As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:ARR] Ghosts and Coblyns coming next week!

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Miniwolf wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Corpse running amdapor? What the hell is that?

So once you hit 50 clearing trash is meaningless - no trash drops gear and the wear and tear on your armor is often not worth the gain (in most cases). SO what people do is have the tank run in front of them with sprint and pull the mobs, then get to the boss room the tank runs one way and the DPS and healer the other way, The tank dies to the trash taking the 2% durability loss, then gets raised once the mobs run back to their spawn spots. In this way you don't have to clear trash and you can do quick runs of bosses for gear.

Sounds kind of 'sploity to me...

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I have a question about purchasing grand company gear. I was looking at the merchant for my Maelstrom stuff, and even though I didn't have enough seals I clicked these crafting pants he had, but I got an error message saying insufficient rank. However, this was on the page of stuff that is most definitely for my current rank. Some items on that screen said insufficient seals, but a bunch of them said insufficient rank. Am I missing something here?

Second, I have to say while I love the crafting in general and all the synergy it brings, and the potential for nice gear to fill in the gaps from dungeon gear and what not, I HATE that you have to spirit bond gear to break it down for materia. If they wanted to limit how common materia is, they should've made it so you can break down anything you want, but there's a chance to get materia or to get no materia. Making me equip gear i don't give a shit about and smack enemies or craft in it just so I can make materia is awful.

Each tab along the top is the Major Rank but there are typically Ranks within each Rank (Sergeant Second Class, vs Sergeant First Class for example)

Next to each item in the list you'll notice a little icon to the right that has multiple pips on it, that shows you what rank you need to purchase that gear. Stuff near the top of the list is lower rank than stuff going down the list. If you open your character screen and click on the profile section (I think that's what It's called) you'll see a corrosponding symbol denoting your Rank. Just make sure your symbol matches the gear you are trying to get (or outrank it) and you'll be fine.

The game will only highlight stuff you have sufficient Seals and/or Rank to purchase though so if it's not highlighted you either need more seals or need to promote yourself.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I will admit trash is definitely my least favorite part of dungeons...

• RendRend Registered User regular
    Especially since gear degradation is horrifically fast, even if you never die :/

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    Especially since gear degradation is horrifically fast, even if you never die :/

Its actually way faster if you never die.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Saw someone with a bow that looked like it was made out of rock, called the crag-something. Must be a drop from hard mode Titan?

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

So once you hit 50 clearing trash is meaningless - no trash drops gear and the wear and tear on your armor is often not worth the gain (in most cases). SO what people do is have the tank run in front of them with sprint and pull the mobs, then get to the boss room the tank runs one way and the DPS and healer the other way, The tank dies to the trash taking the 2% durability loss, then gets raised once the mobs run back to their spawn spots. In this way you don't have to clear trash and you can do quick runs of bosses for gear.

If the way you have programmed your game means that it's more efficient to bypass all of the monsters in a dungeon than to kill them, then that means you have designed a bad game system. Don't blame the players for that; people (especially MMORPG players) will always try to maximize efficiency within a given system of rules. If the rules allow you to only kill the boss mobs in a dungeon and there is no incentive to kill trash, then the rules suck, not the players.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Its a gray area I suppose. Trash is most MMOs is dull, its just an artificial barrier to the boss. Very few trash pulls are fun. In honesty its just a response to the the difference in the way the current economy in FFXIV runs. Most people are used to running dungeons to make money, Not making money to run dungeons. There are ways to make money running dungeons, just not passively. Until they make trash worth killing (Gil drops, items drops, pet drops) people are going to by pass them. That or you can't have the mobs reset and force the players to actually deal with the trash.

Miniwolf on
    League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
    About dungeons and repairs and a few other things:

Here's the original japanese forum link

Here's the translation:

We are aware of the problems with regards to dungeons. The development team is now working on these matters, and will continue to keep you updated.

1) There will be a large decrease in the value of dark matter and repair costs. Dark matter will also now be available at high-level locations, in addition to this decrease.
    2) High level dungeons will now have an item level check as part of the entry criteria. This also applies to hard mode primal battles, and players who do not meet the ILevel criteria will not be able to participate. We will also be adding an average ILevel stat in the character window.
    3) A "Local World Only" option will be added to the dungeon finder. This is not a checkbox, but more of a bulletin board where parties looking for X Role of Y Level will be able to post their requests. Please hang on for more details.

