As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [sysadmins] Thread: Quick, hide your user friendly policies, Bowen is coming back!

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    The highest priority.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Someone should put together a web-based IT ticket system for submitting IT requests. There should be a dropdown list for priority, but it should only have 'high priority' as an option.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Passed my Network+ this morning. My initial impression when taking it was somewhere along the lines of "jesus christ there's no fucking way I'm ever going to pass this. I've wasted my money and time and possibly my life with this bullshit wtf I'll go become a janitor but I'll probably fuck that up too. MRLRLGLRLERLLLLL!!!"

And then 45 minutes later I passed with a healthy margin, and it was no big deal, and serenity descended and, I was like "alright, alright, alright."

It was a jarring transition.

• NijaNija Registered User regular
    What did you use (materials-wise) to study?

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Nija wrote: »
    What did you use (materials-wise) to study?

Initially I bought the Mike Meyers' all-in-one book but ended up supplementing it with a combo practice test/exam voucher from Transcender. They had some really nice tests (only about 4-500 questions worth of material, but great to cycle through with solid explanations on answers.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Just out of curiosity, how mUch has Network+ changed since 2001?

I know A+ no longer is DOS- based.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Not quite the situation I am talking about.

1. Open case
    2. Told: Please send "X Y Z"
    3. I send X, Y and Z's results (i.e. pings, traceroutes, speed tests, reported sync speed)
    4. They ignore it and ask a bunch of questions that is included in X, Y and Z.
    5. Tell me I need to do X, Y and Z.
    6. Tell me it's either a throughput or sync issue - it's clearly a sync issue as the diagnostics I ran upon their request and sent them tells them.
    7. Repeat.

Funny that you are talking about something other than what I described...

IRONY

For those of you following at home - after my fourth technical support representative asked me to "run a netstat -a" to help diagnose my low downstream and upstream sync I started yelling about the OSI layers and I got transferred to the supervisor and they agreed it was a fault and would send a technician out to take a look today.

Apothe0sis on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Why won't SQL Express 2005 uninstall?

How did it even get on this server?

Why doesn't it have a GUID listed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall?

Why are the error messages so unhelpful?

Why doesn't anything the KB articles say exist actually exist?
    This may sounds stupid, but were any of the $KBxxxxxxx folders moved/deleted from the OS partition? We had servers in the past that ran out of room on the OS partition, so some of those folders were moved to a different drive, which caused something similar to what you're talking about, minus the GUID missing.

I don't believe so - there's no $KB??? folders and no one would have done that...probably.

If they did then they're also long gone. So that would make me nicely fucked.

Cog wrote: »
    Why won't SQL Express 2005 uninstall?

How did it even get on this server?

Why doesn't it have a GUID listed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall?

Why are the error messages so unhelpful?

Why doesn't anything the KB articles say exist actually exist?

Its theoretically possible some idiot vendor repackaged SQL Express in with their software and did it in a really fucking awful way that makes it essentially a component of their software instead of a sort of bootstrapped install that tags along under their software. I used to do software packaging with Install Shield and while you'd have to go a little out of your way to manage this, you could certainly pull it off. If you were a room-temperature IQ'd mouth breather.
    A distinct possibility.

But searches show that others are having trouble removing SQL 2005 (Express sometimes) which leads me to believe that this is business as usual of sorts. But leaves the question of where it came from for us to ponder.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Superficial complaint time: Does it bug the fuck out of anyone else that they renamed "Add/Remove Programs"? Its like the most common thing you open the fucking control panel for, and alphabetically, Add/Remove was always nicely right at the top of the window. "Programs and Features" is buried down in the middle somewhere and moves around randomly depending on how big my window is/how many icons wide it holds, and I feel stupid every time it takes me more than 3 seconds of searching to find it.

GIVE ME MY GOD DAMNED ADD/REMOVE BACK.

Winkey + X, F.

For Features.

Keyboard shortcuts are the light. For so long I had been clicking through menus and shit.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

First time in my business life that I've been called rude.

Seems I ruffled some feathers for a software development firm that's working for us when I called them out on how long they are taking on developing something for us. So, "someone" over there talked to their CEO and then the CEO talked to a project manager about me and my rudeness.

