As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Space Engineers] Sandboxy space construction, out now on Steam Early Access!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Okay, so I bought this a long time ago right when it came out on early access, and basically played for about 5 minutes before putting it away.

I loaded it up, and I have almost no idea what I'm doing. I picked the Lone Survivor start because I was looking to start from scratch; I figured out mining and putting things into the refinery / assembler, but eventually everything lost power because you need uranium and damned if I could find any?

Is there a good quick start guide? Is there a way to keep the usability hints on without the "HI THESE ARE USABILITY HINTS YOU CAN TURN THEM OFF PRESS A NUMBER TO USE AN ITEM" text?

• SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    As someone who just tried it out because of the free weekend, MAN those hints are annoying.

ElvenshaeHeroth
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Okay, so I bought this a long time ago right when it came out on early access, and basically played for about 5 minutes before putting it away.

I loaded it up, and I have almost no idea what I'm doing. I picked the Lone Survivor start because I was looking to start from scratch; I figured out mining and putting things into the refinery / assembler, but eventually everything lost power because you need uranium and damned if I could find any?

Is there a good quick start guide? Is there a way to keep the usability hints on without the "HI THESE ARE USABILITY HINTS YOU CAN TURN THEM OFF PRESS A NUMBER TO USE AN ITEM" text?

If anyone wants a crash course, I'll be around tonight, with a server and all. probably 10ish PST.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSBuCd0_gsM

Advanced Rotors. Also feature freeze for a few weeks as they work to stabilize the game.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • EnciferEncifer Registered User regular
    Anybody still play? Or can maybe recommend a good server?

2efkd4k.jpg
    I see @Broncbuster 's name pop up every now and then.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    I play occasionally, I'm mostly waiting for the next big content patch. Add me on steam (check sig) and let's find a good PvP server. That's where the real fun is anyway. I'm west coast, btw.

• triathtriath Registered User regular
    So that DX11 update is pretty sweet.

• RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    JumpDrives have been implemented.

destroyah87
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Ruckus wrote: »

ELABORATE! ELABORATE!

If you would, please.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    Aiserou
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Ruckus wrote: »

ELABORATE! ELABORATE!

If you would, please.

Near instant travel hundreds of kilometers, range dependant on ship mass (large ships only part), stored power (charges like battery, multiple units increase range). Either a "Blind Jump" straight ahead X kilometers or jump to GPS coordinates.
    Ships connected or landing geared are carried along, as are other players seated in cockpits, controls, and chairs. Unseated players will find themselves floating in space as the ship jumps without them. Jumping ships do not collide with realspace objects while in transit, momentum is conserved. The result of jumping to a point inside another object is not known at this time, there appears to be some "drift" that prevents exact arrival at GPS coordinates.

• NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Alright, I just picked this game up a few days ago and from what I am reading, the tutorials are mostly new and very well made.

I've been watching the videos and playing around with their tutorials and, quite frankly, this game has me enthralled.

I came to the Penny Arcade forums to see what was going on in this game and was surprised to find this thread so bare!

Why are people not talking about this game more? It is amazing! In addition, they are adding planets soon. I'm pumped.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Darmak
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »

Hmmm, I've been eyeing this game for some time but I haven't bought it yet. Maybe I should do that soon. Are planets in the game right now, or is that just a teaser for upcoming content?

JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »

Hmmm, I've been eyeing this game for some time but I haven't bought it yet. Maybe I should do that soon. Are planets in the game right now, or is that just a teaser for upcoming content?

Upcoming.

Space Engineers is actually in a pretty good spot. Pick it up now and start figuring out ships and bases so you know how they work when planets finally roll around.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2015
    Is there some way to change game settings after having started? I want to kick the refinery speed up a notch because fuck uranium.

edit: ah, there's a Settings button on the Load screen.

Echo on
    destroyah87
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    So I've been playing this game some again. With planets coming sometime soon I wanted to come back to the game and see what's new. (that and I had the idea to build a honking big carrier ship to live out of that would not go away.)

