Options

PAX East 2014 Hotel Discussion Thread

• Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    There are a couple of sites that will do this for you. www.changedetection.com/and www.watchthatpage.com/‎ are two that I found with a quick google search. I've never used them so I don't how quickly they notify you once a change is seen.

• Options
    OtokumaOtokuma Registered User regular
    I tried using changedetection, but it took them approx. 5 hours to let me know that a change had taken place. If rooms go as fast as last year, then it's pretty much useless.

• Options
    ervtronervtron PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    not sure if this is possible or not...but could we make a twitter for this forum and give everyone the username/login in hopes that someone will post on it as soon as it goes live?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    While you can certainly do what you like, having a publicly available twitter account screams an opportunity for abuse.

If you really want to know the second things go live, good luck ;) cause luck is the name of the game.

• Options
    El Rey HeladoEl Rey Helado Registered User new member
    Does anyone know if there are any nearby hotels that will allow a group of 18-year-olds to stay there? I know the Westin requires you to be 21 to reserve/check-in, I assume most hotels have the same policy.

We could always stay at the nearby Hostelling International, but we'd prefer to be in a hotel.

On the same topic, a member of our group is only 17, and I'm not sure if they are allowed to stay without their parent or guardian. I've emailed a few places about this (including the hostel) but no response.

Thanks

• Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Rather than a publicly accessible Twitter account, what about a unique hashtag that we all know to look for? Say, #PE14Live (PAX East 2014 is live)? That way you'd could set up an alert for that, and not have to have it mucked up with all the garbage you get when you search for #PAX. Honestly, it's not likely to be a huge advantage, but as people have said, every little edge helps, and takes some of the stress off of trying to reload every hour for weeks on end.

• Options
    GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Keep in mind while the other hotels are nearby, don't overlook the power of being connected to the convention center. The temp had a low of 34 degrees on March 27th last year (and had a low around 40 the rest of the con)

Actually, given a second thought, this may free up the westin so I can actually get a spot.. So yes, book at the other hotels.. all of you. ;)

• Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    From everything I've heard, the Seaport really is a superior hotel to the Westin and the Renaissance, it just isn't attached to the BCEC. If not being attached is not a big deal to you, go for the Seaport.
    . Definitely the Westin gorgeous but I felt like it they were nickel and diming us for everything. Seaport is much better they way

• Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    As an FYI, I have looked into changedetection.com, and it just isn't flexible enough for this kind of thing. You can't ask them to check at a given frequency, and when I used it a couple years ago they only appeared to check once per day, so if a change happened after that you wouldn't know for 24 hours. Also, they basically did a string compare of the site's source, so if ANYTHING changed -and IMG tag, a banner ad, whatever - you got the email.

If you really want to get fancy about this, set up a linux box to do a curl/wget as a cron job (please don't do it more than once every 5-10 minutes) and look for specific page elements to change.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    HostileParadoxHostileParadox Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    We could always stay at the nearby Hostelling International, but we'd prefer to be in a hotel.
    On the same topic, a member of our group is only 17, and I'm not sure if they are allowed to stay without their parent or guardian. I've emailed a few places about this (including the hostel) but no response.

Thanks
    Hostelling International does have private rooms, pretty much the same as a Hotel room, since the bathroom is inside the room. But the room guest limit is three, has double bed & twin bed.
    If your group is 4, you could just book an entire dorm to yourselves, but it costs a bit more then the private room. But I think the bathroom is outside the dorm room for those.
    Pretty sure you're good age wise with the hostel, since they even have free memberships for those under 18.
    But if you want a fast answer, just call them up, they're happy to answer questions. 1-888-464-4872

The types and prices of each membership:
    YOUTH - FREE (for those under 18 years of age)
    ADULT - $28.00 ANNUALLY (18-54 years of age)

HostileParadox on
  • Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Based on some of the responses about the Seaport on here, it is sounding more and more like a better choice than the Westin. I have always stayed at the Westin because of being able to shoot through the sky bridge, drop off stuff at the room, and come back. But now that I look back, it really does seem like they nickle and dime you for everything. I just have a few questions then. 1) How is the walk from there to the center and back? I know weather is a factor, but rule that out for now. 2) How are the amenities and the staff. I know what their web page says. I just want opinions from people who have stayed there. 3) How are the in hotel restaurants and bars?

