As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Steam Thread buys games, sometimes plays them

• HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    Given that we're entering spooky season, I want to take a moment to plug @Rorus Raz's scary games thread. Come talk about games that scare the crap out of you!

steam_sig.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

2015?! But I want it nooooooooooow!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I really want into the family sharing betaaaaaa

Come on, Steam. I have a family and everything!

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Who else found the "secret" in Stanley Parable?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I did.

It was everything I expected and more.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    So you know that feeling you get from finishing Spec Ops or The Walking Dead? Well. ..... I just finished watching Les Miserablés. Way worse. Way freaking worse. Also most apt title ever. I am gonna be depressed for months.

Fuck that noise. So story time. @Khildith had my home address because he had sent me stuff before. @Big Classy then forced Khildith to give it to him. Today GTA5 for the PS3 shows up because Isy is a classhole of the highest order. No being depressed, we're going to steal blimps and shit.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I found no secret. And the demo doesn't make me want to get the game. I was bored.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    I found no secret. And the demo doesn't make me want to get the game. I was bored.

You and I are very different people.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Oh man, I had almost forgot about the boring that was Revelations 2012.

The video did remind me that I need a better microphone. The one I have now is a headset mic that buzzes a lot, due to some sort of electrical tomfoolery I'm not able to understand. Would a USB headset be better? Would it avoid the buzz that I get with a standard microphone jack?

Should I just invest in a condenser mic and be rid of all these issues?

If you wanna just bite the bullet price wise: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-gb/product/g35-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset are what I use and they've never given me trouble. Never had complaints about my voice quality either.

Indeed since using them the number of slightly creepy anglophilic comments on my accent has gone up. Make of that what you will.

@Albino Bunny I'm looking for a new headset... does this one do:

PC and xbox?
    Separate chat volume in vent / teamspeak?

No, but I know the Turtlebeach headsets are pretty much made with exactly those features so you might want to check those out.

• Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    FYI, I hear you can buy Borderlands 2 GOTY game code from Newegg for about $18 if you use a coupon code. The code is EMCWXWW235.

EDIT: Also works for Brave New World for $9.

Talus9952 on
    steam_sig.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Count me in the camp that thinks The Stanley Parable is a total bore.

Like, it is a somewhat neat idea, and I get what it is going for, but it is a total snooze to actually play. I am going to take a page from Borges here. When he thought of a work of fiction that would be interesting to experience, instead of making it he would pretend someone had made it and pretend he head read it.

So I am just going to pretend that someone made The Stanley Parable and pretend I played it. It sounds a lot more enjoyable this way.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    FYI, I hear you can buy Borderlands 2 GOTY game code from Newegg for about $18 if you use a coupon code. The code is EMCWXWW235.

That is just a preposterous amount of game for the money. For those of you who haven't been following along:
    Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition offers more value than ever before -- over $100 of content for just $59.99 - and includes:

Award winning title, Borderlands 2

4 Add-On Content Campaigns:
    Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty
    Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage
    Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt
    Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep

2 New Playable Characters:
    Gaige, the Mechromancer
    Krieg, the Psycho

First level cap increase
    Plus new battle arenas, heads and skins, golden keys and more!

I'm tempted to buy it all again it's such a good deal. I'm not going to, because that doesn't make a lick of sense. Wait, who put it in my cart...?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Like, it is a somewhat neat idea, and I get what it is going for, but it is a total snooze to actually play. I am going to take a page from Borges here. When he thought of a work of fiction that would be interesting to experience, instead of making it he would pretend someone had made it and pretend he head read it.

So I am just going to pretend that someone made The Stanley Parable and pretend I played it. It sounds a lot more enjoyable this way.

I feel like it's point is to make you realize how hollow and fake all gaming is or something.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I feel like it's point is to make you realize how hollow and fake all gaming is or something.

Which is a dumb point. I will throw my post in spoilers out of respect for those who haven't played the game yet.
    Like. It basically hammers away the point over and over that in a game you are limited to what the designer has made for you. Well, no duh. Anyone who plays videogames ever is very much aware of this fact. It's basically the reason why I can't play Elder Scroll games, because I want them to be free form like a pen and paper roleplaying game but they aren't. I am not sure if the game actually says anything that isn't immediately obvious.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Just to be 100% sure: Brave New World says "for Mac", it does give the Windows version too, right?

edited October 2013
    Peewi wrote: »

Just to be 100% sure: Brave New World says "for Mac", it does give the Windows version too, right?

They're both Steam Play, so yes. You redeem it for Mac or Windows, you get to play both versions.

Talus9952 on
    steam_sig.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I will only buy Borderlands 2 once all the DLC is out (they announced that the GOTY edition won't have all the DLC as they are still going to release more, right?) and I have finished Borderlands 1.

Which I need to download, still. Played a good amount of it on PS+

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    I will only buy Borderlands 2 once all the DLC is out (they announced that the GOTY edition won't have all the DLC as they are still going to release more, right?) and I have finished Borderlands 1.

Which I need to download, still. Played a good amount of it on PS+

Yes, they are adding more DLC. But I've also heard that the Gearbox CEO has said all further DLC will be ala carte. There will be no Season 2 pass. Not sure about a newer package that would have all the DLC after season 2.

steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Aww, it looks like they only sell to people in USA.

Well, someone COULD buy it for you ;)

steam_sig.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think anyone has an issue with data smuggling.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Yeah, I don't think anyone has an issue with data smuggling.

