As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To mac or not to mac ...

h3nduh3ndu Registered User regular
edited September 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have an ASUS aspire one - it's my only computer; I've used it through college, to take notes, write papers, surf the web and Facebook. I like the little thing, but it's been getting noticeably slower over the years. When I have more than two tabs open in Chrome it slows down, it has trouble with Chat on Facebook sometimes, and when I put my Nike+ watch into the USB port everything stops for a few minutes. Basically, doing anything just takes time. It also has windows 7 starter - I don't know if that's a plus or a negative. I've never really had a problem with the OS. I can upgrade the ram on it from one gig to two, and I think maybe it would probably work adequately for my purposes.

Honestly, all I've ever needed it for and all I've ever used it for is as a typing machine and a web browser, and I feel like it's done that honorably. I kind of feel like it's time for an upgrade though, and I'm looking at maybe getting a Mac Book Pro. I've never had a mac before, so it's kind of foreign territory but I've played around on a friends a few times and I like how smooth they are, and she'll never shut up about it's reliability.

I like the look of the mac mini too but for me a Laptop is ideal - I move frequently in the army (three times this year, with a fourth coming up, hooray!), and having a desktop is really just a hassle to keep around and up. My ASUS has been my only computer for years now.

That said I'm kind of torn. It still works, and while slow eventually gets things done. I feel almost like I would be leaving an old friend behind. Another friend of mine is trying to get me into playing WOW and I know it couldn't possibly handle it, so there's that too.

TL;DR - My asus is slow, should I upgrade the ram, use it as a linux project, or just buy a Mac Book Pro?

Caveat - I got an iPhone 5 a few days ago and love it to bits. How is the connectivity between mac items?

Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea.
h3ndu on

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The connectivity isn't a big deal with regards to the iPhone. My iPhone is synced to my PC because it's convenient, even though I have a Macbook Air.

I love my Air, though. It's the best laptop I've ever used, let alone owned. The multi-touch pad is incredibly easy to use, and I hated using touchpads on other laptops. I don't even have a mouse for my Air at all.

As someone who went through the stages of laptop death with a Dell from waaaayyy back, forget spending any money on the current laptop. It's not worth it.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Mac laptops are nice but somewhat overpriced. Before buying you should look into what else you can get for those money.

I was a Mac user for a few years and for sure the OS is nice, but it is not without some stupid things. However that is just the OS and these days a Mac is really just a PC with Apple software so it can run whatever OS you like.

Also I thing one has to question if Apple is a company worth supporting. It is like their way or else...

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I was always a Windows guy, then got a MacBook Pro around 2004.

Had no real problem with it, but never really felt comfortable with it. Just something about it hiding the back-end workings always bothered me. Ridiculous because it's objectively better, but just never could get used to Finder and how MacOS handles downloads, etc. Think the last OS update I did on it was Leopard, so somewhat dated to be sure.

So go play with one at an Apple store/friend's, and see how you like it. Hardware is always highly rated.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Macs are quality. I'm a PC person at heart, but I'm writing this on my MacBook from 2007. Still going strong, still running as fast as ever. If you have money to burn, get a Mac.

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    I love my Mac's. I've had a variety of the past few years. I started with a black Macbook in 2008, and now I'm on a 15" Retina Pro. It's lovely. It's also a shit ton of overkill if you're not doing anything high end on it. What kind of games are you interested in playing? Just WOW? You may want to look into getting a 13" Macbook Air, or the 13" Pro perhaps.

I did the Mac Mini thing for a while as well, but the deployments and such just necessitate a laptop.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I think you would get more for your money (and pay less in general) if you didn't get a Mac... My mom, who has been a die-hard Apple fan since the very first Macintosh, recently decided to give up on their products because she didn't like the direction the OS or the company was going in. She's one of those people that still has a still-barely-functional 2007 MacBook Pro, from which she finally moved on a couple months ago (mostly because the wireless hadn't been working for a year). The thing is, if you don't need or love the OS, you can still get reliable hardware from another company (ASUS is pretty reliable right now, for example, and if you're willing to pay more, I have had phenomenal experiences with the longevity of Sony's laptops and would recommend them to anyone) for far, FAR less than a Mac. You pay a TON for the name and the OS, and you don't actually get that much out of it, especially now that Windows 7 and 8 exist. Don't get me wrong, I did love OSX myself until the last two OS updates, and their products at least WERE reliable last time my family bought one (again, MBP that lasted for 6 years). I just don't know if I could justify the investment now. I would go with an equivalent (or better, if you're still willing to spend) laptop with an AMD CPU or an Intel CPU plus a dedicated graphics card for the price (just avoid HP like the plague). Although if all you'll ever want to play on it is WoW, you could get away with something much cheaper (but naturally limited if you want to play newer games). Maybe you could even manage on Intel's integrated graphics, but I don't know for sure (and I wouldn't recommend it myself).

