As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2014 Hotel Discussion Thread

• Options
    Bigman812Bigman812 Registered User regular
    Seaport and Westin are not available with double beds. Guess I'll be waiting for the on-peak thing. Gonna have to be Johnny on the spot when they come out...

Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker.
  • Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Yah I suspect doubles are being held in the block.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    VGVideoGalaxyVGVideoGalaxy Northern VirginiaRegistered User regular
    Does the seaport charge your card when you arrive or when you reserve your room online?

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    most hotels charge it when you get there they just like it on file to hold the room

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    None of the open reservations now are with the pax rate. If you want the pax rate, you need to wait for onpeak.

• Options
    PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Question: I like to make the most of my stay at Boston, and usually stay for 6 nights (Wed-Tues) is it possible to have all those days at the Westin via OnPeak, if I am quick enough that is? I know I did it for the Sheraton on there last year.

Thanks.

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I've booked every year besides '10 Wed before to Tues after and all days have been at the OnPeak rate.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    ScudMuffinScudMuffin MarylandRegistered User regular
    Westin is blocked out for 10-13. And even if it wasn't they quoted me $530/night O_o ... insanity. Similar to other close by locations. So much for beating the rush, I'll wait for the block deals and try my luck.

XBL: Scud FTW
    PSN: ScudMuffin
  • Options
    dell44223dell44223 Registered User regular
    So October is almost certain for Ticket and Hotel Sales?

• Options
    Nothing is certain.

• Options
    and the cake is a lie .... :shock:

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    Nice! I want to try to get the Westin again this year, but try to get in on the first wave this time. Last year I was F5ing like crazy untill some cancellation poped up and grabbed it. Either way I'm not worried, as I'm sure I will get it.

PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    Heads up: If any of you have AMEX accounts w/ personal concierge service, I was able to book the Westin through them, starting the Wednesday before and leaving the Monday after @ 214 a night

• Options
    AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    Not to drum up any unnecessary paranoia, but it has happened in previous years where some of those who made reservations outside of the official PAX block have had their rooms bumped by the hotel. Shady as it may be, hotels tend to overbook in anticipation of cancellations to maximize profit. I think places like the Westin and Seaport have an idea of what to expect around PAXtimes, but if you reserve outside of onPeak, you'll potentially be among those who get bumped first. YMMV

Since a few people have been posting that they're making reservations, I just thought I should give a fair warning - make sure to call the hotel at least once or twice leading up to the event to make sure your room is still there. That's probably a good general rule for everybody that attends, actually.

• Options
    I didn't hear of that happening last year, but it has happened once or twice at least. Not unheard of, but I wouldn't call it super common either.

• Options
    Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    This will be my first PAX East. Am I to understand that these room rates will go down, and there will be hotel packages? I have been checking their sites, and these rooms are going for double than what they are on the spreadsheet. Thank you.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Jake Capps wrote: »
    This will be my first PAX East. Am I to understand that these room rates will go down, and there will be hotel packages? I have been checking their sites, and these rooms are going for double than what they are on the spreadsheet. Thank you.
    PAX has its own website and rates which will go live eventually. You'd be booking through a 3rd party (OnPeak).

Hotels go quick the closer you get to the con location, so some people feel the need to try and reserve SOMETHING so that they have a room at their preferred hotel. Then, if they book through PAX, they can cancel their other reservation.

cocowoushi on
  • Options
    EhefkaeEhefkae Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I'd seen in mentioned that hotels tend to put a hold on your card when you make a reservation. If I book with a Visa debit card, will it be tying up funds in my checking account until PAX?

Also, I'd noticed in the spreadsheet that the Seaport allows pets, and we'd like to bring our dog, but looking at their website, it says that pets can't be left unattended in the room. Does this mean that they can't be allowed to roam free outside of a crate or something, or do they honestly expect you to have someone in the hotel room at all times with the dog?

Ehefkae on
  • Options
    Ehefkae wrote: »
    I'd seen in mentioned that hotels tend to put a hold on your card when you make a reservation. If I book with a Visa debit card, will it be tying up funds in my checking account until PAX?

Also, I'd noticed in the spreadsheet that the Seaport allows pets, and we'd like to bring our dog, but looking at their website, it says that pets can't be left unattended in the room. Does this mean that they can't be allowed to roam free outside of a crate or something, or do they honestly expect you to have someone in the hotel room at all times with the dog?

I don't know of a single hotel that allows you to just let the animal stay unattended in the room. Not saying they don't exist, but it's pretty typical for the policy to be that the animals have to always be under supervision.

• Options
    HostileParadoxHostileParadox Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    The Seaport does seem very tempting with the free wi-fi and location next to the 7-11 & Dunkin Donuts.

I see on the spreadsheet that it says yes for fridge, but when I look at the Seaport rooms on the hotel site, I only see fridges in suites.
    Could someone that has stayed at the Seaport for PAX please comment on that?

HostileParadox on
  • Options
    Zap-RoboZap-Robo This Space Intentionally Left Blank Youngstown, OHRegistered User regular
    I see on the spreadsheet that it says yes for fridge, but when I look at the Seaport rooms on the hotel site, I only see fridges in suites.
    Could someone that has stayed at the Seaport for PAX please comment on that?

Was in a King Double this year and there was indeed a small fridge (of the expensive water/snacks variety) that me and the wife did store a little something in from time to time. I have no qualms about staying there again - well worth the pennies!

