As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [sysadmins] Thread: Quick, hide your user friendly policies, Bowen is coming back!

• Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    jeffinva wrote: »
    I love NetApp so much. Seriously, the best thing one can do is choose NetApp for storage. Decent price, incredible performance, easy expansion, tons of utility, and they support the shit out of you. Any time we make a major change they park one of their engineers in our data center all night. Not even Microsoft does that and we spend millions on them a year.

I applied there after I graduated. Didn't get past the phone interview though. I have a couple friends from college that do or have worked there though and they like it. If we end up staying in Wichita now that my wife is done with grad school, I'll probably give it another shot since I've got more experience under my belt.

Good luck, I've never met a person working for them who didn't love it. If you really enjoy storage there's also Datacore in Fort Lauderdale - great location, right next to the Citrix down there. The people I've met working for them loved the company, and they have a super laid back attitude.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Large email thread going on about a ticket, somebody chimes in with this gem:
    Hello,

This ticket not for can’t reclaimed operation, but for reclaimed not let device change to fine status.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Hello,

This ticket not for can’t reclaimed operation, but for reclaimed not let device change to fine status.

I can't decide, was such a "sentence" more likely to come from a person with English as a 6th language or the VP of Sales?

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Hello,

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Seems a little sentences that will get as a sentence through babelfish spend a few times

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Confused me, you all have. Hurts, the brain does

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I want to believe that was the result of some text-to-speech software just happily making wild guesses...

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Le_Goat wrote: »

I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It's just common sense.

• Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    Someone in this thread is having a stroke and I'm not sure it's not me.

• Options
    ...me

• Options
    FredZ89FredZ89 Huehuehueh Registered User regular
    I should've stayed away from this thread for the day... What have I done.

Currently Playing: MH4U
    My Steam profile
    3DS: 1435-3951-4785
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

Oh!

Oh this must be what it feels like when you have a stroke and you can't understand spoken language anymore!

it's sounds vaguely like english but I'll be damned if I understand anything he's saying

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I am not looking forward to this Exchange archiving project. We don't have the Enterprise version, so it's just not going to be fun working with PST file limits, quotas, and the likes. I fucking hate PST files

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    jeffinva wrote: »
    There is one "technical" manager (I use the term very lightly in her regard) who always asks questions, rudely, like "well why did xxx happen?!?" immediately after it occurs, in a way suggesting that absolutely nothing should ever go wrong with a server. So the last time one of her servers shit the bed because of her vendor's awful services and apps, I sent her the enter post mortem and debug analysis without any helpful context, but the summary showing that every last downtime she has ever suffered is because of that vendor, and mentioned in the suggestions that the manager in charge of the project (haha) should have caught this a year ago. I CC'd her and my director.

That was a month ago. I have not heard a single peep out of her since.

That reminds me of an email exchange I had last week. It started with a colleague (whom I shall dub XXX) in marketing asking me to write up a report regarding "the note 191 problem", and me replying with the joker "not sure if serious" meme.

Marketing Head:
    We are being real as every time fit or something doesn’t work, revenue decreases. We’ll spend the rest of the year fighting for every dollar. XXX has been watching google analytics by the hour to identify an issue. If he wasn’t doing this, we might see a gap in sales that is larger. We will continue to review traffic/revenue during the week multiple times a day. Moving forward, it might help us to document all the issues and the fixes so we have a guide to look back and refer to issues/fixes.

Me:
    I understand your perspective, but the situation is this:
    Last week XXX came to me concerned that site sales were down for the day. He asked me to find something to do to it, so I ran the most harmless thing I could - a database synch. If I recall correctly, there was one or two notes that needed to be added, but nothing that would impact sales. And since I didn’t actually reset the site to clear the cache, it literally had no effect. He later came back and let me know whatever I did worked and sales were back up.
    Yesterday, XXX came over and said sales were down again, and to do whatever I did last time. I told him I’d done nothing last time, and I’d be happy to do nothing again. He reminded me that I’d done a database synch, so I ran that to make him happy. The only interesting thing on the synch was a new note was added, so I joked that “Note 191 will fix all our sales problems…”
    So, no, I can’t write up a report about problem that existed only in a joking remark that I made to get XXX to let me get back to work.

• Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    Hello,

Autocorrect is a hell of a drug

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    New personal ISP development:

"There is a street-wide issue that is affecting your internet"

Vindication!

We will fix it Friday or Monday, maybe.

Disappointment.

• Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It's just common sense.

Gene Ray is a mod at Penny Arcade forums apparently:

http://www.timecube.com

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Tell me if this makes any sense.
    The Basics:
    - We have an HP plotter for large drawings
    - It is network connected
    - It is installed on the server and shared with the newest drivers

The problem:
    - Installing it on a workstation from the server does not let it print, the print spools, gets sent to the printer which then shows processing before the printer completely deletes it
    - The server reports the print as complete, there are no errors listed on either the server or printer

The "solution":
    - It is possible to print using the HP installation package....

I spent the entire day trying to figure this out yesterday with no luck, 3 different sets of drivers, 3 different computers, the only thing that works is using the installation package which gives me 200% more work to do when installing this for someone.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Have you considered fuuuuuck printers and smashing it with a wrench?

• Options
    Something like that but involving oncoming traffic instead.

Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    In another life I was an engineer for imaging systems and printers, including plotters. A lot of the drivers are super specific and they hardly ever work with print servers. In fact many have their own incredibly expensive print servers sold as either devices or software that needs some old version of Windows or Mac to run on.

It was a soul crushing job, especially having to assist with coding for them.

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Something like that but involving oncoming traffic instead.

I mean, it may be an HP, but something tells me oncoming traffic wouldn't be thorough enough to destroy one of those things. I'm pretty sure that thing would do more damage to most sedans than it would sustain to itself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's one of the smaller ones so I think a car could hold its own. Now if it was our old Oce plotter made of steel it would be a different story.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

scanners-head-explode-230711.jpg

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Nrggggg

client asks why their workstations aren't updating AV

previous IT guy installed Kaspersky manually on each one, none are listed in the console and Kaseya shows they're running different Kaspersky products version 8-10

Update: I was able to figure out the security console, push the network agent that it uses for monitoring and task management, and update all the clients automatically.

/flex

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Is this the day bowen makes his inglorious return to the thread? Any post could be the one that sets him free...

Cog on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Is this the day bowen makes his inglorious return to the thread? Any post could be the one that sets him free...

Well, this isn't a thread that Geth automatically handles, so we'll get to page 100, then we'll keep posting for a little bit and someone will start saying "hey, we should probably make a new thread", but no one will want to make the new OP, so the thread will go on for a few more pages, and finally someone will suck it up and make a new OP, but people will miss the post and keep posting in this thread until finally a mod locks it.

So yeah, sorry bowen, it's gonna be a bit.

• Options
    My suggestion for new OP:

"Fucking users, man."

/fin

• Options
    sysadmins, welcome back Bowen: Java appreciation and user accommodation society

• Options
    Alternately we just quote Echo's stroke inducing post up the page here and call it a day.

• Options
    Apothe0sis's title with Echo's post as context-less body.

Agreed?

• Options
    Both [sysadmin] and [sysadmins] are the tags, btw, to whoever gets the next thread.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    How do you make it show up with a fancy colorful background for the word in the subject like I see the kids today do on some of their posts?

• Options
    How do you make it show up with a fancy colorful background for the word in the subject like I see the kids today do on some of their posts?

Icy sets the keywords. You just have to put them in brackets in the thread title.

• Options
    Oooh.

Handy that, Icy being all up in our business.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Hello,

This ticket was not filed because the reclamation operation failed, but because the reclamation did not set the device status properly.
    uean wrote: »

Gene Ray is a mod at Penny Arcade forums apparently:

http://www.timecube.com

Nah, not enough of the message was in all caps, and I didn't see the phrase "EDUCATED STUPID".

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Setting up department hierarchy for a customer.

One of the department names is Khan. I want to shake my fist at the sky and yell KHHAAAAAAANNNN!!

But no one anywhere near me would get it. :(

• Options

One of the department names is Khan. I want to shake my fist at the sky and yell KHHAAAAAAANNNN!!

How is this thing possible?

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

I don't understand how this works either.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

I don't understand how this works either.

Old people.

Lots of old people.

This discussion has been closed.