As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GTA5] Old thread, ready to lock.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    hmm... will have to check out the crew later. and stop spazzing over gold medals... or look them before starting missions! :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Just put in my info for both apps.

Yeah, I know. Timing.
    Honestly, your timing is perfect. We basically know now that everybody in the Crew is legit, so getting you approved and promoted will be a snap.

Fun facts, Timezone:
    10% European
    35% Eastern
    27% Central
    4% Mountain
    20% Pacific
    3% Oceanic

Fun facts, platform:
    43% PS3
    57% Xbox 360

Out of 198 responses. Another fun fact: we only have 180 members in the crew. :rotate:

• Options
    btw dude, note sure why you guys decided to do the purge thing, but the OP makes it seem like anybody can join, vs... anybody can join provided you're a forumer or FOF of a forumer.

• Options
    btw dude, note sure why you guys decided to do the purge thing, but the OP makes it seem like anybody can join, vs... anybody can join provided you're a forumer or FOF of a forumer.
    We left the Crew public by mistake, and a lot of random people joined. Anybody who filled out the forms - which are directly below the big link to the crew - were kept, as was anyone I could track down on the boards.

It's not like we imposed a post limit or anything.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I don't see why someone who isn't a forumer or a buddy of one should have an interest in joining.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    I don't see why someone who isn't a forumer or a buddy of one should have an interest in joining.
    Our Crew logo is really, really awesome. Also spambots.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Our Crew logo is really, really awesome. Also spambots.

It is awesome, but I'm not sure how great it'll look sprayed on a car. Due to the illustrator-ish nature of it. As opposed to being emblem like. Who knows, though?

On another note: how many Ryan Gosling (from Drive) lookalikes will we see in GTA: Online?

It's a given there will be a ton of Walter Whites.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    You don't get direct control over your appearance from what I've heard, so very few.

Also, I've blown open two money trucks so far. Empty. What the guff.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The best part about the logo is that the concept of the Fruit Fucker seems oddly at home in the GTA universe.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    I still have no idea what GTA online is

Should be interesting

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Figgy wrote: »
    You don't get direct control over your appearance from what I've heard, so very few.

well you choose your parents and your grandparents , so you can keep testing out different combos.

edit: and which parent you favor , looks wise

Egos on
  • Options
    I still have no idea what GTA online is

Should be interesting

The base game but with 15 other people. (There were rumors of them increasing it to a 32 player cap? Or was this maybe just for a possible PC release... hmn.)

• Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    the PIS mass sell ended and it looks like the stock price kept going up. so it appears as though the masses cant manipulate the market with coordinated efforts. probably a good thing or it'd be too open to abuse

also, i finally completed getting gold on the helicopter challenges in flight school. never again

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    We left the Crew public by mistake, and a lot of random people joined. Anybody who filled out the forms - which are directly below the big link to the crew - were kept, as was anyone I could track down on the boards.

It's not like we imposed a post limit or anything.

how many people ended up getting PURGED?

It seemed like a drop in at least 50, but others joined up.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

You have no idea how many "NYGGAHATA97" and "WEEDSMOKA4LYFE" 's we had that randomly joined. Like a good third were just scummy randoms

• Options
    wow down to 183.

I will say I have a false sense of pride in that I was one of the original 16 representatives arbitrarily assigned the rank because I joined up quickly and I think 3rd or so (sadly the only other person I remember in that grouping is carbonfire :( ...so I can't go "yeah we're one of the 16!" out of some weird pride O_o) . Before the great REPRESENTIN' began.

• Options
    JunleaJunlea Registered User regular
    Don't purge me, bros.

Looking forward to the shenanigans tomorrow.

Junlea :: Writer, Gamer, Bagel Fan
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Once I get the cash for the heavy guns I will gladly be the heavy for heists.

Blood for the blood god.
    Skulls for the skull throne
    Bullet casings for the road home.

• Options
    moleface wrote: »
    the PIS mass sell ended and it looks like the stock price kept going up. so it appears as though the masses cant manipulate the market with coordinated efforts. probably a good thing or it'd be too open to abuse

also, i finally completed getting gold on the helicopter challenges in flight school. never again

Helicopter gold was particularly frustrating. Especially that last turn around the building to stick the landing. So many silver medals because of screwing that up. :S

