As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [sysadmins] Thread: Quick, hide your user friendly policies, Bowen is coming back!

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Geth wrote: »
    Subject-@bowen will invent fiction it believes the interrogator desires. Data acquired will be invalid.
    Infracted @bowen (2 points for 30 days) for "Kicked from thread: Not welcome"

Just six more pages dude, and you're free. We're almost there!

Edit: Five!

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    He'll knife someone and make a poop joke on page 2 of the new thread and get re-banned.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I had to hang up on a vendor for two reasons:
    1. Refusal to understand that I was not interested returning to their service
    2. (and more importantly) Beyond terrible grammar that only after I hung up did I figure out that she sounded exactly like Jar Jar Binks. Seriously, she said "I don'ts understand why you no be wantin' our service"

A person from AT&T is the only person I've ever cursed at over the phone.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Geth wrote: »
    Subject-@bowen will invent fiction it believes the interrogator desires. Data acquired will be invalid.
    Infracted @bowen (2 points for 30 days) for "Kicked from thread: Not welcome"

Just six more pages dude, and you're free. We're almost there!

Edit: Five!

Well no, he's banned until the 18th now.

Who's thread did he shit in this time? :P

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Who's thread did he shit in this time? :P

He accidentally keeps trying to post here and getting more points.

I kinda feel bad for him.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    How does it slip your mind you're thread banned? I dunno, I've never been interacted.

So how about those systems, and the administration thereof? :P

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I released today's emergency IE patch and told staff it was punishment for the Bruins loss last night. That's all I feel like doing today, but I actually have a server migration to work on.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    How does it slip your mind you're thread banned? I dunno, I've never been interacted.

So how about those systems, and the administration thereof? :P

The goddamned post-box at the bottom of the thread that you use when you're trying to post even lists the banned users. If that red "Greetings, organics!" does not at all get your attention... well, banhammer I guess.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Exchange install Day 4:
    Dear Microsoft, "Remove Mailbox" to me does not mean "Remove user account from Active Directory"! Please fix that. In the meantime, I'm now attempting to remember what security groups these 40 users were in. It's a good thing there are well documented ways to restore deleted AD objects...

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Exchange and AD have a really weird relationship when it comes to how they co-exist and modify each other.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I think that's true with a lot of MS products. Especially SharePoint.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I feel like I should do an export of my AD now just in case.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh god. Exchange's remove user and disable user confusion. Every exchange admin has a story of at least one shit moment because of that and how the menus are laid out.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Yeah, in 2010 it warns you that it will remove the "Windows user object" instead of having a more useful description like "AD user object".

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    It makes me a little sad for some reason that my phone gets emails and calendar events from exchange before my desktop client does.

Yeah, in 2010 it warns you that it will remove the "Windows user object" instead of having a more useful description like "AD user object".

2013 doesn't warn you at all. Even in the documentation it's split. One line says it will remove the user and mailbox, while another line says it will remove the mailbox from the user. Just asinine and I'm surprised it's still an issue.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »

2013 doesn't warn you at all. Even in the documentation it's split. One line says it will remove the user and mailbox, while another line says it will remove the mailbox from the user. Just asinine and I'm surprised it's still an issue.

I know I really should be but I'm just not.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh god. Exchange's remove user and disable user confusion. Every exchange admin has a story of at least one shit moment because of that and how the menus are laid out.
    It makes me a little sad for some reason that my phone gets emails and calendar events from exchange before my desktop client does.

Well it depends on the backend and where the virtual servers for OMA are in the pipeline. Old job pre office 365, near simultaneous. Post 365 i couldn't tell you as i refused to hook my phone to it due to heavy encryption enforcement without consulting the techs. Ar the new job there is about a 10 second delay. Dunno bow many servers are in the farm, but I would suspect at least 10.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Worked on budget proposals for the next fiscal year. For the first time in over 10 years, Symantec did not have a line item. It made me smile.

• ueanuean Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Worked on budget proposals for the next fiscal year. For the first time in over 10 years, Symantec did not have a line item. It made me smile.

Speak of the devil:
    http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/05/antivurus-pioneer-symantec-declares-av-dead-and-doomed-to-failure/

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
    edited May 2014
    Martin2341 wrote: »
    Jesus. Christ. Fuck Java and fuck Oracle with Java. Apparently the java version that makes our payroll website (where I enter my pto) work and the java version that makes the Brocade management software work are mutually exclusive. If I install both, I can't make both apps work.