Point 1 will be added after the 12th of September maintenance. Points 2 and 3 will only arrive after patch 2.1

From reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1m3yxy/repair_changes_and_other_fixes_and_stuff_coming/

edited September 2013
    Renzo wrote: »
    About dungeons and repairs and a few other things:

Here's the original japanese forum link

Here's the translation:

We are aware of the problems with regards to dungeons. The development team is now working on these matters, and will continue to keep you updated.

1) There will be a large decrease in the value of dark matter and repair costs. Dark matter will also now be available at high-level locations, in addition to this decrease.
    2) High level dungeons will now have an item level check as part of the entry criteria. This also applies to hard mode primal battles, and players who do not meet the ILevel criteria will not be able to participate. We will also be adding an average ILevel stat in the character window.
    3) A "Local World Only" option will be added to the dungeon finder. This is not a checkbox, but more of a bulletin board where parties looking for X Role of Y Level will be able to post their requests. Please hang on for more details.

Point 1 will be added after the 12th of September maintenance. Points 2 and 3 will only arrive after patch 2.1

From reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1m3yxy/repair_changes_and_other_fixes_and_stuff_coming/

This while nice and a welcome change, it will not fix speed runs :)

Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    /snip

Was there actually people going into those high level dungeons undergeared or is this going to be the start of "you need to do all of this just to get in or have only this certain eq to pass which you can then get in with sub-appropriate gear"?

I'm kinda on the fence about item level checks.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have a question about purchasing grand company gear. I was looking at the merchant for my Maelstrom stuff, and even though I didn't have enough seals I clicked these crafting pants he had, but I got an error message saying insufficient rank. However, this was on the page of stuff that is most definitely for my current rank. Some items on that screen said insufficient seals, but a bunch of them said insufficient rank. Am I missing something here?

Second, I have to say while I love the crafting in general and all the synergy it brings, and the potential for nice gear to fill in the gaps from dungeon gear and what not, I HATE that you have to spirit bond gear to break it down for materia. If they wanted to limit how common materia is, they should've made it so you can break down anything you want, but there's a chance to get materia or to get no materia. Making me equip gear i don't give a shit about and smack enemies or craft in it just so I can make materia is awful.

Making you put time into the gear you want to convert with the Spiritbod mechanic is about the only way to gate materia creation that doesn't overly benefit wealthy player characters.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited September 2013
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    /snip

Was there actually people going into those high level dungeons undergeared or is this going to be the start of "you need to do all of this just to get in or have only this certain eq to pass which you can then get in with sub-appropriate gear"?

Some of the high level dungeons/instances/primals have DPS checks on them. Demon Wall being one of them from my understanding.

Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Item level checks make sense for Duty Finder, where you are relying on the system to find compatible players, not for walking in on your own. They should implement the check only if you queue, otherwise you are limiting non-Duty Finder groups that might be looking for the added challenge or willing to bring in a slightly less geared friend to do so.

edited September 2013
    Its a gray area I suppose. Trash is most MMOs is dull, its just an artificial barrier to the boss. Very few trash pulls are fun. In honesty its just a response to the the difference in the way the current economy in FFXIV runs. Most people are used to running dungeons to make money, Not making money to run dungeons. There are ways to make money running dungeons, just not passively. Until they make trash worth killing (Gil drops, items drops, pet drops) people are going to by pass them. That or you can't have the mobs reset and force the players to actually deal with the trash.

I find it somewhat similar to how NIN tanking evolved in FFXI. They totally didn't intend for that to happen, but they didn't outright say its not allowed and then made changes to make not as overpowered.

Some people who consider it a full on exploit might want to consider where the line is drawn as well. Every MMO has skipable parts in dungeons, mob patrols that you can sneak past, etc. But no one is going to say thats an exploit. Of course skipping 100% of the trash is the extreme of this, but if the game mechanics allow it, then its hard to really say its a full on exploit.

Personally I just think its boring ass dungeon design. If the mobs are the ONLY thing between me and a boss, then I'm going to try and do as little of them as possible since they reward absolutely nothing. This game did not do every dungeon like that either, earlier ones I did had branching paths with extra loot or key items needed to progress etc. As long as the dungeons have no actual "thing" to do in them other than bosses, then I just find them to be pretty boring other than the bosses. The good thing is the bosses are tuned really well and are easily a step above most new MMOs. They have a real good ability to make things feel challenging yet doable without much RNG being to blame. SOA balls on SWTOR anyone??

