Options

prime 2014 save the date

2»

• Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    CodeMonkey wrote: »
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Ha! I wasn't suggesting that the lottery was the fix, but it's hilarious that they have an FAQ entry debunking that. Whe'hel never mind! =P
    I like how their retort on the FAQ page to a lottery system is that it doesn't fix everything. No mention at all about how it does fix *something* though (making it more "fair" to people who can't camp the site). Still doesn't guarantee anyone will get tickets, but it would at least make it so that everyone had the same chance at getting them.

Because why should someone who was prepared lose out to someone who wasn't prepared?

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    It's six of one, half-dozen of the other. Some get in, some don't. I'm sure there are lots of different systems that would work, but there is no one system that "fixes" the fact that there are twice as many people who WANT to go, vs how many people this venue can accommodate.

Maybe Penny Arcade will have enough money in 10 years to build PAX Island, but then there will be a housing shortage there too. There's no silver bullet.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    It's six of one, half-dozen of the other. Some get in, some don't. I'm sure there are lots of different systems that would work, but there is no one system that "fixes" the fact that there are twice as many people who WANT to go, vs how many people this venue can accommodate.

Maybe Penny Arcade will have enough money in 10 years to build PAX Island, but then there will be a housing shortage there too. There's no silver bullet.

Pretty much. No matter how you slice it, supply <<<< demand. We had this whole debate last year after passes sold out.

There may be infinitely many methods to distribute passes "fairly," but as long as supply can't be increased, nothing's going to solve supply vs demand.

My opinion is that luck should favor the prepared.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    byakuen wrote: »
    I've talked to some people during Pax13 who are already making hotel reservations for Pax14. Are the hotels really taking reservations that far in advance?

FWIW i have had hotel reservations against the dates in the OP since last year. Some hotels open them up well in advance. Depending on when you make the reservation too, you could snag a deal at a rate close to the OnPeak one.

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    The lottery system disproportionately rewards scalpers, who will have tens of thousands of "balls" in the hopper compared to your measly 1-4 depending on how many devices you have at home. Look at how San Diego Comic Con did it this year - it was a massive mess. Yeah, that's what people want w/ regards to Prime - to literally have it come down to nothing more than luck.

Here's the bottom line: If you can buy tickets live when they go on sale, great. If you can't, you can always just show up anyways and buy them in front of the convention centre. Every year, a lot of people (myself included) spend the first hour or 2 on Friday standing out front selling badges for face value just to hose the scalpers. Some of them have mates who cancelled last minute, some of them assumed more of their mates would need badges than actually happened, etc.

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »
    The lottery system disproportionately rewards scalpers, who will have tens of thousands of "balls" in the hopper compared to your measly 1-4 depending on how many devices you have at home. Look at how San Diego Comic Con did it this year - it was a massive mess. Yeah, that's what people want w/ regards to Prime - to literally have it come down to nothing more than luck.

Here's the bottom line: If you can buy tickets live when they go on sale, great. If you can't, you can always just show up anyways and buy them in front of the convention centre. Every year, a lot of people (myself included) spend the first hour or 2 on Friday standing out front selling badges for face value just to hose the scalpers. Some of them have mates who cancelled last minute, some of them assumed more of their mates would need badges than actually happened, etc.

While its nice you sell your unused ticket for face value, don't fool yourself into thinking you are hosing any scalpers. Professional scalpers have already made the vast majority of their profit well before the event. Scalping is such a small issue it is not worth spending any time on.

0hy0sznvqw4d.png
  • Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    Quintious wrote: »

While its nice you sell your unused ticket for face value, don't fool yourself into thinking you are hosing any scalpers. Professional scalpers have already made the vast majority of their profit well before the event. Scalping is such a small issue it is not worth spending any time on.

It's tilting against windmills for the most part, but every little bit counts. I would argue decidedly against the "it's such a small issue". There are 9 "regulars" that hang out in front of every local event in this area (old lady in bath robe, one guido looking jerkoff who threatens to beat up anybody on "his corner" selling a ticket at face value and who backs up REAL fast when you don't flinch when he steps up to you, 2 dreadlocked dudes, one guy who looks a lot like Usher, 1 white dude with a nerdy haircut and nerdy glasses who *almost* blends in at nerd cons, 1 really tall black bloke, a little Asian guy - whom I knocked out at ECCC last year when he put a hand on me - and 1 shorter dude that smells like crack), and every year I see these dudes, they've each got a stack of badges 3-4 inches thick - and that's just what they're carrying, let alone what they've got stashed in their clownmobile.

Granted, a chunk of their badges comes from walking up to people selling @ face value and then offering them $5-$10 for the badges just hoping the person is desperate to get rid of them for any price, but a huge amount of their inventory comes from the actual site sales, and a very finite amount of badges are going to change hands via Craigslist before the con.

• Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2014
    That's really not on topic. If you want to be regaled by Quintious' tales of questionable activities and machismo, a PM is the place to go.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    My bad. On topic: Prime does not cross with my birthday this year, which is kinda baller, cause I can keep the party goin' ya'll

• Options
    madtygermadtyger Lover of Bricks Side 3Registered User regular
    Already have my vacation time put in for this! Too bad I won't be able to stay Monday, but glad they extended PAX by a day for those who can.

This discussion has been closed.