Options

PAX East 2014 Hotel Discussion Thread

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    ya and the non pax rates are really expensive at least i thought when i checked them out

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    about $350 a night ...

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    Oh the PAX rates are actually better? Thought they jacked up the prices lol

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
  • Options
    the info on the thread seems to indicate that the PAX rates may fall somewhere around $225 range (though we will have to wait for the actual rates to come out) based on past experiences ... so there are savings to be had ... if sharing the cost drops even more. I am travelling with my daughter so I get to pick up the whole cost, lulz

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    no the pax rates are much better from what i have heard the seaport goes down to around 185-225 a night so up to 150.00 cheaper per night

• Options
    CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    I paid about 220 last year to split a 2 double at Seaport with another member, so the prices aren't too bad for what you get/where you get it. This info being purely being based on giving info from last year, and prices can change and what not.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Options
    the_fuzzy_penguinthe_fuzzy_penguin OhioRegistered User regular
    *Disclaimer* Take with a grain of salt since it was over the phone and not 'official'.

Contacted the Seaport last week about seeing how much their three-room suite was since at the time my group was going to need three rooms rather than just two. The gentleman was really nice and said they couldn't sell them yet as PAX bought up the rooms, but essentially what we'd have to do is purchase three rooms via OnPeak and then call the Seaport to have them change it into a suite (so it's actually just 3 adjoining rooms). He said that with tax, the cost would be $785/night including a $50/night 'suite upgrade fee' if we told them we had two people per room (and suggested that we only say that when we book as the price would go up otherwise).

Breaking that out, that's $261.67/night per room with the fee, or $211.67 without the fee. Obviously he didn't give me those last two prices, but breaking apart what I was told, I figured I'd share it to know about what to expect. Having said that, it sounds as though it's just about what it was last year.

Please don't hate me if these prices are wrong, I haven't posted them until now because I've been debating whether or not I should 'publicize' potentially incorrect prices. This is just what I was told.

• Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    I don't think things scale like that for hotels. That is, I think one, two-room suite costs more than two single-room rooms added together.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    That's also assuming that there will be suites available by the time onpeak transfers the reservations over to the seaport, which happens about 2 weeks prior to the con. It could be that pax holds the suites for their own folks, or for vips, or whatever.

• Options
    WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    Good god this all sounds confusing. No idea what any of this means.

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
  • Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Wolfiee wrote: »
    Good god this all sounds confusing. No idea what any of this means.

tl; dr version: hotels coming soon(tm). tix about the same time. stay tuned.

• Options
    the_fuzzy_penguinthe_fuzzy_penguin OhioRegistered User regular
    Schmulki wrote: »
    I don't think things scale like that for hotels. That is, I think one, two-room suite costs more than two single-room rooms added together.
    He told me that's what we would have to do, purchase three rooms and then pay the $50/night fee. I got the feeling they have adjoining rooms that they change around based on what people want to get (since he said there could be a King room, a Double/Double room, and a Parlor room, or we could get a King room, Double/Double, and another Double/Double (and put a rollaway in the King room). The suite I had contacted about was actually one you can't book online, you have to call to book it (some of the others show they are still available to book for PAX dates directly through the Seaport site right now), and that's one of the reasons I have the feeling it's just adjoining rooms they move around to suit the needs of their customers. It's always a three room suite, you can just change what you want in it based on the number of people you have.

• Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    I will confirm that upon request last year I had my two rooms at the seaport conjoined at request, at no extra charge.

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Presently, I have a room at the Seaport reserved for 4 nights (5 Days) for $1300 including tax. So, $325/night including taxes/fees.

I am hoping to get a better deal on OnPeak, but I work retail, and the likelihood I'm near a computer when hotel reservations drop is unlikely.

Also, reservations are still available on their site. No double rooms left, unless you want to get a harbor view executive suite, which for 4 nights is about $2400 including tax. What an experience that would be, though. Maybe someone here on the forums would want to split one once the roomshare thread launches >.>

PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    I was able to reserve an executive suite at the Seaport for all four days of PAX, back in September as there were no rooms at all available in the Westin, and the Seaport suite I reserved has both a king bed plus the sofa bed. However I checked more recently and they only had the more expensive Harborview suites left. But it might still be possible to pickup a room or suite at the Seaport as a backup if you are concerned about getting a room there or have medical needs for a close location, fridge etc.

