Options

PAX East 2014 Hotel Discussion Thread

145791043

Posts

  • Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Are these things allowed? No. If you're quiet about them, don't walk in the front door with 7 people, a case of beer under each arm, screaming, "PAAAAAAARRRRTTTYYYYYY!!!!!" is anyone going to bother you? No.

    If you check in with one other person and the other 3 walk in just a bit before or after you and walk to over by the elevators and wait there, with a bottle of something in one of their bags, wrapped in clothing, not clanking around, and then you don't make a lot of noise or damage anything, no one is going to know the difference.

  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    lol people still are really not awnsering the question of how you go about asking for extra keys or making sure everyone in your room has a key without drawing attention to yourself. Is there a way you would do this that way everyone has a key and you dont flat out pretty much come out and ask for 4 or 5 which would be a obvious red flag. Or do people who have done this in the past do the people generally just not have have a key for every person and then you have to try and find a person with a room key each time.

  • Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Oh, you can't ask for extra keys easily. You might get lucky and the person doesn't pay attention to how many you have when you ask for more, but most likely, you're sharing keys. But if you say you have 4 people and actually have 5, then asking for 4 keys should keep you pretty well covered.

  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    so pretty much if you want to make sure everyone has a key just mark the real amount for the room.

  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    What is the chances of using the " I lost my key excuse" do they question you a lot if you lost your card to be able to get a extra one.

  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    just a few last questions that I have sorry to be a paid with all these questions

    1. So when looking at the hotel page thing it says in the 2 bed double room it's a max 4 guests. Does this mean that the extra 20-25 cost does not go into effect cause you can have a max of 4 guests or does it not matter and that the second you mark more then 2 people will be in the hotel you automatically get charged that.

    2. once the hotel share thing comes up is it normal to ask for like a deposit to hold the persons spot that way you don't get screwed over in the end. Or is it kinda just the trust system. Just wouldnt want to ask for one if that is not normal.

  • Options
    shepdshepd Registered User regular
    I am almost certain all the hotels will be using electronic keys. Some electronic setups are stupid and the key doesn't change per guest (ie: Coded per room). Some such setups are intelligent and can tie a key to a guest and thus if you lost the previous key (and have *paid* for a new one!) you will find the old one is only good as an ice scraper.

    If the hotel is into security and has the previous system, they will recode the lock and give you an entire new set of keys, since it means there's a key floating out there that someone can use to break into your room.

  • Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    The better approach is to get the cards allowed for the room which will usually equate to max guests unless institute a lower number for pax then go back later even next day and request an additional card or cards. If you do it in morning and evening you should have two different groups on desk.

    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    rascrush wrote: »
    lol people still are really not awnsering the question of how you go about asking for extra keys or making sure everyone in your room has a key without drawing attention to yourself. Is there a way you would do this that way everyone has a key and you dont flat out pretty much come out and ask for 4 or 5 which would be a obvious red flag. Or do people who have done this in the past do the people generally just not have have a key for every person and then you have to try and find a person with a room key each time.

    You haven't stayed at a lot of hotels, I take it?

    You say you lost a key or two and the front desk will give you an extra. As always, be discreet and use your brain. Don't rush back ten minutes after check in looking for extra keys. And don't push your luck. Get that extra one or two and drop it.

  • Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    And maybe you will simply have to coordinate your use of keys if you do not get extras

    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    The better approach is to get the cards allowed for the room which will usually equate to max guests unless institute a lower number for pax then go back later even next day and request an additional card or cards. If you do it in morning and evening you should have two different groups on desk.

    This will only work as Shepd said though if they are using an old system, which most places are not. Heck, I worked at a Super 8 Motel in college(5ish years ago?) and they even had a system that if you made a new key(s) for a room it deactivated the previous set. My guess would be that somewhere like the Westport will definitely have good enough system to deactivate the old keys when new ones are activated. Of course, it's always worth a try...just don't go in with expectations it will work. ;)

  • Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    I not suggesting as a replacement as if I lost it or it was not working I mean asking for an additional key to the room. , every hotel I have ever travelled to has asked me how many keys I want and if I needed an additional key they can code it they simply will want proof that I am the guest who booked the room. I travel extensively and this has never been an issue.

