As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Invisible, Inc.] Incognita goes Incognito

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I'm salivating, you monster.

InkSplatIolo
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    So one thing kind of silly in this update. I made it to the second floor with all of my agents intact, plus a data disk, an extra adrenaline dose, and 200 credits. Then at the entrance to the second floor, there was a camera right outside the spawn. No Mainframes around to hack, so I had to go and get caught by it. Which, okay, no big deal. Except I could not make it to any other doors (that I could open) without sitting in front of it another turn. So my alarm goes up even more. There are two doors I can open now, but after checking one it leads to an empty room. The other is much more wide open, but it's got another camera inside and still no mainframes.

Decided to quit at that point.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Haha. Yeah, they're tweaking improved a lot of things by making the layouts more complex, but definitely created a couple issues.

Hilarious issues.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=cuFa8tCYdm7

Add an n to the end of that link and you have a copy. First come first serve.

InkSplatcooljammer00ElvenshaeOatsIolo
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Someone snagged it, thanks anyway Phoenix for the generosity!

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Got to spend a couple hours with this today. A lack of overarching structure to the "why" of the game, but that is entirely to be expected given the early stage of the game.

What is there is very interesting. 20 turns until the elite security arrives already feels like a really, really good amount of time for getting the player to hurry, but still letting them accomplish a good bit. The sound and discovery mechanics are a double-edged sword, restricting your movement but also allowing your to manipulate gaurds, with a bit of cleverness. The Mainframe system is also nice, adding a great way to manipulate environments. The way lethal and non-lethal takedowns are handled is also good, giving you a choice between temporary, safe passage and risking alerted behavior with lethal takedowns.

Best run I've had so far had my spy near the exit on Floor 2, with my engineer across the map when he alerts two guards standing outside the security door in front of him, blocking a swift path to the exit. The engineer then had to race across the map as the guards had to navigate the long way around the entire map, since a couple of security doors split the map in half. The engineer got to another security door to cut across the map one turn ahead of the guards; popped open the door, walked through, shut it behind me, and got both operatives out of the map just as the elite forces showed up to start searching.

Next floor up, I find a captured stealth dude just on the other side of a security door. Cruise through the map and never manage to find the passcard, but with the engineer getting Mainframe points and using the shock trap to knock out a lone wandering (problematic) guard in the middle of the map, I was able to deactivate all the lasers and cameras around the cell, knock out two of the three guards in the room, get to the new guy, put down a guard at the entrance who woke back up, and get everybody out as the elite guards, also blocked by that original security door, had to start searching from the far end of the map.

Basis of one hell of a neat game here. What I would really like to see is a more complex set of class skills, the ability to develop them, and a campaign mode that lets you build and maintain a roster of characters for heists. Buttloads of potential here, for sure.

That's exactly what's coming. Skill trees will be introduced in the next couple updates supposedly, and more classes of course. It'll all end up in a campaign like structure where you get different jobs to go into different buildings and upkeep and outfit your team while worrying about XCOM style permadeath.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Severely awesome. I'll keep my fingers crossed that campaigns are also instanced sorts of things, so things can always play out differently on maps and playthroughs.

To be honest, even though that the gameplay is mostly lifted from the new Xcom, I feel like it's already doing a much, much better job here.

• SayuriUlianaSayuriUliana Registered User regular
    Well, once people saw how nu-XCOM played and what niggles it had, people can then adapt the system and improve on it. XCOM simply pioneered the way to streamline turn-based games, and many followed its example (see Shadowrun Returns).

I'm leary about playing for an Alpha, but a stealth-based turn-based game has my complete attention. Will wait until it's about Beta to see if I can jump into it.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Well, once people saw how nu-XCOM played and what niggles it had, people can then adapt the system and improve on it. XCOM simply pioneered the way to streamline turn-based games, and many followed its example (see Shadowrun Returns).

I'm leary about playing for an Alpha, but a stealth-based turn-based game has my complete attention. Will wait until it's about Beta to see if I can jump into it.
    XCOM hardly pioneered the "discrete move+shoot instead of time units" approach, which was its main streamlining move.

So, fun discovery. Guards can run to nearby somethings and turn off the laser fields. I just had one who I had a firefight with, but I decided not to kill since he was trapped, run off out of view of the camera I had control of, and like two turns later come running back, causing me to notice the lasers were off and he was now free to chase me.

Not sure if he moved to the laser emitter or a console or what, but still cool.

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    In case you were wondering, your own people trip shock traps.

You know, FYI.

Alrighty, so, the Twitch stream for the next update was earlier this evening.

