As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

College Cars

Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm in the market for a car that I can take with me down to college next year and I need something cheep (<$4500) and reliable that can make it back and forth between Seattle and Los Angeles.

I've started looking at late model Hondas and Toyotas because they are known for their reliability, but I'm not really sure of what else is out there.

What do you guys think are some good cars for this purpose IYO? I'm really just trying to get a feel for my options.

signaturebighe7.jpg
Akilae729 on

• Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Toyotas are excellent cars

I have a 2002 Camry that I am about to hit 100k miles with on Monday or so, and the only thing (ONLY thing) that has gone wrong with it so far is an AC relay switch that causes my AC to switch off after a few seconds. A minor part, and it isn't going to cost me more than $100.

My point here is that they tend to not break, and they last for quite a while.

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My mom has a 1993 Camry that's around 240k miles and still running. She doesn't really take care of it, but it won't die. Look into edmunds.com for reliability tests and stuff.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mazda Proteges are pretty reliable, and you could find a decent one for the price you are looking for.

Sentras are always nice.

The Focus is a bad car from what I've read and heard from friends/acquaintances who have had them.

If you're going to and from a lot, you might be better off with a smaller car or a fuel efficient family sedan, like a Camry or Altima. Especially in California, the fuel prices will eat you alive.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have a 1996 Camry with 150K miles on it. On a 15.5ish gallon tank, I can get over 400 miles per tank on the highways averaging 75MPH and just over 300 miles driving to/from work 5 days a week in Los Angeles. "Old Red" also passed the California smog inspection with flying colors. I take pretty good care of her with regular oil changes, tire rotations, whatever the mechanic says I need to do and she hasn't let me down yet.

In other words, Toyota is awesome.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I can get 520 miles to a 17 (well, closer to 16, but no less than 16.4) gallon tank in a 2002 Camry if most of it is on the highway with an average speed of 70-75

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My cousin's 1999 Camry has over 200K miles on it, and has never had a problem. We go from San Francisco to LA and back about 5 or 6 times a year for school breaks, and that 6 hour drive only takes about 2/3 of a tank, if that.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Do you really need a car to begin with? Between parking costs and gas I would think it would be cheaper to just fly several times a year.

khain on
  • Options
    StephenB.2006StephenB.2006 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    VW and Toyota are both renowned for being reliable. VW parts might be expensive if something breaks, though. Try your local craigslist to find a vehicle from a local seller.

StephenB.2006 on
    An object at rest cannot be stopped!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    VW and Toyota are both renowned for being reliable. VW parts might be expensive if something breaks, though. Try your local craigslist to find a vehicle from a local seller.

I have heard nothing but horror stories with Jettas. Passats are solid, but the Jetta and previous Golf models have been on a few auto lists for least reliable.

Volkswagen is one of the most polarizing car manufacturers out there.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Consumer Reports pretty much blasts jettas and golfs. I don't know if you put much stock in what they say. Also VWs are ridiculously expensive for what you get, you won't find a decent one for less than 6k. My vote goes for a civic or accord, my family has a 97 civic coupe that runs like a top.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I have heard nothing but horror stories with Jettas. Passats are solid, but the Jetta and previous Golf models have been on a few auto lists for least reliable.

Volkswagen is one of the most polarizing car manufacturers out there.
    I disagree. My '96 Golf has been going strong for 116k miles. I've had a few complaints (A/C compressor died, ignition coil cracked) but nothing incredibly serious. Plus Volkswagens are one of the easiest cars to maintain. It's great for budding mechanics- to fix and to modify. They're pretty fun cars and they have a rather large community following (VWVortex and VWFixx).

Plus if you go to those web sites, you can find some decent cars/parts for cheap.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Are you going to school in Seattle, or Los Angeles? Which school in LA?

I don't know how much of an object money is. The drive from Seattle - > LA
    A) sucks
    B) costs more in wear + tear on your car + time + gas than flying. It's about a 20 hour drive if you don't stop and there's no traffic in and out of LA on the 405. If you do it by yourself there's no way you can do it all in one go safely.
    I only know cas costs from my MPG; Google maps says it's about 1200 miles. Assuming you get 30 MPG, that's 40 gallons of gas each way. 80 gallons * 3.20 = $256 on gas alone.

You can book a round-trip flight on southwest for less than $200 - probably about $185 or so. I think it takes about 3 hours.

If you were to go for spring break, you would take 4 of your 9 days in driving time, be exhausted, and out $80 dollars.

