As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of Shield] Cyber crime just got a whole lot deadlier!

• Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    It was decent. Interested to see how the details behind Coulson's resurrection play out.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    it was ok

about what i expected for a whedon pilot with a lot of ground to cover and a large amount of material to establish

too early to tell if it will end up bein good or bad

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Hard to imagine it being bad since whedons worst show (dollhouse) was still compelling and interesting if poorly executed and or rushed.

Still better than most dramas.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    I loved it all, except that last 5 seconds.
    HOVA CAR really bothered me for some reason.

Are you kidding me? That's a SHIELD classic. Pure Jim Steranko. Also, it was a nod to
    Howard Stark's flying car in Captain America. Same model, and judging by the line about it being one of Coulson's "vintage collectibles," probably the original car.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Coulson and Hill we're the best part. The other agents were very bland and generic. It was decent for a first episode, I'll at least watch the first season.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Gods. People need to stop playing Minecraft on my TV so I can watch this thing.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Didn't realize there was a thread for this show!

Just finished watching the pilot and it's definitely a Whedon show. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Was watching this in and out, missed quite a bit though. Question:
    Did he confirm kill his boss?

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    My thoughts about Coulson's resurrection:
    Its going to tie into Avengers 2: age of ultron.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Seems cool, I'm just semi interested in the show because all the mutie love is stuck in the land of Fox. :(

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    buffylovebuffylove Registered User regular
    it was ok about what i expected for a whedon pilot with a lot of ground to cover and a large amount of material to establish too early to tell if it will end up bein good or bad

Unfortunately it was Whedon's brother and not the man himself. Joss loves pain. He would have found a stronger emotional angle. This had action and humor and was fun, but the way most of the character were all generic...Whedon doesn't do that. I still have high hopes for the series. I think if they went more silly/strange it would be closer to littleWhedon's strike zone. I don't think action/mystery is it.

Plus that hacker girl is hot!

New story -- DUMP SITE
    banner___book_with_title_close_up_resized_by_paul_a_newman-d6mcq5v.jpg
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    buffylove wrote: »
    it was ok about what i expected for a whedon pilot with a lot of ground to cover and a large amount of material to establish too early to tell if it will end up bein good or bad

Unfortunately it was Whedon's brother and not the man himself. Joss loves pain. He would have found a stronger emotional angle. This had action and humor and was fun, but the way most of the character were all generic...Whedon doesn't do that. I still have high hopes for the series. I think if they went more silly/strange it would be closer to littleWhedon's strike zone. I don't think action/mystery is it.

I think it would have been hard even for Whedon himself to throw much more emotion into this episode than what we got, there was just too much exposition needed to set everything up. That being said I think that they did a pretty good job making us (me at least) feel for Gunn's character. I really liked what I saw so far and am excited to see where the season goes.

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    I just want Chun Li(Ming Na): Agent of Shield to kick some more ass.

• Options
    Geddoe wrote: »
    I just want Chun Li Mulan(Ming Na): Agent of Shield to kick some more ass.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I thought the first episode was above expectations, considering the very direct link to Iron Man 3. I didn't expect any overt connections at all besides Coulson and them saying "Battle of New York" every few seconds. I also can't decide if that's a terrible name for what happened in Avengers. I mean, sometimes things are named like that, but sometimes they're 9/11 or something like that.

So, character stuff.

-White bread was probably betrayed by a previous team, hence the "poop with knives" on his stat sheet.
    -Hacker girl was involved in crimes. I do wonder if she actually did them or if it was a frame. Maybe like a stalker or something? You don't erase yourself from the system for no reason at all.
    -The "driver" of their "bus" probably either killed way too many people to where she refuses action or maybe she failed on a mission somehow.
    -Coulson is a robot clone from an alternate future where... etc
    -The British twins were transplanted from the Normandy.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Joss Whedon directed the pilot.

• Options

Joss Whedon directed the pilot.

