Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Phalla]: Enemy Unknown -- OPERATION: DEVIL'S MOON Complete!

13468927

Posts

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Most importantly we need someone or multiple people to keep a watch on the western exterior corridor because an push by the aliens through there could easily ruin that entire flank.

    Its already the weakest part of our formation because if that single squad gets wiped out we lose control of the entire western side.

    ObiFett on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Most importantly we need someone or multiple people to keep a watch on the western exterior corridor because an push by the aliens through there could easily ruin that entire flank.

    Its already the weakest part of our formation because if that side gets wiped out we lose control of the entire western side.

    Alpha's on it.

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I have a really bad feeling about this.

    GrimmyTOA
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    @enlightenedbum -- has chiasaur been in contact with you yet today?

    Yep. Do we want to publicly confirm the telephone here, or what?

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

    Day1_zps9e843afb.jpg

    Currently Visible Units:
    Assuran--T19
    Auralynx--E30
    Buddha--F37
    Chiasaur--F36
    Cythraul--Q35
    Ebum--H38
    Egos--U6
    Flarne--V19
    GrimmyTOA--F34
    Iron Weasel--T25
    jdarksun--R28
    kime--R31
    Megafrost--U8
    Mikey CTS--R29
    Mill--X5
    ObiFett--X27
    Peccavi--S18
    SeGaTai--T21
    shalmelo--T23
    SLyM--R32
    Spoit--E27
    The Anonymous--Q34
    Trust--W8
    Turanos--W14
    undergroundmonorail--E33
    Vertroue--U14

    Day 1 has begun. Submit your orders here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cGtO7_EI8Zkld13Ec6U4cQH3iG8RHua5WwwwE3XB4Ko/viewform

    Map quoting!

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    @enlightenedbum -- has chiasaur been in contact with you yet today?

    Yep. Do we want to publicly confirm the telephone here, or what?

    Has my telephone reached you yet?

    steam_sig.png
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    @enlightenedbum -- has chiasaur been in contact with you yet today?

    Yep. Do we want to publicly confirm the telephone here, or what?

    Not necessarily. Wanted to make sure that you were in the loop as to our general plan for the day. I doubt anyone would have messed with a communication. Yet. Much better to wait until we're engaged and a miscommunication will cost us lives. Right now it seems like a lot of risk for little reward.

    With that in mind though, it'd be good practice for squads to make sure that every one of their members has at least two comm links to the rest of the squad. It'll be harder for the mafia to befuddle us that way, and if a squad gets all strung out and the aliens kill the middle link....

    Redundancy is going to be our friend, I think.

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    has chiasaur been in contact with you yet today?

    Yep. Do we want to publicly confirm the telephone here, or what?

    Has my telephone reached you yet?

    Nope! Just have a message from Grimmy here at the far end of the world.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I passed along the gist of it, folded in with the other stuff -- though I forgot to tag it as being from Spoit.

    EDIT: Assuming I got it all, of course.

    GrimmyTOA on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's basically the thing Spoit's been saying in thread that I've been disagreeing with?

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Spoit's mostly been taking issue with movement and order rules in the thread as far as I can see. It was a suggestion to check out the NW.

  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'll just say that the semantic difference between passing through an occupied space as part of a single move action but not as a double move is silly. Unless you have everything automated. In which case it's still kind of silly

    *shrug* That may be. I'm not going to change it now, though, we'll put it on the list of "things wot we can talk about after the game".

    It does help simplify things a bit insofar as it avoids a scenario where your second action being invalid would cascade backwards and prevent your first action.

    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Right, OK, I got that.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I am not part of telephone yet :(

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    How bout the southeast squad runs south around the exterior of the building and gets in position to properly support the southwest squad? edit: Center east could take southeast position watching the windows into the dining room.

    I'm really worried that a concentrated push by aliens on that side could really hurt our entire effort here. One squad is responsible for 50% of our perimeter right now AND have no proper backup/support.

    ObiFett on
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Buddha is probably the worst.

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    ObiFett wrote: »
    How bout the southeast squad runs south around the exterior of the building and gets in position to properly support the southwest squad?

    I'm really worried that a concentrated push by aliens on that side could really hurt our entire effort here. One squad is responsible for 50% of our perimeter right now...

    It would take them a turn and a half for them to get to where chia is now. I think a better plan for mutual support is inside the building, with a dude on D24 and several people close enough to support him if aliens approach. Use that long death corridor to our (potential) advantage.

    Note: this plan assumes aliens aren't tremendously faster than us. Like, say, a Chryssalid.

    enlightenedbum on
    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    How bout the southeast squad runs south around the exterior of the building and gets in position to properly support the southwest squad? edit: Center east could take southeast position watching the windows into the dining room.

    I'm really worried that a concentrated push by aliens on that side could really hurt our entire effort here. One squad is responsible for 50% of our perimeter right now...

    If Alpha (South West) Squad sticks in that corner (moving up to cover the outer west wall) and the South East squad moves into the dining room, they'd be able to support each other through the windows, no?

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Don't even say the "C" word. We better not come across those things as rookies.

  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Like, say, a Chryssalid.


    D:

  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Pretty low to Day 1 Buddha given that GG straight-up got him disqualified last game, guys.

    Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    OSvv7zs.png


    Buddha73
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I think it would be helpful to hear from non-alpha peoples as to what their plans are. We're dominating the discussion a bit here.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    How bout the southeast squad runs south around the exterior of the building and gets in position to properly support the southwest squad? edit: Center east could take southeast position watching the windows into the dining room.

    I'm really worried that a concentrated push by aliens on that side could really hurt our entire effort here. One squad is responsible for 50% of our perimeter right now...

    If Alpha (South West) Squad sticks in that corner (moving up to cover the outer west wall) and the South East squad moves into the dining room, they'd be able to support each other through the windows, no?


    The thing is that you guys need support/backup. IF, and that's a big if, southeast gets into the dining room and doesn't immediately face a barrage of fire from the north, then the might be able to mildly support you throught the windows. That's a ton of cover to fire through though.

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    It might be best to abandon the western flank and send Alpha into the dining room.

  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    They're probably all aliens. We should just hide in this corner on overwatch and shoot anyone who comes near.

    Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    OSvv7zs.png


  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    It might be best to abandon the western flank and send Alpha into the dining room.

    I'm sayin'. The thing about this is that it's hard for anyone to get up there, unless the aliens borrow my grenades are doors plan.

    Are we all deaf, or would we hear a far off explosion?

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    It might be best to abandon the western flank and send Alpha into the dining room.

    Lets wait until we make contact before we retreat. If nothing else, I'll volunteer to camp out and keep an eye up that outside alley to the west. If anything moves down there that I don't cook with overwatch, I'll run like a sissy. At least it'll give us a turn of warning.

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    We need to remember to think of this in Phalla terms. While clearing the aliens is paramount, we also need to find and get rid of the traitors. The less opportunities we give the threats to kill us, the longer we have to root out mafia, which always benefits the village.

    I assume the mafia have a guaranteed kill, but I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of their kills come from alien threats killing us. so lets limit that second form of killing villagers.

    ObiFett on
    kime
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    It might be best to abandon the western flank and send Alpha into the dining room.

    I'm sayin'. The thing about this is that it's hard for anyone to get up there, unless the aliens borrow my grenades are doors plan.

    Are we all deaf, or would we hear a far off explosion?

    Can't you guys just jump through the windows? Screw the doors. Get into support range ASAP.

  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    It might be best to abandon the western flank and send Alpha into the dining room.

    I'm sayin'. The thing about this is that it's hard for anyone to get up there, unless the aliens borrow my grenades are doors plan.

    Are we all deaf, or would we hear a far off explosion?

    Well we can't see movement unless they stop right in front of us, so.... 8->

    steam_sig.png
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    oh spoit...

  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    It might be best to abandon the western flank and send Alpha into the dining room.

    I'm sayin'. The thing about this is that it's hard for anyone to get up there, unless the aliens borrow my grenades are doors plan.

    Are we all deaf, or would we hear a far off explosion?

    Well we can't see movement unless they stop right in front of us, so.... 8->

    You've just been volunteered for Project Icarus, soldier.

    ObiFett wrote: »
    It might be best to abandon the western flank and send Alpha into the dining room.

    I'm sayin'. The thing about this is that it's hard for anyone to get up there, unless the aliens borrow my grenades are doors plan.

    Are we all deaf, or would we hear a far off explosion?

    If all goes according to plan, you guys will be getting audio logs each turn.

    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Actually, that has me thinking

    Can we win by killing all of the alien threats but without eliminating any of the soldiers that are controlled by mafia players?

  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Actually, that has me thinking

    Can we win by killing all of the alien threats but without eliminating any of the soldiers that are controlled by mafia players?

    I kinda wanna CD this, but...no. No, you can't. Traitors must be removed in order for the village to win.

    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    uh

    Can XCOMsoldiers shoot other XCOM soldiers?

    Will we be told who/what shot at us if we survive the attack?

  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Can traitors trigger overwatch?

    steam_sig.png
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    It might be best to abandon the western flank and send Alpha into the dining room.

    Lets wait until we make contact before we retreat. If nothing else, I'll volunteer to camp out and keep an eye up that outside alley to the west. If anything moves down there that I don't cook with overwatch, I'll run like a sissy. At least it'll give us a turn of warning.

    You haven't played XCOM have you? :P If you wait till you make contact to retreat, you will be "retreating" in a plastic bag.

    Auralynx
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    ObiFett wrote: »
    uh

    Can XCOMsoldiers shoot other XCOM soldiers?

    Will we be told who/what shot at us if we survive the attack?

    Yes.

    You'll be told what hit you (as in, was it a bullet? Was it plasma?) but not who.

    Spoit wrote: »
    Can traitors trigger overwatch?

    No. Similarly, neither can a loyal soldier trigger a traitor's overwatch.

    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    It might be best to abandon the western flank and send Alpha into the dining room.

    Lets wait until we make contact before we retreat. If nothing else, I'll volunteer to camp out and keep an eye up that outside alley to the west. If anything moves down there that I don't cook with overwatch, I'll run like a sissy. At least it'll give us a turn of warning.

    You haven't played XCOM have you? :P If you wait till you make contact to retreat, you will be "retreating" in a plastic bag.

    I've played tons of XCOM -- although now that you mention it I'm a bit of a meat grinder.

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    so glad I'm not in your squad. :P

    but seriously, you want to be in a strong position when you make contact. if you are in a weak position now, its best to get into a strong position. I personally think the strongest position for alpha is to be in the dining room or along the exterior of the south wall.

Sign In or Register to comment.