I also like the fact that it's so close to the Dunkin Donuts and I have a major DD addiction. :)

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    Based on some of the responses about the Seaport on here, it is sounding more and more like a better choice than the Westin. I have always stayed at the Westin because of being able to shoot through the sky bridge, drop off stuff at the room, and come back. But now that I look back, it really does seem like they nickle and dime you for everything. I just have a few questions then. 1) How is the walk from there to the center and back? I know weather is a factor, but rule that out for now. 2) How are the amenities and the staff. I know what their web page says. I just want opinions from people who have stayed there. 3) How are the in hotel restaurants and bars?

I also like the fact that it's so close to the Dunkin Donuts and I have a major DD addiction. :)

Answer re distance to Seaport, round trip appears to be 10 minutes.
    Yeah, Seaport is a 5 minute walk to BCEC, if you stop to take pictures. Unless the weather is horrid, or you have a condition in which walking outside is difficult for you, then Seaport and Ren are as close as you can be without being attached.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    GreenizdabestGreenizdabest Southeast CT - USARegistered User regular
    1) How is the walk from there to the center and back? I know weather is a factor, but rule that out for now.

5 minutes to the BCEC or so. Maybe 7. It's short.
    2) How are the amenities and the staff. I know what their web page says. I just want opinions from people who have stayed there.

Staff was professional and friendly. Our room had a minifridge which we didn't use, bathrooms were clean and big enough, beds were comfortable. I will say that room service took forever the one time we used it, but I attributed that to it being at the same time as the Curse party downstairs so it was probably tying up their food services. Wifi was very solid throughout. Didn't really use much else as the hotel room was basically our base and we were at Pax from 10am to 2am each day.
    3) How are the in hotel restaurants and bars?

2.5 restaurants. One was a mid-to-upscale restaurant, prices actually looked okay (maybe a little higher than eating at a chain restaurant at dinnertime). Didn't eat there though. Next door was a smaller pub-style restaurant w/ bar, drinks were somewhat pricy but the barstaff were nice and actually worked with us (we taught them a new drink). The half a restaurant is a breakfast cafe that's open until probably noon or so - standard breakfast fare, but it was excellent (slightly more expensive than DD is).

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Don't forget to check the spreadsheet in the OP. There's a sheet for forumer comments, as well as having most of the basic questions answered from a "what is included?" perspective.

The comments weren't vetted, so you'll likely see conflicting stuff, but it should give you an overall sense.

• Options
    EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    1) How is the walk from there to the center and back? I know weather is a factor, but rule that out for now.

5 minutes to the BCEC or so. Maybe 7. It's short.

I can confirm this is correct. At a brisk pace, if you exit from the top entrance on to the skywalk, it will take your 3 to 4 mins tops. 5 mins at a gentle stroll. 7-10 minutes if your feet are really killing you at the end of the day.

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • Options
    TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    I'm going to be trying to get a Westin room this year for sheer convenience sake, but my Seaport room last year was great, the walk not bad at all, and the service received excellent. I requested a cot when I checked in for a friend who wasn't going to make it in to town until the next day and they asked if I wanted it immediately or the next day. I told them that day was fine, they dropped it off 10-15 minutes later, and ended up not charging me for it at all (not really sure if this was an oversight or something, but it was only going to be $25/night for the additional occupancy anyway).

I'd certainly stay there again in a heartbeat, but I'd like to experience the convenience of being attached to the BCEC since I did end up going back and forth from the hotel several times/day and was already on my feet 99% of the time so even the 5 minute walk wasn't something to look forward to by the end of the night.

JQ1qRPt.png
  • Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    Yeah I am torn as well.

I mean they are both 4 star hotels, so its not like you lose either way. I noticed that a lot of Exhibitors prefer the Westin, which makes a lot of sense to me. The WiFi at the Seaport is not only faster, but free! The walk isn't too bad anyway.

