As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Brooklyn Nine-Nine] - The next time you see me I'm going to be all out of orgasms.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Einzel wrote: »
    Joe Lo Truglio is like a born sitcom second banana, I suspect he'll do fine as well. Fumero and Beatriz we need to hope for.

I think they'll get new shows but will likely be typecast.

Beatriz has a pretty wide range so hopefully not, in her case.

She's also a 40 year old Latina so Hollywood might suck. :(

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Good news: Brooklyn Nine Nine is coming back!

...at some point in the 2021-2022 broadcast season.

...with just ten episodes.

...and then the series will end.

...and then they will all be in a new series called The Ex-99

One could only hope. I wonder if they are doing this because a comedy cop show in today's climate is basically impossible. So at the end of this season, they all quit and go into business together as a security guard group. Just move all the characters over into that new setting and call the show something different. End of series in name only.

Hell, just go full Archer and replant the entire cast as is in a new setting.

(we will quietly gloss over that some of those seasons were... not their best work)

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Good news: Brooklyn Nine Nine is coming back!

...at some point in the 2021-2022 broadcast season.

...with just ten episodes.

...and then the series will end.

...and then they will all be in a new series called The Ex-99

One could only hope. I wonder if they are doing this because a comedy cop show in today's climate is basically impossible. So at the end of this season, they all quit and go into business together as a security guard group. Just move all the characters over into that new setting and call the show something different. End of series in name only.

The article didn't say why it's ending, but the reason it's airing so late is because NBC didn't want to burn it off in the summer. Which makes me suspect it was the show's choice.

Also, apparently the writer's room has been going non-stop since last April, so I'm guessing they're really grappling with it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    Joe Lo Truglio is like a born sitcom second banana, I suspect he'll do fine as well. Fumero and Beatriz we need to hope for.

I think they'll get new shows but will likely be typecast.

Beatriz has a pretty wide range so hopefully not, in her case.

She's also a 40 year old Latina so Hollywood might suck. :(

OK, I saw this a couple hours ago, and it's still not sinking in.

My logic brain knows it's true, both from sourcing, and because the show's been around almost a decade.

But my comprehension brain just won't accept this.

I feel like this is just some cosmic joke. That, or she's a vampire/highlander/immortal being.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I always liked the idea of them bringing in police reform concepts to play off of. At least within my sphere's the Police reform movement is widely mis-understood and B99 would have been a good way many folks to perhaps educate themselves better. Maybe there just isn't enough meat to fill more seasons with that though.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    10 episodes to wrap the show up is pretty reasonable to me. The wedding was already one good logical point to end the show, and I'd infinitely rather the show have a planned, prepared stop than just run on forever until it gets too shitty to watch and ends up cancelled.

I'm just hoping they use the time to make a very pointed and unrelenting criticism of the how shitty cops are in the US, seeing as they know they don't have to try and keep themselves on the air at this point.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    10 episodes to wrap the show up is pretty reasonable to me. The wedding was already one good logical point to end the show, and I'd infinitely rather the show have a planned, prepared stop than just run on forever until it gets too shitty to watch and ends up cancelled.

I'm just hoping they use the time to make a very pointed and unrelenting criticism of the how shitty cops are in the US, seeing as they know they don't have to try and keep themselves on the air at this point.

While I agree, these people still do need to have careers going into the future, and given there's more than enough examples of police being petty spiteful shits to those they feel have offended them, going full bore, no holds barred, "Fuck da police, ACAB!" on the way out the door, might not be the way they want to wrap things up.

I mean, we saw how shitty some police departments were when dealing with stadiums that had players kneeling. Shudder at the shit they're capable of if they're actually attacked on a personal level.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

While I agree, these people still do need to have careers going into the future, and given there's more than enough examples of police being petty spiteful shits to those they feel have offended them, going full bore, no holds barred, "Fuck da police, ACAB!" on the way out the door, might not be the way they want to wrap things up.

I mean, we saw how shitty some police departments were when dealing with stadiums that had players kneeling. Shudder at the shit they're capable of if they're actually attacked on a personal level.

Yeah, I'm skeptical as to how willing NBC would be to air programming on their channel that clearly gives a strong ACAB message.

They could do it, but I doubt it very much.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    There's like 3 new network cop shows premiering this spring including a new Law and Order that will be on Thursdays on NBC (Clarice and Walker are two others) so its hard to pin this on BLM anti police backlash to me per se. Interpersonal issues seem more likely.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    It's mostly just an old show without enormous ratings.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Have the cast move to Florida to run the arcade

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Have the cast move to Florida to run the arcade

Wow, what did the cast ever do to you?

