As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

BEYOND all logic, BEYOND all writing quality, BEYOND: TWO SOULS

• WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    okay

I finished the chapter called 'Navajo', I'm like twenty minutes passed it

oookay, that was the most David Cage the game has gotten, and I am praying it's just a detour

it didn't even get too dumb till...well, you'll see

however! you do end up riding a horse along a prairie, so if you ever wanted Ellen Page to star in a Red Dead game this might be the closest you'll get

yeah I didn't wanna say anything when you mentioned being there, but yeah

4SMZq.jpg
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Wimble wrote: »
    okay

I finished the chapter called 'Navajo', I'm like twenty minutes passed it

oookay, that was the most David Cage the game has gotten, and I am praying it's just a detour

it didn't even get too dumb till...well, you'll see

however! you do end up riding a horse along a prairie, so if you ever wanted Ellen Page to star in a Red Dead game this might be the closest you'll get

yeah I didn't wanna say anything when you mentioned being there, but yeah

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

everything after that I've really enjoyed though!

well except for

umm

can't quite remember the chapter name but if you're up to Somalia it's safe
    the whole Willem Defoe's wife and daughter dying thing

that was

that

uh

that could have been executed better?

YaYa on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    @YaYa tell me in a spoiler what's so weird about the Navajo section

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Jodie, while hitchiking, ends up in a remote ranch with a bunch of Native Americans, who board the house up every night because crazy shit happens

turns out the crazy shit is a vengeful Native American spirit who shows up and tries to kill everyone

Jodie keeps having these visions of creepy Native American dudes too

so she starts finding these artifacts and getting flashbacks of them and it turns out that a bunch of Native Americans summoned the vengeful spirit who's implied to be from the same dimension as Aiden and the other entities, and Jodie collects all these artifacts and replicates the ritual with the help of the Native Americans and the spirit is sealed away forever

a couple of the Native Americans die in the process and they're buried on sacred ground, and Jodie finds this cave painting that, gasp, looks a lot like a drawing she did as a kid to indicate her connection with Aiden

the surviving Native Americans send Jodie on her way with a motorcycle, and you get the opportunity to make out with the hunkiest one which fuck yes I did

NeoToma
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Jodie, while hitchiking, ends up in a remote ranch with a bunch of Native Americans, who board the house up every night because crazy shit happens

turns out the crazy shit is a vengeful Native American spirit who shows up and tries to kill everyone

Jodie keeps having these visions of creepy Native American dudes too

so she starts finding these artifacts and getting flashbacks of them and it turns out that a bunch of Native Americans summoned the vengeful spirit who's implied to be from the same dimension as Aiden and the other entities, and Jodie collects all these artifacts and replicates the ritual with the help of the Native Americans and the spirit is sealed away forever

a couple of the Native Americans die in the process and they're buried on sacred ground, and Jodie finds this cave painting that, gasp, looks a lot like a drawing she did as a kid to indicate her connection with Aiden

the surviving Native Americans send Jodie on her way with a motorcycle, and you get the opportunity to make out with the hunkiest one which fuck yes I did

That's really fucking dumb

chiasaur11Shadowen
    yep

yep, it is

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    What's dumb about it?

Is it just not executed well? Haven't gotten there yet

Actually calling it dumb is kinda disingenuous to the idea of dumb. Dumb can be funny, intentional or not, entertaining, it can at least draw a positive response out of people.

That's fucking offensive nonsense.

What's dumb about it?

Is it just not executed well? Haven't gotten there yet

did you read what I posted

...Yes?

...Yes?

are you seriously telling me you can't tell what's dumb about what I just posted

come on, Vow

...Yes?

are you seriously telling me you can't tell what's dumb about what I just posted

come on, Vow

Well there's ya problem, yessiree

chiasaur11
    I will admit the parts that happen before the supernatural shit that I described are great, real early Red Dead feel to it all

What's dumb about it?
    In a game where these entities are established to exist, what's the problem with tying them into Native American deities and spirits and such?

It falls into the dumb old trap of linking Native Americans with all kinds of bullshit mysticism, and I'm going to guess it does so in a way that doesn't actually line up with any beliefs that were held by these peoples either currently or in the past

GatsbyStiltsNeoTomaShadowenpooka
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I'd say that part is well executed, but what it is executing is mumbo jumbo

4SMZq.jpg
    Also the white girl is the only one who can help the red man with his problems

GatsbyStiltsNeoTomachiasaur11gtrmpLanglyWeedLordVegetaTransporterAshcroft
    What's dumb about it?
    In a game where these entities are established to exist, what's the problem with tying them into Native American deities and spirits and such?
    Because it's another example of a tribal culture within fiction at fault for something supernatural and fictional which requires the intervention and solution by a white protagonist. It carries colonialist connotations, it undermines the actual real life spirituality and belief system of such cultures, and is an overall oversimplified, generalised depiction of people from said culture.

Shadowen
    I really wish this game had a run button

Artreus
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    ARI, comment: I love Heavy Rain.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

UnbreakableVowRaijin QuickfootStilts
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Man. I'm about to play that section. Not looking forward to it I guess.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    Artreus wrote: »
    Man. I'm about to play that section. Not looking forward to it I guess.

enjoy the scenery and ranching and endure the rest

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    fuck the garage. I don't know if it was me but I swear I saw a disembodied head on the shelf across from the garage entrance

3basnids3lf9.jpg

has anyone else beaten this yet, I wanna talk about endings

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I only just finished Navajo. Think I'm taking a break from it and playing Wolf Among Us instead, because this game is frustrating.