    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    rascrush wrote: »
    What is the chances of using the " I lost my key excuse" do they question you a lot if you lost your card to be able to get a extra one.

    I had happen what many people are talking about. Last year during my Westin stay, after losing my key and getting a new one, when I found the key later and mixed up the two, I locked myself out with a deactivated key. Best bet to give the max occupancy number or just deal with fewer.

    ishtra on
    Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    VegaObscuraVegaObscura Registered User regular
    Yeah, rascrush...if you're planning on having 4 and will need 4 room keys, don't try to skirt around it. Tell them 4 and collect 4 keys. It may cost you $40 more, but split among 4 people, is that really that much?

  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    no I was just curious if there was a way around it of course if there was a easy way around it may as well lol.

  • Options
    xBanzai89xBanzai89 Registered User regular
    From my quick search for the seaport and westin are sold out right now for rooms during pax. When the hotel portal opens up for pax will there be any rooms available at all at either of those hotels? I didn't know if there would still be some reserved for that at least.

  • Options
    sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    xBanzai89 wrote: »
    From my quick search for the seaport and westin are sold out right now for rooms during pax. When the hotel portal opens up for pax will there be any rooms available at all at either of those hotels? I didn't know if there would still be some reserved for that at least.
    9768f49d6aae2bb22d8aa41d6eb6d321.png

    Nope, rooms are still available at the Seaport during PAX East. And, yes, there is a block of rooms at each hotel that will become available once the hotel reservation portal (OnPeak) becomes available.

    PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

    PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • Options
    xBanzai89xBanzai89 Registered User regular
    My group is looking to Thursday to Sunday and no rooms are available for that date range. Though I am relieved to hear about there still being rooms available through OnPeak sometime soon. Going to be having to keep tabs on Facebook, Twitter, and here. Last year I heard the forum got an early tip on when OnPeak was coming online. Is that true?

  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    yeah, most of the hotel rooms are pre-blocked off by OnPeak.

    Last year the onpeak site was not very secure, and some people just guessed a URL and got in early. That situation has been remedied.

  • Options
    mochibunnymochibunny Registered User regular
    ^ OR.... HAS IT?!?!?!!>:c *keyboard smashes random numbers*

  • Options
    xBanzai89xBanzai89 Registered User regular
    Ah I see. Thanks for the info.

  • Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Last year the onpeak site was not very secure, and some people just guessed a URL and got in early. That situation has been remedied.

    That happened this year as well, I just thought it would be appropriate to ask Khoo if it was ok to post, and he said no.

  • Options
    mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    xBanzai89 wrote: »
    My group is looking to Thursday to Sunday and no rooms are available for that date range. Though I am relieved to hear about there still being rooms available through OnPeak sometime soon. Going to be having to keep tabs on Facebook, Twitter, and here. Last year I heard the forum got an early tip on when OnPeak was coming online. Is that true?

    I was able to call the Seaport directly and able to get them to take off Sunday night because I didn't really need it. So you could do the same thing I did.

  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2013
    KoalaBro2 wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Last year the onpeak site was not very secure, and some people just guessed a URL and got in early. That situation has been remedied.
    That happened this year as well, I just thought it would be appropriate to ask Khoo if it was ok to post, and he said no.
    Well, yes, but it was a different problem (I'm pretty sure I found the same thing you did). The URL guessing hasn't changed, but the security was improved (although not perfect).

    zerzhul on
  • Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    They just need a policy that if someone uses an exploit and gets passes in advance of that stated release then they are cancelled. Transactions are obviously date time stamped so it should easy to track. It will discourage anyone trying to beat the official start date.

    aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2013
    That was never for passes, only hotels, and it wasn't using an exploit, it was just OnPeak not being used to something with the demand of pax. To anyone that found it early, it just looked like it was open for reg and hadn't been posted publicly yet.

    zerzhul on
  • Options
    thornxblthornxbl Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    zerzhul wrote: »
    That was never for passes, only hotels, and it wasn't using an exploit, it was just OnPeak not being used to something with the demand of pax. To anyone that found it early, it just looked like it was open for reg and hadn't been posted publicly yet.

    And honestly, it wasn't much "URL Guessing". It was simply changing the year value from 13 to 14...

