Options

[Industry] And with strange fiscal quarters, even death is doomed.

• Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    Those numbers come purely from install base, I'd think.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Well its $49.99, but I guess people thought a $49.00 mark up was too much for just 20 new levels and multiplayer.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised by the low sales of the Angry Birds game on the WiiU. It seems like the tablet would be the best way to play the game... Although I guess at that point many people have the game on various tablets already... And it's less than $60.

It sold pretty well on the 3DS, but it doesn't surprise me at the crappy sales. I mean, every device and it's uncle has Angry Birds on it. Why pay full price for a game that you probably have on ten other devices.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    Lost Planet only had 4 days as well. Still a bomb when Capcom estimated 1.2 MILLION in sales for that title.

Other numbers more fleshed out from GAF

-WiiU was around 32K
    -Vita almost beat WiiU
    -The Pikmin total of 115k given by Nintendo includes digital, but over 100k went at retail.
    -Disney Infinity sold only about 16% of its 275k total on WiiU. Wii 25%. 360 was top platform
    -Tales of Xilia > 100K
    -Angry Birds WiiU sold less than 1500 copies
    -Killer is Dead sold less than 15k
    -Splinter Cell sold 300k, 70% on 360, 1.6% on WiiU.
    -Ouya sold 4K, Shield < 2k

Well then, maybe Capcom should have promoted Lost Planet more/at all.

Also, would have thought the Splinter Cell split would have been better on the consoles instead of seemingly ALL 360. No PS3? No PC?

NPD doesn't track digital sales, which I imagine is where 99% of PC sales went for SC. So that's like 28% on PS3, 70% on 360, and 1.6% on WiiU.

Goodbye Ubisoft support for WiiU, that's a remarkably low total, like...under 5k copies sold. They can't keep pumping resources into development when they're selling those types of numbers on one of their top 5 properties.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Sagroth wrote: »
    My god, the Xbox 360 version of Minecraft is STILL charting that well?

Insane.

Conversation with my sister in law:

Her: "Your nephew is driving me crazy. He talks about minecraft all the time and wants me to watch 30 minute youtube videos of grown men playing it."

Me: "It can't be that bad."

In the event, the whole 4 hour ride back to my house consisted of him chattering on about minecraft.

The appeal of minecraft was apparent to me from the beginning. That it would appeal to 8 year olds, did not occur to me.

I would be seriously interested in the sales of the iPad version if anyone has heard.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Lost Planet only had 4 days as well. Still a bomb when Capcom estimated 1.2 MILLION in sales for that title.

Other numbers more fleshed out from GAF

-WiiU was around 32K
    -Vita almost beat WiiU
    -The Pikmin total of 115k given by Nintendo includes digital, but over 100k went at retail.
    -Disney Infinity sold only about 16% of its 275k total on WiiU. Wii 25%. 360 was top platform
    -Tales of Xilia > 100K
    -Angry Birds WiiU sold less than 1500 copies
    -Killer is Dead sold less than 15k
    -Splinter Cell sold 300k, 70% on 360, 1.6% on WiiU.
    -Ouya sold 4K, Shield < 2k

Well then, maybe Capcom should have promoted Lost Planet more/at all.

Also, would have thought the Splinter Cell split would have been better on the consoles instead of seemingly ALL 360. No PS3? No PC?

NPD doesn't track digital sales, which I imagine is where 99% of PC sales went for SC. So that's like 28% on PS3, 70% on 360, and 1.6% on WiiU.

Goodbye Ubisoft support for WiiU, that's a remarkably low total, like...under 5k copies sold. They can't keep pumping resources into development when they're selling those types of numbers on one of their top 5 properties.

Doesn't help that they keep chopping things out. I would have bought it but the lack of co-op is a dealbreaker for me.

• Options

Insane.

Her: "Your nephew is driving me crazy. He talks about minecraft all the time and wants me to watch 30 minute youtube videos of grown men playing it."

In the event, the whole 4 hour ride back to my house consisted of him chattering on about minecraft.

The appeal of minecraft was apparent to me from the beginning. That it would appeal to 8 year olds, did not occur to me.

I would be seriously interested in the sales of the iPad version if anyone has heard.

Exact same conversation happens with my coworker's son. If he gets grounded he'll go upstairs and watch minecraft videos all day. He talks about it while they're eating dinner or watching TV.

I don't understaaaand.

