As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:ARR] Ghosts and Coblyns coming next week!

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    Man, I can see what that crazy guy on the official forums was talking about with Cat girls having absolutely 0 ass. It's kind of disgusting and make me sick, way to go square.

To each their own. Some people like small butts. Someone made a song about it.

dispatch.o wrote: »
    Well I had my first real run in with complete fuckturds. Essentially whined and talked shit about me after the first pull when they refused to sleep. Lot's of "OMG learn your fucking job before you do dungeons!". "See that button labeled overpower, press it!". It must be nice to play DPS and not actually feel like wasting the effort of using what little you have in the way of utility in favor of sweet big numbers.

If you decide to unload after I pull with tomahawk and have yet to even actually hit anything in melee, your problem not mine.

It was basically like being stuck with complete assholes in a game of dota. First time I've just left a party mid dungeon.

And sadly, won't be the last. But this is why you have guilds, so you can supplement your shit runs with PUGs with people who have a clue.

• DulonDulon Registered User regular
    I guess a lot of DPS players just have the mindset that only high damage numbers count. But if it's true that threat management is a thing in groups here, that changes everything.

As long as the tank keeps the enemies away from the healer, the DPS have to work within that framework.
    Things might still go wrong, but then it falls to the group to examine what went wrong. And since it's a group effort, it's likely everyone played their part in a wipe.

I actually enjoy that process. Maybe my usual playstyle clashes with that of some of these other random players? Then someone has to adapt. That doesn't have to mean someone is doing it wrong or doesn't know how to play. It just means that everyone has to improve their coordination. And it might give me the chance to learn a new approach to a situation.

Maybe you actually have a player in your group who isn't very skilled. But as long as that player doesn't have a bad attitude, the group should encourage him and help him improve while trying to cover his weakness. The option to replace a player should only be considered as a last resort when all else fails.

I actually wanted to write a "If the tank dies it's the healer's fault, if the healer dies it's the tank's fault, if a dps dies it's his own fault" post but i got carried away.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    As a DPS who died in Copperbell last night, I can honestly say it was totally my fault. I didn't get out of the bomb blast radius and got killed. I thought I was out in time, but I wasn't. I have no one to blame but myself and that bomb.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Dulon wrote: »
    I guess a lot of DPS players just have the mindset that only high damage numbers count. But if it's true that threat management is a thing in groups here, that changes everything.

As long as the tank keeps the enemies away from the healer, the DPS have to work within that framework.
    Things might still go wrong, but then it falls to the group to examine what went wrong. And since it's a group effort, it's likely everyone played their part in a wipe.

I actually enjoy that process. Maybe my usual playstyle clashes with that of some of these other random players? Then someone has to adapt. That doesn't have to mean someone is doing it wrong or doesn't know how to play. It just means that everyone has to improve their coordination. And it might give me the chance to learn a new approach to a situation.

Maybe you actually have a player in your group who isn't very skilled. But as long as that player doesn't have a bad attitude, the group should encourage him and help him improve while trying to cover his weakness. The option to replace a player should only be considered as a last resort when all else fails.

I actually wanted to write a "If the tank dies it's the healer's fault, if the healer dies it's the tank's fault, if a dps dies it's his own fault" post but i got carried away.

So far the only real threat management I've ran into is on HM Titan when various WHM's said they don't use "shroud of saints" until they are almost OOM. Which is fucking moronic considering the ability is going to come off cooldown 5-6 times during that fight. And I still hold threat, it just gets very close when compared to the entire rest of the game thus far. Shroud of saints every few minutes on one of the highest healing fights in the game isn't much to ask really.

Also DPS hitting the non-marked target and me not noticing might pull aggro. Depends really. If I notice they are doing it then I'll just split my combo and they wont pull aggro.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Also DPS hitting the non-marked target and me not noticing might pull aggro. Depends really. If I notice they are doing it then I'll just split my combo and they wont pull aggro.

I've done this before, but its mostly a case of either the unmarked target is right next to the marked target and looks like its marked or an unmarked target walks onto the corpse of a marked target and appears to be marked. I correct my mistake as soon as I notice.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    @Badwrong

Your picture on the guild website of where to stand on the last fight in Amdapor for tanking is great, I used it last night and it was very helpful, thanks!

The only problem you can run into with that positioning is if the add spawns behind the boss and the boss decides to tail swipe at the same time. The DPS can get caught in the blast pretty easily. I don't think that problem is really avoidable no matter where you position the boss though, so the DPS just need to be aware that something like that can happen and play around it.

