As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [sysadmins] Thread: Quick, hide your user friendly policies, Bowen is coming back!

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Oh I've done that with them too.

Then they complain to the boss that I don't solve the issue.

She's a problem employee though so the more she complains the less her complaints carry any weight. It's all part of my plan.

All according to keikaku.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    So hey, today is my last day at OldJob and I start on Monday at NewJob!

Thanks to all of you for answering my questions and for just being here as a community to gripe to. And for @Feral for helping me fake it until I made it.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Oh good new thread.

Sorry I abandoned the old thread.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Contractors wanting you to use one of your software licenses on their personal computer is the dumbest thing I've had to deal with.

Oooh ooh we have the opposite issue at my company.

We have a number of on-site contractors who spend 100% of their time at a client. Let's call them Fuckmuppet, Inc. And let's call my company Dilbert LLC.

Sometime, about two years ago, Fuckmuppet, Inc. took two of these contractors' computers, owned and paid for by Dilbert LLC, and reformatted them, reinstalled their own Windows & Office licenses, and added them to the Fuckmuppet domain.

All I knew at the time is that the computers stopped checking in to my remote administration system. But that wasn't unusual; Fuckmuppet, Inc. locks down their networks pretty heavily. We've had issues with contractors being unable to, for example, browse the web at all while onsite at Fuckmuppet locations because of Fuckmuppet's web filter configuration.

I only discovered this when one of the users brought the computer back to my office at Dilbert and asked me to figure out why it was so slow. I couldn't log into the damn thing because my admin password didn't work and it booted to a Fuckmuppet domain login. Partly out of spite, I ran the PNH windows password reset tool so I could at least get up to a Windows desktop and see what was installed on it. At that point I discovered - hey, completely different version of Office and antivirus and so forth.

The user didn't really give a shit about this because they don't use any Dilbert network resources. Like, at all. Their email addresses are fuckmuppet.com and they only have Contact objects on our Active Directory. They don't even have dilbert.com email addresses or user accounts.

I was a little pissed, though, just out of the principle of the thing. I wouldn't borrow your car and return it to you with a new paint job and a ground effects kit. Why would you take a contractor's computer and reinstall Windows?

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. The users are crying that their computers are old and slow. My response: you don't have dilbert.com email addresses, you use entirely fuckmuppet.com network accounts and Fuckmuppet software licenses. 100% of your time is spent on-site at Fuckmuppet, doing stuff for Fuckmuppet. Fuckmuppet should issue you a new computer.

Naturally, the sales rep responsible for them objected because he didn't want to rock the boat at Fuckmuppet and it went up to senior management and became a small drama.

What we ended up agreeing on was buying computers for them and sending them over with bare OS installs and no productivity suite, no domain, no antivirus or third-party apps. Dilbert owns the hardware; Fuckmuppet is responsible for the software licenses and network settings. Everybody seemed to be on board with this...

...until last week, I get a phone call from one of the users. "Hey, Fuckmuppet IT told me that they couldn't set up my email because there's no Outlook on this computer..."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    ...until last week, I get a phone call from one of the users. "Hey, Fuckmuppet IT told me that they couldn't set up my email because there's no Outlook on this computer..."
    *sigh* We really should get a Face Palm button for shit like that.

I will say that the story was much more entertaining simply due to "Fuckmuppet"

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

Thanks to all of you for answering my questions and for just being here as a community to gripe to. And for @Feral for helping me fake it until I made it.

Will you be joining urahonky in the programmers' thread?

Le_Goat wrote: »
    *sigh* We really should get a Face Palm button for shit like that.

I will say that the story was much more entertaining simply due to "Fuckmuppet"

I get kind of frustrated with them in general, mostly due to their network lockdown and their IT department's inability to deal with it in any coherent manner.

Like I said above, often one of our people will be completely unable to browse the web onsite. More often, they just can't get to our webmail or terminal servers. So we'll put in a request with Fuckmuppet IT just to unblock the specific addresses and protocols that our people need to do their job; it will take them weeks to respond and they never, ever do it right the first time.

Given that it's always exactly the same IPs and ports, I don't know what the problem is. But often they'll unblock one IP and not another; or one port and not another. It's always "it must be a problem on your end" or "it must be a problem with your guy's computer" until I push back hard and they finally escalate it to somebody who knows what he's doing.

I get kind of frustrated with them in general, mostly due to their network lockdown and their IT department's inability to deal with it in any coherent manner.

Like I said above, often one of our people will be completely unable to browse the web onsite. More often, they just can't get to our webmail or terminal servers. So we'll put in a request with Fuckmuppet IT just to unblock the specific addresses and protocols that our people need to do their job; it will take them weeks to respond and they never, ever do it right the first time.