It's not so much the story, which is pretty much what I expected. It's just not fun to play. You basically do one of two things with Aiden over and over, and don't even get me started on how annoying the controls are when trying access a memory from another object or being.

There's been some unintentional hilarity though. The entire hobo chapter was so amazingly stupid that I think I need to play it again when I'm drinking.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I got it from Redbox and finished it last night!

AtomicTofu wrote: »

tell me what your ending was!
    I picked Life and ended up with Ryan, which I kind of regretted picking as soon as I picked it

and Jodie had her whole post-apocalyptic vision

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

I picked Life and ended up with Ryan, which I kind of regretted picking as soon as I picked it

I also picked Life and ended up with Zoey. I also had the whole post-apocalyptic thing, and Jodie was training Zoey to be her badass comrade-in-arms against the evil ghosts. It was kinda awesome.

I also picked Life and ended up with Zoey. I also had the whole post-apocalyptic thing, and Jodie was training Zoey to be her badass comrade-in-arms against the evil ghosts. It was kinda awesome.

ahahaha, excellent
    what exactly does Jodie do with Zoey? and does Aiden make himself known?

ahahaha, excellent
    Yeah, she finds out Aiden is her stillborn twin and gets all sad for a while. Then she goes to live with her homeless friends (who actually have a pretty nice apartment), and she says something about realizing that Zoey is "special" and the "only one" who can fight the spirits, so she needs to train her. Then it just cuts to the post-apocalyptic scene with Jodie and a teenage Zoey in armor and containment fields looking all badass.

ahahaha, excellent
    Yeah, she finds out Aiden is her stillborn twin and gets all sad for a while. Then she goes to live with her homeless friends (who actually have a pretty nice apartment), and she says something about realizing that Zoey is "special" and the "only one" who can fight the spirits, so she needs to train her. Then it just cuts to the post-apocalyptic scene with Jodie and a teenage Zoey in armor and containment fields looking all badass.
    huh!

well, that's interesting

in the Ryan ending, she's hanging out on the beach with him, and then a coconut bumps into her leg and Aiden writes 'still here' in the sand, and you can see that he's watching and talking to Jodie

ahahaha, excellent
    huh!

well, that's interesting

in the Ryan ending, she's hanging out on the beach with him, and then a coconut bumps into her leg and Aiden writes 'still here' in the sand, and you can see that he's watching and talking to Jodie
    Yeah, the Zoey ending never mentions Aiden at all after the twin reveal. Now I want to go back and check out the other endings to see what other crazy stuff they put in there!

there's a youtube compilation that I'll be watching soon

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular

ahahaha, excellent
    huh!

well, that's interesting

Ending
    I chose Jay, and there's a scene where Jodie gets up from her bed in the middle of the night and just stares at herself in the mirror for a bit.

And then Aidan writes "still here" on the mirror.

The post-apocalyptic flash-forward stuff then plays out like it does with the other endings.

IKknkhU.gif
    Also, real talk: Cole is the best character in the game.

IKknkhU.gif
    YaYaMaximumjoshofalltrades
    Stilts wrote: »

ahahaha, excellent
    huh!

well, that's interesting

Ending
    I chose Jay, and there's a scene where Jodie gets up from her bed in the middle of the night and just stares at herself in the mirror for a bit.

The post-apocalyptic flash-forward stuff then plays out like it does with the other endings.
    I find it interesting that Aiden appears to only show up if you choose a male love interest

jealous ghost asshole

AtomicTofu
    Stilts wrote: »

ahahaha, excellent
    huh!

well, that's interesting

Ending

I find it interesting that Aiden appears to only show up if you choose a male love interest

jealous ghost asshole
    Aidan clearly has a sister complex.

IKknkhU.gif
    YaYaShadowen
  • waterbottleswaterbottles Beverage KentuckyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Oh snap. I beat this game on Wednesday, did a couple endings, and have been patiently awaiting PS3Trophies to figure out the Uncontrollable trophy, so I can eventually get a platinum.
    I picked the Life with Zoey as my first ending. I didn't talk during the interrogation, so dumb Ryan had an eye patch. I did not know you could save Paul, and I had killed Norah, so I had to replay to get the "Saved All" trophy.

I played some of the other endings, but I thought it was creepy if you pick Beyond with everyone alive. She just kind of watches them. And probably screws up Zoey by whispering to her constantly.

waterbottles on
    Oh snap. I beat this game on Wednesday, did a couple endings, and have been patiently awaiting PS3Trophies to figure out the Uncontrollable trophy, so I can eventually get a platinum.
    I picked the Life with Zoey as my first ending. I didn't talk during the interrogation, so dumb Ryan had an eye patch. I did not know you could save Paul, and I had killed Norah, so I had to replay to get the "Saved All" trophy.

I played some of the other endings, but I thought it was creepy if you pick Beyond with everyone alive. She just kind of watches them. And probably screws up Zoey by whispering to her constantly.
    I fucked up the interrogation and X as soon as I saw a prompt before reading what it said

kinda glad I did knowing the alternative

also I only worked out I could have saved Paul after Hunky Navajo said something when they were burying him, and I felt okay killing Norah, poor thing was in hell