It just amuses me as I'm pretty laid back and have never had anyone tell me that before ever.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

Seems I ruffled some feathers for a software development firm that's working for us when I called them out on how long they are taking on developing something for us. So, "someone" over there talked to their CEO and then the CEO talked to a project manager about me and my rudeness.

It just amuses me as I'm pretty laid back and have never had anyone tell me that before ever.

I've gotten that once or twice. My response has generally been: "I'm trying to get stuff done, and I can't because I'm waiting on you. If you would like to avoid this in the future, we should make sure the estimates are closer to the actual time it will take to get it done".

We're not being paid to play nice-nice and skip along a field of flowers. We're paid to do work. You should be courteous, but as soon as people start fucking up your life by not doing their jobs, they lose the benefit of the doubt on things unless they've been actively communicating delays and unforeseen obstacles. If a dev does that, I cut them all the slack they need to get the job done.

Superficial complaint time: Does it bug the fuck out of anyone else that they renamed "Add/Remove Programs"? Its like the most common thing you open the fucking control panel for, and alphabetically, Add/Remove was always nicely right at the top of the window. "Programs and Features" is buried down in the middle somewhere and moves around randomly depending on how big my window is/how many icons wide it holds, and I feel stupid every time it takes me more than 3 seconds of searching to find it.

Winkey + X, F.

For Features.

Keyboard shortcuts are the light. For so long I had been clicking through menus and shit.

This.... doesn't do anything for me?

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Winkey + X, F.

For Features.

Well, you'd need to be on 8/8.1

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    schuss wrote: »

I've gotten that once or twice. My response has generally been: "I'm trying to get stuff done, and I can't because I'm waiting on you. If you would like to avoid this in the future, we should make sure the estimates are closer to the actual time it will take to get it done".

We're not being paid to play nice-nice and skip along a field of flowers. We're paid to do work. You should be courteous, but as soon as people start fucking up your life by not doing their jobs, they lose the benefit of the doubt on things unless they've been actively communicating delays and unforeseen obstacles. If a dev does that, I cut them all the slack they need to get the job done.
    Yes, yes, and also yes. I pin this on the common social trend where everyone thinks that they need to be handled with love and care, despite constantly fucking up. All I ask is to be informed of why things aren't getting done. I may get a little testy if I keep getting excuse after excuse, but I at least appreciate not only being informed but also the fact that you are holding yourself accountable for the delays/errors. Hell, I do that so I expect everyone else to as well. It sucks saying "This is my fault, I'm sorry" but get over it.

Aioua wrote: »

Winkey + X, F.

For Features.

But I don't wanna be. :(

Winkey + X, F.

For Features.

Your loss :P

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze

Yes, yes, and also yes. I pin this on the common social trend where everyone thinks that they need to be handled with love and care, despite constantly fucking up. All I ask is to be informed of why things aren't getting done. I may get a little testy if I keep getting excuse after excuse, but I at least appreciate not only being informed but also the fact that you are holding yourself accountable for the delays/errors. Hell, I do that so I expect everyone else to as well. It sucks saying "This is my fault, I'm sorry" but get over it.

Exactly. I'm fine with a few delays around uncontrollable things (Test/Dev environment down, tornadoes, change freeze period, SBU-wide reorg), but if the reason is "this is more complex than I thought", that's on you buddy, as you're supposed to look at this stuff after it's assigned to you, not 3 days before you need to get me testing data.

Winkey + X, F.

For Features.

Meh. Get off my lawn.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular

GRAAAAH! Poet SMASH! The department head I reply to refuses to call our agencies out on their bullshit, as she doesn't want to "hurt the relationships she has cultivated". This led to our main agency stretching out out web site revamp an extra six months, deploying it unfinished, taking a shit on our desk, going on vacation, and eventually firing us.
    I suggest that their database designer has never actually designed a database before, and I'm told I need to be more polite, and we should be grateful that the agency is willing to do work for us.
    THIS IS NOT HOW THE CLIENT/AGENCY RELATIONSHIP WORKS.

• RBachRBach Registered User regular

Winkey + X, F.

For Features.

Meh. Get off my lawn.