Though being connected is nice....

Decisions Decisions....

• Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I'll be thankful to get either the Westin or Seaport

This space for rent
  • Options
    ervtronervtron PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    pax site says "soon" now under badges...but how soon?!

• Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    ervtron wrote: »
    pax site says "soon" now under badges...but how soon?!

My blood pressure just increased!

This space for rent
  • Options
    mmpiemmpie Registered User regular
    grayfawkes wrote: »
    I stayed at the Westin last year and loved being attatched to the BCEC, it was just so convienent. Might stay at the Seaport this time since everyone seem to say it's way better. Hopefully it's warmer in April then it is in March because last year it was freezing, and I'm from florida so I hate the cold. lol.

Don't forget, there was still snow on the ground!! We stayed literally on the other side of Boston and thinking about the walk across the bridge with freezing temperatures still makes me shiver...
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    I'll be thankful to get either the Westin or Seaport

This is my thought exactly. If I don't have to take two subways and a bus and walk a lot to get to BCEC, I'll be happy :)

PAX East 2014. Let's go.

I mostly tweet about food
  • Options
    RicinRicin Registered User regular
    I had to split my stay between the Westin and the Seaport last year. I wish the Seaport and Westin would switch locations as the Seaport was much more concerned with customer service and the Westin staff looked at my group and were silently wishing we would leave.

The Westin's customer service was bad from top to bottom, I would recommend the Seaport to anyone and the Westin to only those who must have the convenience of the sky bridge.

• Options
    El Rey HeladoEl Rey Helado Registered User new member

Thanks
    Hostelling International does have private rooms, pretty much the same as a Hotel room, since the bathroom is inside the room. But the room guest limit is three, has double bed & twin bed.
    If your group is 4, you could just book an entire dorm to yourselves, but it costs a bit more then the private room. But I think the bathroom is outside the dorm room for those.
    Pretty sure you're good age wise with the hostel, since they even have free memberships for those under 18.
    But if you want a fast answer, just call them up, they're happy to answer questions. 1-888-464-4872

The types and prices of each membership:
    YOUTH - FREE (for those under 18 years of age)
    ADULT - $28.00 ANNUALLY (18-54 years of age)

In case anyone is in the same position as me, here's an update.

I got a response from Hostelling International, and they confirmed that anyone under 18 can not stay there without a parent/guardian, even if they're staying in a group with 18+ people.

Still no response though from the Seaport or any of the other hotels I've emailed regarding whether under 21s can reserve a room/check-in there.

• Options
    the_fuzzy_penguinthe_fuzzy_penguin OhioRegistered User regular
    If someone under 18 is going for sure, chances are that if they aren't standing right by you when you check in (and the person checking in is of age) then as long as you don't do anything stupid while at the hotel they won't know (or care) that someone under 18 is with you. Just have them head up to the room a few minutes after you check in. Not condoning breaking a hotel policy, but if you don't get a reply from other hotels about their policy you could try it and if they question you, you can always say that you inquired about it and received no reply.

• Options
    ViciousEin02ViciousEin02 NYRegistered User regular
    If you guys don't mind me asking what is your rates you are booking for 4 people at these places. I've already looked at the spreadsheet but I would like to know from actual people. I have stayed 4 miles away at the ramada, but this year I would like to be a little closer. I'm tired of having to deal with the trains and transit the hotel gives you bc they stop at 7 and that's way to early and $20 for a cab is just a pain to dish out every night.

Pax East 2015
    Assassins Ball 2015
    Pax East 2012 & 2013 Attendee

• Options
    I have Seaport booked as a backup (king bed only available at this time), as OnPeak rates should be less, but my reservation for 4 nights is something like $350 a night. However, I am paying the full shot as I am travelling with my daughter. The OnPeak I am expecting to fall somewhere handy $200-225 per night. If you have 4 people for same period then essentially you will pay the average per night rate each.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    The Westin will be $189/night for two people, plus $20 for each additional person up to 4.

• Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    FireWater wrote: »
    Yeah I am torn as well.