It sounds like you might be talking about the issue where Brocade WebTools complains about a Java security issue when you are trying to use the other java version. One solution is to upgrade the FOS version running on your switch however what can you do if you cannot upgrade your FOS version at the moment? If so, there is the Brocade (web) Switch Explorer (aka WebTools) Java 1.7 security issue workaround. This is not a permanent solution but rather a workaround or hack. This is not an official Brocade workaround either but if you are stuck in a jam, it might be worth trying out. Since it is not official, please exercise caution!

Really? I need to create a login for a blog to read an article?

Echo on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Ah, it's spam, basically. Poster has only 1 post to his name, and the 'free' account costs $5 a month.

Back on the topic of this thread:
    @Abracadaniel‌ Thanks for posting that picture of the Chemex brewer. I got mine in the mail and it's fantastic.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Awesome!

I just picked up a Kone filter for mine and I'm a little on the fence about it; it does give coffee a little more body like a press, but I think I prefer the clarity of a filtered coffee more.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Would you guys trust a refurbished tablet to hold up? NewEgg has a Lenovo IdeaPad for $350 off. It's an 11.6" so I'm not sure if I'm really that interested, it's mainly the price and specs of the thing, I just really want a decent tablet that won't cost me $300+.

Actually, I may think about picking up a Nexus 7, currently $30 off. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230663

Myiagros on
    iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    edited May 2014
    Just make sure you read the warranty and what it covers. I bought a refurbished monitor from NewEgg almost 7 years ago and still use it today with no problems

Le_Goat on
  • FredZ89FredZ89 Huehuehueh Registered User regular
    Yeah if the warranty looks OK, you should be good. I've bought a few things refurbished and I can't recall anything breaking shortly after, only after a decent amount of time, something to be expected even if you bought it brand new.

Currently Playing: MH4U
    My Steam profile
    3DS: 1435-3951-4785
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    FredZ89 wrote: »
    Yeah if the warranty looks OK, you should be good. I've bought a few things refurbished and I can't recall anything breaking shortly after, only after a decent amount of time, something to be expected even if you bought it brand new.

I've had bad experiences with refurbished toner. It's been a 75% good to 20% bad with them.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    Toner cartridges are different. The drum can only be used so many times before they crap out. A good seller of used toner cartridges will refund you for the remainder of what's left.

First question I was forced to field today, verbatim via email:

"Are we Microsoft?? Because I have one icon at the bottom that is and one that's just plain"

No context.

edited May 2014
    Must come up with a suitably cryptic response.

Considering simply "Absolutely"

Alternately: "Whatever you do, DON'T.

Cog on
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    That's usually when I bust out the big guns and troll them right back.

http://hyotynen.iki.fi/trekfailure/

• DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    FredZ89 wrote: »

I've had bad experiences with refurbished toner. It's been a 75% good to 20% bad with them.

Wait, refurbished toner? Did someone start to print something, change their minds, and then mashed the paper till it could be placed back into the toner bottle?

Sorry, I just think that's a funny way to refer to returned toner cartridges.

• AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Am I agreeing to buy toner from this salesman who cold-called me because he is including 3lb bags of M&M's with every shipment?

.....Perhaps.

What can I say, dude knows his target.

Aiserou on
    That's pretty persuasive.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Nrggggg

client asks why their workstations aren't updating AV

previous IT guy installed Kaspersky manually on each one, none are listed in the console and Kaseya shows they're running different Kaspersky products version 8-10

Enjoy your new project.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    User: I'm at this website and I can't see any of the images. This web filter you have is messing it all up. I have to go home and look at all these images for work as I can't see any of them. I'm doing this for a project for the president of the company and we both have to go home and look at it there.
    Me: <Explanation of how the web filter sometimes makes false positives on ads>
    User: So I have to talk to you whenever I want to make something go through? That's unacceptable.
    Me: <Explanation of how the web filter again> So can you email me the site so I can see what is going on?
    User: <Sends site>
    Me: I'm looking at the site (a landscape firm's products) not through the filter and through a couple of different browsers and I still can't see any images. I think the website's images are broken links. What other sites are you have problems with?
    User: Umm...I don't know off the top of my head but the web filter still needs to be fixed.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I am so glad we don't deal with a web-filter or a proxy in our office. :P

This discussion has been closed.