Re the crew: I didn't know! Makes sense now :P

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    So it seems like the GTA = Sexist fervor has kind of died down, but I saw it brought up in the review from the LA Times, so I kind of wanted to take another stab at this, and see what you folks thought:
    Despite it’s grandiose nature, “Grand Theft Auto V” is very much a crafted experience. Advertisements on the radio feature businesses you encounter in game, news flashes are often times about happenings you partook in during a story mission, and all sorts of other interconnected elements exist in the world of Los Santos - you can take out virtual stock shares, for crying out loud. Writers Dan Houser and Rupert Humphries are trying to make a very specific point about the world we live in, through their specific point of view. In much the same way we don’t (or shouldn’t) tell Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese, Brian De Palma, Oliver Stone, Ridley Scott, Wes Craven, or Francis Ford Coppola to tone down the controversial elements in their respective crafts, asking Houser and Humphries to change the way they approach the world of Grand Theft Auto because it unsettles you is like asking an artist to put a mustache on the Mona Lisa because you think it’d look better that way.

Sometimes appreciating someone’s art includes the parts you don’t like, whether it be hang-outs and over-long (but entertaining) conversations between NPCs, sophomoric jokes about poop, or dead-on parodies of political figures like Elizabeth Warren. This is the vision of the creative minds behind this game, and that creativity flows through every single facet of Los Santos, creating a glimmering, vapid, sinister version of Los Angeles that is a marvel visually, auditorily, and atmospherically. Thus, when you challenge them to change, you’re in essence saying the creative minds behind GTAV are somehow *below* people who make film or television. We’re not asking James Cameron to direct “Bridesmaids 2” so why would we ask Dan Houser and Rupert Humphries to write about things they’re not comfortable portraying in an accurate light?

And I say accurate light because it seems that Sexism is the main controversial element this time around. The hypocrisy of saying virtual murder is a-okay, but virtual sexism is not, aside, the problem with the ‘sexist’ argument is two fold. Firstly “GTAV” deliberately satirizes everyone, even the players. It hates on republicans and women and new age thinking and our technology driven culture, takes jabs at same-y first person shooters, people who smoke e-cigarettes, just how gleeful our culture gets over those poor souls who audition on American Idol, and even takes a potshot or six at the kinds of people likely to be playing this game over XBLA in a few weeks. My point is the old “South Park” defense. For this game to make a conscious decision to ‘take it easy’ on various female-oriented stereotypes, it’s in essence saying that things like murder, and drug use, and racism, and cannibalism, and everything else is a-okay. When it comes to satire you’re either all in, or you don’t belong at the table.

The other question is why hasn’t “Grand Theft Auto” featured a female protagonist? Well, this is trickier. I’m in favor of a female protagonist, but I don’t think most gamers would appreciate the kind of character they would get. If Houser and Humphries are okay writing a female character and decide to do so, the problem they’d face is how to accurately portray a female character in a world filled with murder, brutality, sexism and various other social and psychological pressures.

You can’t just write a male character, give them boobs and long hair, and call it a day, especially in a game like “Grand Theft Auto” which takes its satiric world very seriously - regardless of whether you care about it or not - because that would be literally objectifying women. Thus, this girl would likely face threats of sexual violence, have to deal with other women who think she’s betrayed her culture, and to make sure she isn’t a betty sue, she’d need a whole slew of personal issues, problems, foibles, and goals that would need to be inherent to the world as seen through the eyes of female, in much the same way Franklin is trying to get out of the proverbial ghetto. To ignore the issues facing women, while having a female character, would be the most sexist thing of all.

The problem is that this would cause a fucking riot. Remember gamers, we’re the guys who got the ending to Mass Effect 3 changed because we didn’t like it so much, the folks who absolutely refuse to believe media effects kids, despite all of us at one point or another thwapping our baby brother or sister over the head with a wrapping paper tube because it was like a light saber. Thus, I’m not sure how much faith we can put in our collective community to understand the difference between a strong female character, and a female character who does strong things, especially considering how horny we seem to get when we get a chance to take something, anything, down a peg. I guess my point is this: We need a female character, but as a community don’t deserve one, yet.

No one asks James Cameron to direct Bridesmaids 2, but people do deconstruct the racism in James Cameron's Avatar. So it's not really like that at all, it's about creating a conversation about elements of a piece of art. The author of these paragraphs seems to be unable to imagine a world where you can like and appreciate something but be critical of parts of it. "Appreciating someone's art" doesn't mean loving every 100% of it like he insists, it means "being able to like the sum but not every single part." You don't have to like 100% of anything. If anything, that ought to be uncommon.

As for female protagonists, the idea that "If they did we'd have to try and rape her" is dumb as all hell. You might as well say we should only have white males as characters in everything because otherwise we'd have to deal with things like race and, y'know, race issues otherwise it would be a betrayal. So we should only tell these plain, unchallenging, white bread stories we've seen 100x in mass media for a 60 years. K.