• Options
    Minecraft is one of those all consuming games. Anyone who knows anyone under 10 whose played it knows that it becomes their entire lives.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

Insane.

Exact same conversation happens with my coworker's son. If he gets grounded he'll go upstairs and watch minecraft videos all day. He talks about it while they're eating dinner or watching TV.

I don't understaaaand.

That's not a very good grounding.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options

Insane.

I don't understaaaand.

That's not a very good grounding.

Yeah he'll take their cell phones/tablets/etc.

Minecraft is a beast.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Minecraft is basically digital Lego and when I was little I would drive you insane with talk about Lego. Minecraft would have been so good to have when I was that age, but my parents wouldn't have been able to get through it.

Hopefully lowly cooks nephew isn't watching the roosterteeth guys if that's who he is talking about, they are not exactly safe for young people with their particular... Conversations.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Minecraft is one of those all consuming games. Anyone who knows anyone under 10 whose played it knows that it becomes their entire lives.

You've clearly never been to the minecraft thread.. Its anyone with a pulse. It will consume them.

Re its success on Xbox could be helped along by roosterteeths weekly let's play of it since shortly after it was released

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    The most popular Minecraft youtubers are probably the yogscast, which aren't particularly suitable for kids...

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Minecraft is actually the game Nintendo should be fighting tooth and nail to get onto their console.

• Options
    I never got the argument that Minecraft is digital Lego.

I can touch Lego. That already makes it better than Minecraft in every conceivable way.

Though I say this as a guy who doesn't "Get" Minecraft.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Yeah I don't get why Nintendo isn't beating the door down for that game to be on 3DS or WiiU. Sony got it at launch for their PS4 and it'll be top 10 there for a long time as well, mark my words.

• Options
    Because they've never really been the kind of company to money hat a company for a game. Let alone a game that exists almost everywhere else.

• Options
    Yeah but this is pretty much a once-every-ten-years phenomenon, they'd do we'll to spend a little cash and make it back in spades. It's not like they'd pay for a version to be developed and then never see a dime, the game will sell millions across their eshop and retail releases.

Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

I can touch Lego. That already makes it better than Minecraft in every conceivable way.

The key word there is DIGITAL.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Because they've never really been the kind of company to money hat a company for a game. Let alone a game that exists almost everywhere else.

And maybe that's why they're selling a whole 30,000 units of their console a month.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Hi Industry thread. I wanted to talk about this back when the story broke, but here we go anyways. Ubisoft recently announced two new games, that are rather far afield from their normal fare. Valiant Hearts, a hand drawn style adventure game set in WWI, and Child of Light, a hand drawn style JRPG game influenced by Journey. I find these both pretty interesting coming from Ubi, its cool they're willing to experiment with some low-budget arty games. I'm curious if its something driven out of the desire to root around for a new avenue of income and to secure their future beyond releasing Asscreed over and over, or if its something coming from above that are specifically pet projects for some of the creative heads at Ubi who have enough sway to do small projects they really want to do.

The company as a whole seems to have a fresh plan for the next gen though, again, I don't know if its entirely out of a desire to be innovative. They have a moba-like coming out called ENDWAR, a War-Z-a-like in The Division, and The Crew's attempt to restart the arcade driving genre. I think they're definitely one of the companies to watch in the next year or two. I sincerely hope all their experiments go well, and that reality doesn't burn them too badly.

In other news The Capcom lady says, send in more trains DLC.
    Capcom revenue climbed by the millions this fiscal year, rising from ¥82 billion ($820 million) to ¥94 billion ($940 million) in revenue according to the publisher's full year financial results for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013.

This is despite a lack of results from the company's increased efforts in digital returns, alongside a number of games that failed to meet sales targets. Capcom's Digital Contents Business, a sector made up of console, Windows PC and mobile titles, saw profits fall by over 50 percent. Even more significantly, this arm of the company accounts for just over 67 percent of its total income.

Similarly, only three of Capcom's software releases reached over 1 million units in sales. DmC: Devil May Cry saw sales of 1.15 million, failing to reach its expected sales of 2 million units. Resident Evil 6 missed its target of 7 million units, selling only 4.9 million instead, while Dragon's Dogma showed success on consoles with 1.3 million units sold.
    [...]
    "I regret to say that, up to now, we had few plans for the full-scale implementation of DLC. From here on out, we need to focus on the long-term provision of content starting at the earliest stages of development," he said.

