As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [sysadmins] Thread: Quick, hide your user friendly policies, Bowen is coming back!

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Not quite the situation I am talking about.

1. Open case
    2. Told: Please send "X Y Z"
    3. I send X, Y and Z's results (i.e. pings, traceroutes, speed tests, reported sync speed)
    4. They ignore it and ask a bunch of questions that is included in X, Y and Z.
    5. Tell me I need to do X, Y and Z.
    6. Tell me it's either a throughput or sync issue - it's clearly a sync issue as the diagnostics I ran upon their request and sent them tells them.
    7. Repeat.

Funny that you are talking about something other than what I described...

IRONY

For those of you following at home - after my fourth technical support representative asked me to "run a netstat -a" to help diagnose my low downstream and upstream sync I started yelling about the OSI layers and I got transferred to the supervisor and they agreed it was a fault and would send a technician out to take a look today.

Celebrations were premature.

They have set the profile to 3M down/384k up but seem utterly unaware of the fact. They claim the modem is not online while I'm performing a speedtest at the maximum speed supported by the current profile.

I am pretty sure they're looking at the wrong line or port.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »
    In only-kinda-sorta-IT-related news: George R.R. Martin writes the Song of Ice and Fire books on a DOS machine with WordStar 4.0
    When it comes to writing, Martin hates spellchecks and autocorrects.

“I don’t want a capital. If I’d wanted a capital, I would have typed a capital,” said Martin on Conan. “I know how to work the shift key.”

WordStar, bitches. The future of your Fantasy Lit/HBO Series relies on it:

Wordstar_Screenshot.png

This makes me feel angry for some reason...

I dunno, this kinda earns him a bye for me. It's like how I despised Stephenson's Quicksilver for making me read so many extraneous words and then I found out he wrote the manuscript with a fountain pen and I was like ... "oh".

A nice fountain pen is a dream to write with.

• jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    I love NetApp so much. Seriously, the best thing one can do is choose NetApp for storage. Decent price, incredible performance, easy expansion, tons of utility, and they support the shit out of you. Any time we make a major change they park one of their engineers in our data center all night. Not even Microsoft does that and we spend millions on them a year.

Side note I have to get certified on IBM blades because we're incorporating them. I just got VMware Certified Pro 5 and Storage+, really bummed about having to study again. I was also wanting to get the Cloud+ and/or Health IT Tech cert so this is really slowing me down.

edited May 2014
    Oh, and we crossed 2k VMs :D

n0ySB4L.png

jeffinva on
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    Pffft. Showoff.

By my count that is exactly 2,011 more than I have.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    Also how did you find storage+? After taking a+ and network+ I'm leery of anything else CompTIA as those were quite basic. What's your view on the value of certs overall? I'm starting to see them as more valuable for creating a goal to learn things than having actual real world value (I'll hire you because you have x)

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
    Storage+ was the easiest CompTIA cert I've taken.

Certs make a person more valuable post college in my mind. It shows that they care, and study on their own time. The last two people I hired I paid 60k and 80k (Southern Virginia, equivalent to 110k - 130k up North), one had certs and one didn't.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    In only-kinda-sorta-IT-related news: George R.R. Martin writes the Song of Ice and Fire books on a DOS machine with WordStar 4.0
    When it comes to writing, Martin hates spellchecks and autocorrects.

“I don’t want a capital. If I’d wanted a capital, I would have typed a capital,” said Martin on Conan. “I know how to work the shift key.”

WordStar, bitches. The future of your Fantasy Lit/HBO Series relies on it:

Wordstar_Screenshot.png

This makes me feel angry for some reason...

I dunno, this kinda earns him a bye for me. It's like how I despised Stephenson's Quicksilver for making me read so many extraneous words and then I found out he wrote the manuscript with a fountain pen and I was like ... "oh".

No, you can still despise him for it. You could cut basically half the pages out of anything in the system of the world series and the books would be better off for it.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    jeffinva wrote: »
    I love NetApp so much. Seriously, the best thing one can do is choose NetApp for storage.

Compellent for life.

Got nothing against NetApp.

EMC can eat a dick.

Cog on
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    NetApp is solid. I'm also liking Nimble, they have some really good caching system in their controllers.

Another week, another fuck java.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    So part of our backend automation has been broken for about two weeks now. The devices get listed as being in a bad state, even though they're perfectly fine. Our tools are kind of dumb so we have to go in and edit each one, manually, putting it back to a good state. We're talking thousands of devices. We're all getting carpal tunnel over here. Then they just break again two hours later.
    After two weeks of this with no fix from backend (or even a bandaid like a tool to reset the devices), our boss says "fuck it" and has us stop resetting them, let it pile up, get some attention from up high.

The word from management?
    "SLA for resetting devices is now two hours. Get cracking!"