I think the problem is that GTA takes strong cues from classic crime/gang movies like Heat, The Godfather, Scarface or Boyz N The Hood and there aren't any female protagonists to crib from those films. Personally, I think they should use Snoop from The Wire.

• Options
    Lux wrote: »
    So it seems like the GTA = Sexist fervor has kind of died down, but I saw it brought up in the review from the LA Times, so I kind of wanted to take another stab at this, and see what you folks thought:
    Despite it’s grandiose nature, “Grand Theft Auto V” is very much a crafted experience. Advertisements on the radio feature businesses you encounter in game, news flashes are often times about happenings you partook in during a story mission, and all sorts of other interconnected elements exist in the world of Los Santos - you can take out virtual stock shares, for crying out loud. Writers Dan Houser and Rupert Humphries are trying to make a very specific point about the world we live in, through their specific point of view. In much the same way we don’t (or shouldn’t) tell Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese, Brian De Palma, Oliver Stone, Ridley Scott, Wes Craven, or Francis Ford Coppola to tone down the controversial elements in their respective crafts, asking Houser and Humphries to change the way they approach the world of Grand Theft Auto because it unsettles you is like asking an artist to put a mustache on the Mona Lisa because you think it’d look better that way.

Sometimes appreciating someone’s art includes the parts you don’t like, whether it be hang-outs and over-long (but entertaining) conversations between NPCs, sophomoric jokes about poop, or dead-on parodies of political figures like Elizabeth Warren. This is the vision of the creative minds behind this game, and that creativity flows through every single facet of Los Santos, creating a glimmering, vapid, sinister version of Los Angeles that is a marvel visually, auditorily, and atmospherically. Thus, when you challenge them to change, you’re in essence saying the creative minds behind GTAV are somehow *below* people who make film or television. We’re not asking James Cameron to direct “Bridesmaids 2” so why would we ask Dan Houser and Rupert Humphries to write about things they’re not comfortable portraying in an accurate light?

And I say accurate light because it seems that Sexism is the main controversial element this time around. The hypocrisy of saying virtual murder is a-okay, but virtual sexism is not, aside, the problem with the ‘sexist’ argument is two fold. Firstly “GTAV” deliberately satirizes everyone, even the players. It hates on republicans and women and new age thinking and our technology driven culture, takes jabs at same-y first person shooters, people who smoke e-cigarettes, just how gleeful our culture gets over those poor souls who audition on American Idol, and even takes a potshot or six at the kinds of people likely to be playing this game over XBLA in a few weeks. My point is the old “South Park” defense. For this game to make a conscious decision to ‘take it easy’ on various female-oriented stereotypes, it’s in essence saying that things like murder, and drug use, and racism, and cannibalism, and everything else is a-okay. When it comes to satire you’re either all in, or you don’t belong at the table.

The other question is why hasn’t “Grand Theft Auto” featured a female protagonist? Well, this is trickier. I’m in favor of a female protagonist, but I don’t think most gamers would appreciate the kind of character they would get. If Houser and Humphries are okay writing a female character and decide to do so, the problem they’d face is how to accurately portray a female character in a world filled with murder, brutality, sexism and various other social and psychological pressures.

You can’t just write a male character, give them boobs and long hair, and call it a day, especially in a game like “Grand Theft Auto” which takes its satiric world very seriously - regardless of whether you care about it or not - because that would be literally objectifying women. Thus, this girl would likely face threats of sexual violence, have to deal with other women who think she’s betrayed her culture, and to make sure she isn’t a betty sue, she’d need a whole slew of personal issues, problems, foibles, and goals that would need to be inherent to the world as seen through the eyes of female, in much the same way Franklin is trying to get out of the proverbial ghetto. To ignore the issues facing women, while having a female character, would be the most sexist thing of all.

The problem is that this would cause a fucking riot. Remember gamers, we’re the guys who got the ending to Mass Effect 3 changed because we didn’t like it so much, the folks who absolutely refuse to believe media effects kids, despite all of us at one point or another thwapping our baby brother or sister over the head with a wrapping paper tube because it was like a light saber. Thus, I’m not sure how much faith we can put in our collective community to understand the difference between a strong female character, and a female character who does strong things, especially considering how horny we seem to get when we get a chance to take something, anything, down a peg. I guess my point is this: We need a female character, but as a community don’t deserve one, yet.

