As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

this is a dark souls thread

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Wait

Matt Lees is claiming that Dark Souls 2 has voice chat

What? Why?

because the souls games are about entropy, sort of like the heat death of the world around you.

At some point as the world is being scrambled like an egg, you sort of have to expect someone to appear out of the ether and stab you all while screaming racial and sexual epithets in a child's voice.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    In the PC version I'm going to Invade people piping silly music over my stereo mix.

Although I can't imagine you can talk with invaders, just summons.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wait

What? Why?

because the souls games are about entropy, sort of like the heat death of the world around you.

At some point as the world is being scrambled like an egg, you sort of have to expect someone to appear out of the ether and stab you all while screaming racial and sexual epithets in a child's voice.

You can only speak with co-op people

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I am in favor of voice chat in co-op play

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    It might be nice to voluntarily/opt-in to voice chat with co-op partners. Stuff like working out whether to kill Ornstein or Smough first, or to make sure they know you want to get the boss' tail.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yeah, he said in that video that it's easy to turn off VC. I doubt it will be a big deal.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Wait

What? Why?

You can only speak with co-op people

Oh thank god I almost had myself convinced it was a good idea

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Yeah, he said in that video that it's easy to turn off VC. I doubt it will be a big deal.

what i've heard is that you can only do it if you're both wearing a certain ring

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

what i've heard is that you can only do it if you're both wearing a certain ring

He mentioned the ring but said that was tied to matchmaking, he specifically says the voice chat is a menu option

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

That would actually be pretty neat, and would fit the style of the game to have a cost like that for anyone who wants the very real advantage of improved coordination with their co-op partner.

• Options

That is like, the perfect way to do that!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Wait

What? Why?

Is Matt Lees the guy who made this video, or another person?
    Here's a huge video full of spoilers and shit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbl-DC9LMno

The person in this video says there is voice-chat, but it is co-op only and it is an optional thing.

I also read, via the Not Safe For Work tumblr http://fuckyeahpraisethesun.tumblr.com/ , that Marcus "EpicNameBro" is working on some official strategy guide and he loves Dark Souls 2. It is an official guide, so there is a chance he "sold out" and is shilling, but I kind of doubt it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Yes that is what we just talked about

• Options
    I'll spoiler this just in case. Game mechanic stuff.
    Invaders or other players that build up a bunch of sin having their minimum health cap from dieing go all the way down to 10% (instead of stopping at 50%) is making me giggle probably more than it should. Also the fact that high sin players go to the top of the invasion list.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Oh man

The guilty are going to pay the price so hard

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'll spoiler this just in case. Game mechanic stuff.
    Invaders or other players that build up a bunch of sin having their minimum health cap from dieing go all the way down to 10% (instead of stopping at 50%) is making me giggle probably more than it should. Also the fact that high sin players go to the top of the invasion list.

This is great. I also really like the mechanic of gear having level requirements, becuase that should really hamper the whole highly skilled, probably beat the game 10 times, farming newbies at SL10 invading jerks from Dark Souls 1. I don't have great internet, and I am kind of awful at videogames, so more often than not when I would go human, I would mostly get backstabbed or magic blasted rather helped, and it was exhausting.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

That is like, the perfect way to do that!

Especially since, in order to better facilitate communication, you have to give up a valuable item slot.

if true, that's a great idea.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Hey Dark Souls thread. So, last time I'd left you I had a sorcerer dude who was ripping shit up and had just taken down the heavy-armor dude with Havel's Ring.

Then my HD died.

Now I've got my PC back! I'm back in the mix, and starting a new character. This time, a heavily armored melee guy. I was shocked at how easy the game seemed, as I went through what had taken me 6 hours before in 2. I mean, I took out the gargoyles on my first try without even summoning help! The titanite demon gave me a little trouble since I had nothing really going on in the way of range, but after about 5 runs he was down.

Moonlight butterfly went down like a chump, and so did Havel. Lower undead burg was pretty easy, and I took out the Capra Demon on my 3rd try. He was pretty much just a faster version of Havel.

Then I went down into the sewers, fought Kirk after kindling a bonfire and got a sweet sword, and began a long and boring fight with the gaping dragon in which Solaire was absolutely no help. I stood over where it died and shrugged.

But now I'm going to Blight Town. I didn't even walk in very far before I turned the game off for the day and stepped away. This fucking place is gonna be some hot bullshit, I tell you what. Goddamn shit ogres.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Don't you worry, the shit ogres are definitely not the worst part of blighttown.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Blighttown is a crucial learning experience and some day you will look back and appreciate all the things it taught you.

Unless you played Demon's Souls then it is just a much easier and less annoying Valley of Defilement.