If you want to just monetarize it,
    $260 for gas
    15 lost hours * min wage, assuming your time isn't valuable (8.25) = ~125
    Food, lodging for a night = ~60

So driving to seattle in lost time + expenses = $420
    Flying = $215 (supershuttle ($15 from campuses) + plane +(185) plus snacks ($15)

Gas = expensive
    Insurance = $~4000 a year.

Also, if you get a cheap car doing that kind of mileage is going to wear it out even quicker. You're best off getting a beater you can leave around LA when you're back home for a week or whatever. Me, I just use flexcar. It's gas + ins + car rental for 8 bucks an hour when I need to do something. It's hard to go out on the town with it in LA because you pay even when it's parked somewhere, but I usually cab to bars, etc. anyway.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Having a car in LA is a luxury that I'm willing to pay for, and i'll probably only be driving it back and forth between LA and Seattle coming home for the summer.

Looking more into it, i'll probably end up with a 1993 ish Honda accord. However, im also looking at these 1994 Volvo 850s. I think they look so nice, but i think that would be a stupid idea, due to expensive repair costs and what not

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Akilae729 wrote: »
    Having a car in LA is a luxury that I'm willing to pay for, and i'll probably only be driving it back and forth between LA and Seattle coming home for the summer.

Looking more into it, i'll probably end up with a 1993 ish Honda accord. However, im also looking at these 1994 Volvo 850s. I think they look so nice, but i think that would be a stupid idea, due to expensive repair costs and what not
    Nothing is too expensive when you do it yourself. In addition to the car, maybe a nice mechanic's tool kit (Sear's has a bunch of options), and a repair manual would be a wonderful investment. Working on your car can prove to be a nice (and, in my case, relaxing [when everything is going well]) hobby.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Not enough love for subaru ITT. Subaru (subarai? Subarus?) hold value forever.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    DirgeDirge Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ive had great luck with my neon. One thing I would recomend is getting a stick. They tend to last longer then automatics

Dirge on
    Your tongues can't repel flavor of that magnitude!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Dirge wrote: »
    Ive had great luck with my neon. One thing I would recomend is getting a stick. They tend to last longer then automatics

I have a neon at home actually (bought for my as my first car), however, can't bring it down as my sister is just learning to drive

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Are you really sure about this idea of driving from Seattle to LA? Seriously, that's a distance that no one person should be forced to drive all at one time. When I was in college the drive to my parents' place was 6.5 hours, and even that was torture. I only went home 2 or 3 times a year but it really adds up. If you drive alone, you're going to face fatigue and drowsiness on the road, which isn't safe.

But since you are looking for recommendations: I have a 2000 Honda Civic that I bought new and put 75k miles on -- I'd recommend it. They're probably around the $5k or less mark at this point.

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Fristle wrote: »
    Are you really sure about this idea of driving from Seattle to LA? Seriously, that's a distance that no one person should be forced to drive all at one time. When I was in college the drive to my parents' place was 6.5 hours, and even that was torture. I only went home 2 or 3 times a year but it really adds up. If you drive alone, you're going to face fatigue and drowsiness on the road, which isn't safe.

But since you are looking for recommendations: I have a 2000 Honda Civic that I bought new and put 75k miles on -- I'd recommend it. They're probably around the $5k or less mark at this point.

I would really only be driving back and forth between Seattle and LA once a year, and I plan to get an internship down in LA next summer anyway.

The more I look at it, the Honda seems like it will be worth the money.

Has anyone had experience with the Volvo 850s?

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I drive a '96 850 Turbo. When I bought it, it had about 115k on it with no major repairs. I'd heartily recommend an 850 in that era, minus the turbo. I had to replace mine at about 125k because oil was leaking into the air intake and it wouldn't pass NJ emissions, to the tune of two grand. That sucked. Apparently it's a pretty common problem, too.

The thing about a Volvo is that they don't break very often, but when they do it's pretty catastrophic.

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fristle wrote: »

Yeah thats what id recommend. I bought a 99 civic last year, nothing but good times driving that car. They go for approximately 5-10k depending on miles/year/condition, but anything under 150k miles should last you well into 300k if you take care of it.

If you want a new car, id recommend a Honda Fit though. I just bought one (pending credit approval tomorrow), and i find them even nicer than the Civic. Better gas mileage, cheaper insurance and way more room inside, surprisingly, for both cargo and passengers (You can fit a fucking couch in one if youre alone). Theyre pretty cheap too and of course you get a warranty.