Edit: Also, your iPhone will connect to a PC just fine! iTunes is slower and less good on a PC if that's what you're using, but I've been using it to manage my music since 2006 (maybe earlier, don't remember) without any real problems. I wouldn't worry.

Essee on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Have you considered building a PC in the ITX form factor? Granted you have things like a monitor and whatnot that need to be moved but for your money you will get more and have the option to upgrade it and replace components yourself if something fails. Also if you were willing to deal with a slightly larger case you could build it into a gaming PC and that just opens up a whole new world for you.

Depending on your MOS a laptop might be the best option if you have a deployment upcoming.

iRevert on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'm a single officer; I do have money to burn but I tend to live very frugally. I have a deployment upcoming in five months.

So what I'm reading and what people are telling me is that they are stupid nice but almost unreasonably priced.

I don't play as many games as I used to; when I hit college life just kind of became too fast paced for me to adequately enjoy them. WOW would be fun I think as there are two or three guys in my shop who play. I hear macs aren't the best though for games?

I am going to coast around the PX and look at all the laptop models they have available. But there is just something desire able about those Mac books.

h3ndu on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    They're not unreasonably priced for what they offer. You get a superior build quality and components. The peer PC brand to compare them to is the lenovo thinkpad, and prices are comparable. For PC laptop gaming for graphics-intensive apps you're going to need something not mass-market to get an adequate graphics. Otherwise if you're just playing older games off GOG or steam then it'll be fine.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    h3ndu wrote: »
    I'm a single officer; I do have money to burn but I tend to live very frugally. I have a deployment upcoming in five months.

So what I'm reading and what people are telling me is that they are stupid nice but almost unreasonably priced.

I don't play as many games as I used to; when I hit college life just kind of became too fast paced for me to adequately enjoy them. WOW would be fun I think as there are two or three guys in my shop who play. I hear macs aren't the best though for games?

I am going to coast around the PX and look at all the laptop models they have available. But there is just something desire able about those Mac books.

You may also want to look into a "Hackentosh" if you just want the ease of use of a Mac.

• Options
    All this regardless; I do still feel odd about leaving behind my netbook. It's worked hard for me for the last few years of my life.

Are there any fun projects that I could do with it, or should I gift it away?

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Macs also retain more value over the same period of time as compared to PCs. So let's say in 2 to 3 years you want to upgrade; you'll find someone to sell it to for at least half the price you paid for it, assuming you kept it in good condition.

• Options
    All this regardless; I do still feel odd about leaving behind my netbook. It's worked hard for me for the last few years of my life.

Install a very light version of linux on it and use it still.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbook-oriented_Linux_distributions

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular

ram is cheap these days; i'd upgrade it as much as you can and see how it goes before you even bother with a new computer. my 5 year old laptop still runs flawlessly with windows 7, mostly due to the 4gb of ram. the battery life's terrible so it's now a media centre, but if that's not a concern with you, why not try to squeeze out more life from it?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I would reformat the netbook start from scratch unless there's some practical reason preventing it.

• Options

If money is no object, they are worth it. You are paying for the luxury brand, but you are also paying for the quality. They also have great support in Apple shops. My Macbook's battery failed 1 month out of warranty and they still gave me a free replacement. :) The replacement is going strong over 5 years later and still holds a good charge.

Macs play games just fine, but there are not so many games released for them. Of course, these days there are not so many games released for PC either! (well, lots of indie games but not so many big names)

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    The quality argument is pretty bogus. Are they more reliable than the $300 special at bestbuy, yes. But once you get beyond that super low entry point, they are nothing special reliability wise. And beyond that. Buy a $1000 laptop this year, and if it breaks in 2 years, go buy the replacement level laptop for $600, and then do it again in 2 years(for even less $$), and again 2 years later(will probably be one of those $300 specials at this point). And look that premium you payed for 'quality' is finally starting to save you money, on an 8 year old laptop.

http://www.squaretrade.com/laptop-reliability-1109/ (From 09, but its a survey of 30k warranty claims which is pretty good as afar as a data set goes)

laptop-failure-rate.jpg

http://www.rescuecom.com/news-press-releases/computer-reliability-report-2012-Q2.aspx

ranks them thus for q2 2012
    1. Samsung (422)
    2. Lenovo/IBM (255)
    3. Asus (159)
    4. Apple (130)
    5. Toshiba (117)
    6. HP/Compaq (109)
    7. Dell (79)
    8. Sony (49)
    9. Acer (28)

As for games, unless you are looking to really push bleeding edge FPS play, Dells XPS line, Asus higher end laptops, etc all have discrete GPUs which should work fine. Hell I played WoWs previous expansion(November 2011) on a $350 bottom end gateway laptop from 09. Not great, but well enough to raid on.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/415326/ROG_G750JW-RB71_173_Laptop_Computer_-_Black Is 1500 and probably over-kill

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230592 is 1000($800 cheaper than the starting 15'' macbook)

Trying to get a MacBook Pro to that level of CPU/GPU/Ram/HDD space etc, will put you at 2500, and you still aren't quite there on the GPU. Plus then you still need Bootcamp and a copy of windows for games.