What I'm trying to say is that picture and explanation you gave was awesome :P

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    That empty desk is sitting there, taunting me.

iRgxcuv7gM2r5.jpg

Aaaarrrgh

Do we have any time frame on when that goes live?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited September 2013
    @Badwrong

Your picture on the guild website of where to stand on the last fight in Amdapor for tanking is great, I used it last night and it was very helpful, thanks!

The only problem you can run into with that positioning is if the add spawns behind the boss and the boss decides to tail swipe at the same time. The DPS can get caught in the blast pretty easily. I don't think that problem is really avoidable no matter where you position the boss though, so the DPS just need to be aware that something like that can happen and play around it.

What I'm trying to say is that picture and explanation you gave was awesome :P

Cool. Glad it helps.

That shot is actually pretty close to the pillar. I suggest moving him back a few feet, it gives people a lot more room by moving the bad breath location forward. Like, almost go until you have your back to the wall there, but just stay diagonal with the pillar and center of the room. The lines from the bricks on the floor can be used to reference the angle with no issues... but not on the line itself, in the middle of the actual brick there. I might take another shot just showing before I pull the boss the exact brick you stand on. Reason being it also improves line of sight issues that can happen when the boss is right next to the pillar.

Other trick I have down in AK now is just double tanking/stunning the bees on demon wall. I dunno if warrior have it, but I go knockback immune and prep a enmity combo while he casts the repel before bees spawn. That gives a lot of extra time to grab a lot of threat on them and get them really close together. Had double BRD dps in a group yesterday and did that since we didn't have a DPS limit and just burned the boss. Goes real smooth once you lock in some aggro and then just focus on stunning/silencing them.... again not sure if warrior can do that as frequently, however your higher DPS would just take them down anyway.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    When I run Amdapor I just tank the bees on the left side right next to the wall, DPS ignores them and just burns down the boss. 100% easy mode. I just shield lob the right one, then flash flash flash, go back to wall DPS.

stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Dang, so UI/control settings aren't saved server side. Anyone know what file(s) might contain these things so I can copy it to my laptop so I don't have to reset up my whole display?

I *just* reinstalled Windows on Saturday so I had to do this

It's under: User/Name/My Documents/My Games/FFXIV

There should be a folder in there with a gibberishy name that will have keybinds/macros/gear sets/UI setting files. For me, the folder name had changed in the new Windows, so I had to copy/paste to the new one.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    When I run Amdapor I just tank the bees on the left side right next to the wall, DPS ignores them and just burns down the boss. 100% easy mode. I just shield lob the right one, then flash flash flash, go back to wall DPS.

I do it both way since some DPS just cant seem to deal with staying on one side. Or some dont drop him quick enough and it becomes very crowded... even though I interrupt the aoe paralyze.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular

I do it both way since some DPS just cant seem to deal with staying on one side. Or some dont drop him quick enough and it becomes very crowded... even though I interrupt the aoe paralyze.

I only run the dungeon with DPS I know (Treave/Destella/Gross) and i try to grab healers i Trust, got Ruby some decent upgrades yesterday in our 4 runs.

Also I picked up the Valor Chest (looks sexy)

stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    First expansion, which is supposedly going to land this year.

An expansion this year? I find that hard to believe, especially with them still working on the PS4 version.

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular

An expansion this year? I find that hard to believe, especially with them still working on the PS4 version.

Yeah, I'm kinda dubious. We'll see I guess.

Actually, the first expansion is not planned for this year. Their current plan is major updates every 2 to 3 months (So going from 2.0 to 2.1 around November/December, then 2.1 to 2.2 sometime in February-March), and then the first full fledged expansion sometime in the first two years.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Actually, the first expansion is not planned for this year. Their current plan is major updates every 2 to 3 months (So going from 2.0 to 2.1 around November/December, then 2.1 to 2.2 sometime in February-March), and then the first full fledged expansion sometime in the first two years.

That's a long time to wait for gunfighting/shooter/musketeer class. :(

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Yeah. :(

Edit: Going by this, the first new class or job may be released before the first expansion. Given how incredibly conspicuous their absence is (Limsa missing a third starting class, every third damn Limsa guard carrying a gun, the signs at the MRD guild), it could be MSK.

Suriko on

I only run the dungeon with DPS I know (Treave/Destella/Gross) and i try to grab healers i Trust, got Ruby some decent upgrades yesterday in our 4 runs.

I usually grab a group at RT if no one is on. So adapting to them is needed sometimes.

Very annoying that AF+1 pieces share the same models. I know they did in FFXI too though, so I guess its tradition.

