As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [sysadmins] Thread: Quick, hide your user friendly policies, Bowen is coming back!

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    We started using the new ticket system yesterday. Today I got two calls that both started with "I know I am supposed to submit a ticket but..."

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    And those calls ended with "I need you to put in a ticket for that."

...Right?

• Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    And those calls ended with "I need you to put in a ticket for that."

...Right?

You have to. 3 years ago, we started doing tickets for everything our team was doing. Across the team of 5 people, we had 500ish tickets. Personally, I had close to 300. So when review time comes up, you can clearly say, "I'm doing about 2-3x as much as I should be. Gimme $$".

I am 100% positive that this is a firewall issue but I must be missing something that is preventing it from working. The ticketing system is on a server separate from our files and we want our remote office using it.

I added the ticket system to the network objects and then added it to the same NAT and ACL that the other servers are on. I can ping the original server no problem but am getting nothing from the ticketing one.

The odd part is, the remote server can ping and access the web page but any other computer on their network cannot. They can ping by name so it's not a DNS issue but all other pings time out. Their server can also ping my desktop by address so it sounds like a NAT issue. Any idea what I may be missing?

Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    TBH I didn't follow all of that.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Salesguy: "I need an email address added for our external customers."
    Me: "Okay."
    "It needs to be something@abc.com"
    "Um...our domain is def.com and not abc.com"
    "Can't you just change it?"
    "..."

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    ACLs and NAT? Sounds like cisco nightmares to me.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Salesguy: "I need an email address added for our external customers."
    Me: "Okay."
    "It needs to be something@abc.com"
    "Um...our domain is def.com and not abc.com"
    "Can't you just change it?"
    "..."

It's okay.

My call yesterday:

"Hi we keep getting disconnected."
    "Yes our internet is going on and off today, sorry."
    "Well this is really a problem, I can't get any work done."
    "Okay."
    "Fix it so I can get work done."
    "I don't control the internet."
    "Well this is completely unacceptable."
    "Who do you call when your internet goes out at home, do you tell yourself to fix it?"
    "No I call Time Warner."
    "Right, and how long does it take them to fix it?"
    "A few days, and someone has to come out."
    "Right. I have to wait for them to come out."
    "You don't fix stuff like this?"
    "What is it that you think I do?"
    "You fix computers."
    "Right, okay. Do you typically call a plumber to fix your stove?"
    "No, that doesn't make sense."
    "Why does calling the computer/IT guy make sense to fix the internet? Do you expect me to be able to fix phones? What about sinks? Hang some shelves for you too?"
    "You don't have to give me an attitude."
    "I apologize. I figured it would be obvious after the 5 years you've worked here what it is I can and cannot do."

Who wants to take bets that they'll talk to me about my attitude on the job on my performance review because I gave a lab technician attitude?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    You gotta get outta those conversations earlier, bowen, or yeah, I'd expect someone to come have a chat with ya about the attitude.

Like, at the point you went "I don't control the internet", I'd have replaced that with "I agree, it's unacceptable and I've expressed that to <OUR ISP>, and they've told me that they will have us fixed as soon as possible." Deflection toward the ISP, plus a wrap-up all in one.

Oh I've done that with them too.

Then they complain to the boss that I don't solve the issue.

She's a problem employee though so the more she complains the less her complaints carry any weight. It's all part of my plan.

In that case... have you considered stabbing her?

bowen wrote: »
    ACLs and NAT? Sounds like cisco nightmares to me.

Definitely the problem. Here's a more basic explanation of the issue.

Server A is here and running the ticket system. I also have server B and C.
    Server D is 3000km away and can see and ping A, B and C.
    Any computer on B network cannot ping A although then can ping B and C.
    A was added to the same configuration groups as B and C.

DNS problem is ruled out. Biggest confusion is that D can access A while the other PCs can't.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if dnsmasq can be configured to assign it's automatic hostnames from a list of words? I'd like to have a big dictionary of greek gods or something, so when automatic hostnames get assigned they're human pronounceable and easier to type.

Probably no exempt rules for the traffic.

Like source: 192.168.0.0/24 destination: 192.168.1.0/24 (outbound) for A
    source: 192.168.1.0/24 destination: 192.168.0.0/25 (outbound) for B

If your VPN is active, anyways, would probably be the reason. Assuming you also added permit rules under the sec policy too for the appropriate network activity.

