As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OH SHIT AUTUMN STEAM SALE

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Legba wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    Legba wrote: »
    I would be super excited for a Portal 3 and/or Left 3 Dead announcement.

They said it wouldn't be a game announcement.

Which means it totally is a game announcement

Way to game the announcement.

A rock that is thrown at the target always misses, so throwing a rock NOT at the target is sure to hit!

tumblr_mlobvjCSZt1rwy3fgo1_500.gif

Enc on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    oh hey, omikron: the nomad soul is on steam now
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/243000/

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I

loved

Omikron

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    hell if I'm paying $10 though

Weaver on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I wonder if there will be a ton of games available on steam that have a lot of problems running on steamOS.

I don't know anything about OS' I just think that would be hilarious.
    Anything that uses Microsoft's DirectX instead of OPENGL.

By the way, the third announcement is either a Source 2 announcement or a fifty-foot tall pillar of fire that says SUCK IT UNREAL. It depends on what angle you view it from.

• Options
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    I wonder if there will be a ton of games available on steam that have a lot of problems running on steamOS.

By the way, the third announcement is either a Source 2 announcement or a fifty-foot tall pillar of fire that says SUCK IT UNREAL. It depends on what angle you view it from.

What makes you say that? The controller theory is pretty compelling.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Valve has compiler technology that can wizardly convert games written on one platform to another platform, of course with a certain set of preconditions

Half-Life 2 to the best of my knowledge was written in DirectX, DirectX was considered superior up until mobile devices started becoming a big thing

but Valve added a bunch of junk to their toolchain so they could take a game like Half-Life 2 and build optimized versions to both PC and PS3 (that's when the orange box came out)

So, my suspicion is that they have ways to bridge that gap for some games that perhaps weren't designed for Linux

A statistical majority of things in DirectX have OpenGL analogs... one way or another.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ps3 version of the orange box was ported by EA. THis was back when the PS3 was Gabe's worst thing ever.

• Options
    The PS3 version was published by EA

In the TF2 developer commentary they talk about the compiler stuff they did for targeting the PS3

I don't know, does TF2 still have that old commentary stuff in it?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    i've been waiting all week to make that joke

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

What makes you say that? The controller theory is pretty compelling.

Usually, a stretched out announcement follows a "saving the best for last" path.. Day 3 should be something major that benefits directly from the previous 2 announcements.... A somewhat standard controller really doesn't fit that path (yes, it's modular... but it's not revolutionary)

A game engine on the other hand....

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Jasconius wrote: »
    The PS3 version was published by EA

In the TF2 developer commentary they talk about the compiler stuff they did for targeting the PS3

I don't know, does TF2 still have that old commentary stuff in it?
    While the Windows and Xbox 360 versions of The Orange Box were developed and published by Valve, the development of the PlayStation 3 port was outsourced to Electronic Arts. In an interview with Edge magazine before the game's release, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell commented, "I think the people who have The Orange Box on the PS3 are going to be happy with their game experience. We've done the PC and 360 versions here and EA has a team doing the PS3 version – and they'll make the PS3 version a good product; EA got the job done in putting a lot of people with PS3 experience on the project. But I think it's harder to get it to the same standard as the 360 and PC versions". Despite this, he noted that Valve will probably handle PlayStation 3 versions of its products in the future.[47][48]

EDIT: Link to an archived version of the original interview: web.archive.org/web/20071012224621/http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7422&Itemid=61

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    New theory: reveal three is that the entire system and OS is controlled with the Osmos ui.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    @Zerzhul

Hey late last thread you said you wanted to use your 360 controller on your ps3. I don't know if anybody linked this but uhhh

I just bought one of these because T4CT mentioned it and it seems to do the trick. Apparently introduces a tiny amount of lag so fighting games might be a bit off, but it is working fine for GTA, even though it seems the Dpad isn't quite as responsive as it should be. Anyway, it lets me drive around with real triggers that my fingers aren't constantly in danger of falling off.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    That is super amazing. Unfortunately I only have wireless controllers. I may buy one anyhow.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    why aren't steam machines called gabecubes

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    why aren't steam machines called gabecubes

cgB8IZP.jpg

(Courtesy of David Hellman)

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I keep seeing Day One: Garry's Incident and think its something related to Garry's Mod.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    So why do I only just now see stuff like this on Steam.

Rise of Venice. This looks like a Venice-themed Patrician or Port Royal, and it's making me want it.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Have any of you tried that Ironclad Tactics game that Tycho is talking about in today's newspost?

It sounds kind of neat but I am not fully convinced just from the trailer.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Yeah that trailer was far from selling me on it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Have any of you tried that Ironclad Tactics game that Tycho is talking about in today's newspost?

It sounds kind of neat but I am not fully convinced just from the trailer.

it's interesting, I want to sink more time into it

each battle takes on a grid that's five rows wide

you can summon a card from your hand when your AP regenerates to the right level

each card moves forward at a set rate in real time, but can be paused

each level has challenges to meet, but the ultimate goal is to get enough people across to the enemy's side of the field and acquiring medals

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, Tycho made it sound neat, but the video made it look very... not great.

I think I will try to go read up on what people are saying about it online.

Edit: Okay, the RPS review of the game made it sound pretty neat. I think this may end up scratching the itch I wanted Card Hunter to scratch, but ultimately Card Hunter didn't do much for me.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    That is super amazing. Unfortunately I only have wireless controllers. I may buy one anyhow.

I have a few wired ones because I can use them on either my 360 or pc (mostly pc) and now my ps3!

I really love that controller

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular

oh wow i didn't expect this to be out so soon

i'd be down for some coop spookin

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I uh

Does anyone want coupons for various Train Simulator DLCs? Because I have a bunch!!

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So, I've started playing sleeping dogs again, and now gatsby's clean driving record is sitting there taunting me.

It is infuriating.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    So, I've started playing sleeping dogs again, and now gatsby's clean driving record is sitting there taunting me.

It is infuriating.

add me on steam and eat my 4 minute clean drivveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Options
    I uh

Does anyone want coupons for various Train Simulator DLCs? Because I have a bunch!!

this assumes that everyone doesn't already own them and play them every waking hour of the day

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C12aycIepqA#t=14

yo sean bean fucking loves TS2014

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Sean Bean gets run over in the first hour of the simulation.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The funny thing about trains is almost nobody gives a shit about them.

The few who do, though?

Holy fuck.

Talk about an all-encompassing passion...

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    That's a really well-made ad

• Options
    i envision the guy who started this train simulation series as someone roughly resembling the stapler guy from Office Space, and he thinks he's making millions just because everyone really loves trains, and hasn't seen the youtube videos

• Options
    I think you might underestimate how huge both trains and simulation games are in Europe

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I think the legitimate people who love trains are far more willing to spend the oodles of cash those train sims require than the people who enjoy it ironically or however you'd describe it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    i don't think the train lovers are the ones getting these pushed all the way through Steam Greenlight

i think it's the guys who get high and think buggy train sims are hilarious

• Options
    There was a time when one in three games to come out of Germany was some kind of logistics simulator

• Options
    i actually think the trucking sim is... really good.

and if i was bored and lonely I would be playing the hell out of it

it actually supports my steering wheel better than Gran Turismo does

i wish there was some sort of arcade more of something though, because it can get a little boring driving from Romania to England.

This discussion has been closed.