"Furthermore, in terms of user response, if the additional related content we are providing continually to users online is deemed uninteresting from the start, there will be no ongoing business to pursue. This means that, more than ever before, the creation of underlying content is the key to success."

• Options
    To distill it down, Ubisoft has the money to do little things like that. Apparently, after Blood Dragon did well, there was a corporate push to get more "out there" downloadable titles to market. And they still port everything to anything with a screen, so hopefully everyone wins?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

And maybe that's why they're selling a whole 30,000 units of their console a month.

Probably. But do you think money hatting Minecraft will push units?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

At this point, literally anything will help.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hi Industry thread. I wanted to talk about this back when the story broke, but here we go anyways. Ubisoft recently announced two new games, that are rather far afield from their normal fare. Valiant Hearts, a hand drawn style adventure game set in WWI, and Child of Light, a hand drawn style JRPG game influenced by Journey. I find these both pretty interesting coming from Ubi, its cool they're willing to experiment with some low-budget arty games. I'm curious if its something driven out of the desire to root around for a new avenue of income and to secure their future beyond releasing Asscreed over and over, or if its something coming from above that are specifically pet projects for some of the creative heads at Ubi who have enough sway to do small projects they really want to do.

The company as a whole seems to have a fresh plan for the next gen though, again, I don't know if its entirely out of a desire to be innovative. They have a moba-like coming out called ENDWAR, a War-Z-a-like in The Division, and The Crew's attempt to restart the arcade driving genre. I think they're definitely one of the companies to watch in the next year or two. I sincerely hope all their experiments go well, and that reality doesn't burn them too badly.

In other news The Capcom lady says, send in more trains DLC.
    Capcom revenue climbed by the millions this fiscal year, rising from ¥82 billion ($820 million) to ¥94 billion ($940 million) in revenue according to the publisher's full year financial results for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013.

This is despite a lack of results from the company's increased efforts in digital returns, alongside a number of games that failed to meet sales targets. Capcom's Digital Contents Business, a sector made up of console, Windows PC and mobile titles, saw profits fall by over 50 percent. Even more significantly, this arm of the company accounts for just over 67 percent of its total income.

Similarly, only three of Capcom's software releases reached over 1 million units in sales. DmC: Devil May Cry saw sales of 1.15 million, failing to reach its expected sales of 2 million units. Resident Evil 6 missed its target of 7 million units, selling only 4.9 million instead, while Dragon's Dogma showed success on consoles with 1.3 million units sold.
    [...]
    "I regret to say that, up to now, we had few plans for the full-scale implementation of DLC. From here on out, we need to focus on the long-term provision of content starting at the earliest stages of development," he said.

"Furthermore, in terms of user response, if the additional related content we are providing continually to users online is deemed uninteresting from the start, there will be no ongoing business to pursue. This means that, more than ever before, the creation of underlying content is the key to success."

Oh Capcom...do you even know what you're doing anymore...

• Options
    I'd prefer it if they would toss money at other places, not Minecraft. But that's the selfish person in me.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    To distill it down, Ubisoft has the money to do little things like that. Apparently, after Blood Dragon did well, there was a corporate push to get more "out there" downloadable titles to market. And they still port everything to anything with a screen, so hopefully everyone wins?

Indeed, I hope that turns out to be the case. I find it very interesting that Actvision has yet to take the same tack. I guess they feel more comfortable betting the farm on Skylanders[?], CoD, and Destiny. I would think now would be the time to be pumping out smaller D/l titles for the next-gen, to send them out into the drought of games in the early cycle.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options

Indeed, I hope that turns out to be the case. I find it very interesting that Actvision has yet to take the same tack. I guess they feel more comfortable betting the farm on Skylanders[?], CoD, and Destiny. I would think now would be the time to be pumping out smaller D/l titles for the next-gen, to send them out into the drought of games in the early cycle.

Activision has been blatant about their desire to "exploit" a game series until all that remains is a desiccated husk where a brand name used to be. Instead of diversifying, they want to have heavy hitters all the time: there's no such thing as a tentpole release when there's nothing to "prop up". Activision has no intention of even pretending to want to be diverse or not evil/money grubbing/successful.

steam_sig.png

• Options

I really, honestly do. I honestly think that getting Minecraft onto the Wii U will push more than absolutely any other game they could possibly release.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

I really, honestly do. I honestly think that getting Minecraft onto the Wii U will push more than absolutely any other game they could possibly release.