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    There's like 3 new network cop shows premiering this spring including a new Law and Order that will be on Thursdays on NBC (Clarice and Walker are two others) so its hard to pin this on BLM anti police backlash to me per se. Interpersonal issues seem more likely.

Counterpoint: B99 is focused on a demographic that's more likely to be aware of these issues than the demographic Dick Wolf plays to, and the cast has spoken out about these issues. I don't see how the show continues without dealing with ACAB as a concept. Not just a particular cop being a bastard, not just as a Very Special Episode, but with a recognition that the very system is corrupt and needs to be replaced. While there's several ways that could play out, very few of them involve B99 continuing in the same form it is now, and it's rather difficult to make a frank discussion of the systems used to uphold white supremacy funny.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Didn't B99 loudly and publicly go back to the drawing board with their entire script for the new season during the protests? Sure there are other cop shows, but this one has been relatively progressive compared to the rest of its genre and is popular with a progressive crowd. I have to believe that recent events are going to play into its final season. If it's a ratings thing, I imagine its more "NBC is afraid the people who watch this show may no longer want to watch this type of show because of things" than it is a simple "not enough ratings, wrap it up."

• Options
    If any cop show is going to actually address the current police issues, it would be B99. They've already done several episodes, even entire arcs, focusing on law enforcement corruption and how much the higher-ups can be totally focused on covering police and their own ass over helping the public in the slightest.

Off the top of my head, Wunch was wildly corrupt to the tune of trying to use illegal actions to tank the 99 on top of basically dead-ending Holt's career over an absurd personal grudge; Jake was only able to un-kill Holt's career by using corruption to hand off credit to a cop that outranked Wunch. The Vulture is heavily corrupt, abusing cop resources to snap things up to make himself look good and perfectly willing to escalate a hostage situation just to get to a concert. One of the earlier episodes had a high-up cop directly threatening Jake and Holt for trying to enforce the law against his asshole son. Holt was almost killed by a corrupt FBI agent working for the mob, with Jake and Holt spending months in witness protection because the cops couldn't be trusted to not leak their location. Jake's former partner was busted planting evidence and framing people. Terry was arrested by another cop for being black while out in his neighborhood after dark, with the cop changing not in the slightest after the charge was issued against him. Jake and Rosa were both framed by a cop running her own little crime ring and spent months in prison from that.

I'm sure there's more as well, but the show has spent a lot of time on the subject of law enforcement employing mountains of shitty people.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    There's also just the smattering of all the cultural issues they touched on. One of my favorite is after Jake returned to the force after being in jail and was second guessing himself constantly because of how he ended up in jail and no one caring about due process for him, and the self reflection that he had about his own methods as a detective.

The show does a real good job at touching on the shitty things, even if it doesn't do a perfect job.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Regarding the difficulty of B99 in the current cultural changes, even in a lot of the stand cop shows, they are covering the corruption. It's just the main characters are almost universally bastions of righteousness or "getting things done" within that corruption. People can accept there are bad guys in policing, but it's only the "bad ones" or at least "not our guys", etc.
    Crap, which thread is this?

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Frankly, the fact that the 99 has so many good, legit cops clustered in one place is basically one of the most unrealistic elements of the show. It would be one thing if there was like one single cop not a fuckup and trying to do the right thing sometimes, but a whole precinct of good human beings that confidently feel like they can do the right thing and the other cops will back them for it? Utterly laughable in this day and age. In a real cop precinct, the whole crew would've been framed, lied about, abused, harassed, and directly threatened into leaving long, long ago, except for maybe Scully and Hitchcock because they're kinda too stupid to do anything but paperwork at this point anyway.

But it would also explain why the 99 just gets hammered by standard cops and other precincts, as those outside groups are obviously trying to force the 99 to be as corrupt as themselves or get everybody to quit. A whole precinct of decent cops is the sort of situation that results in a statewide public efforts to drum out the shitty cops, so the 99 puts every shitty cop in the state at risk.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Frankly, the fact that the 99 has so many good, legit cops clustered in one place is basically one of the most unrealistic elements of the show. It would be one thing if there was like one single cop not a fuckup and trying to do the right thing sometimes, but a whole precinct of good human beings that confidently feel like they can do the right thing and the other cops will back them for it? Utterly laughable in this day and age. In a real cop precinct, the whole crew would've been framed, lied about, abused, harassed, and directly threatened into leaving long, long ago, except for maybe Scully and Hitchcock because they're kinda too stupid to do anything but paperwork at this point anyway.

But it would also explain why the 99 just gets hammered by standard cops and other precincts, as those outside groups are obviously trying to force the 99 to be as corrupt as themselves or get everybody to quit. A whole precinct of decent cops is the sort of situation that results in a statewide public efforts to drum out the shitty cops, so the 99 puts every shitty cop in the state at risk.

