As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [sysadmins] Thread: Quick, hide your user friendly policies, Bowen is coming back!

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    That poor guy is just someone who works in the office that is doing what his corrupt boss tells him, and is trying to keep his job.
    I don't know. As the IT admin, you typically have to describe in a legal way what technologies you employ and use through various technical documentation, although I totally agree that the defense lawyer was coaching the shit out of the guy being questioned.

Also, if that guy got fired for telling the truth in the court of law, especially in one that involves a public office, there'd be another suite brought against the county office.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Right, and once the lawyer specified exactly what he meant (the literal photocopy function) then the whole thing was over.

Do you mean once the word 'Xerox' came out? You should read the next ten goddamn pages of the deposition, because I can assure you the whole thing is not just "over" at that point. The video ends, yes, because it's funny to end it then.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I don't know anything about this case in particular, but my guess is that it's something along these lines:

This OH county office is required to provide whatever records it has to anyone who asks for them because the records are all public information. For whatever reason (likely underhanded), the people in charge don't want anyone to have bulk access to these records, and so they make a policy to no longer provide digital copies of records and to charge $texas for paper copies. The businesses who use those records are obviously unhappy with this turn of events, so they rightfully sue. They are pretty obviously in the right, these records are public and impeding access to them is wrong, it's a pretty indefensible case. The scummy defense lawyer knows this, so he finds some portion of the lawsuit not directly related to the objectionable parts of the case that he can invalidate to get the whole case thrown out. He finds it in the photocopying vocabulary, so he instructs his witness to avoid using the word photocopy/photocopier anywhere in court at all ever (you'll notice, he objected to the question as soon as the word photocopy came out anyones mouth). That poor guy is just someone who works in the office that is doing what his corrupt boss tells him, and is trying to keep his job.

I will say this:
    I work for local government. Some of these companies request digital forms of data from our systems and due to current laws and/or other stuff I don't fully understand, we provide this data for a very cheap rate or free. Some of the information these companies request is absolutely horrific. I saw three people who are not low level task doers spend days taking the horrid output of our records system and attempt to filter through it to get the information a company wanted from us. Part of the problem is what is being requested, part of the problem is how terrible our system is at filtering the data, part of the problem is bad data, and part of the problem is the people. However, in that particular case we were obligated to provide that data for free, and yet our department spent hundreds of dollars in man hours to get it. These types of things happen almost weekly.
    I can understand why a local government would want to discourage these companies who ask for a lot of data because you could probably have full time employees doing these requests and still not be able to get them done in the time they are required. In the end it results in higher costs and higher taxes or the government falling behind in other areas because they spend so much time doing these public records requests.

Still no excuse for the $2/page and no digital rule they tried to pull though.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Court cases and bullshit petty semantic arguments like this are a microcosm of why we, as a people, cannot have nice things.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Right, and once the lawyer specified exactly what he meant (the literal photocopy function) then the whole thing was over.

Do you mean once the word 'Xerox' came out? You should read the next ten goddamn pages of the deposition, because I can assure you the whole thing is not just "over" at that point. The video ends, yes, because it's funny to end it then.

I didn't watch the video, I read that section of the deposition, up to when they started talking about faxes.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Huh. I guess I'm weird for not finding it that amusing.
    I didn't watch the video

Ok, see, now it's all starting to make sense.

• AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    oh god I had nachos in my mouth when he said "Xerox." send help I inhaled to much

Aiserou wrote: »
    oh god I had nachos in my mouth when he said "Xerox." send help I inhaled to much

This shit happened!

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    So the guy at work that I shared that with who has actually been deposed in a Patent lawsuit actually identified with the IT guy being questioned. Go figure.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Ok so I think I was finding that amusing for the wrong reasons? Wanting someone to be clear about what they meant by "photocopy machine" doesn't seem unreasonable to me, since that is such an unwieldy kludge of words that I have no idea what type of device they'd actually be referring to - as pointed out, is it dumb, networked, is it a multi-function device, is it being done by scanning and then printing later or whatever.

I actually want to read the transcript now. I'm kind of a geek when it comes to lawsuit cases and their inner workings. I find law absolutely fascinating.
    Aiserou wrote: »
    And now I want nachos... thanks

Ok so I think I was finding that amusing for the wrong reasons? Wanting someone to be clear about what they meant by "photocopy machine" doesn't seem unreasonable to me, since that is such an unwieldy kludge of words that I have no idea what type of device they'd actually be referring to - as pointed out, is it dumb, networked, is it a multi-function device, is it being done by scanning and then printing later or whatever.
    I think what made the whole thing great was the directing and the acting. Outside of it, the whole thing just seems like a legal headache, but how the whole video was done makes it's amazing (183%, if I remember correctly).

