As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [sysadmins] Thread: Quick, hide your user friendly policies, Bowen is coming back!

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I am so glad we don't deal with a web-filter or a proxy in our office. :P
    I wish we didn't. This geo-filter that my boss initiated is beyond annoying. There are quite a lot of tech forums that are hosted outside of North America and noooooooooooooooooooooope... thanks, geo-blocking!

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I understand why they're needed; I just have the great fortune to work somewhere where we don't worry about those kinds of things. As long as you're getting your job done, and you're not looking at anything that's gonna get the fed'rul gub'mit interested in our Internet activity you're good to go.

On a halp me, [sysadmin] Thread note...

I noticed that the time on our workstations is getting more and more "off" (incorrect). My first (lazy) inclination was just to fix my machine, but I noticed I didn't have a tab for setting up syncing the clock with an NTP host (I think the tab in the "Date and Time" config is normally called "Internet Time"). Then I went, "oh, right, that's probably a domain thing. I'll go check the DC." However, the tab isn't there in the Date and Time config on the DC (Server 08 R2) either. Any idea why that would be or what I should take a look at?

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Ours is pretty much on/off, it doesn't try to get fancy with that partial blocking bullshit. And I have the keys to the castle so if I wanna get somewhere, I get there.

• FredZ89FredZ89 Huehuehueh Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    @iTunesIsEvil‌ would this help? Link

FredZ89 on
    Currently Playing: MH4U
    My Steam profile
    3DS: 1435-3951-4785
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Ours is pretty much on/off, it doesn't try to get fancy with that partial blocking bullshit. And I have the keys to the castle so if I wanna get somewhere, I get there.

I think its less keys to the castle and more keys to the mom van. Sure, you can drive wherever you want, but you have to tow a half dozen children to their activities every day.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    FredZ89 wrote: »

I'll give it a shot! Just confused why the darn GUI for it seems to have gone AWOL. :?

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    FredZ89 wrote: »

I'll give it a shot! Just confused why the darn GUI for it seems to have gone AWOL. :?

On DC's I'm pretty sure you have to set it by registry or through w32tm commands. These guys seem to run reliable NTP servers; I picked the one that gave me the best tracert.

Yeah, the pool.ntp.org servers are pretty great; I use them on the linux boxes I'm in charge of.

I used the info in Fred's link and set things up via w32tm and then tried getting it to resync, but it told me it couldn't resync because "no time data was available." Quick, cursory googling leads me to an MS KB article which seems to describe what I have going on and references one of those fun hotfixes where you email MS and they email back with a link (because that makes sense). So, I've applied that, and now my DC is waiting to be rebooted so double-wheeeeeeeeeeee.

Sigh. I hate doing sysadmin stuff sometimes.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Why not set the NTP in your DHCP settings so that you don't have to mess with anything after that as long as the NTP stays up?

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Anyone have experience using VMWare P2V (vCenter Converter)? I have a rather odd question - how low-level of a tech do you think could successfully migrate some systems into vCenter given explicit instructions on the process?

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    Anyone have experience using VMWare P2V (vCenter Converter)? I have a rather odd question - how low-level of a tech do you think could successfully migrate some systems into vCenter given explicit instructions on the process?

Chimpanzee-2.jpg

edited May 2014
    I almost had that "Sales Guy vs Web Guy: The Web Site is Down" moment. Just had a user ask me to reboot a server... in the middle of the day, said thanks and tried to hang up. I was all "Woah woah woah, hold on a second. Why do you need the server rebooted?" She said she couldn't get certain reports to be generated. "Okay, I'm definitely not rebooting an entire server for that. I can restart a service for you, but I'm not going to reboot the server. No." Then she asked what the difference was, lol.

I was totally stunned at first that this low-level sales-type person thinks she can say when to reboot a server. Let me say that again: "Noooooooooooooooooo."

Also, @Cog: you realize that image is how all my users think of me, right?

Le_Goat on
    You realize that's how I think of nearly everyone, right?

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I'm reading the documentation now and it seems like it could get complex depending on the requirements, however a normal migration should not be very hard. I'm looking at doing this for a potential client with a fair number of locations and need to know what sort of labor I'll need to bring in.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    Our sales team just sold some Windows 8.1 machines to a client. We have no instructions, documentation, testing, or anything for Win8 yet as every time I've sat down to look a it, I'm interrupted and barely get to play around with anything besides some user profile setup. The clients actually want Win 8.1 too, so I can't just down grade.

Anyone have anything good to say about setting up default proflies and settings for Win 8.1 compared to the old ways of doing things in Win7? Generally we've got it down to using our image, installing licensed software, getting default profile setup along with networking, and then ship off to the clients where we join to the domain and make sure users can login. With no image we'll have to start from scratch...

Vechloran.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Nearly?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    Well at least I pulled the easiest bit of software to patch for Heartbleed. Shame there are over 300 servers to update, several being weird devices and 20 Linux. So I can't just push the updates those them. Blarg.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Talking to ISP tech support is an exercise in frustration. It's for my home ADSL.

