As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [sysadmins] Thread: Quick, hide your user friendly policies, Bowen is coming back!

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    It probably shouldn't surprise me how highly Google ranks anything on these forums, but somehow it always does.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    We should go for number 1.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    His twitter is pretty funny.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    So Honky is god the father, Chetan is the holy spirit (everywhere and nowhere at once). We're only one deity short of a proper trinity!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Can I be the blood god?

Wait I got it:
    Bowen is god the father, passing down law and punishment with no heed to the lamentations of his users.
    Honky is god the son, who was with us for a time and learned our ways, then ascended to the programmers thread and told us we would one day follow him.
    Chetan Savade is the holy ghost, he may or may not be here, and you suspect some bureaucrat made him up.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Being stuck on IE8 is kind of a drag. (We need it for a Seibel add-on)
    If you go to Gmail with IE8, it's telling our field agents to download Chrome, which causes a whole host of other issues when it takes over as the default web browser. The sooner we go over to Dynamics the better!

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Does anybody have any experience with Intel Active System console, and more specifically, getting it to actually work in tandem with IE Hard Admin mode?

I can't actually work out what the hell setting I'm meant to change to allow ASC to work through the ridiculous block absolutely everything settings that hard admin mode enforces.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    If you go to Gmail with IE8, it's telling our field agents to download Chrome, which causes a whole host of other issues when it takes over as the default web browser. The sooner we go over to Dynamics the better!

It does the same thing with 9 every other times I log in and its really frickin annoying. I can't find any way to make it stop.

steam_sig.png
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    You can make it stop by restricting executables rights for your users :P

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Just checked using the packet tracer and it shows that it should be working perfectly using the source IP of the computer yet when I switch to the computer I get nothing.
    Intriguing.

I've been in this situation more than once.

Have you checked what logs the syslog viewer in ASDM is spitting out? Filter it down! Look at it in real time.

Things that have done this to me in the past also include messing up the network object definitions, having the NAT object instead of the internal object where the other should be and vice versa, the windows firewall, sending everything to the wrong email address, fat fingering the ports involved, surprise routing shennanigans (WAIT, THE PACKET IS GOING THROUGH THE DMZ?!)

EDIT: Just saw you solved it. It was my first thought, but I wanted to narrow it down before suggesting it. We are now brothers.

Apothe0sis on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Myiagros wrote: »
    I am 100% positive that this is a firewall issue but I must be missing something that is preventing it from working. The ticketing system is on a server separate from our files and we want our remote office using it.

I added the ticket system to the network objects and then added it to the same NAT and ACL that the other servers are on. I can ping the original server no problem but am getting nothing from the ticketing one.

The odd part is, the remote server can ping and access the web page but any other computer on their network cannot. They can ping by name so it's not a DNS issue but all other pings time out. Their server can also ping my desktop by address so it sounds like a NAT issue. Any idea what I may be missing?

Have you opened up the GUI admin tool and taken a look at what the packet tracer says? I know it's heresy to suggest using ASDM over the CLI but when it comes to troubleshooting NAT/ACL issues it's the only way.

The only people who say this suck cisco's dick. The UI is superior to having to know cisco's custom iptables nonsense.

It depends on what I am doing - sometimes the CLI is fast and useful. Sometimes it is archaic and horrible. I hate the way they do routing and NAT now anyway.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I finally got the server in the other day that we took from our other office. I crack it open and it has a single hard drive. For some reason they thought it was a good idea to keep files for million dollar projects on a server without RAID and put all their trust in Backup Exec tape backups. I now have to wait for clearance to pick up 6 new hard drives to build a RAID.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    Mei Hikari wrote: »

No, I want it to make it stop prompting me. I've clicked away that box dozens of times. No google, I clearly don't want your shit on this computer. You track everything else. Why can't you remember that?

steam_sig.png

No, I want it to make it stop prompting me. I've clicked away that box dozens of times. No google, I clearly don't want your shit on this computer. You track everything else. Why can't you remember that?

Have you tried upgrading to chrome?

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I don't know why anyone would choose to use any version of IE if they could use Chrome or even Firefox.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    Silly IT decisions to lock them into IE because of GPOs?

Vendors still targeting IE6?

Those are the only two legitimate reasons. Chrome plays nice with domains now, too, so the first one just means your IT guy hates change. Hell if you really want it, slam in IETab as a required addon in your domain. I can't think of why you wouldn't switch to chrome. Adblock means less viruses, too.

Because I can't lock Chrome settings in GPO. Students get IE, staff/faculty get chrome.

Because we have a ton various vendor softwares and websites that target some version of IE (thankfully only I think 1 that needs 6, and only about 3 people in the whole company use it) and I just can't be bothered to have 2 web browsers open simultaneously. FireFox is on this computer. I just don't use it.

steam_sig.png
    Because I can't lock Chrome settings in GPO. Students get IE, staff/faculty get chrome.

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/187202?hl=en

Because we have a ton various vendor softwares and websites that target some version of IE (thankfully only I think 1 that needs 6, and only about 3 people in the whole company use it) and I just can't be bothered to have 2 web browsers open simultaneously. FireFox is on this computer. I just don't use it.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ie-tab/hehijbfgiekmjfkfjpbkbammjbdenadd?hl=en-US

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/187202?hl=en

Yes, I know about this. Last time I tried it, it set my GPO properly but students could still change settings during their session.

