As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Space Engineers] Sandboxy space construction, out now on Steam Early Access!

• the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ship drills collect ores automatically...

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    If you're tired of that Newtonian crap stealing all your rogue ore chunks just build a small (large) ship with a big ore catching mouth on the front and a gravity generator below the collector. Just park that shit "below" your mining operation and anything your mining drill doesn't catch will fall into that...plus you can use it to dump ore out of the drills when they're full so you can keep on mining the day away.

I like to use a big carrier ship made mostly of large cargo containers, with a small mining ship stuck on top to be deployed when needed. Drive the big daddy out there, point the gravity fields at the desired ore deposit, undock the digger, and get to work. Easy peasy.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    the cheat wrote: »
    ship drills collect ores automatically...

I know I know, but it would be a nice QoL thing for going out on foot.

• lirelentlirelent Registered User regular
    this game does look interesting, have you folks set up a server you tend to play on, or do you organize games in the vent server?

Geth
  • Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    I wish there was a server :(

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    @Takel why isn't there a server?

Edit: I actually haven't played this much yet. I have it installed, and want to give it a go and then I get distracted by things

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
    is there a standalone server mode? or a server binary you can download? Also hi thar @Radiation‌

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    lirelent wrote: »
    is there a standalone server mode? or a server binary you can download? Also hi thar @Radiation‌

There's a DedicatedServer or DedicatedServer64 and the SpaceEngineersDedicated.exe in those two folders launches a gui for a server instance. Decently straightforward and there's some tutorials online.

Still no whitelist or password protection that I've seen yet. I did manage to make a server private by setting up a Steam group and setting the server to only allow users of that group to connect. It worked, but not very well, the two friends that connected could only get in once I added them as Server Admins.

steam_sig.png
  • Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    I think you can set it up so only Friends can get in, so that would limit it to your Steam friends.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I know you can set up a game as friends only and let players connect to that game. But that's only running as long as the space engineers game is.

There is a setting in the server config file to change online mode (defaults to Public), I'd assume that's where you can change it to friends only or private. I'd not been able to play with it and I discounted it as an option because I read one or two pages online saying that setting wasn't really working. Without more friends* to experiment on, I resorted to the solution above.

*friends playing Space Engineers.

steam_sig.png
  • Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    There are commercial dedicated servers now, although I have no idea if they are any good or not.

http://www.spaceengineerswiki.com/Dedicated_Servers seems pretty straight forward to me, I might play around with that see if my apt server can stand up to it.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Oh God. I just discovered this.

Oh GOD.

If I knew anything about servers I would try to set one up, because this is right up my alley. I'd do stuff in single player, but I'd end up building a carrier with a full bay of fighters and just be sad that I'm the only pilot around to use all of the spaceships.

With Love and Courage
    Does anyone know if / how to pan the camera? Rotating it is all well & good, but I need to know how to pan it down the hull of my long ass mining ship to position the drill heads over the ores I want. :|

With Love and Courage
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    I just started playing this with some friends on a dedicated group restricted server if anyone is interested in joining. I and a couple others are noobs and just got our bearings last night and we're going to restart it tonight without any of that premade stuff.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • downerdowner Registered User regular
    I just started playing this with some friends on a dedicated group restricted server if anyone is interested in joining. I and a couple others are noobs and just got our bearings last night and we're going to restart it tonight without any of that premade stuff.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

This game is pretty great. Broncbuster and I have been pretty active lately on his server. We could always use more bodies to feed us iron ore..

Broncbuster
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I might get on again tomorrow night. I actually managed to finish my little ship last before logging last time I was on.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Man, I tried to boot this up yesterday after months away, and I have no fucking idea what I'm doing any more. Couldn't even figure out how to equip my tools....

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    @Broncbuster I may have spent 7000+ of your steel plates trying to build a carrier and only got one quarter of the way through one launch/land bay.

On the plus side, my Honeybee MkII is quite capable of mining plenty more iron ore to eventually make up the difference!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    @Broncbuster I may have spent 7000+ of your steel plates trying to build a carrier and only got one quarter of the way through one launch/land bay.

On the plus side, my Honeybee MkII is quite capable of mining plenty more iron ore to eventually make up the difference!

Also, I made a contraption. This contraption can harvest massive amounts of ore with very little effort from me. Lets just say I donated another 7k plates to Ianator's cause, and still have plenty of iron left.

Man, I tried to boot this up yesterday after months away, and I have no fucking idea what I'm doing any more. Couldn't even figure out how to equip my tools....
    Feel free to get the server info from Broncbuster and join up with us sometime. I'm sure any of us would be willing to help.