Is it ironic or just annoying that when you're doing support for users they ignore your requests but when you talk to your isp they ignore the information you've sent through on their request?

But when they're asking me to reset the modem to factor default settings to diagnose why the line sync speed is low despite trying a backup modem then I just find it offensive and told them as much.

They're finally running diagnostics and discovered a number of line errors... soooo

• ueanuean Registered User regular
    In the world.of IT, anyone you support is an idiot.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    uean wrote: »
    In the world.of IT, anyone you support is an idiot.

Sadly this is true, from the other end, they can't be sure you aren't an idiot trying to put a coffee mug into a DVD ROM.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Not quite the situation I am talking about.

1. Open case
    2. Told: Please send "X Y Z"
    3. I send X, Y and Z's results (i.e. pings, traceroutes, speed tests, reported sync speed)
    4. They ignore it and ask a bunch of questions that is included in X, Y and Z.
    5. Tell me I need to do X, Y and Z.
    6. Tell me it's either a throughput or sync issue - it's clearly a sync issue as the diagnostics I ran upon their request and sent them tells them.
    7. Repeat.

Funny that you are talking about something other than what I described...

IRONY

• ueanuean Registered User regular
    Not sure if that was intended for me, but I was just getting at what Bigity said.

But your description leads me to the second rule of IT - if you work in IT, and have problems with your home internet, there is no pain greater than tier 1 ISP tech support when you have already diagnosed the friggin problem before calling. Yes I have turned it off and on again. Do it again for 30 seconds? Ok. Still not working... do it again for 1 minute? Oh my GOD PUT ME THROUGH TO LEVEL 2

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
    Why won't SQL Express 2005 uninstall?

How did it even get on this server?

Why doesn't it have a GUID listed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall?

Why are the error messages so unhelpful?

Why doesn't anything the KB articles say exist actually exist?

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah, tier 1 ISP tech support can go suck a huge cock. Especially when I already know they're not going to fix the problem, and the tech probably wouldn't understand even if I told them. In an apartment I used to live in back when I lived in florida had internet that would cut out reliably in the middle of the night in the early spring and fall. Imagine trying to get a tech to fix a failing line amp.

LD50 wrote: »
    Yeah, tier 1 ISP tech support can go suck a huge cock. Especially when I already know they're not going to fix the problem, and the tech probably wouldn't understand even if I told them. In an apartment I used to live in back when I lived in florida had internet that would cut out reliably in the middle of the night in the early spring and fall. Imagine trying to get a tech to fix a failing line amp.
    AKA Read From Script Support. They totally ignore everything and go by what they are given. They basically exist to weed out the issues which get resolved by reading users the basic steps they should have done, but were too lazy to read themselves. It's pretty shitty for people who actually have everything ready to be pushed on to the next tier, but you know it is in place because people abused the ability to skip ahead.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I never did get them to fix the problem though. It only happened at night because temperatures, so it never affected enough people for them to agree that the problem was with the lines. They wouldn't even send somebody out to look.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    My best support story fail was from Comcast at my house a couple years back. Switched from Dish to Comcast because of the price and had a tech come in to install it. He did his thing and then we found out that the HD channels weren't coming in HD. Odd. He did some stuff and called in and finally said, "It'll take about an hour for it to show up in HD. So can you sign the form?" I told him no as I wanted all my channels now and not to hope that some fix would come through and when it didn't I would have to call again. So, he just left as he said he didn't need me to sign anything.

One hour passes and no HD.

I call Comcast and they say to reset the DVR and wait for 6 hours. I do so and then go to bed.

Morning comes and no HD. I call them again and they say to reset the DVR and wait for 6 hours. I do that and go to work.

At night still no HD. I call them again and they once again say to reset the DVR and wait for 6 hours. I tell them no and want a tech to come. They agree and the tech will be there tomorrow.

The next day my wife calls me to say that the tech isn't going to come and he said to call Comcast. I call them up and find out that my area doesn't have access to HD channels but when the support techs put in the zip code it would go to the closest city (which had a different zip code) which had HD channels.

I switched back to Dish.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Nearly?

Most of you guys don't make me nauseous.

Can I take a BAK file from SQL 2000 and restore it in 2008 or do I need to upgrade the existing 2000 to 2008 before migrating to a new SQL 2008 server?

Apothe0sis wrote: »

Why doesn't it have a GUID listed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall?

This may sounds stupid, but were any of the $KBxxxxxxx folders moved/deleted from the OS partition? We had servers in the past that ran out of room on the OS partition, so some of those folders were moved to a different drive, which caused something similar to what you're talking about, minus the GUID missing.

edited May 2014
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Can I take a BAK file from SQL 2000 and restore it in 2008 or do I need to upgrade the existing 2000 to 2008 before migrating to a new SQL 2008 server?