Fine. Press the Windows key. Type programs. Press Enter. ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2014
    A buddy of mine sent this to me. It was titled "My program wouldn't work... I was desperate... so..."
    ajrjOG8_460s.jpg

Le_Goat on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    A buddy of mine sent this to me. It was titled "My program wouldn't work... I was desperate... so..."
    ajrjOG8_460s.jpg

This is tame to the pagan rituals I need to invoke to make SPNs and Kerberos work sometimes.

Seriously, not even a single sacrificed intern?

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Send out email on Friday, "Hey we now have the ability to update apps via Ninite for our clients - scheduled automatic updating of Flash, Reader, and Java is going into effect for clients with names starting with 'A' starting Monday. Let me know of any concerns or questions."

Of course the only guy with a client whose workstations need to stay on Reader v9 for reasons of some obscure plugin doesn't read the email.

At least he was accepting of the fact that his day involves reinstalling Reader for 50+ workstations.

I adore Ninite.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I'd love it a lot more if I could tell it via command line where to install things.

Virtual Environment, why so many massive snapshots?

I will need to talk to people...

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Send out email on Friday, "Hey we now have the ability to update apps via Ninite for our clients - scheduled automatic updating of Flash, Reader, and Java is going into effect for clients with names starting with 'A' starting Monday. Let me know of any concerns or questions."

Of course the only guy with a client whose workstations need to stay on Reader v9 for reasons of some obscure plugin doesn't read the email.

At least he was accepting of the fact that his day involves reinstalling Reader for 50+ workstations.

I adore Ninite.

Me, too. Now I just need to find a way to confirm with a few hundred clients whether I can enable it or not.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Installed some updates on an old junk ass server I need for something.

Rebooting now. There's like a 50% change it's gonna tank.

Please don't tank. I need you.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    More like 99 percent chance it will tank tonight after you think you are in the clear.

In only-kinda-sorta-IT-related news: George R.R. Martin writes the Song of Ice and Fire books on a DOS machine with WordStar 4.0
    When it comes to writing, Martin hates spellchecks and autocorrects.

“I don’t want a capital. If I’d wanted a capital, I would have typed a capital,” said Martin on Conan. “I know how to work the shift key.”

WordStar, bitches. The future of your Fantasy Lit/HBO Series relies on it:

Wordstar_Screenshot.png

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    More like 99 percent chance it will tank tonight after you think you are in the clear.
    Nope! Didn't tank!

Didn't solve my problem either.

Welp, I'm done fucking with this today.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    In only-kinda-sorta-IT-related news: George R.R. Martin writes the Song of Ice and Fire books on a DOS machine with WordStar 4.0

“I don’t want a capital. If I’d wanted a capital, I would have typed a capital,” said Martin on Conan. “I know how to work the shift key.”

Wordstar_Screenshot.png

This makes me feel angry for some reason...

Wordstar_Screenshot.png

Still better than the nouveau-grognards who insist on only using vi or emacs.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I mean, it's basically the same except there's no chance his DOS box gets hooked up to the internet.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular

Wordstar_Screenshot.png

I dunno, this kinda earns him a bye for me. It's like how I despised Stephenson's Quicksilver for making me read so many extraneous words and then I found out he wrote the manuscript with a fountain pen and I was like ... "oh".

I mean, it's basically the same except there's no chance his DOS box gets hooked up to the internet.

Shit's basically never going to get leaked or wiped out from a virus.

I just hope he's backing it up to 5 & 1/4" floppies on the reg.

So, we just found out that Microsoft's emergency IE patches from ~ 2 weeks ago broke more than we thought. Initially we knew it fucked up some of our workstations on certain OS/IE version combinations. Now we found out it also fucked up something as simple as just our file server. Not a server running a bunch of proprietary applications or anything. Just a file server. Microsoft, your IE patch broke a server that's job is to basically turn on and load windows.

Thanks, Obama.

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Spent most of the day today hacking. Was pretty cool.

We got hit by a Coldfusion remote code execution exploit last week, we were lucky enough that they didn't go after any data, and were just using one of our web servers for bitcoin mining. After the cleanup I was asked to try and do it myself in order to make sure that we'd properly secured everything.

If you can't afford to pay for proper security consultants, just get the junior admins to do it for you I guess... But hey, I had fun.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    So what was the problem? Failure to get the CHF from Adobe? or worse... Java?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
This discussion has been closed.