As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Government Shutdown: Operation Slime Down

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    This is a good video to help explain some stuff with Healthcare in the US
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSjGouBmo0M

You know this video is funny because the reason he gives for healthcare being so high is also the reason quite a few of the articles I read give for college costs being so high.

Hell, a lot of people are comparing the college debt to what happened with the housing bubble a decade or so ago.

That's because they're both intrinsically necessary to survive, both literally and with regards to work.

It's nearly a requirement now to go to college and get a degree in order to acquire a job. As such, college view this event as 'no matter how high we raise the sticker price, they'll still come here, so why not?'

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Some unions are still going strong and their members are better off for it. Tell me we would be having this minimum wage thing if your average wal-mart employee made what some grocery store union members make.

If Wal-Mart employees made more money it would basically end Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart's entire business model is selling cheaply made shit at as low of a price as possible. I hate to get all South Park on this but Wal-Mart is a monster of our own making. If people want Wal-Mart or any other minimum wage employee to make more money the only way it is economically viable is to force consumers to pay more for products.

I buy my coffee from Starbucks because I know they give health benefits to even part-time employees (and do so without a union by the way). I also get my hair cut by a stylist at locally owned salon and tip her well because I know it's hard work and she deserves to be paid more than a Best Cuts employee. This is the only way the lesser skilled can earn a living. You can't just assume there's room for across the board minimum wage increases. You have to break the country's addiction to cheap shit.

Walmart made $20 billion profit last year. Their CEO was paid $21 million.

I think they can afford to pay a living wage to their employees.

CEO's are certainly overpaid and the Waltons are no doubt a bunch of greedy pieces of shit. But they probably pay $40 billion a year (possibly even more) in wages so a significant increase in minimum wage would hit very hard. And since Wal-Mart is a for-profit enterprise the only way you maintain profit margins is to raise prices.

Wal-Mart is a very low margin and very high volume business. They make money because they sell tons of shit

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Some unions are still going strong and their members are better off for it. Tell me we would be having this minimum wage thing if your average wal-mart employee made what some grocery store union members make.

If Wal-Mart employees made more money it would basically end Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart's entire business model is selling cheaply made shit at as low of a price as possible. I hate to get all South Park on this but Wal-Mart is a monster of our own making. If people want Wal-Mart or any other minimum wage employee to make more money the only way it is economically viable is to force consumers to pay more for products.

I buy my coffee from Starbucks because I know they give health benefits to even part-time employees (and do so without a union by the way). I also get my hair cut by a stylist at locally owned salon and tip her well because I know it's hard work and she deserves to be paid more than a Best Cuts employee. This is the only way the lesser skilled can earn a living. You can't just assume there's room for across the board minimum wage increases. You have to break the country's addiction to cheap shit.

This is a hilarious attitude to take.

I worked at McDonalds for nearly 4 years. I got paid $19.70/hour to run the kitchen on night shift.

US McDonalds employees get paid about $8.25.

And yet the difference in menu item prices is only about %33.

All the extra money certainly isn't going into overheads, as pretty much everything in America is cheaper thanks to the market being about 16 times bigger. Shit, we have to import our kitchen and serving machinery from the US, because Maccas won't let restauranteurs source from alternate suppliers. Our monthly electricity bill was somewhere around $4500, for example.

In the US market you have lower operating costs, and despite slightly reduced individual item prices, a bigger profit margin and greater sales.

Why can't some of that money go towards paying the staff better, and giving them healthcare? The store owners will still be multi-millionaires.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Fully 49% of Walmart's outstanding shares are owned by Walton Enterprises, LLC, the family holding company. No other shareholder (including index funds and other investment groups), peaks over 2.5% total ownership.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

You know this video is funny because the reason he gives for healthcare being so high is also the reason quite a few of the articles I read give for college costs being so high.

Hell, a lot of people are comparing the college debt to what happened with the housing bubble a decade or so ago.

Ugh college. Because of that debt shit I can't get a loan out and have to work almost full time while in nursing school. Let me tell you. Thats no fun

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Oghulk wrote: »

That's because they're both intrinsically necessary to survive, both literally and with regards to work.

It's nearly a requirement now to go to college and get a degree in order to acquire a job. As such, college view this event as 'no matter how high we raise the sticker price, they'll still come here, so why not?'

This has actually got me interested in finding different programs for higher education myself.

I know a lot of friends who are 40-50k in debt with not much to show for it, but they did choose bad degrees. I chose Electrical Engineering myself which was good, but kind of burned myself out from doing the school and work thing at the same time.

So...being 30k in debt, I stumbled upon a work-study program at my job that was way cheaper and has about the same payout that I would get in my EE field.

So, I was like fuck it...why not.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Fully 49% of Walmart's outstanding shares are owned by Walton Enterprises, LLC, the family holding company. No other shareholder (including index funds and other investment groups), peaks over 2.5% total ownership.