Having money to burn is nice, but the extra$1500 can be burned on other fun and wasteful things. Like a PS4 and a 50'' LCD 3D Samsung(Or an XBone and a slightly smaller/crappy tv). And that'll save you the $35 apple wants so you can hook their stupid fucking-proprietary video out port into an HDMI port like every shitty $300 laptop in the world can do.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    Go MacBook Pro. It's OS is nice, you can do what you need, and if you get the solid state drive it's super quiet. It's great for work and for sitting on the couch reading the forums. If you have the money- get it and you will almost definitely not regret it.
    Just FYI: I was PC until my first mac about 2 years ago, big iMac, the now as gifted a MBP. It's great. My wife just got a windows 8 rig for Christmas and we are trying HARD to sell it so she can go Mac mini. Whatever you do avoid Win 8.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    Whatever you do avoid Win 8.

Yeah I think that whatever your position on Macs may be, most of us can agree on this.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular

Goodness, avoid the PX like the plague. If they even have stock in, they're going to try and push an older model on you to clear it out. AAFES here at Ramstein, which I would consider a "premiere" location didn't have the 15" Retina models even available to order for over 6 months.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    There are PC laptop manufacturers that have nice aluminium like the Macs do, and they're cheaper.

If you don't specifically want to use Apples OS, there really isn't any reason to buy an Apple laptop.

• Options

Goodness, avoid the PX like the plague. If they even have stock in, they're going to try and push an older model on you to clear it out. AAFES here at Ramstein, which I would consider a "premiere" location didn't have the 15" Retina models even available to order for over 6 months.

Not to mention that many vendors with ID will drop a discount on you, some being better than others.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    The trackpad is 100% worth the entry fee of an Air.

Like without doubt.

Blake T on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Seriously. Apple's touchpads are what makes me go "eww, wtf?" when I have to use a non-Apple laptop.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm using a replacement laptop from work while my mac is being repaired.

I am surprised that the touchpads on other laptops are really this bad. Trying to use gestures and having the computer do nothing makes me sad. I've been spoiled.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    The quality argument is pretty bogus. Are they more reliable than the $300 special at bestbuy, yes. But once you get beyond that super low entry point, they are nothing special reliability wise. And beyond that. Buy a $1000 laptop this year, and if it breaks in 2 years, go buy the replacement level laptop for $600, and then do it again in 2 years(for even less $$), and again 2 years later(will probably be one of those $300 specials at this point). And look that premium you payed for 'quality' is finally starting to save you money, on an 8 year old laptop.

http://www.squaretrade.com/laptop-reliability-1109/ (From 09, but its a survey of 30k warranty claims which is pretty good as afar as a data set goes)

laptop-failure-rate.jpg

http://www.rescuecom.com/news-press-releases/computer-reliability-report-2012-Q2.aspx

ranks them thus for q2 2012
    1. Samsung (422)
    2. Lenovo/IBM (255)
    3. Asus (159)
    4. Apple (130)
    5. Toshiba (117)
    6. HP/Compaq (109)
    7. Dell (79)
    8. Sony (49)
    9. Acer (28)

As for games, unless you are looking to really push bleeding edge FPS play, Dells XPS line, Asus higher end laptops, etc all have discrete GPUs which should work fine. Hell I played WoWs previous expansion(November 2011) on a $350 bottom end gateway laptop from 09. Not great, but well enough to raid on.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/415326/ROG_G750JW-RB71_173_Laptop_Computer_-_Black Is 1500 and probably over-kill

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230592 is 1000($800 cheaper than the starting 15'' macbook)

Trying to get a MacBook Pro to that level of CPU/GPU/Ram/HDD space etc, will put you at 2500, and you still aren't quite there on the GPU. Plus then you still need Bootcamp and a copy of windows for games.

Having money to burn is nice, but the extra$1500 can be burned on other fun and wasteful things. Like a PS4 and a 50'' LCD 3D Samsung(Or an XBone and a slightly smaller/crappy tv). And that'll save you the $35 apple wants so you can hook their stupid fucking-proprietary video out port into an HDMI port like every shitty $300 laptop in the world can do.