No one asks James Cameron to direct Bridesmaids 2, but people do deconstruct the racism in James Cameron's Avatar. So it's not really like that at all, it's about creating a conversation about elements of a piece of art. The author of these paragraphs seems to be unable to imagine a world where you can like and appreciate something but be critical of parts of it. "Appreciating someone's art" doesn't mean loving every 100% of it like he insists, it means "being able to like the sum but not every single part." You don't have to like 100% of anything. If anything, that ought to be uncommon.

As for female protagonists, the idea that "If they did we'd have to try and rape her" is dumb as all hell. You might as well say we should only have white males as characters in everything because otherwise we'd have to deal with things like race and, y'know, race issues otherwise it would be a betrayal. So we should only tell these plain, unchallenging, white bread stories we've seen 100x in mass media for a 60 years. K.

I think the problem is that GTA takes strong cues from classic crime/gang movies like Heat, The Godfather, Scarface or Boyz N The Hood and there aren't any female protagonists to crib from those films. Personally, I think they should use Snoop from The Wire.

yes! you know when people were bringing up female protagonists before the game came out, I was tempted to bring her up...but I figured it might not go over well because not many people have watched the Wire (at least past the first season or two) .

• Options
    HalleckHalleck Registered User regular
    I have a business meeting tomorrow night. Running potentially late into the evening.

no boss i do not want to discuss our quarterly returns
    i want to do crimes
    criiiiiiiiiiiiiimes

• Options
    Also John Marston can be your parent?
    actual_1380327384.jpg

O_o

• Options
    Egos wrote: »
    Also John Marston can be your parent?
    actual_1380327384.jpg

O_o

I can see the resemblance... o_o

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular

I guess my point is this: We need a female character, but as a community don’t deserve one, yet.

Glad to see you have such a high opinion of your fellow gamers, which makes the majority of your argument a session of masturbatory bullshit, several gamers are have been disappointed by housers writing for quite awhile, GTA is a vehicle that drives the gaming industry forward into acknowledging and even trying new more adult themes (and very childish aspects as well) seeing them add a female protagonist seems like it would do more harm than good for the cause (because its well outside their wheelhouse).

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I don't like Houser's writing because he ruined Max Payne's story and background. Also the writing. And the suicidal shoot dodging. And the long ass cutscenes/loading scenes. And the bullet sponge enemies. And everything else that punishes you for trying to have fun.

• Options
    TravanTravan Registered User regular
    Personally, I think they should use everything and everyone from The Wire.

I'm still quite enjoying myself, but even I'm finding a lot of the games references stale, and it ain't for a lack of suitable new material.

In less tendentious news, I just remembered afternoon classes are cancelled tomorrow.

Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    I've gotta be honest.

Next GTA game needs to be in the past again, V kind of covers 'directly modern' setting perfectly. I want to return to the 70's!

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    moleface wrote: »

I can't imagine that players could have an impact on the stocks just by buying and selling, because there is absolutely nothing stopping you from just buying/selling a whole mess of stocks... and then reloading your save to before you did anything.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Do we know when Online goes live?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Do we know when Online goes live?

Sounds like when the Title Updates get pushed to live. With Xbox this is around 4am PST.

• Options
    Did you ambush them before they put the money in the back? It's in a little silver briefcase.
    All told? Around 120. Tonight, specifically, maybe 50-70.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I like to point out that he's quoting an article from the LA Times.

• Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    Revived my long-dead Gold membership today- makes me feel like a relapsed criminal, which can only help the roleplay aspect.

If my maths is right, the update should go live in around six hours?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Did you ambush them before they put the money in the back? It's in a little silver briefcase.
    All told? Around 120. Tonight, specifically, maybe 50-70.

Too bad that ganking an armored truck has yet to yield me more than $4500.

I spend more than that in hospital fees.

Hooraaaaay...

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    you've got to put money in the ATM to stop paying the outrageous hospital fees.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    After playing Midnight Club dUB Edition on the PSP I'm really disappointed that we don't have custom license plates for the cars.

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    So, ah, what can I do to get back in to the crew post-purge?

(-- wordcore33)

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I've gotta be honest.

Next GTA game needs to be in the past again, V kind of covers 'directly modern' setting perfectly. I want to return to the 70's!

My ideal GTA Next would be in the 50's/60's. A merge of Bonnie & Clyde and Crime Story. Keep heists, build on crew management. Add in some height-of-Cold-War paranoia (can you imagine GTA's version of the Red Scare?). Put it some place new... Carcer City, or a new Las Venturas, or GTA's version of Dallas. Anywhere that would make for a plausible horse getaway.

• Options
    Lux wrote: »
    So, ah, what can I do to get back in to the crew post-purge?

(-- wordcore33)

from the OP

Verification Form
    Request Form

This discussion has been closed.