He also co-wrote it. Or at least he's credited for co-writing.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I was going to pass on this because I am not, in general, what you could call a fan of Joss Whedon, but apparently he has a really minimal role in the production of this and it's just his name?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    the truth serum bit was fun and proof of 100% uncut Whedon

definitely the most enjoyable new show out there so far, even though August Richards always rubs me the wrong way.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I do hope they have a good explanation for how the villains can have access to all sorts of top secret super advanced and alien technology but decided to test that stuff on random civilians and setting them loose on the streets. An evil clandestine organization should have the same high standards for all of its departments. You don't want to hire the best spies and thieves while skimping on your illegal human experimentation budget.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I wasnt originally planning on watching it but I saw this thread at 8:01 and figured what the hell and gave it a shot.

My expectations were super low, so needless to say it was much better than I expected. Im in for another couple of episodes at the least.

I thought the quality of the show was inconsistent - at times it felt like a movie blockbuster, but at others it felt like I was watching a better version of Alphas.

Clark Gregg was easily the highlight, and the possibility of maybe getting a double dose of Cobie Smulders here and there is a definite bonus. None of the other characters really bothered me, but none of them really stood out either.

Yeah, my initial reaction was dumb but then a split second later it was all
    hover-vette yessss.

emp123 on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    So, does the pilot explain
    what SHIELD was doing instead of, ya know, stopping a rash of exploding doods and saving the president from an army of firebenders?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    what SHIELD was doing instead of, ya know, stopping a rash of exploding doods and saving the president from an army of firebenders?

Not yet (if they will).

But they weren't sitting on their ass at least. They know WHAT it was, they just didn't do anything.
    Didn't Rhody say that the US asked SHIELD to "sit this one out"?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The way they explained it it sounds like this is happening prior to Iron Man 3's plot

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Quick! Someone cue up the Iron Man 3 disc and see if the events sync!

EDIT: When Tony does his Mandarin attacks timeline, see if there's another one in LA besides the one in the film.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    The way they explained it it sounds like this is happening prior to Iron Man 3's plot
    Except
    the whole Extremis thing didn't happen until IM3

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I haven't gotten to watch this yet...I will tonight.

I also have Iron Man 3 coming from Best Buy online, so I'll watch that this weekend. I definitely look forward to seeing how they sync.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Quick! Someone cue up the Iron Man 3 disc and see if the events sync!

EDIT: When Tony does his Mandarin attacks timeline, see if there's another one in LA besides the one in the film.

They wouldnt since nobody but AIM knew it was called Extremis until Tony exposed it.

This is post IM3 guys

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I loved the truth serum too and of course when she takes off her coat I was a little "damn" and was sort of expecting him to blurt something out that would have been hillarious.

Overall I found there was some stuff that was a bit bland as others have said but Coulson was amazing and a few things I wanted to bring up now that I think about it...
    Coulson seemed to be getting information awfully quick didn't he? LIke the GPS thing when everyone else was like "OMG WE'RE BEING HACKED" and he knew what it was. As well, when the door came off the van his reaction was a bit...robotic to me. We're I a betting man I would pose two ideas. One, Coulson was transplanted into a LMD (Life Model Decoy) and doesn't realize it and the whole Tahiti thing was while they were doing the work. Or he was put into a robot type body and is going to be Vision like many have suggested.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I don't really get "the characters were bland" after a single 40 minute episode. You're not exactly going to get invested in anyone's journey by that time, unless you pour all the characterisation into a single character.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Link to the episode, though the streaming quality isn't great. :\

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Judging by Hill's response, I'm betting he's a clone. Something to do with the super soldier project.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    I don't really get "the characters were bland" after a single 40 minute episode. You're not exactly going to get invested in anyone's journey by that time, unless you pour all the characterisation into a single character.
    Whedon did this pretty well with Firefly, though. I know I'm not the only one who was hooked after the first episode already, and a lot of that was the characters.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I did like that, aside from Fitz/Simmons, each character got a little mystery relating to them that can develop over the course of the series.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Fakefaux wrote: »

Are you kidding me? That's a SHIELD classic. Pure Jim Steranko. Also, it was a nod to
    Howard Stark's flying car in Captain America. Same model, and judging by the line about it being one of Coulson's "vintage collectibles," probably the original car.

I mean, I get it, :comic books:. But it's all so disjointed against the rest of the show. Everything was very low key when it came to tech(the drones each being specialized was an exception, I accepted this as "tv doesnt have time for forensics team"), and the heavy handed "we have to keep hidden from the public". but nah dude,
    HOVAVETTE to the plane!