I always leaned toward the later.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I mean we're introduced to the 99 and they are definitely not great cops. Rosa makes a little too many jokes about police brutality, Jake has no care for evidence or procedure as long as he gets his arrest numbers, Holt is actually extremely petty, etc.

They weren't really great cops to begin with. But they also grow and change slightly, Holt's time at the 99 has changed him as much as he's changed the rest of them... with a smattering of funny shit because it's a comedy show, not a drama.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    By current standards, they're gods of virtue in that they only actually arrest people who are suspects/criminals/in the act, don't frame people, don't beat people to show who has all the power, and while Rosa jokes about police brutality but we never see her do anything but always use appropriate force in the field. They were already an impossibly good collection of cops at the start, with their biggest problem being paperwork.

And they do certainly improve, but they improve from the point of being an impossible collection of good cops to a nigh-celestial collection of good, competent cops. I'd bet money that there's no precinct in the US like the 99 except that it would a situation like finding an actual unicorn: if you find it, a bunch of assholes will want to shoot it.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I rewatched the show last year and yeah there's stuff that doesn't play right even with them not being shitty cops.

Stuff where they're holding contests on who gets the most arrests was one that jumped immediately to mind.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I rewatched the show last year and yeah there's stuff that doesn't play right even with them not being shitty cops.

Stuff where they're holding contests on who gets the most arrests was one that jumped immediately to mind.

There was also one where Jake held a guy for questioning without evidence, and spent the entire episode trying to catch the guy in a lie.

The guy ended up being guilty, but it really rubbed me the wrong way.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    B99 is softer copaganda, but it's still copaganda.

• Options
    Brooklyn Nine Nine's coming back a little sooner than expected: in August, after the Olympics but before the official start of the 2021-2022 season.

Just a few years ago that would mean it's being burnt off, but NBC literally has zero half-hour comedies on the schedule for this fall and the streaming services are making broadcast TV seasons meaningless.

• Options
    And here's the final details: August 12, 8 p.m. eastern, two episodes in a row for five weeks. Melissa Fumero says "we're going out with a bang and a little bit of a mic drop."

• Options
    And here's the final details: August 12, 8 p.m. eastern, two episodes in a row for five weeks. Melissa Fumero says "we're going out with a bang and a little bit of a mic drop."

Fully expecting a heavy-duty break from copaganda and some pretty pointed, scathing criticism of police as they function now.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I hope they get a spin-off that's not cop related. Mellissa Fumero would be fantastic in a show like Parks and Rec.

• Options
    I hope they get a spin-off that's not cop related. Mellissa Fumero would be fantastic in a show like Parks and Rec.

Have her partner with Amy Poehler in a show about nothing but binders. And organizing them properly.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The two could make for a legitimately entertaining show about CPAs.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

Have her partner with Amy Poehler in a show about nothing but binders. And organizing them properly.

Tentative title: "3 Ring Circus"

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Tentative title: "3 Ring Circus"

" but there's only two of you? "

Looks into camera with a forced smile, "what do you mean?"

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Final season trailer

Will be interesting to see how they handle it, given the reasons they scrapped the original S8.

I do hope that there's a Heist episode within the ten.

Starting August 12th, means without at least a couple of skipped weeks, the ten episodes will conclude on October 14th, meaning no Halloween Heist, but the last two have been Cinco De Mayo and Halloween/Valentines/Easter respectively, so that isn't a dealbreaker.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    skeldare wrote: »
    Final season trailer

Will be interesting to see how they handle it, given the reasons they scrapped the original S8.

I do hope that there's a Heist episode within the ten.

Starting August 12th, means without at least a couple of skipped weeks, the ten episodes will conclude on October 14th, meaning no Halloween Heist, but the last two have been Cinco De Mayo and Halloween/Valentines/Easter respectively, so that isn't a dealbreaker.

Two episodes per week. The last episode will be September 16. Exactly 8 years. The premiere was September 17, 2013.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    yeah, even though its not going to run through october they need the halloween heist

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    There is absolutely no way they skip having a heist this season. It'll likely have some sort of conclusion that really emphasizes how they shouldn't do it anymore.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    The clips of Marc Evan Jackson in that trailer look decidedly heisty. And he is of course going to win the last one.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    There is absolutely no way they skip having a heist this season. It'll likely have some sort of conclusion that really emphasizes how they shouldn't do it anymore.

Madness, the heist is some of the best stuff they've done, up to and including a giant setup for a marriage proposal. I see zero reason why they would think they shouldn't do pretend heists basically forever (aside from the show ending, obviously).

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Oh oops, I totally missed this returned tonight.