Anyone that describes the Waltons as anything but greedy pieces of shit is dreaming.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I just moved to America from Australia

I pay almost the exact same tax

And all I get for it is all this Freedom

Didn't they give you a pair of bootstraps to pull up on when you got off the plane?

Well I had to have a job offer to get a visa so essentially I'm stealing a bootstrap from a potential self-made american

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    whoops

DodgeBlan on

• Options

I worked at McDonalds for nearly 4 years. I got paid $19.70/hour to run the kitchen on night shift.

All the extra money certainly isn't going into overheads, as pretty much everything in America is cheaper thanks to the market being about 16 times bigger. Shit, we have to import our kitchen and serving machinery from the US, because Maccas won't let restauranteurs source from alternate suppliers. Our monthly electricity bill was somewhere around $4500, for example.

In the US market you have lower operating costs, and despite slightly reduced individual item prices, a bigger profit margin and greater sales.

Why can't some of that money go towards paying the staff better, and giving them healthcare? The store owners will still be multi-millionaires.

I use to work at a McDonalds in highschool, my current roommate is still a manager there. He has been there since we were in high school. He makes about $8.95 an hour

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Actually there's another separate shareholder named WALTON FAMILY that holds another 1.29%, so really they get over half the dividends.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options

I'm not saying it can't I'm saying a 33% raise in product cost is significant.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular

There's a simple answer to that.

Because the owners want more for themselves and have no incentive to share that wealth. The jobs are minimum wage jobs requiring no skills and only a basic education. Even with high employee turnover, there's always enough labor supply to meet the demands of the jobs without having to raise the wage.

I agree with you in principle, but morals/social contract/compassion are not requirements for business in a capitalistic system.

• Options
    I just moved to America from Australia

I pay almost the exact same tax

And all I get for it is all this Freedom

Didn't they give you a pair of bootstraps to pull up on when you got off the plane?

Well I had to have a job offer to get a visa so essentially I'm stealing a bootstrap from a potential self-made american

Are you white and christian?

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    Man I sure love being furloughed

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Ledneh wrote: »

:/ sorry Ledneh

I'm still sitting here waiting to find out if I am

Do you get backpay? I know that can vary depending on position

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Ah, but there's that study done that shows that significantly increasing the minimum wage in the US would only pump the prices up by a few cents.

http://www.peri.umass.edu/fileadmin/pdf/resources/Minimum_Wage_petition_website.pdf
    http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/economy/news/2013/02/15/53603/a-higher-minimum-wage-will-not-hurt-u-s-businesses/
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-16/u-s-minimum-wage-lower-than-in-lbj-era-needs-a-raise.html

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Man, I wish that when the government got shut down they would shut down Facebook.

I cannot deal with people that think this is only shutting down the parks and that "those parks suck anyway"

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Man, I wish that when the government got shut down they would shut down Facebook.

I cannot deal with people that think this is only shutting down the parks and that "those parks suck anyway"

=/

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Semi related to past discussion:

I think what unions do for their employees is great but unions themselves can be a bit of a shitshow

I had to seek full time employment at whole foods after I was unable to get trained as a meatcutter because we were only allowed x number per district

• Options

Ah, but there's that study done that shows that significantly increasing the minimum wage in the US would only pump the prices up by a few cents.

http://www.peri.umass.edu/fileadmin/pdf/resources/Minimum_Wage_petition_website.pdf
    http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/economy/news/2013/02/15/53603/a-higher-minimum-wage-will-not-hurt-u-s-businesses/
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-16/u-s-minimum-wage-lower-than-in-lbj-era-needs-a-raise.html

You're betting on the upper of the upper class taking a hit and not passing it on to the consumers (middle). That has never gone the way of the middle class in the history of ever. There is no leverage short of open, armed revolt that will open their wallets to distribute wealth more evenly. Unfortunately far to many people are living well off enough and are educated enough to know that shit can get a whole lot worse.

Until Americans can overthrow the government view a web poll or a Facebook thumbs up/down, the peasants will not be revolting.

• Options
    Hullis wrote: »

I think what unions do for their employees is great but unions themselves can be a bit of a shitshow

I had to seek full time employment at whole foods after I was unable to get trained as a meatcutter because we were only allowed x number per district

Hullis, do you currently work at Whole Foods?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Exactly how long do we reckon that the government will be closed?

I hope it lasts until Halloween.

Then I can start up my ghost tours of the vacant Capitol Hill.

Bring your shitty cameras, dowsing rods and $15 dollars as we search for the illusive spirits of the American Dream and Jimmy Carter!

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2013

Boss called late last night and said it depends, like direct government workers (i'm with a contractor), on congress passing a provision for backpay so they can get the money they'd need to pay us

so fat fucking chance probably

At least the company's still paying the have-to-work essential persons

Ledneh on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Uh yeah...it's not gonna fix everything in a snap. But what universe are YOU living where not giving employees representation against their employers is NOT going to fix anything? Right now, if you're not in a union and your employer cuts off your insurance and cuts your pay 10% what exactly are you going to do to fight back against it?