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I think what made the whole thing great was the directing and the acting. Outside of it, the whole thing just seems like a legal headache, but how the whole video was done makes it's amazing (183%, if I remember correctly).

Oh yeah the video is great. Just I read on in the thread and then thought "wait, am I taking the wrong side on this?"

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The video was hilarious. Thinking about it afterwards made me sad because I realized that I was laughing at a guy who was in a legit shit situation and probably just doing and saying what he was told.

I can't help it. Every single time I hear "Xerox" now, I giggle

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    The term "photocopy machine" is not at all ambiguous; especially not in common office-speak.

The refusal to answer the question was predicated on a defense lawyer coaching the guy to completely and utterly avoid the question and to repeat the phrase "I would like to answer your question/help..." so that he wasn't flat out refusing to be deposed thereby getting himself in some fun trouble. I honestly would not have been able to keep any semblance of cool in that situation. I support the deposing lawyer telling the guy that he wants him to state to the OH Supreme Court that he doesn't know what the fuck a photocopy machine is; hell, I think he was probably showing restraint at that point, because I'd have come over the fucking table by then had an uncomfortable "let me explain this to you" conversation with that guy a-la Daniel Day-Lewis's milkshake-conversation in There Will Be Blood.

Cog's right, it's shit like that that causes us to be unable to have nice things.

It's 8AM and I need a fucking beer now; goddamnit!

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I don't know anything about this case in particular, but my guess is that it's something along these lines:

This OH county office is required to provide whatever records it has to anyone who asks for them because the records are all public information. For whatever reason (likely underhanded), the people in charge don't want anyone to have bulk access to these records, and so they make a policy to no longer provide digital copies of records and to charge $texas for paper copies. The businesses who use those records are obviously unhappy with this turn of events, so they rightfully sue. They are pretty obviously in the right, these records are public and impeding access to them is wrong, it's a pretty indefensible case. The scummy defense lawyer knows this, so he finds some portion of the lawsuit not directly related to the objectionable parts of the case that he can invalidate to get the whole case thrown out. He finds it in the photocopying vocabulary, so he instructs his witness to avoid using the word photocopy/photocopier anywhere in court at all ever (you'll notice, he objected to the question as soon as the word photocopy came out anyones mouth). That poor guy is just someone who works in the office that is doing what his corrupt boss tells him, and is trying to keep his job.

I said this in the other thread, but this is exactly why I'm glad I don't practice law anymore. I fucking hated nearly 90% of all opposing counsel. Douchecanoes, all of them.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    is it dumb, networked, is it a multi-function device, is it being done by scanning and then printing later or whatever.

Those sure are a lot of things that are completely irrelevant.

"I have no idea what type of vehicle you'd be referring to when you say 'Automobile.' Is it a coupe, a sedan, a minivan? Is it 2WD or 4WD? Automatic transmission or manual?"

Gaslight on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Nothing like taking a (deserved) beating from a customer at 8:15 in the morning. What is the rest of the day to bring.

Yes, I know that I possess the ability to do your job for you. That doesn't mean that you should be excused of doing your job and make me do it. I'm sorry, did you just try to call that delegating? ...I hate you

It baffles me to this day that people seem to think marking their emails 'important' actually means anything.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    I knew there was some foul work at play! This day has been crazy, and by crazy I mean people continuously stopping me in the hallways for help, or having me do shit for them that has nothing or little to do with me, or flat out just not using their heads in any way, shape, or form. I just realized that the last page I read in my book before I closed it to run off the subway this morning was page 666. Case closed. All makes sense now.

edited May 2014
    I know some of you code, so you might appreciate this. Feel free to cite and crosspost to the coding thread, if it is of use to your ilk. I know enough to be amused by it.

gizmodo.com/programming-sucks-why-a-job-in-coding-is-absolute-hell-1570227192

Excerpt:
    All programming teams are constructed by and of crazy people

Imagine joining an engineering team. You're excited and full of ideas, probably just out of school and a world of clean, beautiful designs, awe-inspiring in their aesthetic unity of purpose, economy, and strength. You start by meeting Mary, project leader for a bridge in a major metropolitan area. Mary introduces you to Fred, after you get through the fifteen security checks installed by Dave because Dave had his sweater stolen off his desk once and Never Again. Fred only works with wood, so you ask why he's involved because this bridge is supposed to allow rush-hour traffic full of cars full of mortal humans to cross a 200-foot drop over rapids. Don't worry, says Mary, Fred's going to handle the walkways. What walkways? Well Fred made a good case for walkways and they're going to add to the bridge's appeal. Of course, they'll have to be built without railings, because there's a strict no railings rule enforced by Phil, who's not an engineer. Nobody's sure what Phil does, but it's definitely full of synergy and has to do with upper management, whom none of the engineers want to deal with so they just let Phil do what he wants. Sara, meanwhile, has found several hemorrhaging-edge paving techniques, and worked them all into the bridge design, so you'll have to build around each one as the bridge progresses, since each one means different underlying support and safety concerns. Tom and Harry have been working together for years, but have an ongoing feud over whether to use metric or imperial measurements, and it's become a case of "whoever got to that part of the design first." This has been such a headache for the people actually screwing things together, they've given up and just forced, hammered, or welded their way through the day with whatever parts were handy. Also, the bridge was designed as a suspension bridge, but nobody actually knew how to build a suspension bridge, so they got halfway through it and then just added extra support columns to keep the thing standing, but they left the suspension cables because they're still sort of holding up parts of the bridge. Nobody knows which parts, but everybody's pretty sure they're important parts. After the introductions are made, you are invited to come up with some new ideas, but you don't have any because you're a propulsion engineer and don't know anything about bridges.