I plan on bringing a mobility impaired PAX attendee with me and it was important for us to get a nearby location as a backup, just in case I am not available to reserve rooms when hotels open up in the future. If we do end up using the fallback room though it will probably be about twice as much as it would be to get a double bedded room at the PAX rate, and if it was just me I'd have been happy to walk a mile to cut the cost in half (compared to the 10+ miles I'll walk inside the con, right?). I'm a little concerned over what somebody said was bumping from the room due to Onpeak years ago, but I figure that is less likely with a suite as I don't think Onpeak lets you reserve suites, or does it? So I am not stressed over getting some type of room in walking distance now for my guests as I have one reserved already. I just have to stress over getting our set of four tickets. LOL!

• Options
    JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular

I've stayed at both Westin and Seaport. I would agree that Seaport is a nicer place. And my friends that visited my room at Seaport were like 'holy cow this is nice'. I don't know about the Renaissance yet. I'm possibly booking at Renaissance this year as a friend is going and is a Marriott guy, but i really want to stay at Seaport again.

You can get multiple discounts at most hotels, but i'm specifically speaking about Seaport right now. If you are a AAA member and then also if you're willing to pay in advance. Paying in advance is risky as you can't cancel and get money back, but you save like $20 a night. But even with both discounts, it's still like $100 more per night than the OnPeak rate will be.

And yes, if you make a reservation with a hotel they will not charge you until you arrive at the hotel. Before you submit your reservation it will say "Amount due at check in" or something like that. And I think most hotels don't place any holds on your card. I'm sure it's on a property to property basis. But either way, the website will tell you before you actually submit your reservation.

Just to avoid the rush and stress, I book directly through hotels now. The hotels always seem to treat people a hair nicer when you book with them, instead of a 3rd party. Not that it really matters, but that is something.

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    JimmyWild wrote: »
    I've stayed at both Westin and Seaport. I would agree that Seaport is a nicer place. And my friends that visited my room at Seaport were like 'holy cow this is nice'. I don't know about the Renaissance yet. I'm possibly booking at Renaissance this year as a friend is going and is a Marriott guy, but i really want to stay at Seaport again.

You can get multiple discounts at most hotels, but i'm specifically speaking about Seaport right now. If you are a AAA member and then also if you're willing to pay in advance. Paying in advance is risky as you can't cancel and get money back, but you save like $20 a night. But even with both discounts, it's still like $100 more per night than the OnPeak rate will be.

And yes, if you make a reservation with a hotel they will not charge you until you arrive at the hotel. Before you submit your reservation it will say "Amount due at check in" or something like that. And I think most hotels don't place any holds on your card. I'm sure it's on a property to property basis. But either way, the website will tell you before you actually submit your reservation.

Just to avoid the rush and stress, I book directly through hotels now. The hotels always seem to treat people a hair nicer when you book with them, instead of a 3rd party. Not that it really matters, but that is something.

This.

Also, here is a wall of text about ways to save money when booking hotels for PAX.

TL;DR: There is always a way to save money on hotels, but the OnPeak deals tend to be solid anyway, bonus points if you get a shuttle service.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    do all hotels have the shuttle service

• Options
    I think it is only hotels which are further from the BCEC which have it,

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Assuming no change from last year, all of the PAX hotels besides the Westin, Seaport and Renaissance have shuttles, since those 3 are <5 minute walks.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    but you can still pick the shuttle up from the bcec and go to other places right like were the parties are being held so on so fourth. would they just drop you off at the bcec if you hotel is one of those 3. Or do they just go to the other hotels to drop off and no were else. Just asking cause wouldnt want to be at a party till 1 or 2 am only to find out I am stranded cause the shuttle does not drop back off at the bcec or my hotel.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    rascrush wrote: »
    but you can still pick the shuttle up from the bcec and go to other places right like were the parties are being held so on so fourth. would they just drop you off at the bcec if you hotel is one of those 3. Or do they just go to the other hotels to drop off and no were else. Just asking cause wouldnt want to be at a party till 1 or 2 am only to find out I am stranded cause the shuttle does not drop back off at the bcec or my hotel.