I think it just sounds silly and counter-intuitive to people, me included. Minecraft is on... let's check the ol wiki...

Windows, Mac, and Linux
    Android
    iOS
    Xbox 360
    Raspberry Pi
    PlayStation 4

In short, if you want to play Minecraft, you can, and very likely already own a device to do it on. How large a number of people are going "I really want to play Minecraft! If only they would release a Wii U version, I would totally buy a system for it!"?

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I thought the same thing when it was announced for the 360, yet here we are.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Though I say this as a guy who doesn't "Get" Minecraft.

You're not alone, Minecraft is too tedious for me to play (it's still fun, but building anything of worth--a defensive wall around a village, a monumental tower, whatever--is boring).

Watching other people play Minecraft, and do all the work and planning, is fun as hell.

I think it just sounds silly and counter-intuitive to people, me included. Minecraft is on... let's check the ol wiki...

Windows, Mac, and Linux
    Android
    iOS
    Xbox 360
    Xbox One
    Raspberry Pi
    PlayStation 4

In short, if you want to play Minecraft, you can, and very likely already own a device to do it on. How large a number of people are going "I really want to play Minecraft! If only they would release a Wii U version, I would totally buy a system for it!"?

Fix'd (as it will be on the PS4 around the same time). I don't disagree in principle, really, the magic bullet would be Minecraft on Wii (or more accurately, on the 3DS perhaps?), and it doesn't seem either of those things are possible.

• Options
    I thought the same thing when it was announced for the 360, yet here we are.

Is it actually pushing 360 units though? I mean it's selling, but are people buying a 360 for the ability to play the game?

• Options
    Plus, look at this from the future perspective. When someone is deciding to buy a console for their kid (a very big demographic for Nintendo, at least historically) Minecraft is going to be one of the games, if not the game, they look for. Their kid is obsessed with Minecraft. They play it constantly, watch videos about it when they can't play, and talk about it when they can do neither. Are they going to lean towards one of the options that has Minecraft (PS4 or Xbox One) or the one platform that doesn't have Minecraft? For many, many parents the lack of Minecraft will make the Wii U an automatic no go.

Minecraft may not necessarily sell consoles, but a lack of Minecraft will most certainly keep people away.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yay, thread's back!

So, NPD stuff. Pikmin 3 did well, but it wasn't a system-seller for Wii U.

Vita's price drop barely pushed sales from 20,000 per month to nearly 30,000 per month.

Ubisoft's art initiatives are damned groovy and something most AAA publishers wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole. The story of five people in World War I, connected only by a service dog, done in a crazy european art style? Yes please.

DmC and Resident Evil 6 are certified disappointments. And in RE6's case, we've got a game that sold five million and STILL didn't meet expectations.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well...looking back on those two.

DmC was actually a pretty good game. But it was kind of the victim of fan backlash and bad marketing. Shame really.

RE6...had problems...a lot. Its basically like they don't know what to do with the series ever since Mikami left. If anything they should be glad it sold that much.

Then you got Lost Planet 3 which is doing horribly.

Honestly, at this point I think it might be time for these Japanese devs to stop trying to ape the content of Western games and go back to doing their own thing.

• Options
    The whole point of DmC was giving it to a British studio to see if it worked. It did, but gamers are generally assholes.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Hooray for Saints Row 4 and Disney Infinity! This is probably the only time you'll see those games mentioned at the same time.

Is there any way to track the sales of figures and other assorted doo-dads for Infinity? I'd be interested to see how much money that's pulled in overall.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yeah. Like...my problem is moreso with RE6 and Lost Planet 3.

RE6 issues come strictly from the quality of the game itself. For a AAA it just felt pretty amateurish in a lot of respects. Not to mention it shows that they do not have a good grasp of why people like RE4 so much.

Lost Planet 3 is probably good in some regards, but its a generic TPS in a market oversaturated with generic TPS/FPSes.

Yet, it just seems like for some reason CEOs cannot grasp these simple concepts.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I really think it's possible DmC would have sold a lot better if it weren't for that shittacular, grimdark, anorexic emo 40-year-old game designer Dante reveal trailer.

And I'm still looking for conformation that the dude who made himself Dante got yanked from being director in favor of a Japanese guy at Capcom, because that's sure what it's looking like.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
This discussion has been closed.