Luckily Allagan armor sets share the same stats but have totally new models.

I'll still be picking up a few pieces of valor though so I can reach the 5500 HP mark. Need about 130 HP more. After that, I'm seriously thinking that getting CNJ high enough for stoneskin is going to be the biggest EHP increase from there. Throw that up between combos and what not.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    A Reminder about Account Security

Your Account being hacked is not fun. However it is very much preventable. In fact there is a free and easy way to make your account 99% secure!

IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY - ADD AN AUTHENTICATOR TO YOUR ACCOUNT TODAY!

There is a free smart phone app and if you follow the instructions on the mog-station you can add an authenticator to your account in less then 10 minutes.

This is not something you want to just sit around on. If you don't have a smartphone go ahead and purchase the token authenticator it is $10 and is more then worth it for the security it provides. Here is some more info: http://www.square-enix.com/na/account/otp/

I have had one in WoW since the day they came out and I have had one for FFXIV the day I could add it to my account. People are getting hacked, if you dont have an authenticator you can get your account stolen. No matter how many precautions you take the best one you can take is to add an authenticator.

______
    Why is is only 99% secure
    Two reasons:
    1. Man in the middle attacks which are extremely difficult to pull off - Are one of the few ways to get into an account with an authenticator.
    2. Someone can physically get a hold of your authenticator and log-in to your account. Now this is very unlikely but you know people will mention it.

Miniwolf on
    League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    Man, I can see what that crazy guy on the official forums was talking about with Cat girls having absolutely 0 ass. It's kind of disgusting and make me sick, way to go square.

I....

what the hell

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I usually grab a group at RT if no one is on. So adapting to them is needed sometimes.

Very annoying that AF+1 pieces share the same models. I know they did in FFXI too though, so I guess its tradition.

I'll still be picking up a few pieces of valor though so I can reach the 5500 HP mark. Need about 130 HP more. After that, I'm seriously thinking that getting CNJ high enough for stoneskin is going to be the biggest EHP increase from there. Throw that up between combos and what not.

Where do the AF+1 and Relic+1 come from?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Welp, most streams are now doing nothing but doing Ifrit or corpse-running Ampador. That's no fun to watch.

• rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    I suspect nothing will be done to address speedrunning until they add some gil fountains for endgame. A system that not only doesn't reward you for fighting 95% of the end game content, but instead actively punishes you is a real problem.

In the meantime, the other option I read about as a workaround is relying on crafted gear to do most of your stuff, and only putting on your best gear for the toughest endgame content. Or variations on unequiping part of your gear to minimize repair impact while grinding content.

Which are terrible and will end up killing this game for me in the long run if that's what we're left with. One of the biggest carrots in this kind of geme is getting and wearing and enjoying the fruits of having better and better gear. Punishing the player base for doing so....ugh

Well, lets hope they fix it.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Echo wrote: »
    Welp, most streams are now doing nothing but doing Ifrit or corpse-running Ampador. That's no fun to watch.

Tonight I will stream myself fishing and cooking just for you @Echo :D
    rpshoggoth wrote: »
    I suspect nothing will be done to address speedrunning until they add some gil fountains for endgame. A system that not only doesn't reward you for fighting 95% of the end game content, but instead actively punishes you is a real problem.

In the meantime, the other option I read about as a workaround is relying on crafted gear to do most of your stuff, and only putting on your best gear for the toughest endgame content. Or variations on unequiping part of your gear to minimize repair impact while grinding content.

Which are terrible and will end up killing this game for me in the long run if that's what we're left with. One of the biggest carrots in this kind of geme is getting and wearing and enjoying the fruits of having better and better gear. Punishing the player base for doing so....ugh

It's actually a pretty good idea to rely on crafted gear or gear that you can convert for most stuff. It's easily replaceable (relatively), cheaper to maintain, and you can build up materia stores.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I spent almost all my playtime last night picking cotton and making cotton yarn, 7 or 8 button presses at a time.

And I enjoyed it.

That's...fucked up.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

I saw a guy with the summoner Relic +1 last night and wondered the same thing.

On a related note, what's the best way to farm the TomeStones so I can buy Darklight and Valor gear? Do I just need to mass queue dungeons or is there a better way?

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Others have said it's not a big deal.

This is just a case of people blowing things out of proportion and people who would rather have less fun doing something if they felt it was more lucrative.