Also, @Ianator have you seen the merge block? Looks like it will help with that modular build you were planning on doing.

youtu.be/cEqRgWWzrZA?t=1m31s

That is exactly what I had in mind.

Looks like I'm building the Honeybee MkIII tonight!

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Is it just me or is it strangely difficult to get the first bit of juice into a ship powered solely by batteries?.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    After some spectacular failures, I'll be scrapping my current 'Asteroid Destroyer' mining rig. I played around in creative for a bit with a more stable design using pistons to drive the drills into the asteroid.

Also, I figured out an easier way to dispose of unwanted stone @Broncbuster‌; Build a connected cargo contained onto whatever ship the stone is in and transfer all of the stone into the container. Then pull out your grinder and destroy the container. I successfully ditched 200k+ stone using this method. :)

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Haha, they added the Fighter Cockpit to the base game!

Best patch ever.

With Love and Courage
    So I completed my piston driven mining platform in creative, hope to build it on the server tonight.

Here it is before being deployed:
    db9c1597n6rv.jpg

Here it is fully deployed:
    p9ylmwqc52c4.jpg

And the spoils of a <5 minute drill:
    t6ayoaq9sari.jpg

ZeroczElvenshae
    and then all that flew off into space. Since the server is governed by a steam group I think it gets all fucked when the steam service gets weird or goes down, like right now. I can get on it via LAN but it's not acting normal.

steam_sig.png
    and then all that flew off into space. Since the server is governed by a steam group I think it gets all fucked when the steam service gets weird or goes down, like right now. I can get on it via LAN but it's not acting normal.

Yeah, it failed spectacularly and nearly completely destroyed my welding/grinding ship (taking a lot of building components with it). I wish I had been recording or something.. At least when the remaining husk of the ship spiraled off uncontrollably into space with Bronc inside.

I also couldn't connect to the server again last night until Steam services came back up.

Ianator wrote: »

omg, finally watched this....Modular ships...this...this means....
    1546653-lionvoltron_11_15_06.jpg

Batten down the hatches @downer‌

steam_sig.png
    ElvenshaeIanatorBloody Jackdowner
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    @Broncbuster Is there room on your server for another player? I'm interested in trying to play this with other people.

With Love and Courage
    edited September 2014
    ...This game is going to break me.

The current cycle:

- I spend 8 hours building a gorgeous starfighter.
    - I fly starfighter to a military NPc ship to try and pirate it.
    - gorgeous starfighter is blown to pieces.
    - I spend 8 hours building a new starfighter, having lost all previous progress in a 'fight' that lasted about 5 seconds.
    - I fly starfighter to a military NPC ship to try and--
    - BOOM!
    - FFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

After I get some sleep, I am going to build a dedicated anti-civilian starfighter to farm materials. Then I am going to build a LAWL GET FUKD SCRUB capital ship and I am going to wreck the SHIT out of every military NPC ever.

EDIT: It's important to note than 8 hours is not an exaggeration. It's takes a serious investment in time to make stuff in this game.

I am not sure if I love or hate this dynamic right now.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    Elvenshae
    dgfnklgnfjkghdnfjkgndjklgf

Missile launchers on small craft in this game are infuriating. I guess the devs didn't get the memo that any modern ordnance has a fucking arming safety on it to prevent it from exploding as soon as it exits the launcher?

Are there any mods out there to make these things actually usable? I've been searching the Steam Workshop up and down, but haven't been able to find one. :(

With Love and Courage
    Alright; I've got my first successful little raider. The Smash'N'Grab.

smashngrab2.jpg

...How successful is it?

smashngrab3.jpg

I've got enough materials to play around with for a little while.

With Love and Courage
    IanatorBloody Jack
    The Ender wrote: »
    @Broncbuster Is there room on your server for another player? I'm interested in trying to play this with other people.

Sure. I will get you squared away later today when I'm back from Boston. Shoot me a friend request.

steam_sig.png
    Sent you friend request.

Steam ID is 'kevinrbrown'

With Love and Courage
    Broncbuster
  • Ra's Al PearceRa's Al Pearce "When im in command, every mission is a suicide mission!" - Zap Brannigan Registered User regular
    Hey, I am new-ish to this game. I'd be interested in playing with a group. Do you guys have room on your server still? My Steam ID is "Black Sheep Actual" - from Canada.

Man.

Lame update today. :|

With Love and Courage
    The Ender wrote: »
    Man.

Lame update today. :|

If it lets me make disposable fighters quick, I'd say its pretty great.

steam_sig.png