Find another job.

Look at this post.

An entire political party in a country thinks this is a reasonable response with nothing wrong in saying it. Said political party has lost two elections in a row now and doesn't know why.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Uh yeah...it's not gonna fix everything in a snap. But what universe are YOU living where not giving employees representation against their employers is NOT going to fix anything? Right now, if you're not in a union and your employer cuts off your insurance and cuts your pay 10% what exactly are you going to do to fight back against it?

Find another job.

Look at this post.

An entire political party in a country thinks this is a reasonable response with nothing wrong in saying it. Said political party has lost two elections in a row now and doesn't know why.

oh-get-a-job-charlie-day.jpg

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular

Find another job.

Look at this post.

I'm just telling you what works

• Options

Boss called late last night and said it depends, like direct government workers (i'm with a contractor), on congress passing a provision for backpay

so fat fucking chance probably

At least the company's still paying the have-to-work essential persons

I'm a contractor as well, good luck sir
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Exactly how long do we reckon that the government will be closed?

I hope it lasts until Halloween.

Then I can start up my ghost tours of the vacant Capitol Hill.

Bring your shitty cameras, dowsing rods and $15 dollars as we search for the illusive spirits of the American Dream and Jimmy Carter!

I know you're just making a joke but if the Furlough goes on a month I'm going to either have to take out a loan or lose my apartment

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I don't think anyone would say unions are perfect. But they are the only way to represent yourself against any transgression by your employer.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

Find another job.

Look at this post.

You have literally no concept of reality

• Options

I don't think anyone would say unions are perfect. But they are the only way to represent yourself against any transgression by your employer.

Not the only way. Just the way that requires the absolute least effort on the part of the citizen.

In keeping with the Democratic platform

• Options

You're betting on the upper of the upper class taking a hit and not passing it on to the consumers (middle). That has never gone the way of the middle class in the history of ever. There is no leverage short of open, armed revolt that will open their wallets to distribute wealth more evenly. Unfortunately far to many people are living well off enough and are educated enough to know that shit can get a whole lot worse.

Until Americans can overthrow the government view a web poll or a Facebook thumbs up/down, the peasants will not be revolting.

Thats an increadibly pessemistic view of things. There are people in the government fighting for our rights. It just always get buried and its sad that more americans don't seem to care about government

• Options

Find another job.

Look at this post.

You have literally no concept of reality

How well is your concept working out today?

• Options

Not the only way. Just the way that requires the absolute least effort on the part of the citizen.

Okay please explain what else you can do

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

Thats an increadibly pessemistic view of things. There are people in the government fighting for our rights. It just always get buried and its sad that more americans don't seem to care about government

A pessimist is what an optimist calls a realist.

• Options

You cannot be serious. There is no way.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    guys we just have to get jasc to say suinocsaj and he'll go away

• Options
    I love america

obviously it's why I'm here

and the less regulation around business than most other western countries is why the company that I work for (an IT startup) even sent me here. And I guess it's a big part of what makes america america.

but I'm in new york and it's obvious that things are pretty shit for a much larger number of people than pretty much any other western democracy I've been to.

and it's fine if you think that regulation is bad, for whatever reasons. Just say that

but pretending like an increase in minimum wage, worker protections or whatever whatever socialist program is somehow a threat to the whole system is kinda stupid. Because every other western democracy has those things, and for average joe it tends to work out better. And the whole system doesn't come crashing down. And when the whole system comes crashing down, it tends to be because of other things.

• Options

You cannot be serious. There is no way.

I am serious.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »
    Ok I have to ask and its probably a stupid question. I work for an American company (but as part of its EMEA business unit). I work with lots of American people and some of them are against Obamacare simply because the United States is in too much debt.

How is the US in so much debt when they're NOT forking out for universal healthcare?

I love the NHS but I appreciate that its as expensive as fuck to run and takes a big chunk out of the overall UK budget. To my understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the US doesn't have such a financial commitment.

I had a discussion with an American friend about the cost of health care, and after being aghast at the cost of health insurance, I asked how much he saves in taxes compared to someone like myself in a socialist country like Canada. Turns out, we both make roughly the same amount of money, he pays more in taxes, and then he still needs to pay for outrageously expensive health insurance on top of that. GOD BLESS AMERICA

How does that even work?

Most people have no idea what they actually pay in taxes.

At most, there may be a very tiny slice of low-middle income in the US where you could actually pay more than an equivalent Canadian

And you can say that from any kind of a position of authority because?

No he's probably right. Maybe some Americans of equivalent incomes have a higher marginal income tax rate but with all the other taxes Canadians on average pay far more. Not to mention the average cost of living is far higher in Canada.

We do pay more in taxes than a lot of states seem to be charged, but it balances out in how little we have to pay personally for education and health care.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
This discussion has been closed.