I signed in just to quote this and say that this was the argument I was about to make. I own a Macbook from 2009, it still runs and is fairly reliable. However, in hindsight, I would have purchased a PC due to the flexibility of the operating system, and the drastically lower price point for a computer with comparable specs to that of a macbook.

Additionally, I don't know about the U.S. military, but the CAF operates solely in Microsoft software (Word, Excel, etc.). While mac does have versions of these programs, you do run into formatting errors when the files are transferred and opened on a PC - at least in my experience.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Comahawk wrote: »
    While mac does have versions of these programs, you do run into formatting errors when the files are transferred and opened on a PC - at least in my experience.

Oh yeah.

On anything that goes to print, we have a specific cut off time where no one is allowed to work on files on a Mac anymore. Going from the version of word in Mac back to a PC always introduces some weird symbols to the text that have to be manually removed every single time. One of our editors had to just get a PC because she couldn't do her job on a mac due to the reintroduction of new errors every time the file passed back and forth.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I've never had issues. Which version of word are you using?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    the mac version of office kind of sucks IMO. at least if you are used to the windows version.

and i would stay away from HP laptops. build quality is not very good. had 3 develop mobo issues and their service sucks

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I've never had issues. Which version of word are you using?

I want to say that it's a Mac running '10 sending files to a PC running '07 maybe?

Either way, it's the specific combination that always introduces those weird errors.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Yeah that's going to be fucked!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    The best type of PC to buy is not any of the cheap consumer brands. They come loaded with crappy trialware that slows down even the cheap parts they use. Also they weigh like a brick. If you can consider Mac, there are sleek, light PC brands (Sony look nice but I don't know how they run), or custom-build laptops for gamers that have amazing performance, and no crappy trialware (still weigh like a brick, though.) Both these options cost more than the average PC and less than a Mac.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    Coming from a company that exclusively uses Macintoshes, we rarely if ever have to replace a machine unless we are upgrading to increase performance. Hell, up until this year, we were still using an eMac in one of our production areas, and we only had to replace it because Sandy tore up some roofing and water flooded it. As long as you treat them well, they will have your back.

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    The length of time you can run a mac is really one of the main reasons people like them. They don't "get slow" over time, and typically the only reason they break is when they're dropped. I had a 5-year old Mac Pro that was a G5 that I ended up selling for about $350, despite its inability to run modern software. I also finally convinced my parents to get an iMac instead of always fixing their windows computer, and it's been much smoother for them to actually use the computer since then.

Since selling my Mac Pro I've had an iMac, since 2010, and although I consider upgrading, it's really not necessary. My computer runs the same as when I bought it, and I essentially ignore the upgrade game, both for hardware and software. At this point, there's enough hacks that I have been able to find ways to do everything I need to do, from streaming to my PS3 to VPN and so on.

There is still a premium compared to comparable Windows computers, in my opinion, but the true premium is only about 15-20% when you compare hardware and form factor and OS more directly. I use Windows 7 at work and have found that Windows has gone a long way towards making a more user-friendly experience, so OS X is no longer the only game in town for an easy-to-use-but-still-powerful OS, in my opinion, but it does still have the advantage of having more powerful options (like much more accessible unicode typing) just barely under the hood.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    the biggest thing for me that will keep me on a mac laptop is the trackpad. until a windows one can match it, then forget it

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i love apple hardware, it's always well-designed. can't say the same for their software or OS, which is probably the only other downside to buying a mac besides cost.

it really boils down to how much access/control you want while computing, and how much money you're willing to spend.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Everything people have said about Apple, I'll say the same about Thinkpads, even in their current iteration. There's the added benefit that, if necessary, you can pretty much dismantle a Thinkpad down to its primary components for self-repair and cleaning without voiding the warranty.

Trackpads? Such crude instruments are for plebes. The Trackpoint is where it's at!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    EggyToast wrote: »
    I also finally convinced my parents to get an iMac instead of always fixing their windows computer, and it's been much smoother for them to actually use the computer since then.

I highly recommend this. My mum was spending $500 every two years to replace crappy Windows laptops, and every time I visited I had to clean out all the crappy trialware and toolbars that installed themselves. I convinced her to buy a Mac, and no problems since. As a bonus, their helpline is wonderful and can answer any questions she has better than I can. She only does email and web browsing, so she only needed the cheapest laptop (which frankly was not all that cheap.)

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    First off, as a disclaimer, I am not a fan of the mac software philosophies. Many people like them, I am not one of them. What I actually came to say is that if all you need is "a typing machine and a web browser" even the cheapest macbook is $500 more expensive than the computer you need. You can easily find a computer that will meet your needs for $500-$700. Yes the macbook is a better computer than those laptops, but other than the software, it will be in ways you will never notice typing or browsing the web.

Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    If all you need is a typing machine and web browser, don't even get a laptop.

Get one of these:
    http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/