I mean they are both 4 star hotels, so its not like you lose either way. I noticed that a lot of Exhibitors prefer the Westin, which makes a lot of sense to me. The WiFi at the Seaport is not only faster, but free! The walk isn't too bad anyway.

Though being connected is nice....

Decisions Decisions....

The Seaport is a superior hotel in virtually every fashion, including the gym. It's just not attached to the Con center and therefore not the "nerve center."

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Here is the game plan. I have a King room for Thursday - Sunday at the Seaport. The room is booked for 4 people. I am the only one going, so 3 spots floor, couch, bathtub, or whatever you want to sleep as long as its not the bed are available. Based on price of room, I am thinking $ 70.00 a night per spot. I am 49 year old smoker (no smoking allowed in hotel) who crashes around midnight and gets up whenever I damn well feel like it. I have been to past 3 PAX Easts, so I know the drill. I usually attend company after parties (Turbine Party is my main one).

Rules are simple... NO DRUGS...NO BED...NO ACCESS TO SAFE.. NO GUESTS WITHOUT YOU IN ROOM .. OUT NO LATER THEN 10:00AM on Sunday. Any Violation of those 5 rules will be dealt with by hotel management. Other then that, come and go as you please. Drinking OK if you are of legal age and can handle it. No one under 21 unless you have a companion with you who is 21. .

I typically arrive in Boston around 5pm-6pm on Thursday. We will plan a meet up to distribute keys, usually I like to do it at Pre-PAX Dinner.

So it is $ 210.00 flat for per person for Thursday - Sunday. If price of room drops due to ONPEAK RATES, the price per spot will drop to 1/6th the price of the room after taxes. I not be asking for or accepting money until 2 months prior to PAX, but I will be taking a list. Anyone who has not paid 1 month prior will loose their spot, and I will offer them to next on list.

You can PM me on this forum to get contact details.

Dolarrah on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    We are going to have a room share thread in the near future for this purpose.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    I'm looking around at hotels right now just to get an idea of how much I'm going to be spending... It seems anything within walking distance to the Convention Center is going to be $200+ a night for a single bed. I found a nice room at $120 a night but it's 5.7 miles away and the taxi fare is going to be around $25.

I see that PAX has some deals with some hotels... Should I wait for that to happen?

• Options
    Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm looking around at hotels right now just to get an idea of how much I'm going to be spending... It seems anything within walking distance to the Convention Center is going to be $200+ a night for a single bed. I found a nice room at $120 a night but it's 5.7 miles away and the taxi fare is going to be around $25.

I see that PAX has some deals with some hotels... Should I wait for that to happen?

Yes, the deals through onpeak are much better than booking directly, at least from everything I've experienced and read from others.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    In my experience:
    Unless you want an emergency backup plan, don't bother booking anything until the OnPeak rooms are released. There's plenty of hotels to choose from in the OnPeak rates, and if you still can't get one, there's still the option of booking a normal rate room.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Thanks guys! I have to get out of the habit of booking early because I think it's cheaper to do it earlier.

• Options
    I have a backup reservation in place but it is fully cancellable so I will check out OnPeak to see if I can get the hotel I want and then cancel the other reservation. A reservation costs me nothing so why not do it?

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Just a word of warning about Google's walking distances. They are pretty accurate if you consider that you are well rested and not carrying anything - This is not entirely likely when attending PAX. Two years ago I learned it the hard way, cummulating 5 minutes on every way to or from my hotel room. A 25 minute walk on Saturday night at 2 am ended up being nearly 50 minutes.

Also a word on fridges - They often give priorities to people who have medical conditions, and still not everyone who needs them always gets to have one.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    Is the Seaport booked?

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
  • Options
    CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    The Seaports blocked off PAX since those reservations will go through onpeak, which will open up once registration opens up.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Options
    WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    Ah okay. I live on Cape Cod and have driven in every year for the past 4 years, but my group of friends want to book at the Seaport this year and I'm terribly nervous. Never booked for a con before.

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
  • Options
    I was able to book a room at Seaport as a backup but not at the Pax rates

This discussion has been closed.