Started in an infinite asteroid map with just the little rescue ship. Managed to throw together a small mining ship and than scrapped the rescue boat to start my large station/ship. Spent all last weekend building a nice big (vulnerable) bay window in what would eventually become the main bridge of the ship. After figuring out how to place windows, I even got it where it can be pressurized, so once some more other rooms are built, I won't need to keep my helmet on all the time.

Last night my plans ran into a bit of a snag due to a little tiny drone ship coming over and saying hello. Thing had a gun and missile turret, blew up my wielding ship and blew a couple holes in my under-construction carrier. Well, I managed to defang the ship by grinding away the two weapon turrets and it flew away. Took me the rest of the evening to repair my ship and rebuild a construction boat.

Next steps are to throw up some weapon turrets to deal with a repeat visitor and then get to working on closing up the main engineering and refining/crafting parts of the carrier and replace the single layer of light armor with heavy and probably start work on a second external layer of armor in places. The game still feels like early access, but it's fun to play and, even with the raiders to deal with, relaxing most of the time. And it is a little more dangerous than the first time I played, what with the addition of armed ai pirates and raiders. :biggrin:

One of these days I want to build up a heavily armed and armored combat vessel and go hunting. While my carrier ship will be armed, it is not going to be built like a combat ship. For one, that front window is like a great big "shoot here!" sign.

steam_sig.png
    So I had a pirate drone come and shoot up my oxygen generator on my temporary rescue ship while I was in the process of moving things over to my tiny station platform. I jetpacked over to it and ripped out its remote control and then managed to repair my oxygen generator with 13% oxygen left.

And hey, it brought me materials for a second small nuclear reactor and other stuff! Very thoughtful of it.

destroyah87DarkMecha
    Echo wrote: »
    So I had a pirate drone come and shoot up my oxygen generator on my temporary rescue ship while I was in the process of moving things over to my tiny station platform. I jetpacked over to it and ripped out its remote control and then managed to repair my oxygen generator with 13% oxygen left.

And hey, it brought me materials for a second small nuclear reactor and other stuff! Very thoughtful of it.

Yeah, I tried to "salvage" the pirate drone that came for me but it stopped something like 3km away from my ship in empty space and (like an idiot) I broke the beacon while barely having started the salvaging and then left the drone to go charge my suit. I'm not finding that thing ever again.

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2015
    Are autopilot waypoints busted or something? I can never get them working properly. You'd think it would be as easy as adding some waypoints and pressing "go", but nope.

edit: yep, lots of people having issues.

Echo on
    Well, this is frustrating. I just installed the Automated Sorting mod tonight - the one that lets you rename containers and stuff to autosort ores, ingots and components - and it just refuses to work at all. Naming a container [Ingot] isn't pulling my ingots out, naming my Refineries [Ore:Split] isn't splitting the load... I wonder if it won't work right unless it's used on a fresh world?

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited October 2015
    Yeah, I'm having problems with it as well, and that's on a fresh world.

DW20 seems to have it working in his LP series, but I just can't get the damn thing to work properly.

edit: for refineries, you need to set "Use conveyor" to off.

Echo on
  • LindLind Registered User regular
    Wow they are getting planets as well. This game has been on my radar since it came out, perhaps its time to buy a copy or four now.

Echo
    edited October 2015
    That auto-sorting mod is finicky.

I got it working on my mining ship - reactors are named "Ship Reactor 1 [Uranium:5:P1]" etc, and it pulls uranium from the ship's cargo to the reactors. However, when docked to a connector (and locked so it's green), it won't pull uranium from the station's cargo containers. Still trying to figure that one out.

edit: I can access the station's cargo containers from the docking ring and pull inventory from the station to the ship. It just won't auto-pull any uranium to the ship's reactors.

Echo on
    Okay, now I got that mod working - it turns out it gets confused by block ownership since I'm playing with friends, and by default it will only sort between blocks you own. Do a "/sort faction" and make sure that setting is toggled to ON, and it'll sort betwen the whole faction.

