Options

The [sysadmins] Thread: Quick, hide your user friendly policies, Bowen is coming back!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It was their way to push Windows 8 into the business world.

Defender in Windows 8 is indeed MSE rebranded.

Nope, you don't have to disable it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Bah, where is my Windows 8.1 upgrade? The store has nothing...

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    And yet another task added to my large collection of non-technical items on my job description. Not only do I perform network admin, server admin, help desk, IT inventory, phone system and other IT-related issues, but I also am responsible for the coffee machine, the microwaves, lighting fixtures, and anything else plugged in. I also clean bloody boogers off of the walls, because why would someone not wipe their nasty snot on the walls? And by bloody, I'm not substituting the word for colorful metaphors. I think it is official: I'm a god damn janitor.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    I had that job, just add in shoveling snow and trying to figure out an ancient HVAC system.

And I could not complain because it was actually written into me job description.

• Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    And yet another task added to my large collection of non-technical items on my job description. Not only do I perform network admin, server admin, help desk, IT inventory, phone system and other IT-related issues, but I also am responsible for the coffee machine, the microwaves, lighting fixtures, and anything else plugged in. I also clean bloody boogers off of the walls, because why would someone not wipe their nasty snot on the walls? And by bloody, I'm not substituting the word for colorful metaphors. I think it is official: I'm a god damn janitor.
    And thus the mantle passes on. Now it is to you that Bowen quietly whispers "No".

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    So I've been on a project for the first two weeks of my job, barely had any context with my actual employer. Today our hiring manager stopped by to say hi and check in. Project ends tomorrow, and he seemed really impressed with the documentation I've been providing so far.

Feels good, man.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Yeah I had to put an end to the shinanegans of fixing a fax machine.

I was like "I'm a programmer, and a passable system administrator, I am not a telecom guy."

I'm pretty sure they're all sexist.

"The toilet's not working!"
    "I uh.. alright?"
    "Well it's flooding!"
    "Why are you telling me?"
    "Can't you fix it I don't know what to do!"
    "... turn off the water?"
    "How do I do that?"
    "... the valve underneath the toilet?"

What the fuck do these people do at home?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    A user brought in her company-owned laptop which she never brings into the office, asking us to get her updated and all that fun stuff. "Is it going to take long?"
    "Well, it depends on when the last time you ran updates. Do you know when that was?"
    "Not that long ago I think."

It shows as last checked on September 28th... 2012; she also has 3 separate AV products installed. I will never understand how people refuse to update their systems. And yeah, it's refuse because by default they are set to be notified, so either they ignore the message saying that updates are available or they turn off the option to be notified.

You never been in a situation where you're leaving work and instead of hibernating you decide to shutdown ("install updates and shutdown") and then it says 143 updates to install and takes an hour to shutdown (telling you not to unplug or shutdown while updates are being installed)? And then when you boot up it sits at a "configuring updates" screen for a half hour ...

Doesn't surprise me at all if when a user is presented the option to update or not they think fuck that noise.

Djeet on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Re: symatic endpoint protection
    Our Vpn will not let you connect to corp unless SEP is active (among other security checks). Also on corp systems, if you don't connect to VPN on a public network within 5 minutes, it disables the network adapter until you reboot. Then you have 5 minutes to get vpn going again.

Field machines don't have that limitation. Sometimes our work-at homes get confused if they are on vpn or not because "everything else works"

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    bowen wrote: »

I was like "I'm a programmer, and a passable system administrator, I am not a telecom guy."

"I uh.. alright?"
    "Well it's flooding!"
    "How do I do that?"

Keep the dishonest plumbers in business.

I love getting asked to clean printers. Fuck you. One, not my job. Two, my clothes don't like toner cartridge as much as yours. Three, we PAY someone else to do that kind of servicing. Take 10 seconds, call the number on the side of the printer with the equipment number right below it, and you are done.

Nothing irritates me more than someone with a problem that they are too 'busy' to report. I'm not magical, I have to know something is wrong before I can fix it.

Also, not telling me, sitting on a problem for 3 months and then springing it on me on after driving 3 hours to get to your site, 6 hours of working, and while I'm facing a 3 hour drive back - is going to piss me off for at least a year, for future reference.

Bigity on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuuck SEP.
    Just, man.
    God I hated that piece of shit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    quietjayquietjay Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular

Are using an MSDN or volume licensed copy? Apparently the windows store update is only for retail copies, MSDN users have to download a new ISO and reinstall.

Become a Star Citizen
  • Options
    quietjay wrote: »

Are using an MSDN or volume licensed copy? Apparently the windows store update is only for retail copies, MSDN users have to download a new ISO and reinstall.

Yeah, I just found that Enterprise cannot have it through the store I am downloading the ISO now. Hopefully there is an upgrade option.