• Options
    Don't you worry, the shit ogres are definitely not the worst part of blighttown.

Blighttown is the worst part of blighttown.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Roleplaying

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    My framerate is the real victim of blighttown

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, Vaati is hot.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    "Are there Sunbros? There'd better be Sunbros."

"There are Sunbros."

:^:

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I was surprised how easy Blighttown was when I did it, after all the build up from Internet comments.

I disliked it but my dislike came from it just being an ugly, unfun area and not from difficulty.

I guess the Valley of Defilement made sure I had nowhere to go but up.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Most of the Blighttown hate comes from the fucking confusing layout, the framerate death and the fucking swarms of mosquitoes. It's not hard, it just sucks.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna stream a run. Not sure how far i'll make it before i get bored, but I'll probably start with catacombs.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Pinwheel is dead and I have a fire scythe... next stop Undeadburg!

now im bored so ima play league i guess

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    oh my god guys inkiness drew some dark souls i am so happy

(inkiness is an artist who does adorable league/dota art)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    That Solaire would make such a great avatar

And that mushroom

and that Astorias

and and and

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Seath the Fabulous

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    tumblr_n1ogfxtaww1rider7o2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n1ogfxtaww1rider7o3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n1ogfxtaww1rider7o4_1280.jpg

Bigger version on her tumblr

Work your magic avatar and sig makers

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So, I'd seen a playthrough of ds a few months before I played it, but at the same time, getting from the bonfire in the middle of blight town down to the bottom on my first try was one of the tense and amazing things I've ever done in gaming.

• Options
    We should totally leave this thread open till the 10th. Start a fresh thread for fresh souls.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Huh. I can't get rid of that image tag in my sig. If I delete it the picture breaks.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    So I delved into Blight town today.

Started off with running down to the start from the sewers and warming up on the shit ogres. I got a pattern of back-stab pushing them off of the pathway and started into the troglodytes when all of the sudden !TOXIC!.

And I'm all....'Bwuh?' Cause there was nobody even near me. Didn't even see shit that coulda done it. So, my health is dropping and I've got nothing to cure it so I start sprinting to see as much as I can before I croak. I take out a few more baddies and start getting desperate. I jump off a ledge onto the floor below when 'Creeeeaaak' "Oh no."
    The floor gives out and I fall to my death. "DARK SOOOOOOUUUUUULS!"

This time, I wasn't gonna do my usual grind through the path of enemies. I run straight past the first shit ogre and dive off the side to a platform I'd seen earlier. I take out the trog there and book it for the ladder up ahead. I climb up, and I hear this 'tink tink tink' sound as I do. When I reach the top there's this dark bark covered dude standing up there. As I finish the climb he plinks me with one of his darts. Boom 50% toxic. "Oh you sonuvabitch!" I slice him up and push the remains over the edge.

From then on I continue my parkour, ignoring enemies and just flying ahead. I spot a bonfire on a massive stone support and slide to home just as a mob was nipping at my heels.

The next leg of the trip was a lot more technical as I spotted the next toxic darter ahead of time and played a game of hide-and-seek with him as I slaughtered. Eventually I made the trip up to take him down, making my way into the drainage pit where I dislodged the shit-tick that was sucking at the exit. So now I got this nifty pyromancy. Haven't used it yet though.

From then on I continued booking it until I found myself at the fetid floor of this fucking shit hole. Imagine my joy when I realized the mud was pure 100% corn-fed bullshit. I had my bow out plinking away at those goddamn flies as I looked for a way to go. In my panicked whiplashing I spotted *Angels singing* another bonfire! I jumped and rolled my way over, sliding up real close to that puppy and praising the sun.

After that, I spent a lot of time screwing around with the ferris wheel before getting frustrated and calling it quits. My next stop would be the weird mound of spiky white junk with all the stone giants around it. I circled around left on the thing, sneaking my way around the giants and into the sticky hole. Ah. Queelag's domain. I'm familiar with the name. I cross the white light and uh...hm....this cut-scene I...I hope this doesn't awaken something in me.

The fight goes pretty well for the most part. I figure out pretty quickly that her back-side is ripe for the smacking and wail away at it while shes vomiting fiery hatred. I get her down to around 1/3rd her health when I get stuck between her and her legs as she finishes another volcanic deluge. Boom, that shockwave. Almost zilch for health and I just get up as she's giving me the lashing of a lifetime. *sigh*

I set the controller down. That's enough for today, Dark Souls.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    oh my god guys inkiness drew some dark souls i am so happy

(inkiness is an artist who does adorable league/dota art)

Gwyn looks like Ice King.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

This discussion has been closed.