There's always cabs or a nice walk back! I'm not sure how late shuttles go for, but they'd only go to specific hotels, and they're less frequent as the night goes on as well.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    The shuttles have routes between the hotels and the BCEC. The specific sets of routes from last year are still up http://east.paxsite.com/hotels-and-travel

I wouldn't rely on them for any transportation to places that are not the hotels or the bcec. Note they do not drop off at the BCEC after 8pm.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    RicinRicin Registered User regular
    I am planing on using UBER if i am not at a close hotel. I have used them in the past and it has been excellent.

• Options
    Yeah, UBER is solid in most places. Just usually more expensive than a cab (or so I hear).

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    rascrush wrote: »

There's always cabs or a nice walk back! I'm not sure how late shuttles go for, but they'd only go to specific hotels, and they're less frequent as the night goes on as well.

True about cabs. They are 24/7 and the BCEC seems to always have a row of them available due to high demand. There may be times when you will be in line to grab one (read, closing time), but like most things at PAX that felt very well managed.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    I have to say with onpeak and everything else with PAX, getting a hotel was pretty easy. I was able to to get the seaport last year late through onpeak, I kept refreshing it, it showed up I booked it really fast, and then it was gone.

I guess they post back cancelations, because this was WAY after badges were practically sold out.

• Options
    k thanks that awnsered my question pretty good

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    The spreadsheet in the OP lists what hotels had shuttles, and also lists the shuttle schedule from last year. It also has all of the prices of the hotels last year, so you can use that as a gauge for this year.

I'm glad to see so many people enjoying the Seaport, which has been my best-kept-secret of PAX the last 2 years. If you don't mind being a bit further away from the convention center, I stayed at the Colonnade Boston the 3 years ago, and really liked it.

• Options
    yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    Hey guys! I have few questions if you wouldn't mind sharing your PAX expertise ^^

I went last year for Saturday only, so I didn't have a hotel. This year, I plan on going for all 3 days. It will be just me and my boyfriend, so it doesn't really matter if we have 1 bed, or 2. I just care about being close to the convention... so I am thinking either Seaport or the Westin Waterfront (like everyone else haha). If things go sour, I would probably book at the Midtown (where I stay for Anime Boston, because at least I know the area even though its far away!).

So, what is this "OnPeak" ? I thought that when badges go live, I would just buy badges, and then wait around for hotel rates to go up at a later date. Does registration for badges AND hotel go up simultaneously? Can someone walk me through the process? I just want to be prepared... and possible increase my website stalking to more than twice a day haha.

Also, in your experience, how fast do the nearby hotels fill up? Minutes? Hours? I would think getting 1 bed would be easier to do. I am just scared I'll buy my badge, and then have no place to stay. After seeing how many people are at the con, I can't even imagine how everyone gets a hotel in the city within a few miles.

One more thing.... do the Westin and Seaport allow for bag check and is there a fee? Since I would be arriving early Friday morning, Im sure room check in wouldn't be until the afternoon, and I have cosplay stuff and suitcases that would need a home until then.

• Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    yutani san wrote: »
    So, what is this "OnPeak" ? I thought that when badges go live, I would just buy badges, and then wait around for hotel rates to go up at a later date. Does registration for badges AND hotel go up simultaneously? Can someone walk me through the process? I just want to be prepared... and possible increase my website stalking to more than twice a day haha.

OnPeak is the hotel reservation system. It's where you go when you click the Hotel Reservation link from the PAX East site. You don't have to book through them, however the rates are cheaper, and they've blocked off most of the rooms at the nearby hotels anyway, so you're probably best off doing so. Registration and hotels have gone up on the same day for the last two years, though not necessarily the exact same time. Before that, hotels would often go up substantially before the badges (because neither one used to sell out back then).
    Also, in your experience, how fast do the nearby hotels fill up? Minutes? Hours? I would think getting 1 bed would be easier to do. I am just scared I'll buy my badge, and then have no place to stay. After seeing how many people are at the con, I can't even imagine how everyone gets a hotel in the city within a few miles.