Jakarrd wrote: »

There are many people who queue up for AK and still are just in AF's with items as low as 20. Its just not doable with the huge amount of undergearing some people queue with. Most of the blame is from the game though, since it leads people into AK before they even unlock wanderers.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The general consensus I've seen is that a lot of people are queueing for things when they basically do not have the gear to beat the DPS checks and are thus being carried or causing their groups to fail. Talking about people with level 30 jewelry queueing for level 50 difficult content. There is definitely nothing wrong with setting ilvl requirements for using the duty finder. The game is literally designed to where if you don't have a certain average ilvl, you won't be able to survive the content, so gating people out until they put in the work to get the proper gear is only a net positive.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I wish there was like...a smart phone app or something so I could craft and level DoH classes while not at my PC.

edited September 2013
    I wish there was like...a smart phone app or something so I could craft and level DoH classes while not at my PC.

Splashtop

I tested it on my surface pro... a bit of input lag, but not an issue at all for crafting/gathering.

Works on smartphones too, probably not so great with touch input on the smaller screen.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Undergeared people make the second boss in Amdapor Keep significantly more difficult. Knowing the fight mechanics is definitely important, but it is also important to have enough healing and DPS to finish the fight. Well geared DPS who know the fight well almost don't need a healer at all. Basically, if you're in AF gear and level 30 accessories, you should probably try for some upgrades from the market board, Grand Company vendor or Wanderer's Palace first.

steam_sig.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    That empty desk is sitting there, taunting me.

iRgxcuv7gM2r5.jpg

Aaaarrrgh

"What did I tell you? If you keep taking pistols away from new recruits, we won't have any Musketeers at all!"

/neverforget

I've seen some of the links posted earlier regarding Macros, but is there a comprehensive guide that lists a good amount of useful shortcuts? Aside from the blacklist macro for gil spammers, I'm not sure what else I could make that would be useful to me.

If there's a fishing macro for automatically reeling a catch once it bites, that would be real helpful. I sometimes lose my catch because I don't exit the chat window fast enough.

edited September 2013
    The general consensus I've seen is that a lot of people are queueing for things when they basically do not have the gear to beat the DPS checks and are thus being carried or causing their groups to fail. Talking about people with level 30 jewelry queueing for level 50 difficult content. There is definitely nothing wrong with setting ilvl requirements for using the duty finder. The game is literally designed to where if you don't have a certain average ilvl, you won't be able to survive the content, so gating people out until they put in the work to get the proper gear is only a net positive.

I think the big question will be, do they force the requirement on everyone, including pre-made groups, or just duty finder groups? The wording made it sound like it will be a dungeon requirement, not duty finder requirement.

am0n on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    If anyone wants to run Amdapor after work, I'll be around.

I will disappoint you guys so hard with my mediocre tanking skills. I'm also really good at getting repelled to my death on the second boss.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »

I think the big question will be, do they force the requirement on everyone, including pre-made groups, or just duty finder groups? The wording made it sound like it will be a dungeon requirement, not duty finder requirement.

I am really glad they are inputing the iLVL check. People attempting Garuda in AF gear/low jewelry is just crazy frustrating. Ive attempted Titan with people still in AF gear, how is that possible..why do they assume that they can beat that boss without at least a FEW Amdapor items.

I am pretty sure its going to be iLVL check for dungeon regardless if you are a premade group or not. I sort of hope not but we will see.

stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    If anyone wants to run Amdapor after work, I'll be around.

I will disappoint you guys so hard with my mediocre tanking skills. I'm also really good at getting repelled to my death on the second boss.

I'll join you! I got a BLM I need to gear but if you need me to combine my horrible healing skills with your terrible tanking skills, that's fine too!

• GrunjinGrunjin TexasRegistered User regular
    You did fine taking Spawn, and having Ark as lancer and me as monk on demon wall we still did fine on it, I'd run it again with ya (even when you get punted off bridge an we point and laugh) :D

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »

I am really glad they are inputing the iLVL check. People attempting Garuda in AF gear/low jewelry is just crazy frustrating. Ive attempted Titan with people still in AF gear, how is that possible..why do they assume that they can beat that boss without at least a FEW Amdapor items.

I am pretty sure its going to be iLVL check for dungeon regardless if you are a premade group or not. I sort of hope not but we will see.

Uhh, because end-game progression at this point is extremely unclear, and the game is pretty horrible at giving any insight?

You get the quest to run Wanderer's Palace, Amdapor Keep and HM Ifrit at the same time, without any inkling that one is intended to follow the other

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Is there a website that lists the DPS rotation for Lancer at certain levels? I know i'm poking enemies the wrong way...