However, if youre deadset on going used, Civic would be my first choice, hands down. Just make sure no matter what you get, you have someone check it out. As good as civics are, like any car if its abused it will die. And make sure any upcoming maintenance is done before you buy the car. I bought mine at just under 100k, which is the timing belt/water pump change, and unfortunately it wasnt done. Cost me like 450 dollars which i didnt really have to spare at the time. Ask for maintenance records, and if they dont have them, buy from someone else.

Oh, i missed your post above. Yes, volvos are pretty damn good. I had a friend who bought one at 350k miles, it STILL runs strong, and he drove it from Ontario, canada to fucking alabama once a month. I think it only broke down once, and its sitting around 500k miles now. But like typhoid said, when they break, its usually pretty fucking expensive.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you're looking for something reliable, cheap and not a target for car theives, I'd suggest trying to find a newer geo/chevy prizm. They're the exact same car as a toyota corolla of the same year and the resale value on them is much much lower. They're reliable, cheap to fix and good on gas.

wmelon on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My parents decided to get me a new car for going to college, as they were terrified of me driving my old truck for 400 miles. So I got a 2006 Honda Civic. I LOVE that car. Civics are pretty awesome. And mine has built in navigation systems, because I am the worst navigator ever.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    my college car was a 97 ford F-150 that had about 60,000 Miles when I got it. if you have a trruck you will be everyones best friend, because they want to haul shit, which means you can make them fill your tank AND buy you Steak and Shake

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

The Focus is a bad car from what I've read and heard from friends/acquaintances who have had them.

I just wanted to echo this statement. I was condemned to drive a Focus for a year and a half. It was hell.

I've owned 3 VW's in my life, and they were all pretty reliable. Then again, two are Passats, and the third was an 03 Jetta GLI, so that doesn't really help.

VW Diesels are pretty rock solid, but that's out of the OP's price range.

Volvos are a good choice.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    a penguin wrote: »

I just wanted to echo this statement. I was condemned to drive a Focus for a year and a half. It was hell.

I've owned 3 VW's in my life, and they were all pretty reliable. Then again, two are Passats, and the third was an 03 Jetta GLI, so that doesn't really help.

I have no prior experience, but I've heard that VW diesels are insanely reliable. A 1985-1992 diesel should run about your price range and you can do biodiesel and save the environment (and a little cash).

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    msuitepyon wrote: »

I have no prior experience, but I've heard that VW diesels are insanely reliable. A 1985-1992 diesel should run about your price range and you can do biodiesel and save the environment (and a little cash).

A 20 year old car is not a worthwhile investment for the average consumer.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

It's possible, although highly improbable, that my one Focus is the anomaly here. It's a 2000 and about to hit 200,000 miles. It has been a very solid car and incredibly reliable. The only thing that has been replaced is the water pump. Everything else is 100% original. I beat the stuffing out of it, as the only reason I have it is to keep miles off my Impala. I could not be more pleased with the little car.

When buying a used car, it's not about who makes it. It all comes down to how the vehicle has been maintained. Any vehicle that has been properly taken care of should do you well; as long as you keep up that maintenance yourself.

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As with the above, my friend had a focus that he loved until some asshole rammed him, resulting in the car getting totaled.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I have a few friends that drive focuses (one guy for his job) and I've been told to avoid them like the plauge.

More and more my heart is being set on the Volvo, I think they are soooooo nice.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    redimpulse wrote: »

It's possible, although highly improbable, that my one Focus is the anomaly here. It's a 2000 and about to hit 200,000 miles. It has been a very solid car and incredibly reliable. The only thing that has been replaced is the water pump. Everything else is 100% original. I beat the stuffing out of it, as the only reason I have it is to keep miles off my Impala. I could not be more pleased with the little car.

When buying a used car, it's not about who makes it. It all comes down to how the vehicle has been maintained. Any vehicle that has been properly taken care of should do you well; as long as you keep up that maintenance yourself.

I would say that you're an anomly only because your Focus is a 2000. That was the first year, and is the worst. Mine was a 2000 as well.

I know I can't speak for every focus made when bitch about mine. Prior treatment is indeed key.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    redimpulse wrote: »

Granted My focus is an 06, so it is brand new, but it survived a trip to indianapolis and back, and I have had zero problems in the year I have owned the vehicle. Before that Mrs Arbiter drove a Focus as well and she had no problems

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983