• Options
    Bigity wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

"I uh.. alright?"
    "Well it's flooding!"
    "How do I do that?"

Keep the dishonest plumbers in business.

I love getting asked to clean printers. Fuck you. One, not my job. Two, my clothes don't like toner cartridge as much as yours. Three, we PAY someone else to do that kind of servicing. Take 10 seconds, call the number on the side of the printer with the equipment number right below it, and you are done.

Nothing irritates me more than someone with a problem that they are too 'busy' to report. I'm not magical, I have to know something is wrong before I can fix it.

Also, not telling me, sitting on a problem for 3 months and then springing it on me on after driving 3 hours to get to your site, 6 hours of working, and while I'm facing a 3 hour drive back - is going to piss me off for at least a year, for future reference.
    All of the above are also tasks I have to do...
    bth_bangHeadAgainstWall.gif

And yes, fuck SEP right up it's ass, and then tell it to go murder Symantec. And when it's done, it can go hang itself. I will promise to write a hiaku in its god awful memory... it's shameful, horrid, life-ruining memory...

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    So about a month ago at a remote office a user emailed me and cc'ed my boss asking for a new wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. I asked if there was anything wrong with what he had. He emailed back saying the letter e was faded on the keyboard and the wire from the mouse was annoying.

My boss said sure, buy the things after I internally rolled my eyes at the situation.

I have to do something at the remote office today and what do I see in a box in the corner? A wireless keyboard and mouse in their boxes and unopened.

Really imperative to have those things.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    If you're too busy to report a problem, I'm too busy to fix it. Or at the very least it's going straight in at zero priority (the SLA level just above the cylindrical file cabinet).

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    So about a month ago at a remote office a user emailed me and cc'ed my boss asking for a new wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. I asked if there was anything wrong with what he had. He emailed back saying the letter e was faded on the keyboard and the wire from the mouse was annoying.

My boss said sure, buy the things after I internally rolled my eyes at the situation.

I have to do something at the remote office today and what do I see in a box in the corner? A wireless keyboard and mouse in their boxes and unopened.

Really imperative to have those things.
    Shit like that bothers the crap out of me. I hate people who demand wireless keyboards/mice only because a cord is annoying to them, despite that their box sits about 1-2 feet from their hands so it's not like the cord is causing any performance issues. And then you get told to just buy it for them because it's easier to just do that than to get into some political warfare with them; and you know that will happen because he/she will bitch to their boss, give you smug looks, and make your life a living hell until they get what they want, but they'll still hold it against you that you didn't do it immediately. It seriously feels like we're dealing with children, where we are teaching them that if you throw a temper tantrum, we'll give you cool stuff. Good job... just keep enabling the assholes. Makes things for me so much harder, but hey, why not right?

A wireless mouse/keyboard is not a necessity. If someone started to develop signs of carpal tunnel, I have 100% no problem buying them a special mouse to help limit the pain, but I will always have an issue with some clown demanding a wireless device that they do not need nor will it improve their work or quality of life. Sure, we'll just cut right into that random hardware budget that I've set aside to last all year. I'd much rather buy RAM to upgrade you guys, but Caroline over there wanted that fancy keyboard and mouse.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Kinda glad that we work in an office that's lax enough about that policy such that it comes down to "You want X mouse or Y keyboard? Expense it."

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I personally hate wireless peripherals. Batteries die and the can have signal issues. Gimme my goddamn wires back. I don't even really like my wireless xbox/wii controllers.

I... I am old. :(

• Options
    Cog wrote: »
    I personally hate wireless peripherals. Batteries die and the can have signal issues. Gimme my goddamn wires back. I don't even really like my wireless xbox/wii controllers.

I... I am old. :(

Nah.

As a programmer it's annoying as fuck.

With the PS3 I bought a super long USB cable to charge it.

I just leave everything plugged in.

Last thing I want is the battery to be dying and it to key in another character in a query or something.

• Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Can you guys not just charge things to other departments budgets?

My IT budget covers network infrastructure, scheduled hardware replacements, and emergency replacements for failed kit (not the users fault), and a little pot for normal misc stuff I have to buy.

Sales team hire a new guy, that computer cost goes to the sales budget. Finance all want wireless KBaM, that gets assigned to their stationary budget. Marketing want 100 USB memory sticks, that's their events budget.

Works really well because the department are happy they get what they want (within reason - we do have standards and limits still), I am happy because it's not eating into my budget, and finance don't care which code the assign it to as long as I give them a name and department of who it is for.

Edit: Oh, and ANYTHING related to workplace assessments (i.e. larger monitors, wrist wrests, monitor stands, fancy ergonomic KBaM kits) - all on the Health and Safety budget.

Khade97 on
  • Options
    Not every company is structured like that, unfortunately.