We're the top google hit with I am Chetan Savade

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    People target IE because they know it's on every single system. It's both the reason that so much software leans on IE and so much malware attacks it, because it's always on every system.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    People target IE because they know it's on every single system. It's both the reason that so much software leans on IE and so much malware attacks it, because it's always on every system.

Among my site's regular visitors the percentage of user on IE has dropped to 20%. The biggest group is Safari now (presumably from all the iPads and iPhones.) I'm not sure targeting IE is such a good idea anymore.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any suggestion for how to push updates to contacts for iPhones?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy

Among my site's regular visitors the percentage of user on IE has dropped to 20%. The biggest group is Safari now (presumably from all the iPads and iPhones.) I'm not sure targeting IE is such a good idea anymore.

Its not that everyone "uses" it, it's that you KNOW it's on every Windows PC.

If you write something so that it works in IE, you know every single windows client has the software already on the machine that is supported by what you've built.

Which is really just a way of being lazy.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Our Dynamics users have IE9 and they haven't had any issues. Of course, Chrome is now their default browser because they chose a product that won't work with any other browser than Chrome.

What is it with developers/vendors/designers these days who won't cater to their customers? We have one designer who always bitches about us being a Microsoft shop and keeps making templates for Macs that aren't working properly with IE/Windows, then says it's our fault. I'm sorry, who is paying you to do this? That's right, we are. If you would like to remain under our employment, stop being a douche and make it work for our systems. Otherwise, we'll go elsewhere.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Our Dynamics users have IE9 and they haven't had any issues. Of course, Chrome is now their default browser because they chose a product that won't work with any other browser than Chrome.

What is it with developers/vendors/designers these days who won't cater to their customers? We have one designer who always bitches about us being a Microsoft shop and keeps making templates for Macs that aren't working properly with IE/Windows, then says it's our fault. I'm sorry, who is paying you to do this? That's right, we are. If you would like to remain under our employment, stop being a douche and make it work for our systems. Otherwise, we'll go elsewhere.

Custom solutions are expensive. They are absolutely worth their weight in gold though.

It all becomes about sunk costs, and you really need to be good at highlighting that to a manager. Sure you could save $10,000 by getting the cheaper solution that works in IE6 only, or you could waste $10 an hour (at the minimum) for each person and IT staff that has to support it, and let's be conservative and say you waste 10 hours a month and have only 10 employees. In a year you've eaten that $10,000 "savings."

Meanwhile the other project was easier, but required less babysitting, and less hardware and support staff to make it work. Sure it carried a bigger price tag, but, well, you see what that got you.

The reason it will still be a top target is because of the monetary incentive. Most businesses still use IE. Most Safari users are just consumers. How often are prime targets going to be the Smith's on Elm St. who enjoy NPR and How I Met Your Mother versus Bastards Incorporated on Wall St. who enjoy raping all of us by the millions?

Also your dev is probably complaining because those mac templates are probably HTML5 compatible, which IE doesn't respect. But every other browser does. But yeah if you're a microsoft shop, he should be developing for it.

The bigger question is, why's he on a mac?

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Our issue is that the computers in the field were bought by the agents themselves. So they can, technically, run whatever they want as long as it doesn't run afowl of compliance. They want to check gmail, that cool, as long as they aren't putting corp stuff on it. Be we need IE8 for Seibel and some reporting stuff. We are migrating off, but it's taking forever

Speaking of stuff, apparently NPR updated their website and it is ugly/broken as shit on IE9.

steam_sig.png
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Dunno, I just visited them on IE10 and it looks passable... ohhh IE9....

Yeah... It's like the IE6 of the modern era.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    I'm on IE11 >_>

edited October 2013
    Well, the developers made a "fix" to a problem with their database application, but failed to mention that it needed to be on a 64-bit installation... would have been nice to know. EDIT: Their solution was to upgrade to a new OS. Yeah, because after spending as much as we just did on your development, we should definitely get a new OS, which by the way wouldn't work on the hardware, so I had to spec out and buy a brand new $8,000 system.

The designer on the Mac is just plain stupid. All she is required to do is make images and PDFs that are editable and look pretty. She's the person I mentioned many moons ago who when I asked for her to provide me with the RGB or hexadecimal values for a specific shade of green, she sent me a screenshot with an circle and an arrow with the words "This one" written next to the arrow. Like I said, plain stupid.

Le_Goat on
    Well, the developers made a "fix" to a problem with their database application, but failed to mention that it needed to be on a 64-bit installation... would have been nice to know.

The designer on the Mac is just plain stupid. All she is required to do is make images and PDFs that are editable and look pretty. She's the person I mentioned many moons ago who when I asked for her to provide me with the RGB or hexadecimal values for a specific shade of green, she sent me a screenshot with an circle and an arrow with the words "This one" written next to the arrow. Like I said, plain stupid.

http://instant-eyedropper.com/

You just replaced an employee.

Well, the developers made a "fix" to a problem with their database application, but failed to mention that it needed to be on a 64-bit installation... would have been nice to know.

http://instant-eyedropper.com/

You just replaced an employee.
    That is a pretty awesome tool. I just found my late Friday activity, thanks!

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Gah, between the mesmerizing thrum of the A/C and the hypnotic visual wash of watching a robocopy session, I think I almost just nodded off in the server room. Damn fridays.

Must...caffeinate.

I have lost count of the number of times a progress bar has quite literally put me to sleep.

This discussion has been closed.