Andy "Zap-Robo" Barber
    Editor in Chief @ www.mmo-central.com
  • Options
    HostileParadoxHostileParadox Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Thanks. Going to try and book at the Seaport this year with some friends.
    The free wifi, bigger rooms, mini fridge, 7-11 (with beer), and Dunkin Donuts makes it sound like a way better hotel then the Westin.

HostileParadox on
  • Options
    the_fuzzy_penguinthe_fuzzy_penguin OhioRegistered User regular
    Thanks. Going to try and book at the Seaport this year with some friends.
    The free wifi, bigger rooms, mini fridge, 7-11 (with beer), and Dunkin Donuts makes it sound like a way better hotel then the Westin.
    How much bigger are the rooms? I checked the hotel sites briefly and didn't see anything (or in this thread). I've only stayed at the Westin once, but the room size more than comfortably fit 4 of us guys (although lucking into a corner room somehow probably helped with the size). That said, you can never have enough space, so maybe the Seaport is a better idea.

• Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Mmmm, I would like to know about the room sizes of the Seaport as well. And the free internet sounds very good compared to what you have to pay at the Westin.

• Options
    From everything I've heard, the Seaport really is a superior hotel to the Westin and the Renaissance, it just isn't attached to the BCEC. If not being attached is not a big deal to you, go for the Seaport.

• Options
    the_fuzzy_penguinthe_fuzzy_penguin OhioRegistered User regular
    Thanks zerzhul!

• Options
    Shhhhhhhhhh zerzhul ... you know they really want the Westin ... lol

• Options
    For once I'm not attempting to bait and switch, everyone I know that has stayed at the Seaport has really loved it and spoken incredibly highly of it. It just isn't attached to the BCEC. If being attached is important to you, pick the westin (if it's available). If not, the Seaport is the best hotel.

All of this is kind of ignoring the Renaissance though. The Ren is also very close and a nice hotel, it's just not as good as the Seaport and is also not attached. I think it also may be a tad more expensive than the westin or the seaport as well. It's *right there* though, just as close as the seaport, if you walk up the street and take the side entrance to the westin to get to pax.

• Options
    I know, I was just kidding around ... I am sure the different venues all have their good and bad ... I have Seaport booked as a placeholder for now until the OnPeak rooms are released. For me staying onsite at the Westin is not necessary as long as I am within walking distance of the BCEC.

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    how far of a walk from the venue is the seaport and the ren just wondering.

• Options
    Never been, but I did a google streetview of the Seaport walk, and it is no distance at all. If I had to guess it is probably about double the distance from the Westin to BCEC. Bet you could do the same for the Rennaissance.

• Options
    BinaryTBBinaryTB Registered User regular
    rascrush wrote: »
    how far of a walk from the venue is the seaport and the ren just wondering.
    ~5 minute stroll? If that much. Less of a walk. Ren is a minute farther away I think (more turns).

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    You could do a loop of all 3 local hotels and the convention center in about 20 minutes.

The other hotels are quite a bit farther, to the point where you will appreciate those hotel shuttles.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Seaport is a 5 minute walk to BCEC, if you stop to take pictures. Unless the weather is horrid, or you have a condition in which walking outside is difficult for you, then Seaport and Ren are as close as you can be without being attached.

One of the things I like most about Seaport, that hasn't already been mentioned here, is that it's a no-tip hotel. This is huge for me, and makes it win out over the others almost on that alone. But throw in everything else it gives you (pillow menu, free wifi, really friendly staff), and it's a no brainer for me.

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Also, with regards to the spreadsheet itself, I'm going to lock down the sheet, as I've noticed some fields have been changed. If you want to manipulate the sorting, just copy and paste the data into your own spreadsheet.

If you notice incorrect data, please let me know and I will update it.

• Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    So this is just a suggestion, but I'd like to put it out there. Last year, someone (@zerzhul ?) noticed that the hotel block was open for reservations before it was posted anywhere official (like the pax twitter account) and created the thread announcing it - practically the only way to get a room at the Westin last year was to be lucky enough to check the forum at the right time.

Might I suggest that someone create an alternate twitter account whose only job is to let forumites know when badges and/or hotel booking goes live? Those of us in the community could follow that account and set it for mobile alerts. It would have to be controlled by someone(s) who regularly check both the forums and the OnPeak site, but it would be a way that the core group here could stay up to date.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    I stayed at the Westin last year and loved being attatched to the BCEC, it was just so convienent. Might stay at the Seaport this time since everyone seem to say it's way better. Hopefully it's warmer in April then it is in March because last year it was freezing, and I'm from florida so I hate the cold. lol.

PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • Options
    To be clear about that, I only posted about it after it was live on the official pax website. I don't remember if I tweeted about it from http://twitter.com/paxcommunity or not.

• Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    zerzhul wrote: »
    To be clear about that, I only posted about it after it was live on the official pax website. I don't remember if I tweeted about it from http://twitter.com/paxcommunity or not.

Right, my point was only that OnPeak was open for registration, on the official paxsite.com, for at least an hour before Official_PAX tweeted about it.

The only way of knowing was to religiously check the registration page, religiously check this forum, or get a frantic text/IM/call from a friend. I'm not saying that us forumers deserve privileged information, and to be clear I do not want to game the system, but I don't have a problem with us banding together (we are a community) to sound the alarm when reg/hotels open.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I like that! But other than someone constantly monitoring all channels, is there any automatic way to do this?

This discussion has been closed.