Options

[Industry] And with strange fiscal quarters, even death is doomed.

19495969798100»

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I'm sure it's the minority but growing up my dad only bought COD and Medal of Honor for the campaigns and continues to this day to buy them and never touch the multiplayer. I remember he called back when Bad Company 2: Vietnam came out and couldn't figure out how to get to the campaign mode. So there's definitely a market for the single player sides of these games.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    I'm sure it's the minority but growing up my dad only bought COD and Medal of Honor for the campaigns and continues to this day to buy them and never touch the multiplayer. I remember he called back when Bad Company 2: Vietnam came out and couldn't figure out how to get to the campaign mode. So there's definitely a market for the single player sides of these games.

There always will be a huge market for Single player FPS style games. My argument is that for today, an FPS game has to clearly decide from the offset if it wants to be focused on single player or multiplayer, unless you are one of the major publishers (and even then they cut heavily the single player down to practically tech demos).

Even a game series like Bioshock the developers dropped the multiplayer modes from Infinite because from a financial point of view creating a multiplayer mode in addition to its focused single player game would have been a costly waste. Looking back to games like Metroid Prime 2, where critics argued that the time taken making a tacked on multiplayer mode could have been used to refine its single player for which audiences ultimatly came to play.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RULv6HbgEjY

I always liked this video for some reason.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Playing through Halo with my n
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »

There always will be a huge market for Single player FPS style games. My argument is that for today, an FPS game has to clearly decide from the offset if it wants to be focused on single player or multiplayer, unless you are one of the major publishers (and even then they cut heavily the single player down to practically tech demos).

Even a game series like Bioshock the developers dropped the multiplayer modes from Infinite because from a financial point of view creating a multiplayer mode in addition to its focused single player game would have been a costly waste. Looking back to games like Metroid Prime 2, where critics argued that the time taken making a tacked on multiplayer mode could have been used to refine its single player for which audiences ultimatly came to play.

Holy shit.

I never even realized there was multiplayer in that game.

Minding from what I have seen of Battlefield 4s Single Player, it could very well have not been there with no overall degradation to the quality of that product.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ...meanwhile, stuff continues to happen in industryland.

People Can Fly has been renamed "Epic Games Poland." They're apparently one of "multiple studios working on Fortnite, which either means the game's in trouble or it's going to be much bigger than we thought.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/01/epic-games-poland-formerly-people-can-fly-takes-a-crack-at-for/

And Nintendo abruptly shut down Swapnote for 3DS Friday, saying this:
    Nintendo has learned that some consumers, including minors, have been exchanging their friend codes on Internet bulletin boards and then using Swapnote (known as Nintendo Letter Box in other regions) to exchange offensive material. Nintendo has been investigating ways of preventing this and determined it is best to stop the SpotPass feature of Swapnote because it allows direct exchange of photos and was actively misused.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/31/nintendo-shuts-down-spotpass-features-for-swapnote-on-3ds/

Wonder what happened or who threatened to sue.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, I completely forgot about Fortnite... Hell, I forgot about Epic after Judgment came out and was a big pile of meh and they lost pretty much all of face men. (Well, besides Mark "I really need to stop talking" Rein and Tim Sweeny.)

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Is this the first word we've had on Fortnite in a long while? I'd begun to suspect it was going to dwindle off into development hell.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Someone go make a new thread

Geth, close the thread

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Rorus Raz. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.