The important updates are:

1) Sound Bugs: These are planted around the map and if your sound ring crosses one, it acts similarly to the Security Cameras, upping the alarm and alerting nearby guards. They are more heavily defended on the mainframe than Cameras, however, requiring 3 points to access. They can also be triggered through walls.

Related: Motion Sensors will likely be coming in the 3rd Update.

2) Improvable Skills: Each agent currently gets one advanceable skill, each with 3 levels that grant bonuses. You level them up by doing them.

Engineer: Scanning
    Stealth: Safecracking
    Sharpshooter: Overwatch

More skills will be coming to each agent later, but right now its just the one.

3) How Walls appear has been tweaked to allow for better visibility.
    4) Some basic AI and UI tweaks.

An interesting tidbit from the stream is that, at least for the Alpha/Beta (and it sounded likely for the final game), you'll be choosing a starting Agency that will have a set starting team, and you'll unlock new Agencies as you play. The system will allow them to tweak things for a more puzzle-like experience, so players can't just gear out the Optimal Build.

Example was that the current ACME Agency, which is with the Engineer and Stealth Agent, with Shocktraps and such. But you might unlock a different Agency later that will still start with an Engineer and Stealth Agent, but with a more combat-oreinted gear setup.

Also, rather than being Class-based, they're looking to make things more Archetype-based as things progress, with the agents being actual characters with some potential overlap in abilities. Total Archetypes will be "much more" than the current 3. The aim is that in a playthrough you'll have acquire and lose various agents, and then, on the next playthrough, you'll only see some of those agents from last time, and others that you didn't get before.

Also also, there will eventually be systems working against you in the Mainframe mode.

There will be different Corporations you'll be going against, which will result in different tile sets, level flows, enemy types, security systems, and shop access.

Update will be out Wednesday.

BlindPsychicIolo
  • AvistTorchAvistTorch Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I keep playing a little of this each evening. In its current incarnation, it's good to pick up and play for 15 minutes or so. (Wiped on Floor 5 or so - got too greedy on Floor 3 and got my Agent killed, so it was all downhill from there. Lost my engineer earlier on floor 1, but found a Sharpshooter on the second floor.)

Next update sounds great, as do the future plans. Looking forward to it.

AvistTorch on
    Yeah, it's a great 15-minute spurt game, but it's also ridiculously "one more floor".

Really looking forward to the Agent progression, as well as the future teams to unlock.

Klei wrote:
    The second update for the Incognita alpha is out!

The biggest element with this update is the start of the improvable agent skills. Each class has one skill now that can be improved during the game.

There is also a new security system that can be found in the levels. If your agent's sound ring crosses a "sound bug" it will raise the alarm and alert nearby guards similar to a camera. Hijacking a sound bug will allow you to hear what it does.

The wall rendering has been modified slightly. It's one of our steps to improving visibility of the levels.

We have been iterating on the information provided by the agent hud a fair amount. It will have a lot of temporary art until we reach a level of information and interaction we are satisfied with.

A team preview screen has been inserted after you start a new game. You can preview your starting agents and, in the future, choose between different teams.

We have also added a "color blind" setting to the options menu. They have not been thoroughly tested, so we would love to hear some feedback on it.

And lastly, player's agents will talk now similar to guards

Change list notes:
    Agents have improvable skills
    New security item - sound bug
    Refined wall rendering
    Iteration on the agent hud elements
    Team preview screen and agent character sheet
    Color blind correction filters.
    Agent dialogue

BUG FIX - 10/10/13
    The game can be continued properly after finishing the first floor and quitting.

Update 3 is on the way this week.

Features include:

Danger Zones
    The team is experimenting with pulling the obfuscation of information back a bit. LoS for cameras and guards show up as red on the floor (even cameras and guards you can't see), and the pathing for guards is visible.

They're very clear that this isn't necessarily the final form of anything, but they felt that getting caught due to bad luck of it being impossible to see a camera wasn't necessarily what they wanted. But they also acknowledge this might be too much information. They realize at the moment this might make things easy, but it isn't about difficulty right now, but rather systems. Difficulty can be tuned later if they find that this system improves overall gameplay. So, looking for lots of feedback.

Mainframe Programs
    This update will introduce a program you can use in Mainframe Mode, called Ping. It allows you to spend 2 CPU to create a sound anywhere you want, to distract guards.

Guard Arrest Behavior
    Guards can now go into Arrest Mode, where they'll tell you to freeze and go into overwatch, and then on the next turn they'll approach you and knock you out. This allows your agent to be rescued, but it also means those instances where you can just hide behind cover in a corner and have the guards shoot at you without approaching won't happen, because guards will now be able to come after you and club you in the face.