Unless they're region locked.

steam_sig.png
  • ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular

In the same way that Amazon.com's digital downloads are 'only' for people in the USA? Or in a way that actually means that you can't buy it unless you're in the USA?

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Do I want Stardrive?

All i know about it: It's a 4X space strategy game.
    it has samurai bears.
    it had a rough launch

Is it newbie-friendly?
    What makes it different from other 4X games?

Do I want Stardrive?

it has samurai bears.
    it had a rough launch

Is it newbie-friendly?

There's some discussion in the last page about it. Something about the game being abandonware.

steam_sig.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Do I want Stardrive?

it has samurai bears.
    it had a rough launch

Is it newbie-friendly?

There's some discussion in the last page about it. Something about the game being abandonware.

Cool, glad to know it's not a complete game and that it might be abandoned altogether.

Supposedly, This is the full list of games the code works for. It's a 70% off code.

steam_sig.png
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular

Which is a dumb point. I will throw my post in spoilers out of respect for those who haven't played the game yet.
    Like. It basically hammers away the point over and over that in a game you are limited to what the designer has made for you. Well, no duh. Anyone who plays videogames ever is very much aware of this fact. It's basically the reason why I can't play Elder Scroll games, because I want them to be free form like a pen and paper roleplaying game but they aren't. I am not sure if the game actually says anything that isn't immediately obvious.

because you did it.
    I agree nothing will be the same as pen and paper. And I'm ok with that. I don't know why I think Meh, with that demo. It doesn't do it for me. Elder scrolls, V skyrim I'm still having fun. Granted I cheated to hell and back to skip the grind part of game, but the quests are fun. I just give myself anything that can be bought with time.

As for pen and paper, there is nothing like my weekly visit to comic book store. I play pathfinder. We have upwards of 12 at a time, and it is crazy. We have a monk, chaky jan. A shape shifter, Thomas, but everyone calls him tommy because he is always dressed in white. My catfolk Garfield, who rides a dire warg named odie. The cleric who has a meta game scene, and doesn't like meta game (funny, all our chars set him off). There is no series. There is no script. You couldn't write this if you tried. Hell the half orc who was trying to make it with the giant tank tried to punt the halfling off the boat because she is stupid.

Point? You do what you do because it is fun. That demo wasn't, so the game is no longer of interest. Papers please, another game I will never play.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    so

tested out the family sharing thing with a friend who lives far away

had him log into my account

with attendant steam guard authorizations

opt-in to the beta

authorize his device

and my games showed up! He was able to install and play Dark Void Zero with no problems.

I launched Terraria and it said something to the effect of "Tamin needs access to his library. You have 5 minutes of playtime remaining" and then, when I exited, it said "user tamin's library is available"

Really simple, very straightforward. I am awarding full marks to Valve.

Tamin on
    That was weird, Steam just loaded up missing half of my categories, rebooted and all my categories are back.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Regarding Stanley:
    The message is absolutely on how any game is limited by what the creator made and exploring the relationship between player choice and narrative. It essentially looks at games like Mass Effect and says: 'that's dumb because ultimately any path must be so strictly mandated and will likely come back at the same point so often that it's a waste of time'.

I find it really interesting and thenarrator super charming.

• HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    A fun tidbit about the Stanley Parable demo (spoilers! play it first):
    The demo has a single achievement, "Video Games!!". The narrator awards you that achievement when you drop the cup in the trash can. It pops up in the corner of the screen just like any Steam achievement, but the achievement doesn't actually unlock on your profile. They actually faked the appearance of an achievement unlock within the game. As far as I can tell, there is actually no legitimate way to unlock the achievement. I know this because after finishing the demo I went to put that achievement in my achievement showcase :/

steam_sig.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Oh man, I had almost forgot about the boring that was Revelations 2012.

The video did remind me that I need a better microphone. The one I have now is a headset mic that buzzes a lot, due to some sort of electrical tomfoolery I'm not able to understand. Would a USB headset be better? Would it avoid the buzz that I get with a standard microphone jack?

Should I just invest in a condenser mic and be rid of all these issues?

If you wanna just bite the bullet price wise: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-gb/product/g35-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset are what I use and they've never given me trouble. Never had complaints about my voice quality either.

Indeed since using them the number of slightly creepy anglophilic comments on my accent has gone up. Make of that what you will.

@Albino Bunny I'm looking for a new headset... does this one do:

PC and xbox?
    Separate chat volume in vent / teamspeak?

my experience with turtle beach headsets was not good. shitty quality and poor customer support. i have been super stoked on my gamescom 780. way more comfortable, great mic quality and super durable and they look cooler. plus if you don't mind the dota branding you can get an in game item and probably sell it to recoup the cost a bit, though they are not expensive

camo_sig.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular

Supposedly, This is the full list of games the code works for. It's a 70% off code.

tested it on BNW (with the windows version, naturally) and it wouldn't apply.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Newegg's taking a while packing this digital code.

steam_sig.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

This is a Mac sale. But BNW is Steamworks. Your Mac code will activate on Steam and play nice with your Windows Civ V just fine.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2

I think they have the MAC codes on sale, did you try that?

steam_sig.png

I think they have the MAC codes on sale, did you try that?

FYI, I tested with the mac version, and it works.

steam_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm sad the Samurai ursine and mind controlled owls came to such a sad ending.

This discussion has been closed.