aus it won't be to bad for me.

My Pin collection
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    It more or less started before Prime last year. Members of the community formed groups of 3.

So what would I have to do to get in on one of these for East? Ask in this thread?

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • Options
    Not much of an "official" way to do it. Ask in either this or maybe the trading thread. Or even try the facebook group Pinny Pals

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Hey guys whose pin do I have to suck to get my group on?

Or: Hey is anyone up for a group with an Australian? There's only like 5 of us so those are good odds!

• Options

huehuehue

Also, back when we originally formed groups, Manic2k set up a list of members from each pax. Send him a pm

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular

Or: Hey is anyone up for a group with an Australian? There's only like 5 of us so those are good odds!

I have first dibs on the next east pal that pops up, I've been trying to get one for ages now! :P

Also don't bother asking on the FB page, it was my first port of call before I was on the forums and still haven't had a reply.

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • Options
    Well, it is facebook.

FACEBOOK SLAM!

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm convinced the Prime guy in my group either died or doesn't give a shit anymore... I wouldn't mind a replacement.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I personally hope that Behemoth brings out a new set of pins(and just puts them with the old pins). If they added 4-5 new pins, and also brought Little guy(the name of the 9th pin I believe) ALONG with whatever they had left over from Prime that would make it so new collectors could have a chance to get the full Behemoth set themselves, but would also give the year 1 collectors something to collect.

I know that some people are worried about the number of pins to collect, but I really don't see it as a huge issue personally, though I don't go to a ton of panels.

Though I'm probably in the minority, I'm hoping for 25 or so pins to collect at least, just because I don't want it to be super easy to keep my collection complete. I want to work for it. :)

Also, just an added note, after East I'll probable be up to trade some of my East spares I get this year for 2012/2013 pins. So if that is something you'd want to do, keep me in mind and let me know. :)

00Fayt00 on
  • Options
    Midas244Midas244 Registered User regular
    Well this is interesting... someone's putting up a DLC pin, current bidding is at $100

• Options
    Midas244 wrote: »
    Well this is interesting... someone's putting up a DLC pin, current bidding is at $100

Oh my...

Hmm. I second your thought on interesting. For the first time one is up for regular auction. Time to go watch that auction. haha

• Options
    Yeah I'm totally watching the shit out of that auction!

• Options
    I want it. Let the bidding wars begin.

My Pin collection
  • Options
    brettness37brettness37 Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular

A rare Chandra with a $0.99 starting bid too. That one is in my watch list.

• Options
    CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    Valentine's Pin arrived today! That was super quick. It looks like they're switching to gold foil for the crown and "Limited Edition" print on the back as opposed to just yellow, and I have to say, it's very classy.

Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
  • Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    I got in my 2 Valentine's pins today. They look really nice, I like them. Very fast shipping too.

• Options
    darkinfero wrote: »

And now it's on $305.

HXZWgtc.gif

• Options
    grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular

darkinfero wrote: »

And now it's on $305.

HXZWgtc.gif

Oh man, if you're screaming at $305 your lungs are gonna be really sore when you see where it goes :D

They sell in the 4-digits :)

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    http://i.imgur.com/IKeGWOE.gif

mod edit: un-embedded oversized gif

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Ah....times like this make me so glad I bought mine during the podcast kickstarter. I was so close to not paying for it. At the time pinny arcade had basically just started, and $150 seemed insane (even though you get a bunch of other stuff too, but lets face it, it was all for the pin)

Times like this make me glad that I took the plunge :)

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Got my Valentine's pin today. Still not a huge fan of it, but I do think it looks pretty nice in person. Nicely done.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'll be ordering my Valentines pin whenever the Combo Breaker/Sabrewolf go up... yay multiple new pins at once!

This discussion has been closed.