I hate cisco, by the way. You'd figure VPNs would automagically have the NAT exemption status just by the nature of what you're doing.

• KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    afterschool lego mindstorms teacher: "Hi, I need this archaic program installed on 8 computers by 4 p.m today."
    me: ok I will try and do that, I am assigned to another school right now so I will have to remote in and try installing it that way. Do you have the install files?
    teacher: "yes but I only have one disc. can you just copy it to the rest of them?"
    me: unfortunately we live in the dark ages and my wan link to that school flies by at a speeding 6mbps. it would save you time if you copied the files over and I ran the installer.
    teacher: ok I will do that.

after a few installs it becomes apparent that the installer is broke.

me: I will see what I can do when I am at the school next

teacher proceeds to get a hold of my boss and the boss lady says make it happen.

me: copy install files over to 30 computers locally and then attempt to run them locally on each client remotely

install works but app crashes.

Teacher sends email to bosswoman that only one works.

me: cry a little and proceed to figure out that the patch for the lego unsupported product breaks the install. proceed to delete installed files and install without patch.

Maybe the teacher will learn that springing I need shit installed that is clunky and awful is probably not something you spring on someone with 4 hours until you need it. no? ok nevermind.

Rant Complete. have a cookie.

Kharnastus wrote: »
    afterschool lego mindstorms teacher: "Hi, I need this archaic program installed on 8 computers by 4 p.m today."
    me: ok I will try and do that, I am assigned to another school right now so I will have to remote in and try installing it that way. Do you have the install files?
    teacher: "yes but I only have one disc. can you just copy it to the rest of them?"
    me: unfortunately we live in the dark ages and my wan link to that school flies by at a speeding 6mbps. it would save you time if you copied the files over and I ran the installer.

teacher proceeds to get a hold of my boss and the boss lady says make it happen.

me: copy install files over to 30 computers locally and then attempt to run them locally on each client remotely

me: cry a little and proceed to figure out that the patch for the lego unsupported product breaks the install. proceed to delete installed files and install without patch.

Maybe the teacher will learn that springing I need shit installed that is clunky and awful is probably not something you spring on someone with 4 hours until you need it. no? ok nevermind.

"Shitty planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine. Calling my boss and ranting like a petulant douchegoblin, however, seems to."

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Seems all online services hate IE 10. I've had to downgrade 2 more as ADP's online site did some upgrade and now 10 breaks it.

IE 10 has totally removed all ActiveX web stuff. So any IE specific site that use any ActiveX stuff won't work and there is no way to get them to work except to run them in compatibility mode(which makes IE 10 look like IE 8 to sites accessed while compatibility is on).

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    I had a website that only works in IE10 today.

I wasn't sure what to think about it.

Someone from the laboratory we use told us we need to downgrade to IE6.

But most of the office is using Windows7 now. They told me to legitimately downgrade our machines to XP.

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Something really weird today when trying to configure a web server: Pages would display without CSS or images, but otherwise fine.

45 minutes later:

Why the hell would you ever install IIS without giving it the ability to serve static content? Like... what.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I did not even know that was possible.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I did not even know that was possible.

If it is, to configure it, you must have to do some serious mental and configuration gymnastics to accomplish it.

Enough that you'd go "Hey wait, why would I ever do this?"

IIS makes me want to punch kittens with the amount of configuration you have to go through to serve shit.

Or at least, it used to the last time I had to try it. Of course, I had to try it on a Server '03 box... Still. IIS is a pain in my ass, and it can die in a fire.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    It's not too bad nowadays.

Bowen agreeing to both of those posts confuses me.

Bowen remembers NT4 as well as 2k3 Server.

I'll have to look up something on serving a Web Service (or whatever that project-type is called in Visual Studio now) and see what kind of fun that is to set up on a Server '12 box.

It seemed really silly the amount of stuff you had to do to get it to serve an ASP.NET 2 Web Service...

Getting .NET stuff to work on IIS is its own little hell.

I'm legit surprised its as difficult as it is.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    I am 100% positive that this is a firewall issue but I must be missing something that is preventing it from working. The ticketing system is on a server separate from our files and we want our remote office using it.

I added the ticket system to the network objects and then added it to the same NAT and ACL that the other servers are on. I can ping the original server no problem but am getting nothing from the ticketing one.

The odd part is, the remote server can ping and access the web page but any other computer on their network cannot. They can ping by name so it's not a DNS issue but all other pings time out. Their server can also ping my desktop by address so it sounds like a NAT issue. Any idea what I may be missing?