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • MenasorMenasor Registered User regular

Why SHOULD people know? Why would I know if I didn't read a forum post about it? What in the game tells you that you are not ready other than dying at it? I'm not against the ilvl check as a way of telling people that they're not ready, but for right now its more of a game issue than a player issue. They just see a thing they can check in their duty finder and they know they already beat him in the story, so what's the big deal right?

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Exactly. You shouldn't need to use any sources of information outside the game to know what you're supposed to do inside the game. If the game itself doesn't explain anywhere the progression of endgame content it's a design failure by the devs. There's no reason to blame players for not knowing about endgame gear checks.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Is there a website that lists the DPS rotation for Lancer at certain levels? I know i'm poking enemies the wrong way...

I have not seen one, but at my level 21, I tend to go with:

Heavy Thrust -> Feint
    True Thrust -> Vorpal Thrust

Repeat until the Heavy Thrust damage boost drops, then repeat.

This seems to give the best damage output at this low level. The way the potency numbers work out is that two hits of Impulse Drive from behind are a total of 360, while the True to Vorpal Thrust gives you a potency of 350. If the target turns at all during Impulse Drive, however, it's potency over two attacks drops to 270 total. If that happens once on a mob or twice on a boss, just spamming Impulse Drive won't keep up.

Of course, I'd really need a DPS tracker to see whether this is accurate or not. It seems to me to be on mobs, but it can be hard to keep track of over the course of a fight.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • SaboSabo Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I am stuck on Cape Westwind & the rest of the main story at the moment. It's an 8 man main story quest at 50, but no one seems to want to do it. Anyone interested in doing it tonight?

Sabo on
    Riokenn wrote: »

Man I hope not. It might as well be a computer playing if there's a "right" way to do things.

For me I just make sure to use heavy thrust for the buff, get my dot on them, get my piercing damage debuff on them, then do my combos.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Sabo wrote: »
    I am stuck on Cape Westwind & the rest of the main story at the moment. It's an 8 man main story quest at 50, but no one seems to want to do it. Anyone interested in doing it tonight?

If I was 50, I would be all in. But alas, I am not. And I don't think I'll be able to go from 21 to 50 in one night.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    For most classes you can just run on a priority system and do well enough. Buff -> DoT/Debuff (if target lives long enough) -> Highest potency combo

Rotations come in when you're trying to maximize Buff/DoT uptime without interrupting melee combos.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    For those of us NOT at the endgame...

I'm going to make my foray into Sastasha tonight if anyone is interested.

I'm a tank.

Man you guys already have me thinking about Tomestones and I'm barely level 35.

Eh I'm only level 42 myself. I'm not in a crazy rush to hit 50 really. I've started messing around with crafting classes and I'm still kind of torn on what I want some of my secondary jobs to be.

On one hand I like tanking and it's useful, but on the other hand something about bards and monks appeal to me a great deal.

edited September 2013
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    For those of us NOT at the endgame...

I'm going to make my foray into Sastasha tonight if anyone is interested.

I'm a tank.

If my character wasn't level 0, I'd totally join you. But she is.

Edit: But if I catch you, I'll run other dungeons with you. Probably going CNJ first.

am0n on
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I'm 46 and I already feel like I'm behind the curve hearing the guys and gals in Raidcall running stuff for Tombstones and running stuff for Darklight gear. I was so happy to get 4/5 AF gear last night, and hearing how it's looked down upon at 50 if I want to not be seen as a scrub is kind of a crappy feeling.

That said, I am looking forward to running hard modes and I do enjoy the gear progression part of mmo's because it's one the reasons I keeping playing them. However, I am not looking forward to what sounds like a dependency on grinding. You could say I'm feeling a bit conflicted, but I'm still having so much fun playing both the game and with all the GHOSTS.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I'm 46 and I already feel like I'm behind the curve hearing the guys and gals in Raidcall running stuff for Tombstones and running stuff for Darklight gear. I was so happy to get 4/5 AF gear last night, and hearing how it's looked down upon at 50 if I want to not be seen as a scrub is kind of a crappy feeling.

That said, I am looking forward to running hard modes and I do enjoy the gear progression part of mmo's because it's one the reasons I keeping playing them. However, I am not looking forward to what sounds like a dependency on grinding. You could say I'm feeling a bit conflicted, but I'm still having so much fun playing both the game and with all the GHOSTS.

Just remember... the game has been out for what... 2 weeks or something?

This discussion has been closed.