As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [sysadmins] Thread: Quick, hide your user friendly policies, Bowen is coming back!

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Unfortunately, I have an inflexible decree that all updates be released to workstations without prejudice, while all updates be released only to the test server OU for 1 month before full release. These two conditions together have pushed me to a state where nearly every update must be individually reviewed and its current install state assessed before I can change it.

I'm almost 1/3rd done.

MFW+I+shoot+myself+_2eba859e18dd3afa519389129947bafa.jpg

Cog on
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I have an inflexible decree that all updates be released to workstations without prejudice, while all updates be released only to the test server OU for 1 month before full release. These two conditions together have pushed me to a state where nearly every update must be individually reviewed and its current install state assessed before I can change it.

I'm almost 1/3rd done.

I'd also like to vote for a "hug" button

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Man isn't it awesome when SSO shits the bed at 3:00 in the morning and pulls down almost our entire intranet with it? It was one of those. "Ok, what does work" kind of situations.

halkun on
    Le_Goat wrote: »

I'm almost 1/3rd done.

I'd also like to vote for a "hug" button

Bro? is all we have. At least it is some show of solidarity.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Okay, so I've got this bootable USB key that will boot a WIM. I'm trying to get it to let me choose from a couple of them, but I'm missing something.
    So, the ISO i started with has the wim in \SOURCES\boot.wim. I tossed my extra wim in there as \SOURCES\boot2.wim. Created new entries in the BCD store that point to it, with all the proper ramdisk stuff. Made sure to edit the BCDs at \BOOT\BCD and \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BCD. Set default to {bootmgr} on both BCD stores. Timeout is 30.

Problem is, even after all this it's skipping bootmgr and going straight to booting boot.wim. What am I missing here?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    http://ipxe.org/wimboot

Are you using that @aioua?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited October 2013
    bowen wrote: »
    http://ipxe.org/wimboot

Are you using that @aioua?

I don't think so... I'm not exactly sure what you call what it is. I'm just cracking open existing ISOs that are on our network share and mucking about. They've just got
    \boot\
    \efi\
    \sources\
    BOOTMGR
    BOOTMGR.EFI

chilling inside, like a standard windows install disk.

I mean, maybe I should use that thing. I have this feeling that bootmgr is just unacceptable from this boot environment.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    Whelp. Since They sent out the notification that IE 10 would be automatically installed before actually asking me "Hey, can IE 10 be automatically installed via WSUS?", it now falls to me to push it out through GPO on 3 hours notice so They don't have egg on Their faces tomorrow.

• SentretSentret Registered User regular
    This will surely not cause any problems at all. You can expect a quiet and uneventful morning.

I threw up a totally untested MSI and linked it to all the non-server OUs. Lack of planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

• Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    Client got hit with CryptoLocker. Fun day. And which user gets it? Why, the financial controller of course! The one person in the company that has modify access to every shared drive!

Thankfully the backup shared folder has very strict NTFS permissions, so I was able to restore most of the files on the file server.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Anyone here had to work with HP data protector? it is poop, poop from a butt. It's what this one client of mine decided go to with to upgrade from their tape backups, and it fails all the fucking time (granted I am backing up 150+ servers with it that total hundreds of TB's of data but still, it's an enterprise product, and it just shits the bed with incomprehensible errors and HP support is useless. I want to go back to backup exec :(

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I love that the later internet explorers (9+, from memory) don't work with the the CA CertSrv web interface for 2008 R2. Not sure if that is the same for server 2012, but would not be surprised.

edited October 2013
    Whelp. Since They sent out the notification that IE 10 would be automatically installed before actually asking me "Hey, can IE 10 be automatically installed via WSUS?", it now falls to me to push it out through GPO on 3 hours notice so They don't have egg on Their faces tomorrow.
    Speak and ye shall receive. WSUS updated yesterday with IE 10 being listed as an available update: KB2718695

Also, if it isn't displayed, double-check to make sure that Update Rollups is checked off, else you won't get those.

Le_Goat on
    edited October 2013
    Speak and ye shall receive. WSUS updated yesterday with IE 10 being listed as an available update: KB2718695

banging_head_on_keyboard.jpg

Cog on
    Sorry I didn't notice it yesterday. My head was stuck in the updates for servers. I just started on the client updates this morning.

Sorry I didn't notice it yesterday. My head was stuck in the updates for servers. I just started on the client updates this morning.

Well I actually spent a bunch of time digging for it yesterday (admittedly in the morning) and saw nothing. I should have checked again in the afternoon, what with it being Patch Tuesday and all, but at that point I was already frantically trying to build the MSI set the GPO.