Straight restore will work for like 98% of databases, no need for any sort of update unless a vendor has some special stupid instructions. And even then most of those kind of instructions are generally CYA bullshit on the vendor's part. The database will come online just fine, though no guaranteeing that any applications pointing at it won't asplode. You'll want to initially bring it online leaving it in compatibility level (80), and keep a backup of it at that level before/if you decide to bump it up to (100) for 2008 compatibility.

Cog on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Send out email on Friday, "Hey we now have the ability to update apps via Ninite for our clients - scheduled automatic updating of Flash, Reader, and Java is going into effect for clients with names starting with 'A' starting Monday. Let me know of any concerns or questions."

Of course the only guy with a client whose workstations need to stay on Reader v9 for reasons of some obscure plugin doesn't read the email.

At least he was accepting of the fact that his day involves reinstalling Reader for 50+ workstations.

Apothe0sis wrote: »

Its theoretically possible some idiot vendor repackaged SQL Express in with their software and did it in a really fucking awful way that makes it essentially a component of their software instead of a sort of bootstrapped install that tags along under their software. I used to do software packaging with Install Shield and while you'd have to go a little out of your way to manage this, you could certainly pull it off. If you were a room-temperature IQ'd mouth breather.

Superficial complaint time: Does it bug the fuck out of anyone else that they renamed "Add/Remove Programs"? Its like the most common thing you open the fucking control panel for, and alphabetically, Add/Remove was always nicely right at the top of the window. "Programs and Features" is buried down in the middle somewhere and moves around randomly depending on how big my window is/how many icons wide it holds, and I feel stupid every time it takes me more than 3 seconds of searching to find it.

GIVE ME MY GOD DAMNED ADD/REMOVE BACK.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    My best support story fail was from Comcast at my house a couple years back. Switched from Dish to Comcast because of the price and had a tech come in to install it. He did his thing and then we found out that the HD channels weren't coming in HD. Odd. He did some stuff and called in and finally said, "It'll take about an hour for it to show up in HD. So can you sign the form?" I told him no as I wanted all my channels now and not to hope that some fix would come through and when it didn't I would have to call again. So, he just left as he said he didn't need me to sign anything.

One hour passes and no HD.

I call Comcast and they say to reset the DVR and wait for 6 hours. I do so and then go to bed.

Morning comes and no HD. I call them again and they say to reset the DVR and wait for 6 hours. I do that and go to work.

At night still no HD. I call them again and they once again say to reset the DVR and wait for 6 hours. I tell them no and want a tech to come. They agree and the tech will be there tomorrow.

The next day my wife calls me to say that the tech isn't going to come and he said to call Comcast. I call them up and find out that my area doesn't have access to HD channels but when the support techs put in the zip code it would go to the closest city (which had a different zip code) which had HD channels.

I switched back to Dish.

Yeah that sounds about like the experiences my friends and I have had with Cox's customer support.

In college our mod got our own internet service so we wouldn't have to use the school's slow internet. One day it just flat out stopped working, as well as the service for a couple other dorms that had done similiar. A tech came out, and look at all of them, couldn't find anything wrong. We heard nothing until a few days later we found out that someone on campus had been splicing cable and somehow created a feedback loop that was knocking out nodes all over town, so they just shut off all outgoing traffic from the campus without telling anyone.

A few months ago my friend lost his internet and after a day or so of calling them they finally determined the problem was that they'd finally run an underground line to his house, so they disconnected the overhead one.

And then never activated the new one.

steam_sig.png
    Superficial complaint time: Does it bug the fuck out of anyone else that they renamed "Add/Remove Programs"? Its like the most common thing you open the fucking control panel for, and alphabetically, Add/Remove was always nicely right at the top of the window. "Programs and Features" is buried down in the middle somewhere and moves around randomly depending on how big my window is/how many icons wide it holds, and I feel stupid every time it takes me more than 3 seconds of searching to find it.

It only bugs me because the new name makes things about 10x less intuitive. If you wanted to remove a program previously, "Add/Remove Programs" makes total sense to open. "Programs and Features" isn't a very meaningful name to most users.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Entire content of an actual self service ticket that came in from a user:
    "I put in the cd drive backwards"

steam_sig.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

It only bugs me because the new name makes things about 10x less intuitive. If you wanted to remove a program previously, "Add/Remove Programs" makes total sense to open. "Programs and Features" isn't a very meaningful name to most users.

I bet I know how this went down.

UI: Hmm, "Add/Remove Programs" isn't accurate. You can also change windows features here. Let's rename it. "Add/Remove Programs and Features"

some time later

UX: Hmm, "Add/Remove Programs and Features" is really long and clunky. Let's trim that down a bit. "Programs and Features", perfect!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Entire content of an actual self service ticket that came in from a user:
    "I put in the cd drive backwards"

Severity: "halp"

Steps to reproduce: "is still backwards"

TL DR on
    High priority?

This discussion has been closed.