Aaah, the ownership is something I'll have to try tonight.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Hmm. My welder ship is being glitchy and sometimes not starting to weld stuff on a blueprint even if I have components in the hold. I have to start the weld manually for some pieces and then the ship can finish the job.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Other important ownership tip: when making a turret be very careful with the settings. Brought two gunship near each other and they reenacted the end of Captain America 2 because one was set to me one to neutral.

Elvenshae
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    This game is potentially the greatest thing, but it has some real core hurdles to overcome imho - the biggest one being just how devastating it is to lose (or even just 'tie') a firefight. The first few fighters I built in the game (waaay back when the cargo ships were first introduced) literally took upwards of 4~ hours to design, build & shake down... and they were lost in all of a minute during bad engagements. The only way to avoid that kind of crippling loss is to save scum, which feels pretty bad.

Like, I am building a gigantic carrier right now. It'll probably actually take weeks of real time to complete (then I have to shake her down, tweak her, etc. I guess I'm not who you'd want running your war economy. :P )

There is just no way in Hell I would ever accept risking that kind of time investment in a real skirmish. The game needs to provide a means by which you can risk your creations in a more limited fashion, where you can just have the thing replaced after [X] cost or whatever if/when it gets blown up.

With Love and Courage
    edited October 2015
    The Ender wrote: »
    This game is potentially the greatest thing, but it has some real core hurdles to overcome imho - the biggest one being just how devastating it is to lose (or even just 'tie') a firefight. The first few fighters I built in the game (waaay back when the cargo ships were first introduced) literally took upwards of 4~ hours to design, build & shake down... and they were lost in all of a minute during bad engagements. The only way to avoid that kind of crippling loss is to save scum, which feels pretty bad.

Like, I am building a gigantic carrier right now. It'll probably actually take weeks of real time to complete (then I have to shake her down, tweak her, etc. I guess I'm not who you'd want running your war economy. :P )

There is just no way in Hell I would ever accept risking that kind of time investment in a real skirmish. The game needs to provide a means by which you can risk your creations in a more limited fashion, where you can just have the thing replaced after [X] cost or whatever if/when it gets blown up.

Projectors and an assembly ship. Not great for huge capital ships I think but great for fighters. There's actually an AI ship that will mass produce drones to throw at you.

Combat is incredibly lethal as it is though.

Phoenix-D on
    Yeah, make blueprints in creative and then use projectors and a welder drone to assemble them in survival.

• PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    i too am waiting for the big update to get back into, but always a great game. sadly as mentioned i never can get the auto waypoints to work. i have some satellites i went to set up in an orbit using the orientation feature so the solar panels always face the sun, but after like 3 hours of trying different things i gave up

...What does a red beacon called 'Raid in Progress' mean?

It doesn't seem to be getting closer.

Should I be concerned?

With Love and Courage

Should I be concerned?
    AI setting up attack drones. They will eventually come fuck you up.

Phoenix-D wrote: »

Should I be concerned?
    AI setting up attack drones. They will eventually come fuck you up.

D:

*welds faster*

With Love and Courage
    Elvenshae
    They're supposed to, at least.

In practice they never come closer than 5km and their Dyad fighter spawns don't actually work until 3km. Unless you kite some of them towards your base they'll just leave after a while.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List

In practice they never come closer than 5km and their Dyad fighter spawns don't actually work until 3km. Unless you kite some of them towards your base they'll just leave after a while.

Hey, I'm not complaining. My carrier ain't quite combat ready yet.

I consider this just some incentive to get her fully operational before the raiders get fixed.

With Love and Courage

Hey, I'm not complaining. My carrier ain't quite combat ready yet.

I consider this just some incentive to get her fully operational before the raiders get fixed.

I'd still maybe add a few weapon turrets now if you plan to build some in the final construction. I had one of those fighter drones wander by unexpectedly. They may not commonly move closer, but I'm not sure they can always be counted on to stay away forever.

steam_sig.png
    The Ender