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Aioua wrote: »
    So part of our backend automation has been broken for about two weeks now. The devices get listed as being in a bad state, even though they're perfectly fine. Our tools are kind of dumb so we have to go in and edit each one, manually, putting it back to a good state. We're talking thousands of devices. We're all getting carpal tunnel over here. Then they just break again two hours later.
    After two weeks of this with no fix from backend (or even a bandaid like a tool to reset the devices), our boss says "fuck it" and has us stop resetting them, let it pile up, get some attention from up high.

The word from management?
    "SLA for resetting devices is now two hours. Get cracking!"

Angry-mob-o.gif

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    So what was the problem? Failure to get the CHF from Adobe? or worse... Java?

Got hit by this

http://www.blackhatlibrary.net/Coldfusion_hacking

All fixed now. SO many things wrong with ths setup in the first place to actually let this happen in the first place.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    edited May 2014
    So, I've got two plans of action to try to fix my fucked up file server this weekend. First I'm rolling back the IE patch that seems to have wrecked it. If that doesn't work, I'm going to copy over the closest version of the iertutil.dll that I've been able to locate (its nearly the same just 17 build numbers off) from another server and try to register it. If that doesn't work.... I might be replacing the file server?

And until it's fixed, no backups are running. At all. For our entire office. Cause it's not able to initialize the tape drive. And we're in the middle of DR audits. So, you know.

Good times!

Cog on
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I just bid adieu to the last Windows 98 box I'll probably ever see again. Had to remove the HDD as a precaution for work. As one would expect, it was an IDE. As one would also expect, I was happy that it was the last IDE I'll have to work with again.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    How the sweet galloping shit did you still have a 98 box around?

edited May 2014
    Our door security software from over 10 years ago only ran on 98. It sucked, but now it's gone.

Also, found our old dot matrix printer and this old ass piece of hardware. Behold, the fabled IDE converter:
    x4953nipwvh3.jpg

I remember when I had to go buy the damn thing.

Le_Goat on
    TBH almost everywhere I've ever fucking been, there's always some godforsaken NT4.0 box that runs some business critical piece of shit software from 1997, nobody currently at the company was there when it was built, there's at least 1 admin type password involved with it that nobody knows anymore, and every time it needs to be rebooted, a minimum of 3 goats are sacrificed in an unspeakable midnight ritual to a dark and repugnant god.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    TBH almost everywhere I've ever fucking been, there's always some godforsaken NT4.0 box that runs some business critical piece of shit software from 1997, nobody currently at the company was there when it was built, there's at least 1 admin type password involved with it that nobody knows anymore, and every time it needs to be rebooted, a minimum of 3 goats are sacrificed in an unspeakable midnight ritual to a dark and repugnant god.

Once had old online time management software that was run off co-located servers but then moved in-house because it was being deprecated except the server never liked being inside the firewall after the move and refused to allow the only working client install to log in best out of three, requiring a reboot each time.
    Which took twenty minutes because the software had to be started manually and god help you if the components came up in the wrong order.
    None of this was helped by the program being written in Belgian C by a guy who left the company five years earlier and took the documentation with him. And oh yeah, missing passwords too….

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Once had old online time management software that was run off co-located servers but then moved in-house because it was being deprecated except the server never liked being inside the firewall after the move and refused to allow the only working client install to log in best out of three, requiring a reboot each time.
    Which took twenty minutes because the software had to be started manually and god help you if the components came up in the wrong order.
    None of this was helped by the program being written in Belgian C by a guy who left the company five years earlier and took the documentation with him. And oh yeah, missing passwords too….

I have a Windows 98 box running some DOS eprom burning software. Should the machine die, which it someday will, I at least still have the install files.

On about two dozen floppy disks.

chamberlain on

The copy command is a thing.

I have a Windows 98 box running some DOS eprom burning software. Should the machine die, which it someday will, I at least still have the install files.

Kings Quest V...

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular

The copy command is a thing.

So is lighter fluid and a well place match.

The thing isn't generating enough income to warrant its existence.

Lighter fluid and matches can also burn eprom...

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    jeffinva wrote: »
    I love NetApp so much. Seriously, the best thing one can do is choose NetApp for storage. Decent price, incredible performance, easy expansion, tons of utility, and they support the shit out of you. Any time we make a major change they park one of their engineers in our data center all night. Not even Microsoft does that and we spend millions on them a year.

I applied there after I graduated. Didn't get past the phone interview though. I have a couple friends from college that do or have worked there though and they like it. If we end up staying in Wichita now that my wife is done with grad school, I'll probably give it another shot since I've got more experience under my belt.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2014
    Just rolling back the stupid emergency IE security patch fixed my server. Relieving.

Thanks, Microsoft! Quality work you did there! Dicks.

Still can't get my tape drive online, so no backups, but at least I'm not concerned the server is going to shit it's pants literally any minute.

Cog on
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Why are your file servers dependent on IE?

For the first time I deployed Exchange rollup updates to the entire environment and not a single thing went wrong. I even used Prism Patch Manager to do so, so I just sat back and watched the servers patch and reboot, then used SCOM to make sure everything was healthy. I couldn't believe it to be truthful, I manually went through the health of many mailbox, CAS, and HTS's just to be sure. I felt like I was managing Linux servers again.