I never understand when people choose to do something like this and then complain about it. No one is making people do these things... If your dungeon running is costing you money then go make some money in between runs. Or be like Badwrong... he's done all the endgame stuff yet somehow this hasn't been a problem for him.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    As a DPS who died in Copperbell last night, I can honestly say it was totally my fault. I didn't get out of the bomb blast radius and got killed. I thought I was out in time, but I wasn't. I have no one to blame but myself and that bomb.

Sure was fun. Wish I'd hit that T2 limit break for the final boss though. :/

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png

Others have said it's not a big deal.

This is just a case of people blowing things out of proportion and people who would rather have less fun doing something if they felt it was more lucrative.

I never understand when people choose to do something like this and then complain about it. No one is making people do these things... If your dungeon running is costing you money then go make some money in between runs. Or be like Badwrong... he's done all the endgame stuff yet somehow this hasn't been a problem for him.

It should be noted that @badwrong is actually the head of a network of Lalafell smuggling operations. So the way he gets his gil may be considered 'immoral' to some and 'too cute to prosecute' for others.

Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2013
    @echo, were you able to get the game? I know you were looking for it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    Riokenn wrote: »

Sure was fun. Wish I'd hit that T2 limit break for the final boss though. :/

Indeed it was fun. Tonight I will begin working my way toward the next dungeon, and hopefully a bunch more sidequests. I'm saving all the level 15s that I'm finding right now for when I work on getting Marauder up to 15 so I can get Dragoon.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Corpse running amdapor? What the hell is that?

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I have a question about purchasing grand company gear. I was looking at the merchant for my Maelstrom stuff, and even though I didn't have enough seals I clicked these crafting pants he had, but I got an error message saying insufficient rank. However, this was on the page of stuff that is most definitely for my current rank. Some items on that screen said insufficient seals, but a bunch of them said insufficient rank. Am I missing something here?

Second, I have to say while I love the crafting in general and all the synergy it brings, and the potential for nice gear to fill in the gaps from dungeon gear and what not, I HATE that you have to spirit bond gear to break it down for materia. If they wanted to limit how common materia is, they should've made it so you can break down anything you want, but there's a chance to get materia or to get no materia. Making me equip gear i don't give a shit about and smack enemies or craft in it just so I can make materia is awful.

• MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    There are 4 ranks listed on each page. You needed more pips on your pin in all likely hood. Examine the icons closely.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1

AF+1 is also just called relic armor and is bought from the vendor in Revenants Toll for the myth tokens. Relic+1 weapon is an upgrade you can do to relic weapons using the mist that the same vendor sells for 300 tokens. I think it takes 5 mists or something?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    What's the deal with the Moonlight Faire? What do you do? What do you get?

• IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    The tank ends up grabbing initial threat on trash mobs, the entire party follows him to the boss. Tank dies, trash resets, rez tank, just do boss.

The reason for this is that dying has a pretty trivial penalty to durability (so repair costs) compared to clearing the trash, as well as just fast farming of tokens.

I can't speak to whether or not the repairs are too high at endgame as I'm not max level yet; I do know that after a rough pug of a dungeon my repair cost is 1500+ and I'm not 50. I guess some of the complaints are at least legit enough that repairs are being adjusted. (Google translate):
    For measures to participate in the content feel free
    Hi there
    We are aware that there may not currently be able to participate in content willingly in the development team.
    I will let you know in a range that can tell the future measures for that.
    Significant reduction in the price of dark matter and repair costs
    while focusing on high-level band, reduce significantly the price of dark matter and repair costs in general.

Add an item level to participation conditions, such as high-level dungeon
    that when you participate in such蛮神war and instance dungeon of high level for, it has the equipment that has the item level or above will be added as a condition .
    Implement a mechanism As a result, display the average value of the item level of equipment in the character window.

Adding a party recruitment window
    to introduce a mechanism, such as bulletin board that you can recruit party world that there is a limited myself. You can register roll you want to recruit and dungeon title you want, such as the level at the time of recruitment.
    (For detailed specifications, please wait for the public at a later date)
    After maintenance (Thursday), is scheduled to be implemented on the patch 2.1 and later for 2 and 3 September 12 for one.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    Javen wrote: »

So once you hit 50 clearing trash is meaningless - no trash drops gear and the wear and tear on your armor is often not worth the gain (in most cases). SO what people do is have the tank run in front of them with sprint and pull the mobs, then get to the boss room the tank runs one way and the DPS and healer the other way, The tank dies to the trash taking the 2% durability loss, then gets raised once the mobs run back to their spawn spots. In this way you don't have to clear trash and you can do quick runs of bosses for gear.

Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
This discussion has been closed.