Have you opened up the GUI admin tool and taken a look at what the packet tracer says? I know it's heresy to suggest using ASDM over the CLI but when it comes to troubleshooting NAT/ACL issues it's the only way.

Just checked using the packet tracer and it shows that it should be working perfectly using the source IP of the computer yet when I switch to the computer I get nothing.

edited October 2013
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Myiagros wrote: »

Have you opened up the GUI admin tool and taken a look at what the packet tracer says? I know it's heresy to suggest using ASDM over the CLI but when it comes to troubleshooting NAT/ACL issues it's the only way.

The only people who say this suck cisco's dick. The UI is superior to having to know cisco's custom iptables nonsense.

bowen on
    bowen wrote: »
    Getting .NET stuff to work on IIS is its own little hell.

I'm legit surprised its as difficult as it is.

Exactly. Hell, the only reason I'd be using IIS is because I'm doing something with a .NET assembly that I can't do with mono and Apache/Nginx yet...

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Server ram question.

My Hyper-V servers have used up all their RAM and Exchange and SQL are complaining. Time for more memory. CDW has the memory I need at $210 per 8 gig dimm. Memory America, a site that I had not heard of until this morning, has the exact same memory for one third the price.

Am I right to be suspicious? That's a hell of a price difference.

CDW has a lot more overhead, I'd imagine. Memory America makes me think it's some dude running this website out of his basement. He probably doesn't keep inventory, and orders it directly from the manufacturer. No warehouse and staff = lower cost.

Judging by their address the office park there isn't very large, so it's probably 2-3 employees. They don't order bulk like CDW does and make up in volume, they order less, pay the higher cost, and keep their overhead low.

Fixed my problem. I didn't even think about having to configure the local firewall to allow the connections through.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    So I have a weird one, and MS has jack for answers. I have a user who has an out of memory error when trying to open Excel sheets. We've reinstalled Excel, tried closing everything but Excel. It's different sheets and different times every day. I'm doing a saving throw against re-imaging her machine with the hive mind. Any thoughts?
    Couple of questions for you, if this is still open:
    1- Are multiple instance of Excel open when this happens?
    1- Are dual monitors in use?

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Server ram question.

My Hyper-V servers have used up all their RAM and Exchange and SQL are complaining. Time for more memory. CDW has the memory I need at $210 per 8 gig dimm. Memory America, a site that I had not heard of until this morning, has the exact same memory for one third the price.

When it comes to heavy lifting like that, I just get the RAM through the server's manufacturer. I haven't noticed a major price difference and they can't bitch about the hardware if it came from them. Well, they can, but they'll be the one's replacing it within 2 hours so I can place all the blame on them. I find that sometimes paying a little more for that type of comfort/convenience saves me a ton of aggravation and stress.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Server ram question.

When it comes to heavy lifting like that, I just get the RAM through the server's manufacturer. I haven't noticed a major price difference and they can't bitch about the hardware if it came from them. Well, they can, but they'll be the one's replacing it within 2 hours so I can place all the blame on them. I find that sometimes paying a little more for that type of comfort/convenience saves me a ton of aggravation and stress.

That's funny, I emailed my account rep at IBM. Twice. He hasn't bothered to email me back.

Le_Goat wrote: »
    Server ram question.

That's funny, I emailed my account rep at IBM. Twice. He hasn't bothered to email me back.
    That sucks. Every time that I email an account rep's boss to tell him/her that their underling is doing a great job and that I appreciate their help, that person gets promoted and I get stuck with someone like with what you're dealing with. Almost makes me regret the previous action, but I think it's important for people to receive recognition for doing a fantastic job.

• Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    Kharnastus wrote: »

I had a similar situation but I killed it in the bud before it got out of hand.

Basically went:
    "We need this 12 year old version of mavis beacon installed in our computer lab"
    "Let me evaluate and see if it is compatible with our terminal server...aaaand it's really really not. sorry."
    "Can we buy a new version of mavis beacon?"
    "Their latest version has a faq about the application not starting correctly on widescreen monitors. What's their solution? A refund."
    "So, we shouldn't buy it?"
    "..."

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Just FYI if you Google "Chetan Savade" this thread is now the fourth overall result.

So if Mr. Savade ever wants to move on from his position at Symantec and prospective employers Google him, they are going to think there is a whole forum of people who worship him as a god or something.

This discussion has been closed.