Would you drive across this bridge? No. If it somehow got built, everybody involved would be executed. Yet some version of this dynamic wrote every single program you have ever used, banking software, websites, and a ubiquitously used program that was supposed to protect information on the internet but didn't.

I especially enjoyed this part:

Remember that stuff about crazy people and bad code? The internet is that except it's literally a billion times worse. Websites that are glorified shopping carts with maybe three dynamic pages are maintained by teams of people around the clock, because the truth is everything is breaking all the time, everywhere, for everyone. Right now someone who works for Facebook is getting tens of thousands of error messages and frantically trying to find the problem before the whole charade collapses. There's a team at a Google office that hasn't slept in three days. Somewhere there's a database programmer surrounded by empty Mountain Dew bottles whose husband thinks she's dead. And if these people stop, the world burns. Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants.

Cog on
    People here would surely appreciate:
    Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants.

edited May 2014
    zxlnzmp2boamclc8lwrw.png
    According to the author, that program is "two lines of code that parse two lines of embedded comments in the code to read the Mayan numbers representing the individual ASCII characters that make up the magazine title, rendered in 90-degree rotated ASCII art.
    WHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Also, the ending is perfect

Le_Goat on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I TOOK THE BLUE PILLLLLLL

• ueanuean Registered User regular
    Hey, quick question - any recommendations on a Thin Terminal that can withstand super high humidity? There's an office right next to an indoor pool, with a Sauna literally right outside of it, and I'm sick of repurposing old desktops only to watch their caps pop or otherwise gradually mildew.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
    Maybe spray it with wd40? I don't know if that would work but it might be worth a try.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    How much are you willing to pay? The fully ruggedized Panasonic Toughbooks are pretty humidity resistant. But you pay for it. Look for stuff that's MIL-STD 810g rated.

No chance to have the machine in another room and run KVM through the wall?

• ueanuean Registered User regular
    No chance to have the machine in another room and run KVM through the wall?
    Not really, but that's essentially a thin client anyway :)

We have deployed tough books before, love them but too expensive for this case. Pretty sold on the idea of a thin client and running a win7 VM to remote in to (this is for one user only) but just need to spec something out that will handle the humidity. No need for integrated display or anything.

Just discovered stealth.com which looks like it should have something... Cool site

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    Could always break the bank and get one of these, but frankly I'd try putting in something cheap like a Lenovo M73/M93p in there first.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    It would be kinda ghetto, but conceivably with a fanless thin-client you could get a large plastic bag, stuff it in there and zip tie the end where the cables come out to try and isolate it from the humidity. But yeah, I think if you got a zero/thin client that doesn't require fan cooling it would probably last a lot longer, and if it's mil-spec then even better.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Subject-@bowen will invent fiction it believes the interrogator desires. Data acquired will be invalid.
    Infracted @bowen (2 points for 30 days) for "Kicked from thread: Not welcome"

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You can buy water resistant computer enclosures, but I don't think they're really humidity resistant.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Don't you love it when you get all the stuff together for a quote and then find out that the project was cancelled and you were the last to know.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Beats finding out after the order was placed. Been there before.

edited May 2014
    I had to hang up on a vendor for two reasons:
    1. Refusal to understand that I was not interested returning to their service
    2. (and more importantly) Beyond terrible grammar that only after I hung up did I figure out that she sounded exactly like Jar Jar Binks. Seriously, she said "I don'ts understand why you no be wantin' our service"

Le_Goat on
  • FredZ89FredZ89 Huehuehueh Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I had to hang up on a vendor for two reasons:
    1. Refusal to understand that I was not interested returning to their service
    2. (and more importantly) Beyond terrible grammar that only after I hung up did I figure out that she sounded exactly like Jar Jar Binks. Seriously, she said "I don'ts understand why you no be wantin' our service"

Buts I reality don'ts understand why you no want it!

Currently Playing: MH4U
    My Steam profile
    3DS: 1435-3951-4785
This discussion has been closed.