Given that it's always exactly the same IPs and ports, I don't know what the problem is. But often they'll unblock one IP and not another; or one port and not another. It's always "it must be a problem on your end" or "it must be a problem with your guy's computer" until I push back hard and they finally escalate it to somebody who knows what he's doing.
    Oh god that sounds frustrating as all hell. I often wonder if other IT departments are as inept as they make themselves seem... which then makes me wonder "why am I not getting paid more?"

edited October 2013

Oh god that sounds frustrating as all hell. I often wonder if other IT departments are as inept as they make themselves seem... which then makes me wonder "why am I not getting paid more?"

FWIW, at that company, their IT people aren't paid well at all.

Feral on

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    ACLs and NAT? Sounds like cisco nightmares to me.

Definitely the problem. Here's a more basic explanation of the issue.

Server A is here and running the ticket system. I also have server B and C.
    Server D is 3000km away and can see and ping A, B and C.
    Any computer on B network cannot ping A although then can ping B and C.
    A was added to the same configuration groups as B and C.

DNS problem is ruled out. Biggest confusion is that D can access A while the other PCs can't.

I hate NATing.

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Contractors wanting you to use one of your software licenses on their personal computer is the dumbest thing I've had to deal with.

The field agents in my company buy the systems, and install our corp image on it. They have to pay a monthly "tech fee" for the software licenses, and depending on what is installed, the monthly fee can go up or down. The moment Fuckmuppet Inc tried to install their image on our systems, we would outright refuse support until our image was put back on. If they continue to use our image and the system doesn't check in within 30 days, we lock the system down and delete the bitlocker keys until they can call us. We then give them the bitlocker recovery code and have them log into our network so they can check in with us to replace the keys.

If they want to use another image, they use a disk we send them that put a bare-bones OS back on, and that removes the tech fees and then they can do whatever they want with the computer, keeping in mind the system is now deleted from corp and any support you need to have, yo now call the OEM. On the corp side, my system here at work isn't mine, and if I so much as plug a flash drive in, can get in trouble. (Not really, unless i inadvertently put a virus on my system, then I've got 'splainin to so.)

halkun on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    We're getting some new clients. Just going over their contact info. We've got 2 comcast e-mail addresses, a hotmail address and an AOL address.

Crap, we are going to have so many issues with these guys.

• Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    We're getting some new clients. Just going over their contact info. We've got 2 comcast e-mail addresses, a hotmail address and an AOL address.

Crap, we are going to have so many issues with these guys.
    Ahahahahaha....

Run. Now.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    it boggles my mind how many 'professional' companies don't register a domain or get email

Hover will set up Gapps for Business on a domain for like...$6 a month

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Yeah this is pretty common in the business world.

All of the hospitals, laboratories, and medical companies have their own IT departments and their own software and all that. When one of them fails? My fault.

Always, without fail, "Nothing we can do, contact your tech support."

Ever since I've started sending them bills for my time on behalf of my company, since I don't have a service contract to troubleshoot their shit, they've been a bit more proactive in making sure it's not my problem.

Yes, when your software spits out errors because its misconfigured, that's totally my problem. "Permissions issue" is the number one shit thrown around.

I'm probably the only IT that doesn't give everyone administrator to the whole domain. One of the softwares we use blew their shit when I refused to give everyone administrator. I had their payment withheld until they got their software working properly. Sorry, you shouldn't need administrator to be running a program that reads from a database.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Speaking of domain administrator, our remote office had 2 people using the full administrator account for logging into the server to make changes, one of the people was a contractor. When I changed the password when I took over I had to explain to them that there is a thing called a domain admin group and they could use their own account for signing in if they needed to make changes to their software install.

One of them was also using TeamViewer instead of RDP...

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    Also stupidly common.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »

Will you be joining urahonky in the programmers' thread?

Nope, just got a job with another MSP. Better pay, 1/3 the commute, bigger company so hopefully more room to advance.

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2013

I'm probably the only IT that doesn't give everyone administrator to the whole domain. One of the softwares we use blew their shit when I refused to give everyone administrator. I had their payment withheld until they got their software working properly. Sorry, you shouldn't need administrator to be running a program that reads from a database.

Yea, I had an agent try and install a wireless printer (Which we don't support) and the install program popped up a warning saying they needed to contact their company IT department for Administrator access to install. I logged in, tried, right-click run as admin, and it said that we needed to log in as Administrator in order to install wireless printing. Because we removed both the Administrator account and the Administrator group on all the field machines. He was out of luck.

"Am I supposed to run a USB 20 feet now! This is why I bought the printer!"
    "'You will have to manually add it to your wireless network"
    "How do I do that"
    "You will need to call you ISP, they need to provide you with the access key and then you can configure using the manual"
    "Why can't you do it?"
    "Because I'm not there. You are at an advantage having the manual in front of you."

halkun on
    Removing the administrator account and group seems problematic at its face.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Especially on old systems that have trouble connecting to the network, or were never on the domain. At least there are programs that you can boot into that will enable the admin account and change the password.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    In this day and age, with how computers are a major part in almost everyone's life, it still boggles my mind that users trust everything they install.