I find it odd how when I mark a message with high importance, it gets ignored despite being highly important (go figure), but when I mark a message with low priority, it's always read because they aren't used to seeing the blue arrow.

edited May 2014
    Draygo wrote: »
    Why are your file servers dependent on IE?

Backup exec uses IE assets to display the reports it generates, which are in XML format. Doing anything but opening the program generated 7 errors before it failed to work anyway, every single time you clicked anything. Windows event viewer uses those same assets to show some of its content as well. Viewing the details tab prompted me to save a .tmp or .xml file instead of just... you know... showing me the fucking details. Also it's kind of a pain in the ass when your file server doesn't want to play nice with SharePoint anymore. Trying to simply open IE forced me to input my credentials twice before telling me the default home page (our sharepoint site) wasn't a trusted site (it was before the patch) and IE closed itself. IE is just massively fucking ingrained in the OS, and when it breaks, the OS hates life. I couldn't even open the Internet Options applet from the control panel.

Add to all of that the fact that I have other shit on the server not working right and I didn't know if it's being caused by IE problems or not, and fixing the IE problem was priority #1. It's not just IE itself that's the problem, you don't realize how many things use the IE assets in some small way. For example, I learned that Trend AV utilizes the IErtUtil.dll file from IE somehow. So this fucked up our AV too.

Cog on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Today's job has become: "Trace the wires from the intercom speakers until you find where they all meet up and attach to something."

Because it's not in the telecom room or the datacenter, and no one apparently knows where it is and the person responsible didn't trace it out months ago when it originally came up. Now it's urgent.

Ugh.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Just had the most annoying of our users send an email saying "I've been trying to print the attached documents and its [sic] plagued with errors?" First off, you're a loan officer making almost 3 times what I do and you can't figure out if you are asking a questions or making a statement. I'll let the confusions of "its" and "it's" go, because you were obviously in a hurry with this emergency letter.

Anywho, turns out 2 pages of the PDF contain corrupted images that aren't letting the files print, unless you do a Print as image command. I do that, give her the document and tell her the pages are corrupted. She asks me if she needs to tell the company who sent the file to uncorrupt the images. I paused (dramatically of course) not because I thought she was an idiot (which she actually is, but aside from that...), but because I began to imagine myself say "Yes, that is what you need to do. Call the company up and tell them that we need them to uncorrupt those images ASAP." Then the sender on their end will talk to their IT department and tell them that our IT department said we need an emergency uncorruption ticket filed immediately. After a puzzled look, he/she quickly understands that I'm 100% fucking with my staff, and so he/she should 200% fuck with his/her staff right back. He/she gets on the phone (no one on the other end, mind you) and yells "Code fuschia! Initiate uncorropution sequence on my mark. Mam, you may need to leave the room while this goes on."

This happened all in a few seconds, after which I told her not to do anything I just mentioned and just say that the file is corrupt.

People not knowing how to use tools integral to their job bothers me way too much.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    People not knowing how to use tools integral to their job bothers me way too much.

No no.

It doesn't bother those peoples' bosses enough.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    edited May 2014
    By the way, I hope you enjoyed your vacation, bowen. Two pages!

Odds he's exiled within first 5 pages of new thread?

Cog on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Even better is when people have a problem for AGES or WEEKS and yet don't bring the problem to your attention until 5 minutes before they are going to die without it.

For example, just this morning someone brought a laptop to me that has had issues for 'weeks'. When I ask what problems, I get a sigh and a 'where do I start HAHAHAHA' response. I say, 'how about at the first problem?'. They can't tell me specifics. Finally I figure out it appears to be a decryption problem and pop in a SEE recovery disc, while telling her that it will be decrypting until tomorrow morning and I will be on the road tomorrow, so she MIGHT have it back Wednesday. At that point Godzilla magically appears and proceeds to scream and breath atomic fire around my office.

Yeah, I've never understood the notion of not telling us that there is something wrong. If you don't tell me that something is messed up, I'm going to assume that everything is pristine and fucking shiny... and rightfully so

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Apparently in many places, IT work is related to telepathy. I'm supposed to know something is bad before it happens.

Lady, if I had that power, would I be working in IT? I don't think so.

There is one "technical" manager (I use the term very lightly in her regard) who always asks questions, rudely, like "well why did xxx happen?!?" immediately after it occurs, in a way suggesting that absolutely nothing should ever go wrong with a server. So the last time one of her servers shit the bed because of her vendor's awful services and apps, I sent her the enter post mortem and debug analysis without any helpful context, but the summary showing that every last downtime she has ever suffered is because of that vendor, and mentioned in the suggestions that the manager in charge of the project (haha) should have caught this a year ago. I CC'd her and my director.

That was a month ago. I have not heard a single peep out of her since.

This discussion has been closed.