Define "nearby." For hotels within a block of the convention center (i.e., Seaport, Westin, and Renaissance), minutes at most. For the downtown hotels which are serviced by the shuttle, days to weeks at least. And Boston certainly does not fill up, so if you are comfortable staying near the Hynes because of your familiarity with Anime Boston, then you should not have trouble getting a room at any point.
    One more thing.... do the Westin and Seaport allow for bag check and is there a fee? Since I would be arriving early Friday morning, Im sure room check in wouldn't be until the afternoon, and I have cosplay stuff and suitcases that would need a home until then.

I have never had a problem with this, or been charged for it, anywhere at any hotel in my life, and can definitely confirm that the Westin was able to do that for me two years ago. That being said, I'm sure they have finite space, and so one cannot discount the possibility that, in a period of abnormally high demand, they may not be able to do so. I'd either call them to see if they can guarantee that they can store your stuff, or have a back-up plan (there's an inexpensive coat check in the Convention Center itself which I highly recommend).

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I held something at the Westin front desk Thursday before PAX last year and they charged me $4. =|

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Huh.. I was never charged anything for the Westin holding my bags.

• Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    Thats wierd I stayed at the Westin twice and I never had a bag charge.

• Options
    RicinRicin Registered User regular
    I was charged for bag hold on Sunday of last years Pax at the Westin

• Options
    yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    THanks guys!

Ok, I wasn't sure if it was all just one big purchase option (buy badge, then have the option to either book a room or checkout). Is there a specific place on the website I should be checking for hotels routinely? Or are they good about updating the front page when hotel reg goes live?

I used bag check at the convention center last year and it was great! It just seemed to fill up kind of fast (or at least look that way).

If I don't get the Westin or Seaport and I have to use a hotel that is further away, how reliable is the shuttle system? Meaning, do you have to wait a long time to get on, and does it fill up fast? I remeber when AB and PAX were on the same weekend I saw a heard of people waiting outside for the shuttle, and couldn't imagine everyone fitting on it. Also, if I stayed for a concert that ends late is getting a cab my only option, and how easy is that to do?

I found out the hard way last time I was in Boston that you can't just raise your hand like in the movies, and you have to find a line of them someplace XD

• Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    yutani san wrote: »
    THanks guys!

Ok, I wasn't sure if it was all just one big purchase option (buy badge, then have the option to either book a room or checkout). Is there a specific place on the website I should be checking for hotels routinely? Or are they good about updating the front page when hotel reg goes live?

Best place to keep an eye on is probably the hotels page. Originally, you could actually monitor the OnPeak page directly (https://onpeak.compassreservations.com/compass/webdirect.cfm?code=43PXE14), but they've since changed the URL, so that no longer works. Unless someone figures out what the new URL is. :)
    I used bag check at the convention center last year and it was great! It just seemed to fill up kind of fast (or at least look that way).

I believe I was one of the last 10 to be able to check my bags on Friday last year, but I had waited until about noon to avoid the lines. So just go early if you need it.
    If I don't get the Westin or Seaport and I have to use a hotel that is further away, how reliable is the shuttle system? Meaning, do you have to wait a long time to get on, and does it fill up fast? I remeber when AB and PAX were on the same weekend I saw a heard of people waiting outside for the shuttle, and couldn't imagine everyone fitting on it. Also, if I stayed for a concert that ends late is getting a cab my only option, and how easy is that to do?

I had no problems with the shuttle system last year. Though they would get crowded, I don't believe we ever left anyone behind, and I never had to wait longer than about 10 minutes. The biggest downside is that downtown Boston traffic is awful, especially Friday morning, so it can take more than half an hour to get down there. The shuttles run until PAX closes, so you should be fine after the concerts as well. However, if you do need a cab, there's a cab line at all times in front of the convention center. Right when PAX closes, the line can be an hour or more long, however. If you're at a concert, you may want to consider slipping out a couple minutes before it ends (i.e., skip the encore), which will save you about half an hour of waiting.

• Options
    pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    Anyone know what the approximate parking charges at the hotels, per day, are? Or do they roll parking into the room rate?

• Options
    Unless a hotel offers free parking it will not be rolled into the rate, I think the rate at Seaport when I was looking at it was around $32 per night maybe a little less/more depending on whether you self or valet park. Just google the hotel you are interested in and the info should be there.

• Options
    pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    Thanks. Looks to be about 25 to 35 a day for most self parking...

This discussion has been closed.