Anyone here had to work with HP data protector? it is poop, poop from a butt. It's what this one client of mine decided go to with to upgrade from their tape backups, and it fails all the fucking time (granted I am backing up 150+ servers with it that total hundreds of TB's of data but still, it's an enterprise product, and it just shits the bed with incomprehensible errors and HP support is useless. I want to go back to backup exec :(

You poor soul...

I really, really wish windows treated powershell scripts the same way it did batch scripts. I hate having to jump through hoops just to run one.

I spent about 10 hours over the last two days plowing through our patch approvals because they were such a filthy mess. Our Patch Manager license had expired so I had resorted to doing it through the WSUS interface. ~8000 patches and I wasn't quite half done.

Got sick of it a little earlier this morning and emailed Solar Winds to ask them to extend our trial license. They gave me a new key. Knocked out the rest of the approvals in about 10 minutes.

Return On Goddamn Investment.

I spent about 10 hours over the last two days plowing through our patch approvals because they were such a filthy mess. Our Patch Manager license had expired so I had resorted to doing it through the WSUS interface. ~8000 patches and I wasn't quite half done.

Got sick of it a little earlier this morning and emailed Solar Winds to ask them to extend our trial license. They gave me a new key. Knocked out the rest of the approvals in about 10 minutes.

Return On Goddamn Investment.
    They were awesome about extending the trial license for me. Other than a few people on Thwack, their customer service has been great.

edited October 2013
    Ticket : Client record has wrong SSN
    Type: Software failure

Ummm, if you put the SSN in wrong, that's not a software failure :/

halkun on
    Depends if you consider squishy carbon based life as software.

A fresh 2008 R2 install now has almost 200 updates to come current.

Can we get a fucking rollup for this already?

I've always found 200 to be the "sweet spot" when MS finally goes. "Yea, this is becoming a pain to update." I haven't kept track, but a new SP for win7 feels like it's due soon.

The "release all updates to all workstations without prejudice" policy lasted just a hair under 24 hours.

Some Office/Excel update broke some shit with Oracle and abort, abort, abort, abort

Didn't Windows 7 SP1 come out last year?

edited October 2013
    February 9, 2011

EDIT: Can you believe that OS is already 4 years old?

Cog on
    Update on my boot problems:

Gave up, sidestepped the issue entirely. Copied all the WIMs I wanted to the USB, made a little batch script that lets me select one and then writes it over BOOT.wim. Kinda slow, but gets the job done.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    February 9, 2011

EDIT: Can you believe that OS is already 4 years old?

Um?

EDIT: Oh, first date is SP1, ok.

Bigity on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Creating an OEM restore partition as part of a no-touch mass imaging operation: kind of a pain in the dick, actually!

But we got a hold of someone at Microsoft and he pointed us in the right direction for the ImageX commands; the trick now is to automate it so after the final sysprep (Out of Box Experience) the workstation shuts down and network boots to the WinPE server to pull the backup image and apply it to the recovery partition.

Ideally it would check and see if an OOBE image for that model is on the image server, create one if not and just pull it if yes.

• FrysdiskenFrysdisken Registered User regular
    Hooo, I've found out that we currently have 20+ virtual machines, with only a document containing user / password for each machine, with no information regarding OS, updates e.t.c.
    Is there anyway to find out what each machines setup i.e. what programs have been installed is in an easy way?

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Install Spiceworks?

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I had to boot a computer into Linux this morning to remove a file repeatedly trying to install 3 viruses because of people being dumb. Had to remove a shitload of malware from this same computer maybe a month ago.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    The best case for thin clients and workstation images that reset every night.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    We can all dream.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    The problem is you only ever find out it didn't work the next morning when everything is broken forever.

Though this is why I want the Linux desktop to become a thing: network booting, RAM-only images with aufs filesystems.

Come at me users.

I have a special thing for these kinds of users. I tally the time I spent cleaning their machine in the last couple of months, and then ask if I can implement a fix to prevent this. Usually the CFO/CTO agrees.

I then restrict executables to only ones already installed (details here) and usually remove the antivirus because they won't need it anymore. I love it.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The problem is you only ever find out it didn't work the next morning when everything is broken forever.

Though this is why I want the Linux desktop to become a thing: network booting, RAM-only images with aufs filesystems.

Come at me users.

I am really close to implementing a system like that.

Dropping a workstation in without imaging it? Yes please.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    User who just unboxed a new laptop: 'Can you backup all of my old files and put them on my new machine? This is hurting my productivity'
    Us: 'Sure, of course, just power on the old one and the new one and give me a few minutes.'
    User: 'I don't have time for that right now. I'm on a deadline.'

I...uh...I....wut?

This discussion has been closed.