And that setup has its own pros and cons. When you start charging equipment to other departments, they start thinking that since they bought it, they have some say over usage.

• Options
    My agency pretty much looks at IT as their personal janitors. Everything gets dumped on us and we have to do it despite the fact that there is no way we can fit it into our budget and great now there goes half of this year's projects so now we look like under achievers. In fact, we believe that finance doesn't even pay attention to our proposed budget and just gives us a percentage of the year before's budget.

Frustrating, really. With how highly customized everything is, you'd think they'd treat their only two IT guys a little better. At least there is one lady who brings us a weekly regimen of candy. Small victories... small victories

• Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    Khade97 wrote: »
    Can you guys not just charge things to other departments budgets?

No.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    charging thing to to other departments is the best thing, especially if you can also charge the support time for stupid calls to other departments. "Herp derp i don't know how to use excel! herp derp"
    "but..it's...it's your job to use excel...that'll be 100$ from your departments IT fund since it's not an actual issue just you being pants on head retarded.."

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Oh yeah... if you can bill them for your time, they will suddenly start fixing their own fucking toilet in a big hurry.

• Options
    I love being a consultant for that very reason.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    1) Get 10 brand new workstations from Dell
    2) Load an additional 8G of ram into each of them
    3) Watch as only 7 of them power up properly
    4) Troubleshoot, determine that the mobo has most likely fritzed
    5) /fliptable

Goooood mooorning Friday!

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    One of the reasons why I told my boss I'd rather build the computers myself instead of getting them from someone else. Good example is when I had a motherboard die on a Lenovo and since they have their own messed up way of wiring their cases I had to tear them all apart and rewire.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Myiagros wrote: »
    One of the reasons why I told my boss I'd rather build the computers myself instead of getting them from someone else. Good example is when I had a motherboard die on a Lenovo and since they have their own messed up way of wiring their cases I had to tear them all apart and rewire.
    Jeez, how much free time do you have that building computers is cheaper than buying warranty?

• Options
    Getting them from somewhere else = easy & fast warranty process, though.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »
    Getting them from somewhere else = easy & fast warranty process, though.
    Not sure I follow? I've typically spent as much time RMA'ing a laptop from Lenovo as I have a component from Newegg. All it takes is a five minute call.

• Options
    I suppose it depends on where you get your shit from and what service level you have. Usually I just place a call to dell, give them the service tag, and tell them to send a new one.

• Options
    Basically yea. But since getting the pro level support usually adds 50 bucks for 3 years, why wouldn't you?

• Options
    Man, yeah, I'd love to build our fleet by hand, but it's just not time or cost effective for us. Dell's gold plan (or whatever they call it now) is mercifully easy to manipulate and relatively speedy.

• Options
    Location definitely matters. I know that if I order any non-unusual part from NewEgg by noon, it'll be here by 3:00 pm the next day, despite only using standard shipping. They have a warehouse in Trenton, NJ and it gets here wicked quick.

However, I do prefer to deal with Dell's warranty support. I also ran an analysis for their support pricing and found that it saves over $100 per machine to purchase 5 years of warranty upfront instead of 3 now and 2 extended years later. It took a couple of years before the savings started being realized, but in the long run it was way easier to just purchase 5 and not worry about extensions... plus save money on each system. It was a win-win, although no one seemed to notice or care other than my boss and I.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Having Dell's 4 hour support is pretty fucking cool. I can place a call and Dell will charter a fucking flight and a courier to put a box in my hands in 4 hours or less.

Yeah, that costs $texas. Depends on the size of your shop, I spose.

Cog on
  • Options
    The 4-hour response time is definitely awesome and totally worth the extra money when you need to utilize it. I reserve it for only servers and IT PCs (because I think we're that special). Everyone else gets Next Business Day and only Mon-Fri. If they need something in the meantime, I'll harvest parts.

• Options
    The 4-hour response time is definitely awesome and totally worth the extra money when you need to utilize it. I reserve it for only servers and IT PCs (because I think we're that special). Everyone else gets Next Business Day and only Mon-Fri. If they need something in the meantime, I'll harvest parts.

Speaking of harvesting parts, I'm still pretty green at my new gig, and I asked one of the other guys where we kept various spares for situations like busted optical drives or random cabling. He brought me down to the basement and opened this weird thin door wedged between a pair of bathrooms and just sort of pointed with a grin. I poked my head in, and inside was maybe a 30 or 40 foot corridor, only a few feet wide, with stacks of old model workstations lined up on either side 8 feet up the walls. It was like two decades worth of E-Waste and totally not OSHA OK. It was...glorious.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Dell's warranty process is awesome. Open chat, provide service tag. bada bing.

I've had simple shit with Lenovo involve hours on the phone and lengthy delays in shipping. Their call center is in Atlanta while Dell's is in India. Go figure.

This discussion has been closed.