Other future tidbits
    Female models in the works. The next class introduced will likely be a Psychic class. Data discs as the currency to acquire new Mainframe Programs.

CroakerBCIoloElvenshae
    Update 4 is out as of yesterday.

LoS tweak: If at a corner, you won't see the square directly at an angle from it. This allows you to hide next to a doorway and have the guard actually walk through rather than seeing you from the other side. Allows guards to patrol past you.

Knockout Tweak: Your punch will now only knock out guards if not Alerted. If you punch from in front, it'll only do damage.

Ping now costs 25 credits.

Art for Shocktraps

Disposable Tools
    --Stims: Refreshes an Agent's movement and action points.

--Cloaking Rig: Go invisible for a turn.

--Personal Shield: ???

--Paralyzer Dose: Permanently KO an already KOed guard.

--Tazer: ???

--EMP Pack: ???

More Programs
    --Deepnet Bribe: Exchange credits for temporary CPU point.

--Credit Siphon: 4 CPUs to earn 25 credits.

--Visual Scan: ???

--Overlord: "A really brutal flash bang" ???

Regenerating Firewalls
    - Super difficult mainframe item that will have a large amount of firewall that regenerates at one per turn until fully broken.

Time between this update and the next will be a month, as the update will be particularly large and have at least one big new feature.

Full AI change coming soon. They're re-writing the entire thing.

SeGaTaiAvalonGuardBlindPsychicElvenshae
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Art for Shocktraps

Perfect! Now I won't keep opening the door I shock trapped four turns ago.

InkSplat
    edited November 2013
    Had some fun dicking around in this. Taking a bit to acclimate from the last time I played. Engineer is super slow now. Also was surprised when I started with a room full of guards (with their backs to me) and I remotely hacked a mainframe with the Engineer, they all suddenly swung around. Was not expecting wireless hacking to be so damn loud.

Also had a pretty fun instance where I got caught up in a shootout with two guards. Saw it coming and was ready to flank them with my stealth agent, and knocked the first out (then executed him to be safe, I was gonna get the hell out ASAP anyway). My Engineer's forcefield absorbed the conscious guard's shot, then my stealth agent took him out too. Unfortunately the shot alerted a guard in another room. Fortunately my Engineer was already standing in front of the entrance he would need to use, so I just slapped a shock trap on it, declared "See ya' later, fuckers!" and fled while he got electrocuted.

Iblis on
    CroakerBC
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    Had some fun dicking around in this. Taking a bit to acclimate from the last time I played. Engineer is super slow now. Also was surprised when I started with a room full of guards (with their backs to me) and I remotely hacked a mainframe with the Engineer, they all suddenly swung around. Was not expecting wireless hacking to be so damn loud.

Mechanical keyboard. Classic rookie mistake.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Elvenshae
    edited November 2013
    Haha, so, they have an evil attention to detail. The EMP pack will knock out any mechanical devices in an 8 square area. Including your Engineer. :P

Also, I really love the new arrest functionality, as it allows for so much more fun. I had a guard in a room ahead of me, but we were separated by a laser field. So I hacked the lasers and stepped my stealth agent out in plain sight just beyond it. The guard came running over to knock me out, and I casually flicked the switch back on, frying him.

I imagine the agent casually gesturing toward the beam emitters and a look of horror coming over the guard's face before burning red beams came back to life. :P

I'm really finding myself liking the danger zone mechanic though. Being able to see where you shouldn't go makes it feel much more like a puzzle, and also makes your agents seem much more bad ass. Being able to see guard paths is especially handy for doing cool things like hiding in parts of rooms you know they won't be looking. Just feels like you can be much more stealthy with that little bit of information.

Though it'll definitely be nice when they add in the fluff that Incognita is a supercomputer on your side that is feeding you all this information. And once they add in the level modifiers that can strip the Danger Zone stuff out of a particular floor, totally forcing you to change your play.

InkSplat on
    edited November 2013
    Iolo wrote: »
    Iblis wrote: »

Mechanical keyboard. Classic rookie mistake.

That's what I thought briefly, but then I realized that a sound bug specifically heard the mainframe itself.

So guess it lets out a loud ass dial-up cacophony or something.

Iblis on
    @iolo Hey, the key you won in my contest gave you an actual copy of the game, didn't it? I just realized you aren't on my "Friends who also have" list for Incognita. It was supposed to give you a playable copy--if it didn't, let me know.

@iolo Hey, the key you won in my contest gave you an actual copy of the game, didn't it? I just realized you aren't on my "Friends who also have" list for Incognita. It was supposed to give you a playable copy--if it didn't, let me know.