Honestly, the rifle bothers me now too, because they show them building a special bullet.... why couldnt it have been fired out of a regular gun instead of that mass effect rifle?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I will admit that Wards characterization as a cold fish isn't exactly going to bring much fun to his scenes without a dreaded foil to follow him around annoying him constantly.

Firefly's pilot was a double episode, so that is a problematic comparison.

On a side note, the planes cargo bay is TOTALLY channelling Serenity, down to the lab at the back.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    Firefly's pilot was a double episode, so that is a problematic comparison.

For most people, the train job is the first episode they saw (since it was the first one aired) and that was pretty good at getting you hooked.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

My thoughts on it
    250px-Avengers_Vol_4_24.1.jpg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

Not yet (if they will).

But they weren't sitting on their ass at least. They know WHAT it was, they just didn't do anything.
    Didn't Rhody say that the US asked SHIELD to "sit this one out"?

As far as anyone knew, the Mandarin was a regular terrorist, using bombs they couldn't identify. That wouldn't be SHIELD's jurisdiction, and considering that many people would be nervous that SHIELD are getting too powerful (especially with Iron Man, Thor and the Hulk being seen as on the team), it makes sense that they wouldn't be involved.
    If Tony had gotten word out that it was people exploding as a result of their super-heated super-soldier experiments, SHIELD would have gotten involved pretty fast.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    So I loved the premiere last night, has anyone seen the numbers yet to see how it fared in the ratings?

Pros:

Fight Choreography - FANTASTIC. There was some Jason Bourne level shit going down in those fight scenes and I was a fan. They've definitely set it up that it's not just going to be wise cracks and internet fights.

Plot - They've tied the universe together well from the start. I'm hoping Cobie Smulders makes it as a regular on S2 when HIMYM wraps up because that'll just take it one step further, but they did a good job of basically saying "everyone in the world knows it's a superhero world now so we've gotta deal with this" Coulson did a great job with his line regarding the hooded hero "Yes we want to contain him, the next guy will want to exploit him, and the one after that will want to dissect him..." Loved that line.

Character Development - It's a pilot, so I gave it a lot of ground. Clark Gregg obviously has his shit together and they've set his story in motion well, the others will come along in time I'm sure. I'm not a HUGE fan of the tech twins but every Gibbs needs his Abby so whatever.

The Superhuman Registration Act - It's there. It's subtle and in just one line of dialogue, but the word "Unregistered" was uttered and I hope that will continue to be a theme.

Cons:

Where are the Avengers? Who cares! - They really need to reel that in within the next few episodes. A lot of reviewers pointed it out, but they need to not get too heavy handed with the references to New York, movie plotlines, and the Avengers themselves every episode because then it's just going to be "let's watch for 45 minutes, not paying attention, hoping for that 10 second cameo by Loki because they booked him this week"

Who's that guy/girl? - I get that it's Movie Marvel and Phase 2 and they need to distance themselves somewhat from the comics to make things digestible but they need to make sure they're keeping the core roster in tact if they're also going to be introducing a bunch of new made up characters. Obviously introducing new made up characters vs using old made up characters works (See: The Walking Dead (Daryl) ) but the entire cast aside from Hill is pretty much newbies and Richards Hooded Hero wasn't a known character either as far as I can tell. I'm fine with it, but make sure we get some stilt man or some b-list villains too from time to time with some recognizable names.

The Mutant Factor? - I don't know how it's gonna play in because Fox still holds the keys to most of that castle, but throughout the Phase 1 films the word Mutant hasn't been spoken once. It's confirmed Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch are going to be in A2 so I know Marvel has gotten some of those rights back, but we need to quickly establish that it's not just gods and super soldiers and metal suited billionaires running the show, it's also the next stage of human evolution. I hope it at least gets a nod this season.

Overall, I got the Whedon tones from the dialogue that I was hoping for, the ever expanding universal possibilities I've come to love from the Phase 1 films, some above par acting (something that was sadly, tragically missing from No Ordinary Family despite having a good cast), and the knowledge that we're getting a full 22 this year, and provided the ratings don't completely go down the toilet and Marvel movies continue to perform profitably at the box office we'll be assured a Season 2.

are YOU on the beer list?
This discussion has been closed.