My son's mom just got a new laptop, so I helped her get everything setup and removed all the pre-installed crap that came with it. I stepped out to grab some munchies, probably only about 20 minutes. I get back and she's telling me about all these weird icons, programs, and popups have taken over. It took me over 45 minutes to clean up the mess. Really? I'm gone for 20 minutes and you fuck things up that bad? "I'm sorry, I'm bad with computers." No, you just need to pay attention and read the god damn dialogue boxes when they pop up.

I almost dropped her account down to "Standard User" permissions, but I didn't feel like getting calls at 11 pm asking why she can't install stupid-ass games.

Saying you're bad with computers in 2013 is like admitting you're having a hard time working your mechanical pencil.

In 1994 I could give it a pass.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Ehh, I'd say it's more like can't operate a car.
    I mean, I can't do much on my car aside from changing some fluids, wiper blades, and tires (though other than wiper blades I never do it myself anyway). But I can drive the damn thing, and turn it off and on without help.

steam_sig.png
    I mean, I can't do much on my car aside from changing some fluids, wiper blades, and tires (though other than wiper blades I never do it myself anyway). But I can drive the damn thing, and turn it off and on without help.
    Going on that, if some random mechanic was flushing your radiator but said "Hey, if you want this, you'll need to install this little beacon that makes things safer and then we'll also need to put this advertising lamp on top of your car, and then we'll also need give you this anti-theft device that you'll need to pay us to remove"... would you do it?

Oh my Aunt Jemima emailed me this maple syrup recipe link? Oh it's exe? Better open it! I haven't talked to her in years I'm not even sure how she got my email... Wait do I even have an Aunt Jemima...? Why is that name so familiar, gosh.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Going on that, if some random mechanic was flushing your radiator but said "Hey, if you want this, you'll need to install this little beacon that makes things safer and then we'll also need to put this advertising lamp on top of your car, and then we'll also need give you this anti-theft device that you'll need to pay us to remove"... would you do it?

Some people will agree to anything if you promise them their mouse pointer will look like a unicorn when you're done.

First day on new job. Lunch with boss, then going to be dropped off at a client who needs their workstation imaging system overhauled

I have no experience with such systems. Should be fun! :rotate:

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Halkun's job is wacky. I've always imagined it's some kind of work from home scam. At least Halk's on the right end of it.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    I'm probably the only IT that doesn't give everyone administrator to the whole domain.

Pretty much any large company is going to deny their users admin rights to their own workstations. It's a known best practice.

I certainly don't let my users run in admin rights (and I don't run in admin rights myself) and just anecdotally speaking, I've found that the majority of companies with less than 50 users do let their users have admin, and the majority of companies with more than 50 users don't.

The best scenario is when you have a workstation management platform that will automatically change workstation admin passwords on a timed basis. Everdream/Dell Controlpoint will do that, so will Zenith/Infotech/Continuum/whateverthehellthey'recallingthemselvesthesedays.

But yeah

"requires admin rights to run" is #1 on my personal list of "reasons your software sucks"

Usually it's caused by the app caching some session data or per-user settings to a location that you shouldn't cache session data or per-user settings. Like it wants to make a scratch file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Publisher\App. No! Bad program! That's what %appdata% is for!

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

As someone who almost got talked into buying every add-on when I bought a car, and still walked out with half of it -- :oops:

But I'm going to make damn sure it doesn't happen again, so the important part is learn your lesson, folks.

My personal favorite is the crutch everything and their mother uses in the registry.

Listen, no, no one should need to write to the registry at all, ever. I'm not even sure why it's writable to begin with, stop it.

Your program should be self contained. If it can't be moved between machines with a cut and paste, you're a bad software developer. I didn't say it necessarily needs to run without reauthing the PC, just that that's how it should work.

IE, how OSX does it.

Oh god that operating system is amazing.

If I could make everyone use mac minis, I would be so happy.

I thought Macs can't join a domain. They also can't handle HTTPS very well... like at all

If I could make everyone use mac minis thin clients and VMs rebuilt from a master image each night, I would be so happy.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    I thought Macs can't join a domain. They also can't handle HTTPS very well... like at all

Wait what? No.

Like maybe in 1995.

They can do both.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Halkun's job is wacky. I've always imagined it's some kind of work from home scam. At least Halk's on the right end of it.

Are you sure? He's been living in an apartment the size of a shoebox for the last 12 years.

Aioua wrote: »

Are you sure? He's been living in an apartment the size of a shoebox for the last 12 years.

Halk do you need help? Are they beating you?

Oh shit they're watching you aren't they.

doublepost if you want us to call the cops

This discussion has been closed.