As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Grand Theft Auto V - The Buena Vista Social

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    It is weird playing the game and going "been there, and there, and there".

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I had that in GTA4. Since I was living in Brooklyn while playing it, and the game started in Russian Brooklyn, I would drive to the games' copy of Grand Army Plaza and pass by the Brooklyn Museum, which put me a block from where I lived, It wasn't perfect at all, but it was still weird.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

I had that in GTA4. Since I was living in Brooklyn while playing it, and the game started in Russian Brooklyn, I would drive to the games' copy of Grand Army Plaza and pass by the Brooklyn Museum, which put me a block from where I lived, It wasn't perfect at all, but it was still weird.

Had that experience too (grew up in NY, college in Los Angeles). The one building I have the weirdest reaction to is the big mall in the game's equivalent of Beverly Hills, mainly because the Hard Rock Cafe there is where I celebrated my 21st birthday in real life.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    We're online!

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Technically.

The Social Club is even more fucked than usual, but I'll keep trying.

• Options
    Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular
    WTF? Spending more time partying will increase my stealth ability?

Is my character partying with ninjas?

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    WTF? Spending more time partying will increase my stealth ability?

Is my character partying with ninjas?

You're forgotting that 75% of the map is rural America. If you're going partying, it's gonna wrap with some cow-tipping.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Has anyone actually managed to get online yet?

I've been sat here "Launching Session" for the last 5 minutes and I can't get back to single player without restarting the console.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I was gonna ask: how fucked is multiplayer right now? Pretty fucked, I guess.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I got to make my preppy douchebag of a character (named Ron Forster) and then got immediately kicked into Story Mode.

It was an exciting five minutes of GTA:Online.

• Options
    I don't think there even is a GTA: Online.

This is just the world's most epic troll.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    The amazing thing is that they actually know how many copies of GTA might possibly try to get online.

They know their capacity need.

And yet it's still fucked up. How? How does this always happen?!?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    The amazing thing is that they actually know how many copies of GTA might possibly try to get online.

They even had what amounts to a dry run through all the Social Network-connected stuff (like pictures).

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    someone let me know if they get it to work

i ain't reactivated my gold subscrip and am gonna wait till it works to do so

poo
  • Options

i suspect that companies tend to go with underestimating server loads for big launches, because purchasing more than you need can lose you a lot of money, and letting a launch have some hiccups (or, i guess, full-body seizures and blackouts) is considered acceptable these days, so why not buy less and then scale up?

it could also be that they know how much load will be on their server/network, but without actually seeing it happen, they don't know what the consequences of that load will be (what will fail first, how the network will be overwhelmed, how it will handle so much traffic). so they have to make their adjustments and optimizations after it happens.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    What was the last massive title with a technically successful online launch? Was there ever one?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

Unfortunately they were unable to complete the application that parsed integers entered into it (in this case copies of GTA) and spit out how many servers to buy.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Is anyone designing a proper emblem? The social club's been fucked for me recently

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    fyi i did manage to play for a little bit before i got timed out

it workdz

poo
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Stuck loading a race I have no interest in listening to some fuckers open mic I can't mute

Fun

Oh well I'll try again Thursday

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    @eddy

my gamertag is Travysty. i would have played tonight, but I was playing Street Fighter and Netrunner with some buddies here.

well, i would have tried to play tonight.

• Options
    I got in. The mandatory tutorial is kind of annoying. Got a cool character out of the black magic creator. Pop-in is crazy and it's super noticeable how fewer pedestrians and cars there are driving around. Hopefully playing with other people will make that easier to swallow.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Heads up nerds, word from the G&T thread is that some people are getting save game corruptions from attempting (and failing) to get into the Online, so be wary. Maybe leave it a few more days til the servers stop imploding.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I logged in tonight around 12:30am central. That went much more smoothly.

Interestingly, I was given the option to respec my guy's appearance and stats. My second effort yielded much better results. I wonder if there was something wrong that was making everyone look like meth-heads, or if I just got lucky? I also have no idea why the respec was offered, or if everyone gets it, or what.

• Options
    @jacobkosh

thanks for inviting me to that one game for some reason that worked, but when i tried to join a random job it timed out

i ordered a new cable for my mic so i will be able to talk again

sadly i wont be able to use my xbox from thursday night - monday night as i am away and everyone will be 10 million ranks higher than me

poo
  • Options
    @jacobkosh

thanks for inviting me to that one game for some reason that worked,

that's good!
    but when i tried to join a random job it timed out

that's bad
    i ordered a new cable for my mic so i will be able to talk again

that's good!
    sadly i wont be able to use my xbox from thursday night - monday night as i am away

that's bad

• Options
    it seems like the two big technical issues in GTAO are getting into online in the first place (at least for many people; after the very first morning I have had no problems on that front) and getting trapped in endlessly loading job queues. If you're in free roam and just hang around in free roam everything seems to be golden.

• Options
    Ya I've had no issues with free roam

poo
  • Options
    I'm gonna attempt to play at 6:30 PM ET. Best of luck to me.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    i will try and be home to play with you

tho i won't be able to voice chat because i can't find the cable in my mess of a room

poo
  • Options
    So apparently snap aim is enabled in multiplayer?

That almost kills my interest. I was looking forward to fun, zany gunfights with other people, but the snap aim in this game is absurdly accurate and seems like it would make shootouts between players really dumb.

• Options
    If anything cover just enhances the effectiveness of snap aim, because you have narrow windows of time to get your cursor on someone and fire

Clearly all gun battles will have to be fought in vehicles, preferably in the form of shotgun jousting while riding dirt bikes off sweet jumps.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If anything cover just enhances the effectiveness of snap aim, because you have narrow windows of time to get your cursor on someone and fire

Clearly all gun battles will have to be fought in vehicles, preferably in the form of shotgun jousting while riding dirt bikes off sweet jumps.

Wait. That's not how you do it in single player?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    @eddy i tried to edit your logo and put a bear in the driver seat giving a black power fist

poo
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I had no luck connecting. I could create a character (whose lips are always moving) but got stuck loading the race. After the second time I gave up

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    is there any way to make my gtao character not look like Liv Tyler's uglier sister with Cushing's disease?

Reporting here

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I get home in 30. Who's up for a game?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

Although, that could mean that the more organised crew will outflank the crew that doesn't communicate. Once you're in cover, there's a tendency to concentrate on what's directly opposite that cover.