    Anyways, it has been fixed since then. First, the ability to make new reservations through the 2014 page was disabled. Now, it appears that changing the 2013 hotel URL to 2014 doesn't redirect you to the 2014 page anymore, period.

    thornxbl on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Ohhh that's a good question. OnPeak... Are the hotel rooms for certain days only? I need a hotel room for Thursday - Sunday night. Will I be able to use OnPeak for those days?

  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Most likely, yes. Usually they have rooms from Wednesday through Monday around PAX East, but they definitely have more rooms available Fri-Sun than the other days.

  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Phew. I know it's hard to say since you don't work for onPeak. That just made me nervous at first.

  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    My personal experience is that Thu-Sun/Mon rooms should not be a problem if you book relatively early (obviously the more popular hotels will sell out quickly). I usually book Wednesday-Monday and have never had a problem, but I have definitely seen the Wednesday night rooms sell out quick.

  • Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Deleted as I ask a stupid question. :)

    00Fayt00 on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I believe the hotel spreadsheet in the OP has that info

  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Ohhh that's a good question. OnPeak... Are the hotel rooms for certain days only? I need a hotel room for Thursday - Sunday night. Will I be able to use OnPeak for those days?

    I've booked Wed before - Tuesday after for the past couple of years ('cuz Enforcing and travelling cross-country), and those days have always been at OnPeak rates.

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    SullMasterSullMaster Boston Hardcore Gamer and MLP Fanatic Boston MARegistered User regular
    I have a question on this too. Can you call the PAX East Travel Desk to book a reservation or is it strictly online? And if so which of the two methods is best?

  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    SullMaster wrote: »
    I have a question on this too. Can you call the PAX East Travel Desk to book a reservation or is it strictly online? And if so which of the two methods is best?
    There should be a phone number through which you can make reservations. I wouldn't say either is better than the other, but if you like talking to a human being, that option is available.

  • Options
    KomiKomi Registered User regular
    SullMaster wrote: »
    I have a question on this too. Can you call the PAX East Travel Desk to book a reservation or is it strictly online? And if so which of the two methods is best?
    There is a number, and quite a few people actually had to use it for past Prime as far as I remember due to crazy overloads. That isn't to say that'll happen for East, but yeah. You can definitely use the number after things go up, although it might be quicker to get things like pricing information and things like that on the site when it opens up. That being said keeping the number on hand is always good in case things go... wrong.

    -PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Badge (HOLYCRAPIGOTA4DAY!)
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Options
    SullMasterSullMaster Boston Hardcore Gamer and MLP Fanatic Boston MARegistered User regular
    Komi wrote: »
    SullMaster wrote: »
    I have a question on this too. Can you call the PAX East Travel Desk to book a reservation or is it strictly online? And if so which of the two methods is best?
    There is a number, and quite a few people actually had to use it for past Prime as far as I remember due to crazy overloads. That isn't to say that'll happen for East, but yeah. You can definitely use the number after things go up, although it might be quicker to get things like pricing information and things like that on the site when it opens up. That being said keeping the number on hand is always good in case things go... wrong.

    Good to know I can use the number then, that's the route I will go. Not taking any chances in missing out on the Westin this time

  • Options
    YeomansIIIYeomansIII Registered User new member
    Just wondering if anyone has stayed at/considered staying at the Logan Embassy Suites? I have a cancelable reservation there now, the main reason it was appealing was because it was cheap ($189/night) and because it was a two room suite, as I have a group of five... They claim that it takes 10-20 minutes to get to BCEC using the Metro Silver Line from Logan Airport. Just wondering if anyone has stayed here in the past

    PAX East 2014
    3-day Pass [X]
    Hotel [X]
    Plane [X]
  • Options
    xBanzai89xBanzai89 Registered User regular
    YeomansIII wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has stayed at/considered staying at the Logan Embassy Suites? I have a cancelable reservation there now, the main reason it was appealing was because it was cheap ($189/night) and because it was a two room suite, as I have a group of five... They claim that it takes 10-20 minutes to get to BCEC using the Metro Silver Line from Logan Airport. Just wondering if anyone has stayed here in the past

    That isn't bad at all. Though I still prefer to be in walking distance. Past three years I have gone I have had a group of 5 in a room. A couple air beds helps remedy the situation.

This discussion has been closed.