It definitely did, @Inksplat. <3

Just fired it up to be double extra sure. I've been waiting for the game to get closer to release/feature-complete before diving in.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Iolo wrote: »

It definitely did, @Inksplat. <3

Just fired it up to be double extra sure. I've been waiting for the game to get closer to release/feature-complete before diving in.

Cool. Just wanted to make sure! :)

Iolo
    So, update 5 is finally here, and its a pretty big one.
    Klei wrote:
    The fifth update for the Incognita Alpha. Corporate Policy.

This update is about building the corporate image. Now at the beginning of each mission you will be choosing which corporation to sneak into. The corporate defenses will vary as well as the rewards that can be found there. If successful, you will bring down each corp in turn.

Beware, you are infiltrating only one structure of a massive corporation, don't expect all those world wide assets to simply disappear after you have brought the corporation low.

A couple of system changes:

CPUs
    Consoles do not provide automatic points each turn. Instead, they can be hacked each turn. Points are carried over from turn to turn.

Knockouts
    Knockouts on unaware guards are 100% successful, but if the guard is aware, the chance goes down depending on which facing you attack them on.

Change list notes:
    * Building select screen. Choose which of the corporate offices you will infiltrate.
    * New Global Corp: Kelfried & Oden. European based masters of the arms industry.
    * New Global Corp: Sankaku. East Asian based leaders of robotics.
    * Building final floor mission. Shut down the mainframe servers to reduce a corp to economic ruin
    * New unit types for each new corp. Drones and Heavy combat guards.
    * New static defense types for each new corp. Sentry turrets, Infrared walls.
    * Corporate counter programs. Breaking firewalls can trigger adverse Daemon programs.
    * Consoles no longer provide repeating CPUs, but can be hacked each turn to gain more points. Unused CPUs are banked from turn to turn.
    * Revised knockout rules. Aware guards can be knocked out but have resistances based on their facing
    3D rotation effects. Also, rotate either direction! Z and X keys.
    * Peek around cover props.

Hotfix - Dec 6th
    * Secret entrances no longer get locked off

Really interested to give this a shot. The new units should make things interesting, and I'm liking the idea CPUs being more of an economy.

Also, another note on the forums is that the level generation now takes distance from the entrance/exit into account, so things that used to be long dead-ends should now often have valuable terminals and safes, which is nice.

Iolo
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    Damn this looks good. Tempting.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
    Marikir wrote: »
    Damn this looks good. Tempting.

You get 2 copies when you buy it, so that makes it a pretty good deal! (Buy it)

So, wow, game is so much harder now if you go after the AI-based corp. The Drones are really brutal.

Klei wrote:
    The sixth update for the Incognita Alpha. Femme Fatale.

The sixth update advances the agents another stage in their development. Agents become unique individuals along with a new skill system. The build for the girl is in so several new lady agents have been added. A couple of temporary new starting teams were created so you can see how the new agents play.

New Skill System
    Agents now get to choose from a selection of skills when they level up. The skills they can choose from are random, but pulled from a list tailored to each agent. In other words, agents are partially defined by what skills they can be presented with when they level up. Our intent is that the agents will have a theme to each of them, but also play a little differently from play session to play session.

The kinds of skills you will find offer attribute bonuses and some passive abilities, such as: a chance disposable items won't be consumed on use.

New XP System
    The new XP system is based around the safes. Each time you see a safe, everyone on the team earns some XP, and when an agent opens a safe they will get an individual boost. Our intent here is to have more incentive for exploration. Also, the previous system was moving towards boring optimal play in that the need to use specific agents for specific tasks was too restricting. We still have some concern of that with the current system, so we will be looking for feedback, as usual.

Change list notes:
    3 new agents.
    2 new starting team setups.
    New skill system (14 skills with 2 tiers each.)
    New XP system
    Some new art and fx here and there
    The action of peeking has been sped up, but the animation does not match yet.

Looking pretty awesome!

I'm keeping this game installed forever. Just need to find time to, ahem, test.

CroakerBC
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    XCOM and Gunpoint are fantastic games, I'm really looking forward to Incognita.

TeeMan
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So, name change. Incognita is now called Invisible, Inc., due to focus testing. Game is the same though.

Kinda weird to throw away all this cachet that the name already earned, but if they think it'll sell more.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Well that's.. I had to actually google this to make sure you were serious :p

That is really weird.

Huh. I liked Incognita but Invisible, Inc. sounds alright I guess.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Elvenshae
    Too much like Stealth, Inc, which is what Stealth Bastard got its name switched to, funnily enough.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Invisible, Inc. is hilarious. More games need to have pun names.

OatsDracomicronElvenshae
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    ...I wasn't saying it in my head. I didn't even notice the pun.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    IoloTeeMan